HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we really want to make playoffs?

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2013, 02:57 PM
MoneyGuy

vCash: 500
Of course we want to make the playoffs. The question is, will we? I doubt it and would put our chances at about 25-30 per cent. Next year, however, it's playoffs or bust....

Old
08-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
It is very obvious that RNH will start the season from IR and lose 12-25 games. 15 games is my evaluation. This leads to situation that one of our top 2 centers is practically speaking fourth liner (Lander) minor leaguer (Arcobello) or college player (Miller). If he is playing with Perron and Yak it not helping to get Perron to go in the new team and Yak elevate his game to top6 level.

It is crucial to get good start to make playoffs. I really hope that MacT is not planning to suck again high pick.

Viny Prospal is offensive forward who can play both LW and center. He might be a good solution to play with Hall and Eberle in the first line and when RNH will be back in the thir line with Hemsky and Boyd. He will come cheap he is still without work.

Why is this obvious and where have you heard this?

Old
08-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Why is this obvious and where have you heard this?
The internet of course.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Soundwave

I've never had deja vu (seriously), but I could swear this thread was up last year.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:17 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Management probably doesn't care if we make the playoffs. They all have jobs for life anyway.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Of course we want to make the playoffs. The question is, will we? I doubt it and would put our chances at about 25-30 per cent. Next year, however, it's playoffs or bust....
Not me. I find it so entertaining having my favorite team flounder around near the basement. So much fun.

Old
08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Dubnykov

vCash: 50
My lowest expectation is a record over .501-.550

Old
08-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Why dont we wait with this "We will be in the playoffs with a full team" until the Oilers have proven they are not a bottom 10 team? Becuse that is what they are, a bottom 10 team. Not a playoff team.

And Lander will do a fine job. No worries there.
I hope you are wrong but I am scared you are right. I think we are realistically between 8-12. If we acquire center who can play top6 minutes we can be in the range 10-15.

Of course if guys like Joensuu and Jones overachieved, Gagner is able to play defensive game too, Yak will avoid sophomore slump, Hemsky scores 65 pts, we add a piece or two during the season...

Who knows? Team has a lot of potential. I would take a risk and add center. I would even trade Hemsky and prospect for Paul Stastny. I want to see SC play off games again. ( I have seen only one home game of Chicago since 2006 and I eally felt bad because own team was not on the ice)

Old
08-08-2013, 01:08 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

The team needs a better bottom 6, better defense and better goaltending (especially at backup)... they aren't a playoff team now with a full healthy roster and if RNH misses any significant amount of time that just further degrades their already very low chances at a playoff spot.

Do I want them to make the playoffs? Of course. Does management? Yes, but I don't think the moves they have made have put them much closer to a playoff spot than where the team was last season.

I think if everything goes exceedingly well AND all the longshot bets MacT has made pay off AND the top key players on the team stay relatively injury free... they could possibly challenge for a wildcard spot. I just think that's too much to hope for. Realistically I still see them at #11 in the West.

Old
08-08-2013, 01:18 AM
millpoo

I agree with the OP. Anyone employed or representing the Oilers say it's playoffs of bust this year, yet the team remains with serious holes in the line up, including a top-line centre spot that won't be truly filled until RNH *completely* heals - whenever the hell that is.

If the Oilers go into the season without another decent centre (Arcobello, Lander et al don't count) and respectable, tough 3rd-line winger, then MacT hasn't done enough to position this team for a run at a playoff spot - plain and simple.

Old
08-08-2013, 01:37 AM
Lindo

Old boys club, injury prone, too soft, no veterans, no defense, Dubnyk sucks, Florida/Columbus rebuild, rebuild the rebuild.

Just thought I would get that out of the way. I think we'll improve and I don't know where it says anywhere that RNH is guaranteed to be out. I remember his agent saying things are tracking well and he should be ready for opening night.

Old
08-08-2013, 06:49 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
I hope you are wrong but I am scared you are right. I think we are realistically between 8-12. If we acquire center who can play top6 minutes we can be in the range 10-15.

Of course if guys like Joensuu and Jones overachieved, Gagner is able to play defensive game too, Yak will avoid sophomore slump, Hemsky scores 65 pts, we add a piece or two during the season...

Who knows? Team has a lot of potential. I would take a risk and add center. I would even trade Hemsky and prospect for Paul Stastny. I want to see SC play off games again. ( I have seen only one home game of Chicago since 2006 and I eally felt bad because own team was not on the ice)
Scared? There doesnt exist a single argument that can make a good case about Oilers not being a bottom 10 team. They are. It is a fact. Like 1 + 1 = 2. People here are either stupid or in denial

Old
08-08-2013, 10:00 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Broilers is just planting seeds for a possible thread bump sometime in November.

Old
08-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Broilers is just planting seeds for a possible thread bump sometime in November.
That is usually his M.O.

Old
08-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

delete

Old
08-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Yes, MacT does, otherwise he's not going after Ference and Perron in the summer.

However, he still needs 1-2 more moves if he wants to achieve his goal, and that's just to grab the final playoff spot.
This guy want the Oilers to become the Florida Panthers with a team full of UFAs. Look at them now.

The kids are growing up, lets not forget what that means. 4-6 minutes of ice-time per game aren't going to be the difference in making the playoffs.

Now if the Oilers were to get rid of Smid who is totally uncoachable that might be a different story on ice-time and defensive success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Old boys club, injury prone, too soft, no veterans, no defense, Dubnyk sucks, Florida/Columbus rebuild, rebuild the rebuild.

Just thought I would get that out of the way. I think we'll improve and I don't know where it says anywhere that RNH is guaranteed to be out. I remember his agent saying things are tracking well and he should be ready for opening night.
Shouldn't you be back on your Flames board? Cuz ur not an Oilers fan.

Old
08-08-2013, 10:10 PM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
This guy want the Oilers to become the Florida Panthers with a team full of UFAs. Look at them now.

The kids are growing up, lets not forget what that means. 4-6 minutes of ice-time per game aren't going to be the difference in making the playoffs.

Now if the Oilers were to get rid of Smid who is totally uncoachable that might be a different story on ice-time and defensive success.

Shouldn't you be back on your Flames board? Cuz ur not an Oilers fan.
What? Why on Earth would we want to get rid of Smid?

Old
08-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
What? Why on Earth would we want to get rid of Smid?
because he habitually blocks shots, even on breakaways and 2-1's. The coaches tell him hey, Smid, don't do that anymore, and then he does it again, time after time, flopping on the ice as the puck goes in the net. Watch Oil Change.

I dunno maybe I'm wrong but IMO the guys with the Ice time are the ones who are the problem. IE: Smid, what is goal? Block with face? Shoot puck where? What is rush the puck mean? Ok, dump puck up Ice back to opponant, and try block shot again.

I love the guy he is hillarious but he should not be getting 1st line D, and needs some serious new habits. There is a reason why all the guys upstairs talk about is getting a legit #1 or #2 D-Man.

Old
08-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
because he habitually blocks shots, even on breakaways and 2-1's. The coaches tell him hey, Smid, don't do that anymore, and then he does it again, time after time, flopping on the ice as the puck goes in the net. Watch Oil Change.

I dunno maybe I'm wrong but IMO the guys with the Ice time are the ones who are the problem. IE: Smid, what is goal? Block with face? Shoot puck where? What is rush the puck mean? Ok, dump puck up Ice back to opponant, and try block shot again.

I love the guy he is hillarious but he should not be getting 1st line D, and needs some serious new habits. There is a reason why all the guys upstairs talk about is getting a legit #1 or #2 D-Man.
Wait. so you mean to tell me, that blocking shots is a bad thing?

Old
08-08-2013, 10:24 PM
okgooil

50% change nuge doesn't miss a game, 50% chance he misses less than 10.

We are making the playoffs next year. Book it.

Old
08-08-2013, 11:03 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:

Dis some crazy **** right here.

Old
08-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:

Did you really try to tell everyone here that a top 4 d, who blocks a **** ton of shots and one that everyone would love on their respective team is not coachable, nor a very valuable asset to any team? He is not a #1 or 2 d... everyone here knows we still need one so he can excel in the 2nd pairing.

Old
08-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

To answer the OP question...umm DUH of course we wanna make the playoffs.

I don't think we'll make it this year, but that's why we watch hockey right.

Old
08-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Wait. so you mean to tell me, that blocking shots is a bad thing?
There's a time and a place. The guy is a stumblebum though, just like moreau was in his end of times. How many #1 D-men get paid 3.5M, cant pass, score, or rush the puck? I mean seriously 4 points last season for 1st line minutes? 4 freakin points? How long have the oilers been giving this guy prime ice time? He has had three seasons with zero goals. Yes zero. Thrice. How long have the Oilers been waiting on him? 7 years. .13 P/PG. career -39. He's not even scary, and Avery sure didnt seem to think so. Most of his blocked shots have been perimiter shots to inflate his stats, just like Dubnyks saves.

Yes this teams problems are 4th line flavor of the week. No, IMHO .. its mainly because of who is on the ice the most not being able to play hockey compared to his opponants who can.

Is this the type of liability we want to have in our second most important role on the team as our #1 D-Man?

And i was mainly reffering to him attempting to block shots on break-aways and 2v1's.. Did you watch Oil change? Remember where Smith is talking to Smid about Flopping everywhere? I don't have time to pull it up but I am sure somebody remembers. Then he goes and does it again, and again. That's a liability.. but he loves Edmonton... so...

Last edited by Steve BachIntyre: 08-08-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old
08-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
There's a time and a place. The guys is a stumblebum though, just like moreau was in his end of times. How many #1 D-men get paid 3.5M, cant pass, score, or rush the puck? I mean seriously 4 points last season for 1st line minutes? 4 freakin points? How long have the oilers been giving this guy prime ice time? He has had three seasons with zero goals. Yes zero. Thrice. How long have the Oilers been waiting on him? 7 years. .13 P/PG. career -39.

Yes this teams problems are 4th line flavor of the week. No, IMHO .. its mainly because of who is on the ice the most not being able to play hockey compared to his opponants who can.

Is this the type of liability we want to have in our second most important role on the team as our #1 D-Man?

And i was mainly reffering to him attempting to block shots on break-aways and 2v1's.. Did you watch Oil change? Remember where Smith is talking to Smid about Flopping everywhere? I don't have time to pull it up but I am sure somebody remembers.
Hes a #1 D by default, he should ideally be on the 2nd pairing... im sure you are smart enough to figure out why Smid is on the 1st pairing.

I know what clip on Oil Change you're talking about but fact is... the coach was just being a coach. A coach telling his players what to do in certain situations doesn't mean he is and I quote "uncoachable", it means he is still learning... it goes for everyone on the team... ex. Hopkins and Gagner with faceoffs. Please dont tell me you think they are uncoachable.

Last edited by Apocalyptic Mist*: 08-08-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Closed Thread