*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Harky121

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVSTER View Post
All this talk about Barrie dropping further down in the standings for the 2013/14 season is really starting to make me wonder, is that relatively true? If we look at it on paper, things aren't looking too shabby. Better than I thought actually. Here is a rather nerdy explanation on what goes through my mind looking into the upcoming season.

Last season the Barrie Colts had an excellent run during the playoffs making it all the way to Game 7 of the OHL final. During the 2012 off season, I was a little bit suspect of how the colts would cope with losing their top 3 point leaders; Tanner Pearson, Colin Behenna and Ivan Telegin. Instead of falling in the standings, the Colts found a way to improve with the help of some acquisitions and key guys stepping up. The same goes with the 2013/14 season. I think that it has already been clarified that the colts will most likely trade for an offensive overage forward. I also expect players to double their point totals from the previous year. Josh Macdonald received 3rd/4th line ice time for the majority of the 2012 13 season and recorded 30 points in that time frame. I also have a feeling that Bradford will be much better this season too. Not to mention the signing of Kevin Labanc, which is an added bonus.

Here is a comparison of the top 10 point scorers for the colts during the 2011 12 season, and the 2012 13 season.

2011-12 season (Top 10 point scorers)

Player --- Points
T. Pearson - 91
C. Behenna - 74
I. Telegin - 64
M. Scheifele - 63
Z. Hall - 59.
S. Beyers - 51
R. O'Connor - 36
A. Camara - 33
D. Erlich - 31
A. Ekblad - 29

2012 13 season (Top 10 point scorers)

player --- points
Z. Hall -81
M. Scheifele -79
S. Beyers - 69
A. Athanasiou -67
A. Camara -60
M. Theoret -60
R. O'Connor -53A. Ekblad -34
E. Bradford -33
J. Macdonald -30

Looking from the outside in, a total of four top 10 players from the 2011 12 season did not return with the Colts for the 2012 13 season. The same case goes with the upcoming season for Barrie. Most likely, four players from the top 10 scoring race will not make an appearance with the colts for 2013 14. (M. Scheifele, S. Beyers, A. Camara and R. O'Connor) I understand that points don't mean everything, but they must mean at least something if they are the key to winning games.

Now to look at what we have here in the present time. Zach Hall, Mitchell Theoret, Andreas Athanasiou, Aaron Ekblad, and a few other good players isn't bad. But I have a feeling the colts will gain another
scorer, as does many other colts fans. How about Andrew Fritsch out of Ste. Marie? Or maybe Cameron Brace out of Owen Sound? That would for sure boost Barrie's offensive compete level.

This is just speculation, so please no haters on my prediction for the top 10 point scorers for the colts this upcoming year. Here is what I think:

2013 14 season (Top 10 point scorers)

Player --- Points

Z. Hall- (85-95
A. Athanasiou- (80-90
M. Theoret- (70-80
Acquisition- (60-75
J. Macdonald- (50-60
A. Ekblad- (45-60
E. Bradford- (45-60
K. Labanc- (35-45
B. Lemieux- (30-35
J. Dotchin- (25-30

When you look at it all from an offensive perspective, this year could be pretty similar to the past few. However, goaltending is an issue that I will not touch on. That will most likely be the difference maker in how the colts will respond. So yes, I expect a standings drop, but not a drastic one. Again, it's all speculation, there is nothing better to do at 3:00 in the morning than to write an essay on this.
Ok I agree with this 100%. I don't know why people are thinking the colts are going to be worse as well, if anything they might be better. In my opinion the colts with be at the top or near the top of the eastern conference next year for sure. I think they might even make the memorial and get some revenge on the stupid ass knights if we get lucky from some extra players like shore, kempe or even a top veteran with some ohl expieriemce fom the trade deadline. Just asking why are their knights fans on here do they realize basically the whole ohl is against them like screw off.

Old
07-27-2013, 07:45 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harky121 View Post
Ok I agree with this 100%. I don't know why people are thinking the colts are going to be worse as well, if anything they might be better. In my opinion the colts with be at the top or near the top of the eastern conference next year for sure. I think they might even make the memorial and get some revenge on the stupid ass knights if we get lucky from some extra players like shore, kempe or even a top veteran with some ohl expieriemce fom the trade deadline. Just asking why are their knights fans on here do they realize basically the whole ohl is against them like screw off.
I dont think Eckblad will be going anywhere especially London despite some dreamy thoughts
The Colts return 145 goals from last yr,assuming Hall,Theoret and I have included Fawcett as the 3rd O/A for no are in the lineup
The D led by Eckblad,along with Kingston and NBay are amongst the conf and Leagues
best
The returning goals place them 4th projection wise behind Kingston,Nbay and Sudbury only ahead of them
The only question mark is goaltending that I see, whether Fontinos at 18 is ready to lead this team and with no identifiable backup,this may be a problem area to be addressed
As well there is a need for a couple more forwards,perhaps Lebanc and Kriess can make immediate impacts,which would really help
Sudbury has needs on the back end offensively,Kingston lines up everywhere though I am not in love with Mahalak as their tender,Nbay is pretty good upfront especially if Goodrow returns,but goaltending maybe a question as 18 year old Jake Smith gets the nod,with their stifling system he might be alright
Barrie in my view lines up as 4th best right now,chance to move up
I think they had a less then stellar draft, and are a couple a little thin for the next 2
drafts picks wise to deal for assets now
Foe example in 2014 they did not have picks in the 2nd,4th,5th and 7th,though they have 2-6trh and 2 8ths
For 2015 draft they dont have picks in the 2nd 4th,6th and 9th,but have 2 in the 3rd and 5th
I dont this team is as good as last yrs,but this might be the year to take a run again
though I do have concerns as to whether they have the assets to do it
Never the less should be an interesting yr with some promise for the Colts

Old
07-27-2013, 07:58 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Just asking why are their knights fans on here do they realize basically the whole ohl is against them like screw off.
Here's a tip...if they know they've got under your skin by a simple post on an OPEN FORUM...they'll keep coming back.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:34 AM
aresknights

Hey, what's that Spits can chimin in for?

And a tip from a Knights fan?

Nobody's been hard on the team, not sure why the offense has been takin......

Barrie should just fine next year.
Ekblad stays put.

And I really like their coaching, something I've not heard much about on here. Solid job last year for sure and I'd expect it again from that group. Solid.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:42 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post

Only because he's new...everybody gets one....Tell him Peter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr6SG_t1TU

Old
07-27-2013, 08:48 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Only because he's new...everybody gets one....Tell him Peter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr6SG_t1TU
Lol,very funny

Old
07-27-2013, 08:49 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Hey, what's that Spits can chimin in for?

Nobody's been hard on the team, not sure why the offense has been takin......

Barrie should just fine next year.
Ekblad stays put.

And I really like their coaching, something I've not heard much about on here. Solid job last year for sure and I'd expect it again from that group. Solid.
Dog days of summer

Besides I could not get any Knight fans to come out and play

Old
07-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Trading EA5? Say it ain't so my friend. Say it ain't so. Might be back in town for camp...50/50 at this point...will you be there?
They arent trading Ek, and yep I will a few days, shoot me a text.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:52 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
They arent trading Ek
That's what I thought. Beyond common sense, if you're saying it, it's money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
yep I will a few days, shoot me a text.
Will do my friend...right now it's between going back to Ontario and Cali...or do nothing and maybe go to Hawaii in the winter...it's amazing that it costs about the same to fly back to Ontario or to fly to Hawaii...there's something wrong with that.

Cheers

Old
07-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Harky121

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Here's a tip...if they know they've got under your skin by a simple post on an OPEN FORUM...they'll keep coming back.
Ok the colts fans were looking forward to their first ohl win in ten years and possibly win their first memorial cup. Right before game seven branch told the knights they were hosting the memorial cup in 2014 and i knew that was gonna happen anyways because bracnch is the knights saviour. The colts were up 3-1 in games against you then that's when you guys started to worry, and everyone knows knights fans they can never take a loss. Here's a tip learn get a better goal celebration for your fellow knights fans that marching thing is retarted.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:03 PM
DEVSTER

[QUOTE= and everyone knows knights fans they can never take a loss. Here's a tip learn get a better goal celebration for your fellow knights fans that marching thing is retarted.[/QUOTE]

Oh Snap...

Old
07-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Here's a tip learn get a better goal celebration for your fellow knights fans that marching thing is retarted.
Oh the irony of not doing a quick spell check.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YKY21b4uZB4

Old
07-27-2013, 10:28 PM
NHL Fanatic

It will be an interesting last two years for Ekblad seeing as its his draft year. He will be eligible for the AHL after the 2014-2015 season at 19 years of age so not much time left in the league. Would not be surprised if he is traded, but I don't expect it to happen. I do believe he will challenge whichever team drafts him whether or not to keep him next season. He is such a talented defensemen.

Old
07-28-2013, 09:18 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Ok the colts fans were looking forward to their first ohl win in ten years and possibly win their first memorial cup. Right before game seven branch told the knights they were hosting the memorial cup in 2014 and i knew that was gonna happen anyways because bracnch is the knights saviour. The colts were up 3-1 in games against you then that's when you guys started to worry, and everyone knows knights fans they can never take a loss. Here's a tip learn get a better goal celebration for your fellow knights fans that marching thing is retarted.
Wow...you're batting 1000. Keep swinging for the fences.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:59 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
It will be an interesting last two years for Ekblad seeing as its his draft year. He will be eligible for the AHL after the 2014-2015 season at 19 years of age so not much time left in the league. Would not be surprised if he is traded, but I don't expect it to happen. I do believe he will challenge whichever team drafts him whether or not to keep him next season. He is such a talented defensemen.
The way Ekblad read's the game is astonishing. He is so smart. Call me crazy but I think he could take shifts in the NHL this year and not be a fish out of water. I think boredom must creep into his mind, he has an answer for pretty much everything thrown at him. From a defensive dominance standpoint, I see Chris Pronger in his game and have heard others say the same. I think the comparison is perfect. Ekblad is so reliable, very few mistakes, Hawerchuk must love having that option in a 3-2 game to put him out there.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:24 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
The way Ekblad read's the game is astonishing. He is so smart. Call me crazy but I think he could take shifts in the NHL this year and not be a fish out of water. I think boredom must creep into his mind, he has an answer for pretty much everything thrown at him. From a defensive dominance standpoint, I see Chris Pronger in his game and have heard others say the same. I think the comparison is perfect. Ekblad is so reliable, very few mistakes, Hawerchuk must love having that option in a 3-2 game to put him out there.
Yeah, I haven't seen a defenceman quite like him for a while. I think the only thing different we will see from him this year is using his big shot more and put up about 60 points now that he will be leading the powerplay.

Old
07-29-2013, 05:02 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Both Ekblad and Lemieux make the summer U18 team Canada. Ekblad is no surprise but good for Lemeiux. Seems he has really improved this summer.

Old
08-05-2013, 08:21 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Both Ekblad and Lemieux make the summer U18 team Canada. Ekblad is no surprise but good for Lemeiux. Seems he has really improved this summer.
And now EA5 has been named team captain:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679576

Old
08-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Harky121

Are horvat and domi returning to the knights or staying with their NHL teams?

Old
08-07-2013, 05:27 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:
Are horvat and domi returning to the knights or staying with their NHL teams?
Too early to call, we'll find that out for sure either after training camp or after their first nine games in the NHL. I would guess both are back with the Knights though some think there is a good chance Horvat sticks with the Canucks.

Old
08-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Harky121

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Too early to call, we'll find that out for sure either after training camp or after their first nine games in the NHL. I would guess both are back with the Knights though some think there is a good chance Horvat sticks with the Canucks.
Thanks man appreciate it I just wanted to know because if the knights did get both of those players back they would dominate every team in the ohl and I think domi will come back now he's to small but I wasn't sure about horvat thanks

Old
08-12-2013, 07:40 AM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I dont think Eckblad will be going anywhere especially London despite some dreamy thoughts
The Colts return 145 goals from last yr,assuming Hall,Theoret and I have included Fawcett as the 3rd O/A for no are in the lineup
The D led by Eckblad,along with Kingston and NBay are amongst the conf and Leagues
best
The returning goals place them 4th projection wise behind Kingston,Nbay and Sudbury only ahead of them
The only question mark is goaltending that I see, whether Fontinos at 18 is ready to lead this team and with no identifiable backup,this may be a problem area to be addressed
As well there is a need for a couple more forwards,perhaps Lebanc and Kriess can make immediate impacts,which would really help
Sudbury has needs on the back end offensively,Kingston lines up everywhere though I am not in love with Mahalak as their tender,Nbay is pretty good upfront especially if Goodrow returns,but goaltending maybe a question as 18 year old Jake Smith gets the nod,with their stifling system he might be alright
Barrie in my view lines up as 4th best right now,chance to move up
I think they had a less then stellar draft, and are a couple a little thin for the next 2
drafts picks wise to deal for assets now
Foe example in 2014 they did not have picks in the 2nd,4th,5th and 7th,though they have 2-6trh and 2 8ths
For 2015 draft they dont have picks in the 2nd 4th,6th and 9th,but have 2 in the 3rd and 5th
I dont this team is as good as last yrs,but this might be the year to take a run again
though I do have concerns as to whether they have the assets to do it
Never the less should be an interesting yr with some promise for the Colts
On the goaltending , is Gibl on the Slovak U18 team? The 3 '95s listed on their team were Godla, Miklos and Okolicany. And Pajpach played against the U.S. ?

Old
08-19-2013, 09:45 AM
ColtsAreTheTeam

I don't see why everyone thinks the colts are going to suck this year. Just because they lost a couple of their top players doesn't mean they will suck. Look at Ekblad and Lemieux making team Canada. I can see them being the top team in the eastern conference, if not number 1 in the whole league.

Old
08-19-2013, 09:48 AM
ColtsAreTheTeam

After Brendan Lemieux and Aaron Ekblad make team Canada, it looks like they will have a stellar seasone!!

Old
08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsAreTheTeam View Post
I don't see why everyone thinks the colts are going to suck this year. Just because they lost a couple of their top players doesn't mean they will suck. Look at Ekblad and Lemieux making team Canada. I can see them being the top team in the eastern conference, if not number 1 in the whole league.
The only people that think they are going to suck are the Knights fans that think they can trade for Ekblad. Most rational fans know they arent going to suck. I think they'll finish top 4 in the east. Number 1 in the whole league is a stretch though.

Closed Thread