HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is the Rangers #1D?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2013, 10:50 AM
  #101
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,525
vCash: 500
When everyone is healthy, McD. And that's not a knock on Staal at all, he's a heluva player. McD is just ridiculous.

I'd say the fight between MDZ and Girardi is a tighter battle then the article suggests. I love Girardi, though he has't always been the most consistent and he's been blessed with some outstanding partners in Tyutin, Staal, and McD.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:25 AM
  #102
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,794
vCash: 500
If Vigneault applies a more uptempo style then it's going to be McDonagh going away, purely because of his skating ability. I feel like McD's offensive instincts were hampered a bit under Torts, and a more attacking/transition system will encourage him to join or even start the rush more often. And what's so great about McD is that his recovery skills are maybe the best that I've ever seen out of a Rangers defenseman. We've seen him get beat or caught out of position in the neutral zone before, but his speed allows him to make up that ground more often than not.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:53 AM
  #103
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
When everyone is healthy, McD. And that's not a knock on Staal at all, he's a heluva player. McD is just ridiculous.

I'd say the fight between MDZ and Girardi is a tighter battle then the article suggests. I love Girardi, though he has't always been the most consistent and he's been blessed with some outstanding partners in Tyutin, Staal, and McD.
Staal was even more ridiculous than McDonagh when he was at his best. We'll see what happens if he's healthy.

As for Girardi, is he blessed because of those partners? Or were those partners blessed because of him? Girardi isn't a better defenseman than Staal or McDonagh, but he's definitely a more valuable one.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:59 PM
  #104
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
When everyone is healthy, McD. And that's not a knock on Staal at all, he's a heluva player. McD is just ridiculous.

I'd say the fight between MDZ and Girardi is a tighter battle then the article suggests. I love Girardi, though he has't always been the most consistent and he's been blessed with some outstanding partners in Tyutin, Staal, and McD.
IMO McDonagh and Staal are better players than Girardi but I wouldn't say the same about Tyutin. Fedor's a very good player more or less on a par with Girardi. Rangers D with all four of those guys though would be something. That Zherdev deal really bit us in the ass.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 12:35 PM
  #105
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/20...ressive-stats/

Quote:
Since joining the Rangers full time in 2007-08, Dan Girardi has played the third most games of any defenseman with 455. He is behind Jay Bouwmeester, 457, and Chris Phillips with 454. Counting all skaters, Girardi is fifth on the list with Andrew Cogliano and Henrik Sedin both played 458 games.

Since 2007-08, Girardi has the seventh most ice-time in the NHL for defensemen with 10,553 minutes.

Since 2010-11, Girardi ranks 4th in ice-time for defensemen with 5,288 minutes.
Girardi is only "adequate". LMFAO.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 12:51 PM
  #106
Aufheben
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 69
Wait, isn't he ahead of Philips with 455?

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 01:04 PM
  #107
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckrush View Post
Do you think he plays a lot because hes a legitimate top tier NHL defenseman?

Or because:

1. He plays the right side on a team bereft of RD
2. Hes been able to ride shotgun with Staal and McDonagh for years
3. Hes played for a coach that generally gives big minute to his top 4 defensemen (see #1).

Im not saying Girardi isn't valuable to this team. He is. But hes not a top pairing defenseman via NHL standards without the help of Staal and McDonagh (who are). Its been a rollercoaster ride whenever Girardi is paired with anyone else.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 02:01 PM
  #108
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,214
vCash: 500
Staal's best is slightly better than what I've seen from McDonagh and hands down better than Girardi. Which isn't a knock on either of them I just think Staal has done a better job of putting all his skills together and playing dominant hockey for longer stretches. It's been said a million times but it really, really is a shame his last two seasons have been cut short by injuries.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  #109
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Staal's best is slightly better than what I've seen from McDonagh and hands down better than Girardi. Which isn't a knock on either of them I just think Staal has done a better job of putting all his skills together and playing dominant hockey for longer stretches. It's been said a million times but it really, really is a shame his last two seasons have been cut short by injuries.
He was playing the best hockey of his career before that freak eye injury.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 04:08 PM
  #110
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Depends day to day but it's either McD or Staal. Girardi is a good tier below them.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 04:13 PM
  #111
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
That's just wrong. And the numbers don't bear it out.
He has missed less shots than more established Dman that these boards rave about. Take a look.

He has 41 missed shots, ranked #24.
Behind
Dan Boyle (57)
Pieterangelo (57)
Big Buff (56)
Doughty (55)
Yandle (55)
Chara (54)
Weber (52)
Edler (47)
Voynov (45)
Zidlicky (45)
OEL (45)
Jack Johnson (42)
PK Subban (42)
Carlsson (41)
Shultz (41)
Shattenkirk (40)

So before you recycle a meme repeatedly posted on the GDT, check the numbers.
You may be right but this alone certainly wouldn't prove it. You know what would much more? %. Can't believe you went to all this trouble and then didn't use the right metric... but HE'S the one leading a conspiracy to take down MDZ right? Tin foil hats everyone has it out for the whipping boy! Hey I only missed 5 shots. problem is I took 5 but it's ok MDZ has worse accuracy than me because he missed 41 Sorry for the grouchiness but my God just because people called you out for using a kinda spotty method to backup your argument that doesn't mean everyone is on some bandwagon to attack MDZ or something. Might there be an unfair, overwhelming number of people who are motivated to attack MDZ and "e"scapegoat him? Yea I'm sure but that's because the people here are pretty illogical and emotional. Being equally, if not more, illogical and emotional only kills your arguement


Last edited by shinchanyo: 08-07-2013 at 04:26 PM.
shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 04:18 PM
  #112
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWL View Post
Does this list include purposely missing the net to draw a nice rebound/ looking for tips from sticks? If so, that throws everything out the window.
You mean evaluate players based on more than a single stat and refrain from jumping to wild conclusions about people's motivations for criticizing one single aspect of a player? You're crazy. Logic. Puh! I don't even have that big of a problem with MDZ. I'm disappointed he hasn't brought the offense but also perfectly pleased with what he has brought which is NHL caliber defense.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 04:24 PM
  #113
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Insinuating that hes a 1st pairing D-man without Staal or McDonagh is whats ignorant -- it shows an astoundingly simplistic view of analyzing player value.
Reading some of your responses to stuff is painful sometimes dude it's like you extrapolate meaning that isn't there all the time, constantly attack, attack and attack everyone without reason and rarely provide any kind of decent explanation or discussion point

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 04:36 PM
  #114
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Reading some of your responses to stuff is painful sometimes dude it's like you extrapolate meaning that isn't there all the time, constantly attack, attack and attack everyone without reason and rarely provide any kind of decent explanation or discussion point
I dabble in reality and often do attack the fluff around here. Fluff like inflating Girardi's overall value outside of the vacuum of this team. Theres plenty of explanation in this very thread. Just gotta look, dude.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 04:38 PM
  #115
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Reading some of your responses to stuff is painful sometimes dude it's like you extrapolate meaning that isn't there all the time, constantly attack, attack and attack everyone without reason and rarely provide any kind of decent explanation or discussion point
Nice that someone else noticed.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 04:40 PM
  #116
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,776
vCash: 500
Oy vey Multi quote please

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
  #117
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Nice that someone else noticed.
Believe it or not, I take it as a badge of honor and notch to my credibility that you two feel this way.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 12:05 AM
  #118
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dabble in reality and often do attack the fluff around here. Fluff like inflating Girardi's overall value outside of the vacuum of this team. Theres plenty of explanation in this very thread. Just gotta look, dude.
I'd suggest that since you often attack people without reason that you are in fact NOT even dabbling in reality on many occasions since there is no reason in reality for you to launch volleys at many of these people. I believe one person asked for other people's opinion and you harangued him for coming to a conclusion in one thread. This was a good and recent example of your attacks seemingly not even reflecting the thing/reason you are attacking. Maybe you should talk to someone or something dude there's no rational reason to be this insulted this often by other people's opinions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Believe it or not, I take it as a badge of honor and notch to my credibility that you two feel this way.
Did you just reference HF credibility while defending your constant insults of people on HF?

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 12:52 AM
  #119
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,446
vCash: 500
Staal will be the clear #1 defenseman by the end of the season. He'll be back to form and then some.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:13 AM
  #120
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,195
vCash: 500
Either way, it's a blessing that we can have a shut down pair of Girardi and Staal or McDonagh, while the other can be on the second pair and shut down the other team's main 2nd line threat. Especially comes in handy when we play Pittsburgh and Malkin or Crosby or both are on the ice for roughly 40 of 60 minutes.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 10:49 PM
  #121
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Staal will be the clear #1 defenseman by the end of the season. He'll be back to form and then some.
He'll be in McDonagh's rearview mirror by then!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 11:03 PM
  #122
Aufheben
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Either way, it's a blessing that we can have a shut down pair of Girardi and Staal or McDonagh, while the other can be on the second pair and shut down the other team's main 2nd line threat. Especially comes in handy when we play Pittsburgh and Malkin or Crosby or both are on the ice for roughly 40 of 60 minutes.
Staal - Stralman would make a physical shutdown line with some offense. Hip checks for everyone!

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 11:18 PM
  #123
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Do you think he plays a lot because hes a legitimate top tier NHL defenseman?

Or because:

1. He plays the right side on a team bereft of RD
2. Hes been able to ride shotgun with Staal and McDonagh for years
3. Hes played for a coach that generally gives big minute to his top 4 defensemen (see #1).

Im not saying Girardi isn't valuable to this team. He is. But hes not a top pairing defenseman via NHL standards without the help of Staal and McDonagh (who are). Its been a rollercoaster ride whenever Girardi is paired with anyone else.
The problem I have with this argument is it neglects the fact that Girardi for the past several seasons has been an absolute workhorse even if mostly paired with Staal and McDonagh--and he's constantly on the ice at even strength or in shorthanded situations against the best players in the league. He doesn't get injured. He doesn't take lots of penalties. We know that Henrik is a great goalie but he wouldn't be quite the same without the d corps in front of him. Girardi as the best right D is a major component of that d corps. He is not without flaws and even occasionally has a bad game. I would rank him after both McDonagh and Staal but IMO after Girardi is where the drop off is not before and I like Stralman as well but he's not near the level of the other three.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 08:34 PM
  #124
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,840
vCash: 500
My immediate reaction- who are these guys and where in the bloody hell are they when the Swedish kid is either stealing hearts and/or fed to the dogs...

We need a change there..GOOD! Other teams should be interested in giving some of their more expensive pieces of reliability in exchange for ours.

I don't care what anyone says, I can't help but remember what I typically have complained about for the last 20 years(save a VERY select few of course), and that's the absence and/or *************(refCarlin) in front of the net.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 07:41 PM
  #125
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
My immediate reaction- who are these guys and where in the bloody hell are they when the Swedish kid is either stealing hearts and/or fed to the dogs...

We need a change there..GOOD! Other teams should be interested in giving some of their more expensive pieces of reliability in exchange for ours.

I don't care what anyone says, I can't help but remember what I typically have complained about for the last 20 years(save a VERY select few of course), and that's the absence and/or *************(refCarlin) in front of the net.
Amen!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.