HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Ryan

Old
08-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 500
Bobby Ryan

So I've been wanting to ask everyone this since the day he was traded but kind of spaces it off and I haven't seen it in any threads since either. Does him being traded to Ottawa affect anyone's opinion that he'll be a flyer in 2 years or would have been. What's everyone's thoughts of now? Still think he'll be a flyer in 2 years? Or does it deped on his experience in Ottawa?

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Snotbubbles

I think it lessens his chances of coming to Philly. In Anaheim, I didn't get the sense that they were gonna give him the contract he was looking for. With the assets Ottawa gave up for him, I expect them to give him a contract offer for the type of money and term he wants. So it really boils down to whether Ryan really wanting to come to Philly. That's something that no one can answer but him.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 05:31 PM
flyershockey

I always thought it was a stretch for him to come to Philadelphia, but I think the trade pretty much seals it that he's not coming here. Ottawa didn't trade for him if they didn't fully plan on doing everything they can to resign him, and they'll have the money to get a deal done. Even if he really wants to be here, I don't think they'll have the space to offer that a bunch of other teams will. I can't see him walking away from a bunch of money just to come home.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

He'll sign a long term deal with the Sens.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 05:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think the whole "Bobby Ryan will be a Flyer as soon as he is out of RFA status" was very much overblown. Plenty of NHLers would love to play for their favorite teams, but money talks. If he makes it to UFA status and the Flyers make a comparable offer to other team's offers, he may be more inclined to take the deal, but if someone makes a bigger offer, his desire to play for Philly will likely take a backseat, as it does in most cases. You think he's the only guy in the NHL who expressed an interest playing for his boyhood team?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 05:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I would be surprised if he didn't sign a new contract with the Sens.

In his first OTR interview with Michael Landsberg on TSN, Ryan did say that the player he is most looking forward to playing againt on a regular basis now is Giroux. Conspiracy-speak: Ryan can't wait to play with Giroux and will ultimately sign with the Flyers.

08-06-2013, 06:11 PM
The Couturier Effect

Like others have said, the Sens didn't trade away all those assets for 2 years of Ryan. I would be shocked if they didn't re-sign him.

Last edited by The Couturier Effect: 08-06-2013 at 07:03 PM.
The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 06:21 PM
KJS14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Like others have said, the Sens didn't trade away all those assets for 1 year of Ryan. I would be shocked if they didn't re-sign him.
It's 2 years, isn't it? Personally, I think if he became a UFA and the Flyers offered him the same contract, then we would have a slight edge. Realistically, I think he gets locked up long-term next offseason.

KJS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS14 View Post
It's 2 years, isn't it? Personally, I think if he became a UFA and the Flyers offered him the same contract, then we would have a slight edge. Realistically, I think he gets locked up long-term next offseason.
Yeah it is 2 years. Oops.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99

vCash: 400
I still think there's a chance he comes here as a UFA in 2 years. But if he signs an extension with Ottawa, obviously Ryan is out of the picture because I don't think the Flyers will want to trade the necessary assets to acquire him.

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 07:08 AM
kicksave27

Ryan's relationship with the flyers is more than being a fan of the team. A lot has been written about Clarke watching out for him when he was a kid and having family issues.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 08:45 AM
duffy9748

If he were to hit free agency, I think the Flyers have a pretty good shot at landing him. It seems more unlikely now that he is on Ottawa though due to the assets they gave up to get him.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 09:01 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

One of the best things that happened was him getting traded to Ottawa. One of THE most overrated players on this board alltime. I get the "local boy" thing... But some people think he's the 2nd coming of something or other (JVR?).

Matt Reads name gets thrown into a lot of trade proposals. In his 2 years in the NHL Read scored SEVEN less goals than Ryan, while playing a good all around game with tremendous speed on various lines with various players, none named Getzlaf and Perry. And at about 1/6 the caphit.

Does hailing from Ilderton really matter that much?

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 09:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
One of the best things that happened was him getting traded to Ottawa. One of THE most overrated players on this board alltime. I get the "local boy" thing... But some people think he's the 2nd coming of something or other (JVR?).

Matt Reads name gets thrown into a lot of trade proposals. In his 2 years in the NHL Read scored SEVEN less goals than Ryan, while playing a good all around game with tremendous speed on various lines with various players, none named Getzlaf and Perry. And at about 1/6 the caphit.

