HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers "Flight Plan": New Behind the Scenes Series

Old
08-08-2013, 09:29 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
I think the Flyers should buy a fleet of drones and scout players with them..also tap into their metadata...very cost effective approach

But seriously, in reading Meltzer's blog post today and how he characterized Patterson's influence with respect to Morin I'm hoping it wasn't one of those group dynamics thing where the brainstorming never got into the norming phase and the person who spoke the loudest got his way. Obviously, can't get a clear idea with 8 mins of footage. I too would have liked to have seen Sinisalo's input with respect to the Europeans like Risto...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I think the Flyers should buy a fleet of drones and scout players with them..also tap into their metadata...very cost effective approach

But seriously, in reading Meltzer's blog post today and how he characterized Patterson's influence with respect to Morin I'm hoping it wasn't one of those group dynamics thing where the brainstorming never got into the norming phase and the person who spoke the loudest got his way. Obviously, can't get a clear idea with 8 mins of footage. I too would have liked to have seen Sinisalo's input with respect to the Europeans like Risto...
Well, Patterson is one of the most senior and respected scouts, as well as being the lead Ontario scout, so his input into Nurse being moved down was probably important too.

In the media articles, Patterson and Quebec scout Todd Hearty were mentioned as advocates for Morin. Greig didn't put up much of a fight, except that he had Mueller a spot higher than Morin.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:13 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well, Patterson is one of the most senior and respected scouts, as well as being the lead Ontario scout, so his input into Nurse being moved down was probably important too.

In the media articles, Patterson and Quebec scout Todd Hearty were mentioned as advocates for Morin. Greig didn't put up much of a fight, except that he had Mueller a spot higher than Morin.
Yeah I'm just curious who the alpha scout is of the group and if some scouts feel marginalized. I always hated group dynamics for this reason. Again, hard to get an idea of how they all operate in 8 mins. As far as Nurse he probably is right....have my concerns about that dude too..

Old
08-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Yeah I'm just curious who the alpha scout is of the group and if some scouts feel marginalized. I always hated group dynamics for this reason. Again, hard to get an idea of how they all operate in 8 mins. As far as Nurse he probably is right....have my concerns about that dude too..
Anyone interested in seeing Morin skate should tune in. Some great video of the Flyers' unofficial summer workouts:

http://flyers.nhl.com/index.html

Last edited by Larry44: 08-08-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old
08-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Quote:
Anyone interested in seeing Morin skate should tune in. Some great video of the Flyers' unofficial summer workouts:

http://flyers.nhl.com/index.html
Yeh, I saw that the other day... for a big guy he sure can skate, but I think most people knew that if they saw any of him in the Q. He has quite a nice fluid style as well, as opposed to bigger guys who skate ok but it looks laboured or untidy. I was reluctant with drafting him to begin with, and still am to a degree, but it is hard to argue with the assessment that of the guys on the board he had the biggest upside... I also think after watching more Q vids, scout vids, workout snippets in the last few weeks he was not as risky as I thought due to his skating, a big guy who skates like that is bottom two whatever. Not like Valabik who was big and mean but was a bad skater.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

I think it's interesting that Patterson, the head OHL scout, vouched for Morin (QMJHL) over Nurse (OHL). He probably saw Nurse the most as his main area is the OHL, and it says something that in his cross-over scouting (I'm assuming he did cross-over scouting in the Q and saw Morin play) he came to the conclusion that he thought Morin was a better prospect.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:55 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Yeh, I saw that the other day... for a big guy he sure can skate, but I think most people knew that if they saw any of him in the Q. He has quite a nice fluid style as well, as opposed to bigger guys who skate ok but it looks laboured or untidy. I was reluctant with drafting him to begin with, and still am to a degree, but it is hard to argue with the assessment that of the guys on the board he had the biggest upside... I also think after watching more Q vids, scout vids, workout snippets in the last few weeks he was not as risky as I thought due to his skating, a big guy who skates like that is bottom two whatever. Not like Valabik who was big and mean but was a bad skater.
Yep, Morin is a top notch skater. His footwork needs some work in that he can be turned inside out by smaller players, but in terms of lateral movement and forwards and backwards mobility, he's a superb skater.

I don't get the Valabik comparisons at all. Valabik was big, but useless everywhere else it mattered. He couldn't play the puck, he couldn't skate, he was poor positionally and he looked lost and confused out there. Kitchener ran a system that covered his weaknesses rather well.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 12:10 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Yep, Morin is a top notch skater. His footwork needs some work in that he can be turned inside out by smaller players, but in terms of lateral movement and forwards and backwards mobility, he's a superb skater.
He also acknowledged that agility is his biggest concern right now. For me, a young player that recognizes his flaws is excellent. That's the first step to improvement.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 12:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
He also acknowledged that agility is his biggest concern right now. For me, a young player that recognizes his flaws is excellent. That's the first step to improvement.
Hagg said he realizes he lacks consistency..so hopefully the both of them improve upon their self-actualizations..

Old
08-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Quote:
Hagg said he realizes he lacks consistency..so hopefully the both of them improve upon their self-actualizations..
I really like Hagg, especially where he was drafted, I still cannot believe he fell that far. The guy is such a classy kind of player to watch, he gives himself so much time to play the puck with his vision, skating and hands. I say this having only watched a few MODO senior games he played in, workout snippets and WJC games, but at times he has a very 'cerebral' quality to his play... but then he cocks it up at times as well! He really did not seem to have any weaknesses though, that was what stood out from watching him! I could see him being a surprise next year (14-15) and making the NHL if he improves his consistency, which he has acknowledges is a problem.

I may hopefully get to go and see him in a live game or two this year as visiting friends in Sweden, so may coincide MODO going to Stockholm with my trip!

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
I think it's interesting that Patterson, the head OHL scout, vouched for Morin (QMJHL) over Nurse (OHL). He probably saw Nurse the most as his main area is the OHL, and it says something that in his cross-over scouting (I'm assuming he did cross-over scouting in the Q and saw Morin play) he came to the conclusion that he thought Morin was a better prospect.
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675644

Quote:
Doing the heavy lifting on the later rounds of the draft are several key scouts.

The trio handling the CHL (Canadian Junior Leagues) are former Flyer Mark Greig (WHL), Dennis Patterson (OHL) and Todd Hearty (QMJHL).

All three also crossover and see each other’s teams and work in concert to discuss potential prospects, but all still have their own opinions and often lobby harder for the players in their primary territory if a debate arises.

“Cumulatively we get together and try to rank a list of players that we value,” said Greig, who makes his home in Lethbridge, Alberta. “In doing so, we try to cover the players in the beginning of the year, the middle of the year and the playoffs and hope that they progress throughout the season. Then in the end, you hope you get it right because it’s hard to project 17-year-old kids into becoming men.”

In Europe, the tandem is former Flyer Ilkka Sinisalo and Matti Kautto with recently hired Antero Niittymaki hoping on board as a European goaltending scout. Neil Little is primarily the North American goalie scout, although if you’ve read his blog, you see he’s been all over the world.

In Russia Ken Hoodikoff and Vaclav Slansky do the scouting while here in the U.S. the collegiate ranks are handled by John Riley and Ross Fitzpatrick. The United States Hockey League, the top major U.S. junior league, is manned by Wade Clarke, son of Flyers great Bob Clarke.

Andre Beaulieu, Jack McIlhargey, Al Hill and Simon Nolet round out the staff with Flyers legend Bill Barber helping out as a consultant.

“We certainly trust each other,” Hearty said. “We know the guys in our primary leagues the most but we definitely will go over and see the guys that one another are talking about. We certainly get excited about our own guys sometimes, but we are all capable of putting things in perspective. There’s a little bit of lobbying, sure, but we all trust each other.

“I’ve worked with a few different organizations and I won a Cup (as a scout) with the Anaheim Ducks, but I can say now this is the best organization in the league to work for in this department. Bar none.”
and Simon Nolet saw him a lot too. Motion to vote "Morin" carried!

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/spor...e_defense.html

Quote:
The Flyers have rarely missed in the first round, especially with players from Quebec. There is a famous story about Quebec-based scout Simon Nolet jumping up and down 7 years ago for a player named Claude Giroux.

Sean Couturier, Simon Gagne and Giroux are just a few of the players Nolet has pushed to draft recently.

"Simon Nolet and Todd Hearty spent a lot of time following Sam around," Holmgren said. "They're very excited that we were able to draft him."

Old
08-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

SanFilippo did an article with more info on the draft prep today:

WHAT YOU DIDN'T SEE ON FLIGHT PLAN

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost....id=DL|PHI|home

Old
08-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
SanFilippo did an article with more info on the draft prep today:

WHAT YOU DIDN'T SEE ON FLIGHT PLAN

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost....id=DL|PHI|home
I liked this picture from the article. I imagine they are debating who would win between Rimouski, Union, or Modo Jr team.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 10:25 PM
hockeyfreak7

When Morin fills out...man, he's gonna be something to watch. I have grown to absolutely love the pick. As much as I wanted Risto before the draft, I'm not too disappointed that we didn't end up with him now. Morin's punishing, can skate, and has a good first pass. Those are three fundamentals that should be an excellent base for a kid that just turned 18.

