HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergey Tolchinsky NYR Bound? [Nope! Signs with Canes 8/22]

Old
08-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Jacques Strap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jim Cerny had another chat today. This player is not getting a contract from the Rangers.
He wasn't as definite as you. That is Jim Cerny, right? Not Glen Sather. Who knows maybe he's right. Then everybody will have to be negative about the next undrafted player.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

There was no chance he was going to get a deal prior to Traverse City, so nothing really groundbreaking from Cerny.

If he proves something there, he'll get a deal, if not, see ya.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 03:16 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Hopefully they put Traverse City on t.v. so we can watch him. That would be cool.

By the way, Jacko, chive on!

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 03:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
He wasn't as definite as you. That is Jim Cerny, right? Not Glen Sather. Who knows maybe he's right. Then everybody will have to be negative about the next undrafted player.
People are being realistic. Did you get excited about Tommy Pock and Chris Chappell?

I'm all for giving the guy a shot, there's little risk. Let's be honest, though--there's about a one percent chance he makes it. People were all bent out of shape when we missed out on Audy-Marchessault, and he couldn't crack a Columbus team that was somehow even more inept offensively than the Rangers.

Undrafted guys rarely make it. Tiny guys rarely make it. Undrafted tiny guys? They exist in bountiful amounts and make it once in a blue moon.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 03:45 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
People are being realistic. Did you get excited about Tommy Pock and Chris Chappell?

I'm all for giving the guy a shot, there's little risk. Let's be honest, though--there's about a one percent chance he makes it. People were all bent out of shape when we missed out on Audy-Marchessault, and he couldn't crack a Columbus team that was somehow even more inept offensively than the Rangers.

Undrafted guys rarely make it. Tiny guys rarely make it. Undrafted tiny guys? They exist in bountiful amounts and make it once in a blue moon.
While this is true, there is no reason not to take a shot. His contract slides and the Rangers have a ton of UFA's next season to open up contract spots.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 03:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
While this is true, there is no reason not to take a shot. His contract slides and the Rangers have a ton of UFA's next season to open up contract spots.
I absolutely agree that he's worth a shot, which I've said a few times. I'm just realistic about the odds of his panning out.

Old
08-07-2013, 03:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I absolutely agree that he's worth a shot, which I've said a few times. I'm just realistic about the odds of his panning out.
Very fair. I guess I just don't see why the team would sign Donnay, and not Tolchinsky. Puzzling. Although I like Dodero, Hughes and Allen.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 03:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Very fair. I guess I just don't see why the team would sign Donnay, and not Tolchinsky. Puzzling. Although I like Dodero, Hughes and Allen.
Signing Donnay rather than Tolchinsky seems strange. Particularly given the signings of Allen, Dodero and Hughes, as well as acquiring Syvret. I'd rather take a gamble on a skilled forward rather than adding even more organizational depth on the blue line. Who knows though. I'm always sort of perplexed by the moves we make.

Old
08-07-2013, 04:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Jim Cerny: Matt and Guest: Most of these signed free agents are depth players in the organization, especially on defense where the brass was not happy with what they had in Hartford a year ago...they decided to go with a young group of signings with Conor Allen being the one that draws the most intrigue on the back end...Nicholls is an offensive player...giving him a chance like Kyle Jean got last year...and they love Kantor's make up and physical play...they hope he can grind his way into the NHL one day as a 3rd/4th liner...as for Tolchinsky, I do not believe he is receiving a contract
http://blueshirtsunited.com/event/313

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 04:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Signing Donnay rather than Tolchinsky seems strange. Particularly given the signings of Allen, Dodero and Hughes, as well as acquiring Syvret. I'd rather take a gamble on a skilled forward rather than adding even more organizational depth on the blue line. Who knows though. I'm always sort of perplexed by the moves we make.
Tolchinsky is Russian and 5'7.

Old
08-07-2013, 04:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
That can be interpreted two ways: he won't be receiving a contract from the team now, or that he won't be receiving a contract from the team ever. I don't think it's clear either way. Even if it were the latter--what if the kid dominated TC and was the best player on the ice each game? That might change things, right?

