HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs RFA defensemen to file for arbitration

Old
07-13-2013, 02:16 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetylene View Post
Bah, since the Krüger signing, the Blackhawks offseason is pretty much done. Seems some other teams are pretty much done as well, and we have Kadri, Franson and Gunnarsson left, and Liles still on the roster... Get someone signed, Nonis!
what does CHI signing kruger have to do with us again?

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Injuries can be a blessing.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson

Top 4 during the playoff after Kostka went down.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson on the PK
Phaneuf-Franson on the PP

Need someone to take Phaneuf's PK time and that should decrease his minutes and improve his full game play.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Acetylene
Marner & Nylander

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
what does CHI signing kruger have to do with us again?
Well, they can obviously sign their scrubs before we can sign pieces of our core. Hence why I didn't mention Fraser in my previous post.

Acetylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetylene View Post
Well, they can obviously sign their scrubs before we can sign pieces of our core. Hence why I didn't mention Fraser in my previous post.
As long as everyone is signed by training camp, it's fine.

There's plenty of time.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Thanks for the replies on the subject of Fraser's injury. I know it's late, but I forgot which thread I posted in about it. Mover on the habs board found it.

If the Leafs do keep Fraser, then he could still be as effective. Alexei Emelin has mental plates in his face. (He got beat by Svitov) and it doesn't seem to hold him back now. Granted, he could never fight and that was how he got the plates in the first place, but he still went with Evander Kane, Marcus Foligno and Zdeno Chara.

Then again, Emelin just put his face down and started throwing. There's still that slight chance Fraser could be the same, but I would imagine psychologically he'll be hesitant to. I don't blame him.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 07:14 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Arbitration hearings go from July 22nd to August 6th.
So, when is Franson's arbitration hearing again?

bansheebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheebeat View Post
So, when is Franson's arbitration hearing again?
I don't think Franson filed for arbitration

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 08:00 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Nope, Franson is sitting until signed. He has a pretty good sense of self worth to think the Leafs will sign him and not let him sit for any extended period of time. I also have a healthy self worth but even I know my limits. I would have taken arbitration knowing that NHL executives love working on a deadline with contracts and their hatred of the unknown with regards to arbitrators. Of course, you go to arbitration and get over 3.5 million and their is a chance you are unemployed halfway through the summer.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
likeabosski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Injuries can be a blessing.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson

Top 4 during the playoff after Kostka went down.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson on the PK
Phaneuf-Franson on the PP

Need someone to take Phaneuf's PK time and that should decrease his minutes and improve his full game play.
Costco is a good stay-at-home defenseman but a liability offensively. He'd be a solid #2 D-Man when protecting a lead. Wouldn't be out of place doing PK-1 duty with Gunnarsson. He is a huge liability offensively though. He should be on the 3rd pairing whenever the Leafs are not protecting a lead. And he should not be on the PP unit at all.

Being well-rounded is more important for a defenseman than a forward though. A #6 has to be able to play at least 11-15 even-strength mins/g without being a liability. Kostka was utilized in a Top 2 role mainly. If he played more protected minutes, maybe he would have been fine in the NHL. Now that he's with the Blackhawks, Kostka will probably be sent down to the Minors (they're not gonna change up their Top 6) and then called up when their Top 6 gets injured. And then he'll get sent down to waivers and get claimed by an NHL team that could use him in a regular Top 6 + PK role. Because of his poor campaign as a Top 2 + PP, he's probably seen as damaged goods and may never get into the big leagues full-time ever again though. That's what happens when you throw rookies to the sharks.

Last edited by likeabosski: 08-07-2013 at 02:18 PM.
likeabosski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeabosski View Post
Costco is a good stay-at-home defenseman but a liability offensively. He'd be a solid #2 D-Man when protecting a lead. Wouldn't be out of place doing PK-1 duty with Gunnarsson. He is a huge liability offensively though. He should be on the 3rd pairing whenever the Leafs are not protecting a lead. And he should not be on the PP unit at all.
LOL

And here's me thinking good stay-at-home Dmen were NOT defensive liabilities. Silly me

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 02:56 PM
HarrisonFord
The Pain Is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeabosski View Post

Being well-rounded is more important for a defenseman than a forward though. A #6 has to be able to play at least 11-15 even-strength mins/g without being a liability. Kostka was utilized in a Top 2 role mainly. If he played more protected minutes, maybe he would have been fine in the NHL. Now that he's with the Blackhawks, Kostka will probably be sent down to the Minors (they're not gonna change up their Top 6) and then called up when their Top 6 gets injured. And then he'll get sent down to waivers and get claimed by an NHL team that could use him in a regular Top 6 + PK role. Because of his poor campaign as a Top 2 + PP, he's probably seen as damaged goods and may never get into the big leagues full-time ever again though. That's what happens when you throw rookies to the sharks.
The only time that Kostka is a "good stay-at-home defenseman" is when he stays at home, and doesn't come to the rink.

HarrisonFord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
The Missing Piece
What's Left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
The only time that Kostka is a "good stay-at-home defenseman" is when he stays at home, and doesn't come to the rink.

The Missing Piece is offline   Reply With Quote