HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renaud Lavoie leaves RDS to join TVA Sports

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
You all still watch RDS? I stopped watching when they posted an article about Pacioretty, where he was being insulted by the writer. The writer was saying it was about time he was sent down and a lot of other non sense. I can't remember who wrote the article but I do remember it being taken down shortly after.

It was posted on the website, but anything RDS I boycott
If you want to watch every game in HDand live in MTL you dont really have a choice.

Anyway Lavoie is a bit crazy because TVA sports could close if they dont get a team in QC and RDS offer the best job security in the industry.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:37 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
He won't be able to leach from the TSN guys anymore, haha.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Oh man. This means Luc Gelinas will do more interviews?
Not really. Lavoie had stopped covering the Habs a while now and his tasks were given to Chantal Machabée.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Can't wait to see who RDS tries to promote as their ''informateur hockey'' now. Ugh.

EDIT: I could see LeBrun being on RDS a lot more to take over the role.

I'm a bit surprised that TVA added another ''insider'' since Pedneault already tries to be one. At some point though, TVA needs to deliver actual good pro sports content to be truly worth watching, not just stuff I can watch on Sportsnet.
TVA Sports also has Louis Jean, a former Sportsnet reporter/insider.

Lebrun already works for TSN and ESPN. I don't think he has much time left for RDS.

-------
Anyway, I'm pretty sure Lavoie left for $. I've read somewhere that TVA Sports could basically double your salary if they think you could be useful to them.

However, I'm not sure Lavoie will have the same "liberty" with TVA Sports. I guess the message will be "controlled" when it's related to the potential team in Québec.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:44 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Has to be about money. What else could there be? Less politics, maybe. Lighter work load, perhaps. Still, sucks for RDS.
Less politics?!?!?
How?

Old
08-07-2013, 05:48 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

both louis jean and renaud lavoie actually cover the sens instead of the usual RDS-habs-only bias, so as a sens fan this lowers the chances i ever end up watching RDS over TVA programming, and certainly lowers the chance i go to their website.

08-07-2013, 05:51 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
both louis jean and renaud lavoie actually cover the sens instead of the usual RDS-habs-only bias, so as a sens fan this lowers the chances i ever end up watching RDS over TVA programming, and certainly lowers the chance i go to their website.
That has more to do with the insignificant number of French-speaking Sens fans than about the network itself.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Just to add to my previous post, I could see RDS giving a bigger role to Jeremie Rainville. Also, Francois Gagnon could renew with his intermission segment during Habs games.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I am really happy for Renaud as I assume he gets a big pay raise. He is a selfmade guy that worked his ass off to build a network and a credibility.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:02 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Just to add to my previous post, I could see RDS giving a bigger role to Jeremie Rainville. Also, Francois Gagnon could renew with his intermission segment during Habs games.

NNNooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
I am really happy for Renaud as I assume he gets a big pay raise. He is selfmade guy that worked his ass off to build a network and a credibility.
I cannot say I disagree with you. This said, RDS actually helped him building that credibilty...

Old
08-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Renaud was the only one capable of relating non-habs/non-Quebecois information. This will make RDS even more Habs-centric (if that's even possible) and they lose the little credibility they had.

With that said, it's not a better move for Lavoie either.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Bob Cole

his list of contacts is worth big money. Probably got a HUGE raise.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
NNNooooooooo!

I cannot say I disagree with you. This said, RDS actually helped him building that credibilty...
Not really. They give him the smallest platform of all their personalities when he actually is their best. The problem is that for the most part, if it's not Habs or Quebecois related, RDS's audience doesn't care. Makes for ignorance when it comes to general hockey knowledge, and losing him won't help.

Could be a good move for TVA provided that they don't go the same route RDS did and actually cover hockey.

For example, on TSN, their most credible personalities are the ones with the most air time.

Boggles the mind, but hey...

Old
08-07-2013, 06:10 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Renaud was the only one capable of relating non-habs/non-Quebecois information. This will make RDS even more Habs-centric (if that's even possible) and they lose the little credibility they had.

With that said, it's not a better move for Lavoie either.
Before Renaud Lavoie became Renaud Lavoie, he was nobody.

Some nobody will thus probably become the next Renaud Lavoie for RDS.

(Why do I have a feeling they'll go for Mathieu Darche?)

Old
08-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
Relatively speaking, yes. But he's not the one likely to break any big stuff. He does break news from time to time, and good on him. You just get the feeling that what he brought wasn't valued by RDS

Old
08-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Before Renaud Lavoie became Renaud Lavoie, he was nobody.

Some nobody will thus probably become the next Renaud Lavoie for RDS.

(Why do I have a feeling they'll go for Mathieu Darche?)
Yes, but I can't help but feel they didn't use him properly.

I remember him posting an article on why he thought Crosby would sign his next contract with Montreal

Now I don't think that was fully on him, I think he was trying to feed his market what it wanted. I seriously doubt that someone who's worked so hard at gaining credibility would willingly put out a garbage piece like that.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Not really. They give him the smallest platform of all their personalities when he actually is their best. The problem is that for the most part, if it's not Habs or Quebecois related, RDS's audience doesn't care. Makes for ignorance when it comes to general hockey knowledge, and losing him won't help.
He was on hockey360, le 5a7, the Habs' intermission show and sometimes l'Antichambre. He also add his segment "L'informateur hockey" on Sports 30.

I wouldn't call this a "small platform"...

Old
08-07-2013, 06:16 PM
MXD

Quote:
Relatively speaking, yes. But he's not the one likely to break any big stuff. He does break news from time to time, and good on him. You just get the feeling that what he brought wasn't valued by RDS
Besides, don't you think leaving RDS will result in a lesser access to ... pretty much everything, but especially the Habs? No more McKenzie ...

Old
08-07-2013, 06:19 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
Lavoie is the French-Canadian version of Dreger: he has one big contact (in his case, Lecavalier) and he became an insider because of that. Other than that, he is a mouth-piece, just like Dreger. McKenzie and Lebrun, now, that's guys whose lists of contacts are worth something.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:20 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

All I gotta say is, man off seasons are long and boring

Old
08-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Besides, don't you think leaving RDS will result in a lesser access to ... pretty much everything, but especially the Habs? No more McKenzie ...
No, I think he still has his contacts. They won't stop talking to him cause he left RDS. As for MacKenzie, it's not like Mac threw him bones saying "alright kid, I'll let you break this one".

Dreger, LeBrun, Kypreos, they all did it on their own without Mackenzie.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Now I don't think that was fully on him, I think he was trying to feed his market what it wanted. I seriously doubt that someone who's worked so hard at gaining credibility would willingly put out a garbage piece like that.
He's gonna have a hard time with TVA Sports then.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
He was on hockey360, le 5a7, the Habs' intermission show and sometimes l'Antichambre. He also add his segment "L'informateur hockey" on Sports 30.

I wouldn't call this a "small platform"...
Compare his role vs insiders on TSN. I'd say it's pretty small. Especially when you factor in that they fill airtime with bubblegum coverage and world class clowns.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
He's gonna have a hard time with TVA Sports then.
Well TVA at least covers 2 teams. That's one more than RDS. Not saying their stellar by any means though

But if he was promised a bigger role with them, I can see why it might make sense for him. It's a gamble, but might make sense.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:25 PM
RC51

Lavoie is really good. this MUST have to do with a massive overpayment by TVA. For sure Lavoie asks RDS to match the offer. RDS must have said bye bye instead. SO good luck to Lavoie and like in all sports, " I am worth what people are willing to pay " Just remember if TVA can put together even just one set of really good sports people it will HURT RDS.

Old
08-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Hullois

At the end Lavoie was annoying, like if he new he had established some kind of credibility being the NHLs mouthpiece during the lockout and he had gotten arrogant. And now he will be on TVA's bad sports talk shows with Morissette and no one will be watching, or he will be on the sens broadcasts with what... 50,000 watching?

Péladeau really wants TVA sports to succeed, they lost something like 15m$ last year and he must have given a lot of money to Lavoie to steal him from RDS.

My only problem with this is if RDS gives Lavoie's air time to the horrible françois gagnon

Closed Thread