HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2013, 08:28 AM
pcamp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Impressed by the number of seers on here. None of us has any idea when Mac will be ready...could be next year, could be 4 years from now.

Had a few pops with Ottawa's assistant GM last night. He was in Lake Placid. One of his picks, Shore, was centering McCarron's line....he was quite impressed with McCarron, and thinks he's a lock for the American team. He also admitted that the Sens liked him...had him in their top 20.
I have to admit Grant, I wasn't too fond of the McCarron pick but I knew nothing about him and he wasn't on everyones radar. Great news that he is showing great flashes.

Old
08-07-2013, 08:32 AM
pcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
While I understand his size and physical style would make him a nice space making winger, his size/speed combo along with his defensive intelligence and his underrated playmaking ability have me thinking he could be an ideal 3rd line center.

We also don't really have a 3rd line center with size in the pipeline. I think you try and groom him as a center, and worst case he ends up on the wing.
Good point

Old
08-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
He's not just a legit 1st liner, he's one of the finest players at his position in the whole darn sport.
Don't bother with onemorecup, everyone on our roster pretty much sucks in his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Here is how I see it ...They will keep Gallchenyuk at LW for few years until they have a better option

Not this year but next year ...
Gallchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher
Pacioretty, Plekanek, Briere
Bourque, Leblanc/Bournival, McCarron
Wait, what? 2 guys who play mostly on the wing now are at center in your plan, yet you keep Galchenyuk on the wing?

Quote:

Had a few pops with Ottawa's assistant GM last night. He was in Lake Placid. One of his picks, Shore, was centering McCarron's line....he was quite impressed with McCarron, and thinks he's a lock for the American team. He also admitted that the Sens liked him...had him in their top 20.
So we know that Philly had him 23rd based on their draft video released yesterday, now we find out another good drafting team had him in their top 20.

Old
08-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I say McCarron will be ready when he's ready.

So far all the reports of him are positive and great to hear. Can't wait for his season in the OHL. I might have to get sportsnet.

Old
08-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I say McCarron will be ready when he's ready.

So far all the reports of him are positive and great to hear. Can't wait for his season in the OHL. I might have to get sportsnet.
Disagree. I think McCarron will be ready three hours before he's ready because we'll be playing Vancouver.

Old
08-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Gally and Chucky
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADespaties View Post
I would love to see that

American boys
1. Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - McCarron
The Vikings
2. De la Rose - Eller - Collberg

That'd be insane , but..... The heart and soul of this team Will have To play top 6 minutes! Talking about Gally of course. Only goes To show the depth We'll have if everybody developps To their full capacity.

Old
08-08-2013, 10:46 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally and Chucky View Post
That'd be insane , but..... The heart and soul of this team Will have To play top 6 minutes! Talking about Gally of course. Only goes To show the depth We'll have if everybody developps To their full capacity.
After one season, we're calling this guy the "heart and soul of this team"? Might be a little quick to speak so highly about him. I personally have a lot of reserves about his developement and durability going forward. I really have the impression what we see is what we get with him.

Old
08-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
After one season, we're calling this guy the "heart and soul of this team"? Might be a little quick to speak so highly about him. I personally have a lot of reserves about his developement and durability going forward. I really have the impression what we see is what we get with him.
Sounds good to me.

Old
08-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Et le But

Quote:
This is my concern with him. Which isn't a bad thing really, because he was very effective last year, but not the kind of player that will make or break you by himself. Also, there's definitely reasons to be concerned about his durability, considering his playing style.

Habs fans (well, hockey fans in general) tend to overrated good but not great players who play with a lot of heart. I remember hearing Gorges called untouchable and the core of this team before too.

I think Gallagher has a good future ahead of him, hopefully with the Habs, but he's far from untouchable, especially not in a top 6 role. And really, this team should be looking at having 3 two-way lines going forward anyway.

Old
08-08-2013, 11:15 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Sounds good to me.
Never said it wasn't. But I always *sigh* when I see posts putting him under the same category as Galchenyuk. I don't think people are fully aware of how exceptional Galchenyuk's year was after such a major injury.

Old
08-08-2013, 03:47 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

I think everyone, well most, are missing what the real deal is with this kid. We have a 6'6, 230lb, power forward, who is 18 years old? Oh, he seems to be more than competitive on a larger ice surface while playing against the best European/NA players his age... with monotonous consistancy. Wait till the Hunters are done with him! MWAHAHAHAHAAAAA! I hope they give him an AHL stint just to tear it up.

Old
08-08-2013, 04:08 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Never said it wasn't. But I always *sigh* when I see posts putting him under the same category as Galchenyuk. I don't think people are fully aware of how exceptional Galchenyuk's year was after such a major injury.
Agreed. And it's absolutely nothing against Gallagher. Galchenyuk just has so much more room to improve. I'm definitely not counting Gallagher out to still improve but I just can't see it being THAT much. Doesn't mean I'm not rooting for him though.

Old
08-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Seeing how some are handling themselves when they talk about McCarron proves so much how the Habs were slow at waking up and bring those types of guys in. We're so not used to get those kinds of players....I mean, for the old guys like me, I guess there "could" be some type of Turner Stevenson syndrom but then, this would solely be looking at a big guy vs a big guy and not really compare their entire and complete game.

The kid will be a NHL'er. Give him time and PLEASE.....don't judge him on this freakin tournament....or the WJC or lack thereof. Please remember how average Ryan McDonagh looked at those WJC and how he THEN became expendable....

Old
08-08-2013, 08:39 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Seeing how some are handling themselves when they talk about McCarron proves so much how the Habs were slow at waking up and bring those types of guys in. We're so not used to get those kinds of players....I mean, for the old guys like me, I guess there "could" be some type of Turner Stevenson syndrom but then, this would solely be looking at a big guy vs a big guy and not really compare their entire and complete game.

The kid will be a NHL'er. Give him time and PLEASE.....don't judge him on this freakin tournament....or the WJC or lack thereof. Please remember how average Ryan McDonagh looked at those WJC and how he THEN became expendable....
In other words, there's more to prospect development than a practice tournament for that other important tournament.

Old
08-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:

Good ol' Turner Stevenson...right in the middle of the Seattle fascination...a sorry time in team draft history. Vallis, Bilodeau, Stevenson three years in a row.. What was even worse was that it was reported in the Hockey News ahead of time that the Habs were going to take Stevenson..it was well known throughout hockey who the team was choosing two months before the draft.

The Habs followed the "Seattle trifecta" with Wilkie, Ryan and Higgins. The Habs' western scouts in the 90's are the largest reason why the Habs haven't had a sniff at winning the Cup since 1993....six out of 8 years between 1989 and 1996 the team selected WHLers in the first round who were essentially busts - with the possible exception of Turner. If that had occurred in the past dozen years during the internet age - the team would have gone through six head scouts due to multiple mob lynchings.

McCarron didn't hurt his chances at this tournament I don't think. He used his size some and had a few points. Thankfully he skates way better than Turner...who never lived up to his given name - he "Turned" like a battleship.

I know WS..back to my book.

Old
08-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Good ol' Turner Stevenson...right in the middle of the Seattle fascination...a sorry time in team draft history. Vallis, Bilodeau, Stevenson three years in a row.. What was even worse was that it was reported in the Hockey News ahead of time that the Habs were going to take Stevenson..it was well known throughout hockey who the team was choosing two months before the draft.

The Habs followed the "Seattle trifecta" with Wilkie, Ryan and Higgins. The Habs' western scouts in the 90's are the largest reason why the Habs haven't had a sniff at winning the Cup since 1993....six out of 8 years between 1989 and 1996 the team selected WHLers in the first round who were essentially busts - with the possible exception of Turner. If that had occurred in the past dozen years during the internet age - the team would have gone through six head scouts due to multiple mob lynchings.

McCarron didn't hurt his chances at this tournament I don't think. He used his size some and had a few points. Thankfully he skates way better than Turner...who never lived up to his given name - he "Turned" like a battleship.

Hey no problem...always like to know you are around....and I'm pretty sure you can do both at the same time...

Old
08-09-2013, 12:30 AM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

What I love about McCarron is that he will be able to play any line in the NHL.

I'm pretty sure he will start as a 4th line winger for his rookie season, then when the 3rd line RW spot will be available he will move up there, and maybe after a couple of years in the NHL he will most likely become a part time winger on the top 6 (like Bickell during the playoffs), and other games he will stick to the 3rd line.

Nobody knows when he will play in the NHL. But one thing is for sure, he won't be a top 6 guy in the NHL before a while.

Since a lot of you like to build our future lineup, I'll show you mine:

IN 3 YEARS:
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Briere***-Eller-Colberg
De La Rose-Pleckanec-xxxx
Prust-xxxx-McCarron

***I wouldn't be surprised if Briere sign another short term contract with MTL if our prospets aren't ready yet.
But I could see a guy like Andrighetto, who will be 23, be our 2nd line LW gem. But it's another debate :p

IN 5 YEARS
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Collberg or Gallagher
De La Rose-Eller-Collberg or Gallagher
xxx-xxx-McCarron
xxx-xxx-xxx

Expect guys like Hudon, Bozon, Lekhonen, etc pushing for a spot in the lineup, but right now, it's too hard to tell who will make it.
Even if Eller is a great foward, I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone in 5 years. We never know.
McCarron with the 3rd line spot.
Really hoping for a viking line as well!
Hoping for a Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher chemistery.

But guys, it's so hard to predict our future lineup that I don't even know why I did one. I'm probably completly wrong!

Last edited by FrontierPsyCHiatrist*: 08-09-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old
08-09-2013, 05:49 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:

IIRC Wilkie only busted because he blew out his knee. Most of those other picks were incomprehensible.

Old
08-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
What I love about McCarron is that he will be able to play any line in the NHL.

I'm pretty sure he will start as a 4th line winger for his rookie season, then when the 3rd line RW spot will be available he will move up there, and maybe after a couple of years in the NHL he will most likely become a part time winger on the top 6 (like Bickell during the playoffs), and other games he will stick to the 3rd line.

Nobody know when he will play in the NHL. But one thing is for sure, he won't be a top 6 guy in the NHL before a while.

Since a lot of you like to build our future lineup, I'll show you mine:

IN 3 YEARS:
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Briere***-Eller-Colberg
De La Rose-Pleckanec-xxxx
Prust-xxxx-McCarron

***I wouldn't be surprised if Briere sign another short term contract with MTL if our prospets aren't ready yet.
But I could see a guy like Andrighetto, who will be 23, be our 2nd line LW gem. But it's another debate :p

IN 5 YEARS
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Collberg or Gallagher
De La Rose-Eller-Collberg or Gallagher
xxx-xxx-McCarron
xxx-xxx-xxx

Expect guys like Hudon, Bozon, Lekhonen, etc pushing for a spot in the lineup, but right now, it's too hard to tell who will make it.
Even if Eller is a great foward, I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone in 5 years. We never know.
McCarron with the 3rd line spot.
Really hoping for a viking line as well!
Hoping for a Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher chemistery.

But guys, it's so hard to predict our future lineup that I don't even know why I did one. I'm probably completly wrong!
I think Ghetto is RW.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
IIRC Wilkie only busted because he blew out his knee. Most of those other picks were incomprehensible.
Wilkie was soft as butter in his own end - the Habs traded him before he got injured. Lots of offensive talent in junior, but he was exposed defensively at the pro level. Agreed that he was the best of a sordid bunch.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:45 AM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
I think Ghetto is RW.
Since he's a leftie I assumed he was a LW

Old
08-10-2013, 02:38 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old
08-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Treb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
I think everyone, well most, are missing what the real deal is with this kid. We have a 6'6, 230lb, power forward, who is 18 years old? Oh, he seems to be more than competitive on a larger ice surface while playing against the best European/NA players his age... with monotonous consistancy. Wait till the Hunters are done with him! MWAHAHAHAHAAAAA! I hope they give him an AHL stint just to tear it up.
London are Memorial cup bound, he won't sniff the AHL until 2014-2015 at least.

Old
08-11-2013, 01:22 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
London are Memorial cup bound, he won't sniff the AHL until 2014-2015 at least.
I know... Its going to be tough waiting!

Old
08-12-2013, 02:31 PM
boynickname

Video of Big Mike( or might I say jason segel ) lol

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-prospect.html

Closed Thread