HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Large sinkhole on St-Catherine and Guy

Old
08-07-2013, 03:09 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Not that long ago. Not long enough to expect any significant change.

I believe you are suffering from the 'grass is greener' syndrome. I can assure you, the roads in Havana are not better than Montreal, nor is any of the infrastructure. A rather significant percentage of the roads are not even paved in Havana. And the majority that are, have numerous potholes, are uneven, and are worn out.

I have not encountered a single city in Latin America that has better roads than any North American city.
I've only been to Havana a few times and then mainly in tourist areas, but as I said, "side streets not so much", those are rough and are closer to Old Montreal but google something like "Havana tour busses" or "Havana main roads" to get some pictures of larger thorough fares and look at the images. Some roads are rough but you'll also notice that a lot of the roads are better than you say. Then do the google search for "Montreal roads" or drive down Sherbrooke, or St. Johns going south when north of Fairview then compare.

Further south, the road between Guardalavaca and the airport was not as wide as Quebec highways but was virtually pothole and cracked road free, that was two weeks ago. Next week I'll take a double check on the roads between the airport and Cayo Coco and count every pothole if I see any. Still, those are highways and not cities.

A lot of Montreal streets including main streets are a disgrace of potholes and more potholes and cracked roads. I made the comparison to Cuba here on the board, but I wasn't the only Montreal person to do so when we were on the buses in Cuba.

Gotta love you guys who have to defend Montreal at all costs, it's like the honour of your family is questioned. Accept it, it's a mess here, laced with corruption and roads falling apart. Of course its a harsher climate here which certainly adds to the issues, but one would think (hope) our roads would still be far better than a poor third world country rather than closer to them.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 03:16 PM
lostriver

Wowzers. We are comparing Montreal with Havana already. How much worse caan it get?

lostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 03:22 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchweed View Post
I've only been to Havana a few times and then mainly in tourist areas, but as I said, "side streets not so much", those are rough and are closer to Old Montreal but google something like "Havana tour busses" or "Havana main roads" to get some pictures of larger thorough fares and look at the images. Some roads are rough but you'll also notice that a lot of the roads are better than you say. Then do the google search for "Montreal roads" or drive down Sherbrooke, or St. Johns going south when north of Fairview then compare.

Further south, the road between Guardalavaca and the airport was not as wide as Quebec highways but was virtually pothole and cracked road free, that was two weeks ago. Next week I'll take a double check on the roads between the airport and Cayo Coco and count every pothole if I see any. Still, those are highways and not cities.

A lot of Montreal streets including main streets are a disgrace of potholes and more potholes and cracked roads. I made the comparison to Cuba here on the board, but I wasn't the only Montreal person to do so when we were on the buses in Cuba.

Gotta love you guys who have to defend Montreal at all costs, it's like the honour of your family is questioned. Accept it, it's a mess here, laced with corruption and roads falling apart. Of course its a harsher climate here which certainly adds to the issues, but one would think (hope) our roads would still be far better than a poor third world country rather than closer to them.
I don't 'defend Montreal at all costs.' I didn't even grow up here, nor do I even plan on staying longer than the conclusion of my degree. I have lived here for two years and have virtually no ties to the city. I don't even speak French for christ sakes.

I just get a kick out of people from Montreal thinking that they have it so bad when from what I have seen, it's a great city with pretty good infrastructure.

I mean comparing Cuba's roads to Montreal's is a farce. Riding around on a tour bus doesn't capture an ounce of what the roads in Cuba are like. We are talking about a country that has some of the oldest and most poorly maintained infrastructure in the Americas here.

I can't believe this is even up for argument.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 03:46 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Montreal really need an intervention at this point. Go in there Labeaume, save these poor people.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 05:10 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Don't sink holes have more to do with the general instability on which the land is built rather than the way the roads and infrastructure are constructed? Any civil engineers here?
Not an engineer, but had the same thought as you. Appears to be confirmed by this wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkhole

Quote:
A sinkhole, also known as a sink-hole,[1] sink, swallow hole, shakehole,[2] swallet or doline, is a natural depression or hole in the Earth's surface which may have various causes. Some are caused by karst processes—for example, the chemical dissolution of carbonate rocks[3] or suffosion processes[4] in sandstone. Others are formed as a result of the collapse of old mine workings close to the surface.
Nonetheless, there may be some flaws/deterioration in the infrastructure which may be responsible for them as well.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 11:17 AM
GinoCyber*

I still don't understand where all the gravel went.

GinoCyber* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 06:35 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't 'defend Montreal at all costs.' I didn't even grow up here, nor do I even plan on staying longer than the conclusion of my degree. I have lived here for two years and have virtually no ties to the city. I don't even speak French for christ sakes.

I just get a kick out of people from Montreal thinking that they have it so bad when from what I have seen, it's a great city with pretty good infrastructure.

I mean comparing Cuba's roads to Montreal's is a farce. Riding around on a tour bus doesn't capture an ounce of what the roads in Cuba are like. We are talking about a country that has some of the oldest and most poorly maintained infrastructure in the Americas here.

I can't believe this is even up for argument.
Just out of curiosity, what are you driving here that the roads don't seem bad to you ... a Land Rover, a Hummer?

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchweed View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you driving here that the roads don't seem bad to you ... a Land Rover, a Hummer?
My job is to drive around town, and yeah sure there are some potholes and some roads are more bad than others especially in Montreal-Nord and Hochelaga. But in no way is it as bad as people set it out to be. It was bad 10 years ago but today it's fine.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoCyber View Post
I still don't understand where all the gravel went.
It gets washed away under the street when a main bursts. Like an underground river.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
My job is to drive around town, and yeah sure there are some potholes and some roads are more bad than others especially in Montreal-Nord and Hochelaga. But in no way is it as bad as people set it out to be. It was bad 10 years ago but today it's fine.
Cross over into Ontario, New Brunswick, New York, Vermont, anywhere... and tell me our roads aren't a disaster.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 08:58 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Cross over into Ontario, New Brunswick, New York, Vermont, anywhere... and tell me our roads aren't a disaster.
The roads aren't too bad here in NB (Fredericton) but many streets or roads have ruts, which is awful when it rains. there are some potholes too, but not as many as in Montreal. However the difference in traffic is huge.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Well this may sound controversial but here's why roads are worst in mtl than elsewhere.

Toronto doesn't have much of a winter ( maybe one storm of 10cm max per year ) and it's much milder than in Quebec. Ottawa benefits from having a much smaller population than montreal 900 000 inhabitants vs 3.8M ( less stress on the roads and less roads to maintain ) and the city is full of government employees who pay their taxes.

All the New England states that have strong winters have small and spread out populations compared to the city of Montreal, 600K in Vermont, 1.3M New Hampshire, 1.3M Maine, 750K New Bruinswick, ( Northern NY isn't much also.)

So again with smaller populations, less roads and for most much less harsher winters, it's understandable that our roads may be in greater disrepair. But it is still my opinion that our roads are not as bad as people set it out to be, after a visit to brooklyn or god forbid Detroit anyone can then judge Quebec roads are not that bad. Even though they aren't the best the government as been for 7-10 years now renovating highways roads and overpasses at much higher rate than before, probably due to public opinion and past tragedies.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:49 AM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
........So again with smaller populations, less roads and for most much less harsher winters, it's understandable that our roads may be in greater disrepair......
Even if this is true, no one can deny the fact that in some boroughs, the same street needs to be repaired every 5 years. Living in the West Island, I see this every 5 years or so.

GinoCyber* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Ive always tought sinkholes was a portal to another dimension misplaced by aliens... wait soon the tunders will start... oh no!!!!

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote