Whitney 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Prospect Poll #19

Laganiere is going to be 18th, no need to wait until the poll closes tomorrow.

Updated rankings here.

Last edited by Spicy Porkins: 08-04-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Selanne138

vCash: 500
Thompson again.

But predicting that Friberg will take the cake here.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Thompson again.

But predicting that Friberg will take the cake here.
I like Thompson as well.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:03 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
voted clark

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Sarault again

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 06:04 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Friberg should not be beating Thompson

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Friberg should not be beating Thompson
I'm curious - do you have any particular reason Thompson should be ahead?

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:48 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Went with Thompson here, I think he's kind of flown under the radar since being picked. His skill set should translate well to the next level if he can maintain his excellent footwork while putting on bulk. Could be a guy who shoots up through the system.

I really don't know who I'm going to go with next, still a solid group of players but it's tough to sort them out. Friberg/Sarault/Clark/Cramarossa/Whitney/O'brien/Lind/Aaltonen...?

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Koffein

I think we still have a handful of guys that's more promising than Friberg. He had a really good WJC tournament when he got hot but I feel that he likely tops out as a pretty good AHL player. Have some doubt he'll stay in NA a long time.
Besse, Sarault and Thompson have the highest ceilings of the remaining prospects by a fair margin IMO, so going with Thompson as the least likely bust of that group.

Koffein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:07 AM
Paul4587

Friberg had a pretty successful year in the SHL. He was by no means as impressive as Karlsson but he's far more developed than the likes of Thompson and while you could argue whose upside is better Friberg at this point has a higher probability of being an NHLer.

Old
08-06-2013, 03:38 AM
Koffein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Friberg had a pretty successful year in the SHL. He was by no means as impressive as Karlsson but he's far more developed than the likes of Thompson and while you could argue whose upside is better Friberg at this point has a higher probability of being an NHLer.
I'm not sure I would call it very successful. His individual stats, even though improved from the previous season, is not that impressive and his team just got relegated from the SEL/SHL. After the success he had at the WJC last year his coach wanted to give him a chance at a more prominent role on the team, but that experiment failed pretty quickly.
Now, I will admit I don't watch SHL much these days compared to my countrymen, but he never stood out to me when I did watch him play (except for the WJC) and those who watch him on a regular basis seem to have similar opinions. Not a bad player by any means, but not good enough to climb the depth charts of an NHL club. Sure, it's a plus that he's further along in his development and has experience playing against grown men from a young age compared to Thompson in this case but from what he has shown so far it doesn't make him a lock or even much of a better bet to make the team one day.
But he's still young and is a hard worker so with time for growth and development, who knows? One can always hope for the best. He's not a bad prospect, but I think we still have a bunch of available names still in the poll that either have a higher ceiling or a better chance of developing into a serviceable NHL player.

Koffein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 05:17 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Friberg is older, I wouldn't say that means he has a better chance of being in the NHL, or more importantly, staying there.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 05:19 AM
Exit Dose

After watching a bit more of a Thompson at Lake Placid, I think I should have started voting for him several spots higher than I did.

Old
08-06-2013, 05:27 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Friberg is older, I wouldn't say that means he has a better chance of being in the NHL, or more importantly, staying there.
I disagree - the fact he's that much further along in his development means he doesn't have as long of a road ahead. He may not possess the same upside (although from everything I've read Thompson doesn't have a huge amount of upside either) but we don't even know how Thompson adapts to College, let alone the professional level.

Also, Corey Pronman seems unimpressed with Thompson at Lake Placid. Said he's struggling with the pace just like he did with the U18s.

Old
08-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I disagree - the fact he's that much further along in his development means he doesn't have as long of a road ahead. He may not possess the same upside (although from everything I've read Thompson doesn't have a huge amount of upside either) but we don't even know how Thompson adapts to College, let alone the professional level.

Also, Corey Pronman seems unimpressed with Thompson at Lake Placid. Said he's struggling with the pace just like he did with the U18s.
If how we're gauging prospects is how far along they are, then Friberg and Wagner should be ahead of a lot of guys on this list, but that's not the case, is it?

Thompson is one of the youngest players at that camp. It's not really that surprising that the pieces aren't all in place at the moment. He's a very late birthday - weeks away from being eligible for the 2014 draft.

I also don't really give a damn what Pronman has to say about anything.

Here's something from someone that I do:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Peters
Keaton Thompson (Univ. of North Dakota) — USA Blue — Thompson’s been one of those prospects that can be a bit perplexing. He’s got a lot of tools to be a really strong two-way defenseman, but I think he’s still working on putting it all together. No question, Thompson has some puck-moving upside, with some physicality and smooth skating ability. He needs to make some crisper decisions when he has the puck, which I think will come with maturity and confidence. I think it’s going to be tough for Thompson to make a breakthrough for this team at this point, but I really like his potential for next year’s team. He’s going to get some great coaching at UND this year and should be able to round out his game a bit more. Thompson does have the potential to break out even as a freshman. If he does, his prospects for the WJC change dramatically. We’ll see how he handles the camp first, though. Anaheim Ducks (2013, 3rd Rd., 87th overall)

Old
08-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
If how we're gauging prospects is how far along they are, then Friberg and Wagner should be ahead of a lot of guys on this list, but that's not the case, is it?
I think the overall issue is there is no constant guideline for what fans are suppose to vote on. Everyone has a different criteria for what constitutes the most potential.

That is the thing with these polls. I am shocked some posters think so highly of some prospects, but I'd never consider them wrong. As there is no right answer to what makes the best prospect.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:09 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Thompson seems like a pretty big question mark to me. So I can't rate him too high. That said, it is prospect #19.

The good news is that NCAA is probably the perfect development path for him. It seems like he might need the extra 2 years.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Yeah, i also just can`t rate Thompson above some others. I also agree of him being a project for long term but a lot of things i read about him are very good. Although some reports say he plays physical, and some reports stresses that he is a great skater but lacks physicality.
Anyway, if he is almost an undrafted guy (because of birth date) and still attends USA U20 camp, it`s a good thing i guess. Even though USA invited a lot of guys for their 2 teams.

Anyway i still take Sarault. He was 1 point short of the best scorer in the OHL (even though he is a overager). He was the best passer in OHL last season and was able to get 6 assists in 11 games in Norfolk last season already. And even if it all goes bad in his pro career and his offense doesn`t translate to profesional level, he is known as a smart player that can play checking/energy role and kill off penalties. He will need to get bigger but hopefully that won`t be a problem.
Some reports even give him 2nd line center upside in NHL, he just will need time to see what he can do.

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
I think the overall issue is there is no constant guideline for what fans are suppose to vote on. Everyone has a different criteria for what constitutes the most potential.
I agree, but that's not really what my point of contention was. Friberg is closer to the NHL right now, but that doesn't say anything about his ability to actually get there and stick. Clark is closer than Theodore, but that doesn't really change who has the harder to find skill set, nor does it mean he'll ever amount to much beyond where he's at now.

Old
08-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Thompson seems like a pretty big question mark to me. So I can't rate him too high. That said, it is prospect #19.

The good news is that NCAA is probably the perfect development path for him. It seems like he might need the extra 2 years.
I'm not really sure where all this pessimism is coming from. It's not like Thompson was a fringe prospect that we picked rounds earlier than expected. This thread is the only place where I've seen people questioning his upside or long term outlook. He was cut from camp today, but most of the talk has been that he's expected back next year. It wasn't the same, last year, when Brian Cooper was cut.

Old
08-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Realistically it should be a combination of upside and likelihood to get there. I personally (and at this point with most of the prospects in this range my opinion is mostly based on reports from various sources - I've only seen Friberg play in limited samples and haven't seen anything from Thomson) don't think the upside between Thompson and Friberg is great enough to compensate the fact that Friberg is a much safer choice seeing as he's already played 2 years of pro hockey.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:39 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
I'm not really sure where all this pessimism is coming from. It's not like Thompson was a fringe prospect that we picked rounds earlier than expected. This thread is the only place where I've seen people questioning his upside or long term outlook. He was cut from camp today, but most of the talk has been that he's expected back next year. It wasn't the same, last year, when Brian Cooper was cut.
His scouting report sounds like a very raw, toolsy guy. The report you quoted is among the reports that seem to imply that.

Also his report mentions inconsistency and problems with decisions. Those are among the worst red flags in my book.

And finally, by default I don't rate new prospects too high just because I prefer older guys who have improved. I like to see an upward trajectory. It's just my default system.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote