HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov's contract (updates in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2013, 08:06 AM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I'm not a fan of Reese ...nor McCrossin whose half-baked idea to add mass backfired in Bryz's first season. However, Bryz needs to take more responsibility. All he has done is point fingers at the press and coaching staff and at times the defense. Maybe some of it was warranted in each case but let's see if he can land a job back in the NHL and back up his squawking....

..and if he does back it up..then the Flyers better start looking in the mirror with this goalie BS..especially if Emery and Mason both don't pan out as well....
It does need pointing out that Bryzgalov, on several occasions, singled himself out for poor play, at times going overboard (the whole "lost in the woods" thing after the loss to Winnipeg, if I recall correctly).

Old
08-07-2013, 08:53 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It does need pointing out that Bryzgalov, on several occasions, singled himself out for poor play, at times going overboard (the whole "lost in the woods" thing after the loss to Winnipeg, if I recall correctly).
Looking back in this and reading current information, I think Bryz might have been "lost in the woods" both because of him and because of the changes to his game that had been demanded by coaching staff.

Old
08-07-2013, 09:16 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Maybe it is time to look for a new coach?
I've been beating this drum for awhile.

Old
08-07-2013, 09:24 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Well, I do not think this discussion is about him anymore. It looks like we are using him and Bob to discuss ineptitude of the Flyers goalie coaching.

I hope, that financial impact will not be the only lesson learned from this saga.
Thank you for getting "it"

Old
08-07-2013, 09:25 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Looking back in this and reading current information, I think Bryz might have been "lost in the woods" both because of him and because of the changes to his game that had been demanded by coaching staff.
i think its funny that the "lost in the woods" quote came after a game, which he took total blame for btw, that bob let in 5 goals. I think it was that jets game. I didn't think the goalies played as bad as they were being blamed for considering how much the jets dictated the pace of that game. we did come back and it became a free for all but pavelic let in all 8 that game. we'll see soon enough. i don't hate jeff reese but the one big thing he gets credit for, leighton, i think was more because of pronger's monster play (and the team as a whole) not reese. too bad we couldn't keep it up after that run.

Old
08-07-2013, 09:32 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i think its funny that the "lost in the woods" quote came after a game, which he took total blame for btw, that bob let in 5 goals. I think it was that jets game. I didn't think the goalies played as bad as they were being blamed for considering how much the jets dictated the pace of that game. we did come back and it became a free for all but pavelic let in all 8 that game. we'll see soon enough. i don't hate jeff reese but the one big thing he gets credit for, leighton, i think was more because of pronger's monster play (and the team as a whole) not reese. too bad we couldn't keep it up after that run.
Reese gets his street cred mainly b/c of Khabibulin....Leighton was an anomaly.

I will say that if Bryz's lamentations turn out to be correct and he lands an NHL job and returns to form...it is going to make the Flyers look really really bad just like with the success that Bob, Carter and Richards had elsewhere 1 season removed. They seriously better hope either Mason or Emery can grab the reins and not let go...

Old
08-07-2013, 10:09 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wasn't that the game where Pavelec let in 6 goals but still made a ridiculous 56 saves or something like that?

08-07-2013, 10:26 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Wasn't that the game where Pavelec let in 6 goals but still made a ridiculous 56 saves or something like that?
he had 36 saves. i forgot chris mason went and let one in after. i didn't remember pavelic getting pulled but it was a crazy game. I just remember a lot of the goals being legit. both teams had an onslaught happening that night.

Old
08-07-2013, 10:32 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:

I will say that if Bryz's lamentations turn out to be correct and he lands an NHL job and returns to form...it is going to make the Flyers look really really bad just like with the success that Bob, Carter and Richards had elsewhere 1 season removed. They seriously better hope either Mason or Emery can grab the reins and not let go...
i agree. and how much credit can he take for khabibulen. He was awesome in phoenix before he got there. I've seen enough evidence in terms of a lack of adjustments with our goalies to at least partially blame him for some of these disasters and in the case of bryzgalov, its amplified for me because of the crazy investment they made. you don't take a lamborghini to pep boys for a tune up. not that bryz was a lamborghini. well maybe he came in one but left a gremlin.

Old
08-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Let's wait and see how Bryz performs in his next job before completely blasting Reese...of course Bryz is going to blame someone other than himself, he's trying to bail out his career.

The pile of evidence mounting against Reese is getting pretty disquieting, though. I'm definitely not opposed to a change.

08-07-2013, 11:02 AM
flyersguy33*

glad this buffoon is gone. guy was an underperforming clown

Old
08-07-2013, 11:26 AM
SwedeInOrange

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQskrlYJSpY he speaks about his future, practise and there are some glimpse of him in training

Old
08-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

I really have never seen one player who was so horrible with our organization get such a pass from some fans. This is quite simple, let's stop blaming everyone else, instead blame the guy who was paid to stop the puck and failed to. Not Reese, not Lavy, not my god damn mother, Bryz is to blame for his departure and piss poor play. He was dreadful, and anyone trying to put some/all blame on anyone but Bryz is out in left field. He was the reason he struggled.

Mostly, I also have a problem with him throwing his teammates under the bus at the time. If any of you have played organized sports, this is a huge mistake. You take your problems out with the players in the locker room, you don't cry to the media(albeit we don't have media access haha.) Still you know that isn't the way you handle these situations, especially when he was not a leader of the room.

He needed to go, it's not my money and the Bob debate has been beaten too much over the last year, but BRYZ and BRYZ alone is the reason he struggled. Stop trying to create excuses for the player. When Giroux plays poorly, we call him out. We don't blame Lavy or anyone else for it. Keep the standards for all the players.

Turn the page, he is gone, and now let's torture the next goalie who comes in here(Mason and Emery)

Old
08-07-2013, 12:18 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I really have never seen one player who was so horrible with our organization get such a pass from some fans. This is quite simple, let's stop blaming everyone else, instead blame the guy who was paid to stop the puck and failed to. Not Reese, not Lavy, not my god damn mother, Bryz is to blame for his departure and piss poor play. He was dreadful, and anyone trying to put some/all blame on anyone but Bryz is out in left field. He was the reason he struggled.

Mostly, I also have a problem with him throwing his teammates under the bus at the time. If any of you have played organized sports, this is a huge mistake. You take your problems out with the players in the locker room, you don't cry to the media(albeit we don't have media access haha.) Still you know that isn't the way you handle these situations, especially when he was not a leader of the room.

He needed to go, it's not my money and the Bob debate has been beaten too much over the last year, but BRYZ and BRYZ alone is the reason he struggled. Stop trying to create excuses for the player. When Giroux plays poorly, we call him out. We don't blame Lavy or anyone else for it. Keep the standards for all the players.

Turn the page, he is gone, and now let's torture the next goalie who comes in here(Mason and Emery)
I don't want to torture any of our goalies, thats the point. I think some of us are looking at reasons why not only bryzgalov but bobrovsky failed to play up to their obvious potential while here. And I'm sorry that you can't get everybody to agree with you 100% but not everything is as simple as you need it to be. This is a team sport.

Old
08-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
It's easy to blame Bryzgalov and he didn't play great, but it was a combination of factors, not one individually to blame but the sum of the parts.

Old
08-07-2013, 12:40 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:

If you read attentively, the discussion is not about Bryz anymore.

Old
08-07-2013, 01:32 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Anyone know the name of a low level equipment manager? I need a new scapegoat that we haven't discussed for next season.

Old
08-07-2013, 01:59 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
I don't want to torture any of our goalies, thats the point. I think some of us are looking at reasons why not only bryzgalov but bobrovsky failed to play up to their obvious potential while here. And I'm sorry that you can't get everybody to agree with you 100% but not everything is as simple as you need it to be. This is a team sport.
Bobrovsky only played one season as a starter in Philly before being relegated to being the backup to Bryz.

If anything stunted Bobrovsky's development in Philly, it was impatience.

08-07-2013, 02:04 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Bobrovsky only played one season as a starter in Philly before being relegated to being the backup to Bryz.

Bob, who was actually in the situation, seems to disagree, and places at least part of the change on his new trainer fixing his positioning.

Old
08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Bob, who was actually in the situation, seems to disagree, and places at least part of the change on his new trainer fixing his positioning.
I have not seen/read the comments you are referring to, but he definitely played "small" during his time in Philly.

Old
08-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Phillyfan28

Quote:

I redo the carter and richards trades 10/10 times.

Old
08-07-2013, 03:18 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

I think you can apply that to more than just bob. That's the center of all our problems. Idk, i think I'm just done believing that laviolette is a good coach. jeff reese, lavi, they can all use an upgrade. We'll find out this year tho because were through the sophomore seasons and they have their ups and downs to draw from. We need to see significant consistency or its time to move on cause these ARE good players we have.

Old
08-07-2013, 03:29 PM
lancer247

Quote:
I never see people saying Bob failed or blame Reese for his play. Bob was fine but fell victim to the Flyers tying themselves to Bryz financially.

How can you blame Reese for Bryz ducking from pucks or just not making any momentum changing saves? I think Bryz lost his fire with the big pay day and may have incentive to play again. I would like to see how Reese does with Mason before passing judgement on his status as the coach.

Old
08-07-2013, 03:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfan28 View Post
I redo the carter and richards trades 10/10 times.
I don't, I don't care that they won a cup neither. I would still do those trades now.

Old
08-07-2013, 03:35 PM
lancer247

Quote:

Carter and Richards were successful with the Flyers. It's not like their play elevated whent they went to LA. They won a cup because they played on a more complete team (Quick didn't need a hip replacement). If anything Richards play has leveled off at best production-wise. Carter still had his personal best season with the Flyers, as well.

Closed Thread