Does hailing from Ilderton really matter that much?
Ryan is not overrated. He didn't have a great year in this shortened season, but over his first four full seasons he has scored 30+ goals in each one. Unless you think this past half season is more indicative of his talent than his career as a whole, Matt Read and Bobby Ryan are not on the same level. Matt Read is good, for sure. But he's not as good as Bobby Ryan. His seven less goals over the last two years is nice, but you don't just ignore Bobby Ryan's other three years in the league.

The local thing gets overblown alot, I agree with that. People think he's coming here because he's from here, which is silly. But I don't think his talent is overrated.

Old
08-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Is Bobby a heart and soul player who gives 100% every shift? If the answer is yes then I am all for him on this club in the future. However with all his talent, if he has holes in his game, well then I pass. Fellow SJ boy or not.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Prongo
Beer

Not saying he doesn't re-sign there, but every player that gets traded to a team that is shortly becoming a free agent always says he would welcome a return to that team. Ryan needs to play with his new team mates and see how chemistry works for them. Even though he might appreciate the trade and what the team gave up for him, that isn't all that is included on his decision to stay there. So many factors go into it, and he could just flat out not enjoy his stay there.

One thing working our way for him is Ottawa functions on a internal budget, and Ryan might want to come to a team that will always spend the necessary money to ice a team.(or maybe they lack the money to re-sign him long term. At that time they have Spezza, Zinny, Anderson, and Methot all as UFA's or RFA's who will be in need of raises)

I think the chances of him making it to UFA is probably good, he could always test the waters and see what is out there(not just the Flyers) and then re-sign in Ottawa if he doesn't like any offers. Also, who knows, maybe he struggles up there and Ottawa doesn't want to re-up him. After this year we will have a more clear picture of what he we can expect I believe.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 10:49 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Ryan is not overrated. He didn't have a great year in this shortened season, but over his first four full seasons he has scored 30+ goals in each one. Unless you think this past half season is more indicative of his talent than his career as a whole, Matt Read and Bobby Ryan are not on the same level. Matt Read is good, for sure. But he's not as good as Bobby Ryan. His seven less goals over the last two years is nice, but you don't just ignore Bobby Ryan's other three years in the league.

The local thing gets overblown alot, I agree with that. People think he's coming here because he's from here, which is silly. But I don't think his talent is overrated.
Put Matt Read on a line with Getzlaf and Perry, and move Bobby Ryan all over the bottom 3 lines on the Flyers. Who's your perennial 30 goal scorer now? Read is a better player without the puck. He earns in an entire season what Ryan makes in about a dozen games.

If Read was on another team, and from the Philly area, and Ryan was on the FLyers and from smalltown Ontario, me thinks we'd be hearing Ryan trade proposals like crazy, and that Read was "born to be a Flyer". Don't get me wrong, Ryans a good player. He just gets overvalued by a lot of Flyer fans.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 10:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Talk about beating a dead horse.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Put Matt Read on a line with Getzlaf and Perry, and move Bobby Ryan all over the bottom 3 lines on the Flyers. Who's your perennial 30 goal scorer now? Read is a better player without the puck. He earns in an entire season what Ryan makes in about a dozen games.

If Read was on another team, and from the Philly area, and Ryan was on the FLyers and from smalltown Ontario, me thinks we'd be hearing Ryan trade proposals like crazy, and that Read was "born to be a Flyer". Don't get me wrong, Ryans a good player. He just gets overvalued by a lot of Flyer fans.
Matt Reads top linemates 5 v 5 last year:

Wayne Simmonds 39.3%
Claude Giroux 37.9%
Sean Couturier 29.2%
Jake Voracek 23.7%

Let's not act like Read was playing with garbage.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 11:09 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

I'm not so sure the results would be the same. Playing with Getzlaf/Perry helped for sure, but you don't discount everything because he was on a good line. Voracek didn't really break out until he played with Giroux consistently, how would you value him? More or less valuable than Ryan? The same?

Old
08-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Kevin Danko
Cheeseburger Picnic

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post

For real. Let it go people.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Curufinwe

It depends on how much money Ottawa has to spend when it's time for a new deal.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Viller

Ryan's agent would be stupid to sign ANYTHING the Sens offer him. He will get better on the open market in 2 years.

He wants to play in Philly and Philly wants him here. He will be in orange in 2 years time. Im very confident if Ottawa wasn't giving Silfversberg (20-25 goals scorer easy), he'd be in Philly right now.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

The Ryan obsession continues.

I can't wait until he plays for the Flyers once he's well on his decline and everyone gets bitter.