Old
08-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Lolnowayhaha

Morin just reminds me of a young Pronger, I can't wait to see him make his way to the flyers. Here's a cool video of Hagg at the 2013 WJC shows a little of what he's about you can tell this guy is gonna be an NHL'er dude's skilled and has great instincts. idk how to post videos heres a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxVGQ5G_rwo

Lolnowayhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Gert B Frobe

Not at all impressed with Chris Pryor and the way he handles himself in a meeting. He seems like a argumentative, combative ****. If he has a superior eye for talent then that's fine - but I don't get the whole tough guy crap. It seems like that room had too many steakheads and not enough brains. Give me a super-intelligent nerd who never played the game over some 50 year old ex AHL guy who works out all the time and thinks he's some kind of hard-ass.

I don't get this organization's love for the tough guy. I never understood how Berube got a job anywhere - the guy is a total cement head. So you could fight when you were 30 - great. How does that make him a good coach? Snider's infatuation with tough guys is his greatest shortcoming.

Love the Morin pick though. So maybe having knuckles for brains works out sometimes..

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 12:50 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Not at all impressed with Chris Pryor and the way he handles himself in a meeting. He seems like a argumentative, combative ****. If he has a superior eye for talent then that's fine - but I don't get the whole tough guy crap. It seems like that room had too many steakheads and not enough brains. Give me a super-intelligent nerd who never played the game over some 50 year old ex AHL guy who works out all the time and thinks he's some kind of hard-ass.

I don't get this organization's love for the tough guy. I never understood how Berube got a job anywhere - the guy is a total cement head. So you could fight when you were 30 - great. How does that make him a good coach?Snider's infatuation with tough guys is his greatest shortcoming.

Love the Morin pick though. So maybe having knuckles for brains works out sometimes..
I don't know if he's a great coach but he was in charge of the PK last year which ranked 5th in the league so he must be doing something right.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I liked this picture from the article. I imagine they are debating who would win between Rimouski, Union, or Modo Jr team.
That will be hopefully be a cool picture to look back on in 2018 when they're the core of the team's defense.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 10:30 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
wow, is Morin ever skinny. Can't wait to see him when he fills out

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 10:37 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

I don't get this organization's love for the tough guy. I never understood how Berube got a job anywhere - the guy is a total cement head. So you could fight when you were 30 - great. How does that make him a good coach? Snider's infatuation with tough guys is his greatest shortcoming.

How does it disqualify him from being a good coach?

And no "superintelligent nerd who never played the game" would ever be successful as a scout. You need to have played the game at a relatively high level in order to develop an eye for projecting talent. Note how an eye for projecting talent is not the same as an eye for talent. Anyone can do the latter; not so many can do the former.

Old
08-11-2013, 11:25 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
How does it disqualify him from being a good coach?

And no "superintelligent nerd who never played the game" would ever be successful as a scout. You need to have played the game at a relatively high level in order to develop an eye for projecting talent. Note how an eye for projecting talent is not the same as an eye for talent. Anyone can do the latter; not so many can do the former.
This. We can all speculate on what players need to do to progress from league to league until they get to the NHL, but without ever having that experience there is going to be a ton of details us hockey nerds would miss or get wrong.

And really, who cares what the personality of our scouting staff is like? These guys have done very well in last ten years.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 11:38 AM
poneill27

Quote:

In recent years the Flyers are one of the best teams drafting NHL players, so if Pryor covers himself with peanut butter and dances around in ladies clothes OR acts like a tough guy, I Dont Care!! He gets us NHL players.

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 11:48 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:

I think its a bit of a stretch to assume that just because a scout/player is tough or likes tough players they cannot be intelligent too ? Sounds like some kind of judgmental nonsense from some liberal encounter group to me.Toughness is a Flyers trademark and it puts a$$es in the seats which is what pro sports is all about when you look at the big picture.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 11:50 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The elongated pause before he said that was classic Homer.
It was EPIC ! Liked it as well

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 01:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
wow, is Morin ever skinny. Can't wait to see him when he fills out
I was thinking the same thing. I never saw Morin without a jersey on. I saw the picture before I read the article and I would not have thought that was Morin. Haha.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote