HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we really want to make playoffs?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-07-2013, 02:57 PM
  #26
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 500
Of course we want to make the playoffs. The question is, will we? I doubt it and would put our chances at about 25-30 per cent. Next year, however, it's playoffs or bust....

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
08-07-2013, 04:53 PM
  #27
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
It is very obvious that RNH will start the season from IR and lose 12-25 games. 15 games is my evaluation. This leads to situation that one of our top 2 centers is practically speaking fourth liner (Lander) minor leaguer (Arcobello) or college player (Miller). If he is playing with Perron and Yak it not helping to get Perron to go in the new team and Yak elevate his game to top6 level.

It is crucial to get good start to make playoffs. I really hope that MacT is not planning to suck again high pick.

Viny Prospal is offensive forward who can play both LW and center. He might be a good solution to play with Hall and Eberle in the first line and when RNH will be back in the thir line with Hemsky and Boyd. He will come cheap he is still without work.

Why is this obvious and where have you heard this?

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
08-07-2013, 05:10 PM
  #28
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Why is this obvious and where have you heard this?
The internet of course.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
08-07-2013, 05:15 PM
  #29
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,076
vCash: 500
I've never had deja vu (seriously), but I could swear this thread was up last year.

Soundwave is online now  
Old
08-07-2013, 05:17 PM
  #30
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,941
vCash: 50
Management probably doesn't care if we make the playoffs. They all have jobs for life anyway.

OilerTyler is online now  
Old
08-07-2013, 05:20 PM
  #31
Doppler Drift
Registered User
 
Doppler Drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Of course we want to make the playoffs. The question is, will we? I doubt it and would put our chances at about 25-30 per cent. Next year, however, it's playoffs or bust....
Not me. I find it so entertaining having my favorite team flounder around near the basement. So much fun.

Doppler Drift is online now  
Old
08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
  #32
Dubnykov
Registered User
 
Dubnykov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 50
My lowest expectation is a record over .501-.550

Dubnykov is offline  
Old
08-07-2013, 05:51 PM
  #33
Broilers
Registered User
 
Broilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Why dont we wait with this "We will be in the playoffs with a full team" until the Oilers have proven they are not a bottom 10 team? Becuse that is what they are, a bottom 10 team. Not a playoff team.

And Lander will do a fine job. No worries there.
I hope you are wrong but I am scared you are right. I think we are realistically between 8-12. If we acquire center who can play top6 minutes we can be in the range 10-15.

Of course if guys like Joensuu and Jones overachieved, Gagner is able to play defensive game too, Yak will avoid sophomore slump, Hemsky scores 65 pts, we add a piece or two during the season...

Who knows? Team has a lot of potential. I would take a risk and add center. I would even trade Hemsky and prospect for Paul Stastny. I want to see SC play off games again. ( I have seen only one home game of Chicago since 2006 and I eally felt bad because own team was not on the ice)

Broilers is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:08 AM
  #34
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
The team needs a better bottom 6, better defense and better goaltending (especially at backup)... they aren't a playoff team now with a full healthy roster and if RNH misses any significant amount of time that just further degrades their already very low chances at a playoff spot.

Do I want them to make the playoffs? Of course. Does management? Yes, but I don't think the moves they have made have put them much closer to a playoff spot than where the team was last season.

I think if everything goes exceedingly well AND all the longshot bets MacT has made pay off AND the top key players on the team stay relatively injury free... they could possibly challenge for a wildcard spot. I just think that's too much to hope for. Realistically I still see them at #11 in the West.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:18 AM
  #35
millpoo
Registered User
 
millpoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ST. A
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
I agree with the OP. Anyone employed or representing the Oilers say it's playoffs of bust this year, yet the team remains with serious holes in the line up, including a top-line centre spot that won't be truly filled until RNH *completely* heals - whenever the hell that is.

If the Oilers go into the season without another decent centre (Arcobello, Lander et al don't count) and respectable, tough 3rd-line winger, then MacT hasn't done enough to position this team for a run at a playoff spot - plain and simple.

millpoo is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:37 AM
  #36
Lindo
Registered User
 
Lindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,649
vCash: 500
Old boys club, injury prone, too soft, no veterans, no defense, Dubnyk sucks, Florida/Columbus rebuild, rebuild the rebuild.

Just thought I would get that out of the way. I think we'll improve and I don't know where it says anywhere that RNH is guaranteed to be out. I remember his agent saying things are tracking well and he should be ready for opening night.

Lindo is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 06:49 AM
  #37
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
I hope you are wrong but I am scared you are right. I think we are realistically between 8-12. If we acquire center who can play top6 minutes we can be in the range 10-15.

Of course if guys like Joensuu and Jones overachieved, Gagner is able to play defensive game too, Yak will avoid sophomore slump, Hemsky scores 65 pts, we add a piece or two during the season...

Who knows? Team has a lot of potential. I would take a risk and add center. I would even trade Hemsky and prospect for Paul Stastny. I want to see SC play off games again. ( I have seen only one home game of Chicago since 2006 and I eally felt bad because own team was not on the ice)
Scared? There doesnt exist a single argument that can make a good case about Oilers not being a bottom 10 team. They are. It is a fact. Like 1 + 1 = 2. People here are either stupid or in denial

Everlasting is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 10:00 AM
  #38
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,654
vCash: 69
Broilers is just planting seeds for a possible thread bump sometime in November.

I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
08-08-2013, 10:50 AM
  #39
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Broilers is just planting seeds for a possible thread bump sometime in November.
That is usually his M.O.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 10:59 AM
  #40
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
delete

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 09:52 PM
  #41
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder
 
Steve BachIntyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 204
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Yes, MacT does, otherwise he's not going after Ference and Perron in the summer.

However, he still needs 1-2 more moves if he wants to achieve his goal, and that's just to grab the final playoff spot.
This guy want the Oilers to become the Florida Panthers with a team full of UFAs. Look at them now.

The kids are growing up, lets not forget what that means. 4-6 minutes of ice-time per game aren't going to be the difference in making the playoffs.

Now if the Oilers were to get rid of Smid who is totally uncoachable that might be a different story on ice-time and defensive success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Old boys club, injury prone, too soft, no veterans, no defense, Dubnyk sucks, Florida/Columbus rebuild, rebuild the rebuild.

Just thought I would get that out of the way. I think we'll improve and I don't know where it says anywhere that RNH is guaranteed to be out. I remember his agent saying things are tracking well and he should be ready for opening night.
Shouldn't you be back on your Flames board? Cuz ur not an Oilers fan.

Steve BachIntyre is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 10:10 PM
  #42
MetaOil1993
Registered User
 
MetaOil1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
This guy want the Oilers to become the Florida Panthers with a team full of UFAs. Look at them now.

The kids are growing up, lets not forget what that means. 4-6 minutes of ice-time per game aren't going to be the difference in making the playoffs.

Now if the Oilers were to get rid of Smid who is totally uncoachable that might be a different story on ice-time and defensive success.



Shouldn't you be back on your Flames board? Cuz ur not an Oilers fan.
What? Why on Earth would we want to get rid of Smid?

MetaOil1993 is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 10:17 PM
  #43
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder
 
Steve BachIntyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 204
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
What? Why on Earth would we want to get rid of Smid?
because he habitually blocks shots, even on breakaways and 2-1's. The coaches tell him hey, Smid, don't do that anymore, and then he does it again, time after time, flopping on the ice as the puck goes in the net. Watch Oil Change.

I dunno maybe I'm wrong but IMO the guys with the Ice time are the ones who are the problem. IE: Smid, what is goal? Block with face? Shoot puck where? What is rush the puck mean? Ok, dump puck up Ice back to opponant, and try block shot again.

I love the guy he is hillarious but he should not be getting 1st line D, and needs some serious new habits. There is a reason why all the guys upstairs talk about is getting a legit #1 or #2 D-Man.

Steve BachIntyre is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 10:21 PM
  #44
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
because he habitually blocks shots, even on breakaways and 2-1's. The coaches tell him hey, Smid, don't do that anymore, and then he does it again, time after time, flopping on the ice as the puck goes in the net. Watch Oil Change.

I dunno maybe I'm wrong but IMO the guys with the Ice time are the ones who are the problem. IE: Smid, what is goal? Block with face? Shoot puck where? What is rush the puck mean? Ok, dump puck up Ice back to opponant, and try block shot again.

I love the guy he is hillarious but he should not be getting 1st line D, and needs some serious new habits. There is a reason why all the guys upstairs talk about is getting a legit #1 or #2 D-Man.
Wait. so you mean to tell me, that blocking shots is a bad thing?

Tad Mikowsky is online now  
Old
08-08-2013, 10:24 PM
  #45
okgooil
Registered User
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,297
vCash: 500
50% change nuge doesn't miss a game, 50% chance he misses less than 10.

We are making the playoffs next year. Book it.

okgooil is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 11:03 PM
  #46
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
because he habitually blocks shots, even on breakaways and 2-1's. The coaches tell him hey, Smid, don't do that anymore, and then he does it again, time after time, flopping on the ice as the puck goes in the net. Watch Oil Change.

I dunno maybe I'm wrong but IMO the guys with the Ice time are the ones who are the problem. IE: Smid, what is goal? Block with face? Shoot puck where? What is rush the puck mean? Ok, dump puck up Ice back to opponant, and try block shot again.

I love the guy he is hillarious but he should not be getting 1st line D, and needs some serious new habits. There is a reason why all the guys upstairs talk about is getting a legit #1 or #2 D-Man.
Dis some crazy **** right here.

smackdaddy is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 11:27 PM
  #47
Apocalyptic Mist*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
because he habitually blocks shots, even on breakaways and 2-1's. The coaches tell him hey, Smid, don't do that anymore, and then he does it again, time after time, flopping on the ice as the puck goes in the net. Watch Oil Change.

I dunno maybe I'm wrong but IMO the guys with the Ice time are the ones who are the problem. IE: Smid, what is goal? Block with face? Shoot puck where? What is rush the puck mean? Ok, dump puck up Ice back to opponant, and try block shot again.

I love the guy he is hillarious but he should not be getting 1st line D, and needs some serious new habits. There is a reason why all the guys upstairs talk about is getting a legit #1 or #2 D-Man.
Did you really try to tell everyone here that a top 4 d, who blocks a **** ton of shots and one that everyone would love on their respective team is not coachable, nor a very valuable asset to any team? He is not a #1 or 2 d... everyone here knows we still need one so he can excel in the 2nd pairing.

Apocalyptic Mist* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 11:32 PM
  #48
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!
 
Blue And Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
To answer the OP question...umm DUH of course we wanna make the playoffs.

I don't think we'll make it this year, but that's why we watch hockey right.

Blue And Orange is online now  
Old
08-08-2013, 11:36 PM
  #49
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder
 
Steve BachIntyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 204
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Wait. so you mean to tell me, that blocking shots is a bad thing?
There's a time and a place. The guy is a stumblebum though, just like moreau was in his end of times. How many #1 D-men get paid 3.5M, cant pass, score, or rush the puck? I mean seriously 4 points last season for 1st line minutes? 4 freakin points? How long have the oilers been giving this guy prime ice time? He has had three seasons with zero goals. Yes zero. Thrice. How long have the Oilers been waiting on him? 7 years. .13 P/PG. career -39. He's not even scary, and Avery sure didnt seem to think so. Most of his blocked shots have been perimiter shots to inflate his stats, just like Dubnyks saves.

Yes this teams problems are 4th line flavor of the week. No, IMHO .. its mainly because of who is on the ice the most not being able to play hockey compared to his opponants who can.

Is this the type of liability we want to have in our second most important role on the team as our #1 D-Man?

And i was mainly reffering to him attempting to block shots on break-aways and 2v1's.. Did you watch Oil change? Remember where Smith is talking to Smid about Flopping everywhere? I don't have time to pull it up but I am sure somebody remembers. Then he goes and does it again, and again. That's a liability.. but he loves Edmonton... so...


Last edited by Steve BachIntyre: 08-08-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Steve BachIntyre is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 11:40 PM
  #50
Apocalyptic Mist*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
There's a time and a place. The guys is a stumblebum though, just like moreau was in his end of times. How many #1 D-men get paid 3.5M, cant pass, score, or rush the puck? I mean seriously 4 points last season for 1st line minutes? 4 freakin points? How long have the oilers been giving this guy prime ice time? He has had three seasons with zero goals. Yes zero. Thrice. How long have the Oilers been waiting on him? 7 years. .13 P/PG. career -39.

Yes this teams problems are 4th line flavor of the week. No, IMHO .. its mainly because of who is on the ice the most not being able to play hockey compared to his opponants who can.

Is this the type of liability we want to have in our second most important role on the team as our #1 D-Man?

And i was mainly reffering to him attempting to block shots on break-aways and 2v1's.. Did you watch Oil change? Remember where Smith is talking to Smid about Flopping everywhere? I don't have time to pull it up but I am sure somebody remembers.
Hes a #1 D by default, he should ideally be on the 2nd pairing... im sure you are smart enough to figure out why Smid is on the 1st pairing.

I know what clip on Oil Change you're talking about but fact is... the coach was just being a coach. A coach telling his players what to do in certain situations doesn't mean he is and I quote "uncoachable", it means he is still learning... it goes for everyone on the team... ex. Hopkins and Gagner with faceoffs. Please dont tell me you think they are uncoachable.


Last edited by Apocalyptic Mist*: 08-08-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Apocalyptic Mist* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.