Old
08-07-2013, 04:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Tolchinsky is Russian and 5'7.
When you lay it out like that, yeah, tough combination in the modern NHL.

Old
08-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
That can be interpreted two ways: he won't be receiving a contract from the team now, or that he won't be receiving a contract from the team ever. I don't think it's clear either way. Even if it were the latter--what if the kid dominated TC and was the best player on the ice each game? That might change things, right?
I have to think it's a wait-and-see thing, too.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:

Where do you see excited about Pock or Chappell. I just think with his skill and skating it might make up for lack of size. Seems like some you guys have a hard on for anything I say. Especially about his size. All I'm saying is give the kid a shot. He might be worth a try. If not, so be it.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 07:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
Where do you see excited about Pock or Chappell. I just think with his skill and skating it might make up for lack of size. Seems like some you guys have a hard on for anything I say. Especially about his size. All I'm saying is give the kid a shot. He might be worth a try. If not, so be it.
I'm also in favor of giving the kid a shot. There's minimal risk in doing so.

What I'm doing is preaching reasonable expectations and tempered enthusiasm. We've signed dozens of UFDA's in the past decade, and very few have ever panned out. It's just a real rarity. I see people here (not necessarily you) getting so excited by random guys that they hadn't even heard of two weeks earlier, and I just shake my head.

Sorry if I'm taking my frustrations out on you; it's not personal.

Old
08-08-2013, 01:15 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
Hopefully they put Traverse City on t.v. so we can watch him. That would be cool.

By the way, Jacko, chive on!
Chive on, bud!

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 04:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
When you lay it out like that, yeah, tough combination in the modern NHL.
The Rangers have their Russian project in Pavel Buchnevich.

Old
08-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Cerney also said Tortorella wasn't going to be fired. Obviously not the same situation, but certainly demonstrates that things can change in an instant.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Cerney also said Tortorella wasn't going to be fired. Obviously not the same situation, but certainly demonstrates that things can change in an instant.
So unlike the deliberate and pragmatic franchise I know and love.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 12:25 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

he wasnt drafted. in any round. theres a legit reason. his chances of playing in the nhl are very slim.

theres room for more than one russian in the organization.

skill will never go out of style. neither will size....

lots of milkshakes and peanut butter jelly sandwiches before bed comrade.

the kid has options though, lets not forget that.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Joey Bones

To be honest, Cerny is just voicing his opinion like Trxjw said above about Torts. Traverse City will be the time where we all can judge his contract chances (although it would be smart to sign him). Hope he does well. Hope he gets the shot. But he is very unlikely to have an NHL future with that height and weight (and again he still can grow in juniors).

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 11:54 AM
GAGLine

per Chip Alexander

Quote:
Rutherford said Canes are trying to sign Sergei Tolchinsky, an invitee to prospects camp. Also should have decision soon.
https://twitter.com/ice_chip/status/369474508383469568

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
he wasnt drafted. in any round. theres a legit reason. his chances of playing in the nhl are very slim.

theres room for more than one russian in the organization.

skill will never go out of style. neither will size....

lots of milkshakes and peanut butter jelly sandwiches before bed comrade.

the kid has options though, lets not forget that.
Dan Girardi, David Clarkson, Martin St.Louis, Andy McDonald, Rene Bourque, Dan Boyle, Alex Burrows, Pascal Dupuis, Curtis Glencross, Andy Greene just named 10 legit NHL players never drafted..

their is more in the NHL than people think..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...re_not_drafted

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 12:40 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Dan Girardi, David Clarkson, Martin St.Louis, Andy McDonald, Rene Bourque, Dan Boyle, Alex Burrows, Pascal Dupuis, Curtis Glencross, Andy Greene just named 10 legit NHL players never drafted..

How many of those players are 5'7"?

(Jacques Strap arguing that he's taller in 3, 2, 1...)

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 12:58 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post

none of them are 5'6 150 lbs. are they ?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote