HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Damon Severson - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2012, 60th overall, New Jersey)

Old
05-09-2012, 10:12 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Agree with one of the above statements about him being comparable to Alex Petrovic. Both big, right handed D, both likely 2nd round picks...both with projectable frames and play a number of different roles on the ice.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:30 AM
BJD

vCash: 500
how good of a season would damon severson have to have to get a look for canada's WJC team?

BJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:48 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDizzlez View Post
how good of a season would damon severson have to have to get a look for canada's WJC team?
Will not happen.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
BJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Will not happen.
not even a camp invite? im just curious because adam pelech got invited to the canada russia challenge so im just curious if he could get a chance at the december camp with a good start to the season

Old
06-25-2012, 12:04 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDizzlez View Post
not even a camp invite? im just curious because adam pelech got invited to the canada russia challenge so im just curious if he could get a chance at the december camp with a good start to the season
Might get a camp invite, but even that would be a stretch. Too many great D in front of him.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:07 PM
BJD

Quote:
Might get a camp invite, but even that would be a stretch. Too many great D in front of him.
so your saying there's a chance!

Old
12-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Just wondering how he is doing this year. I would assume he is eating all the tough minutes for Kelowna.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Eppic

He's having a solid year, not dominating by any means, but solid. He's using his body more and more, and is winning tons of defensive battles. He's then got the vision to make a good first pass often. I'd say he's improved tremendously from last year and is becoming much more of a leader on the team. While his shot is hard, he needs to hit the net more often. He's pretty creative though, and has been fun to watch, especially on the PP.

Eppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 03:30 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
9 points in his last 4 games, he seems to be streaky in his offense. He seems to be on pace to a similar season offensively to Brent Seabrook at the same age.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Mathletic

I thought he played a very good game against Lethbridge; the game that was on sportsnet on wednesday. I believe they gave him the hardest worker thing of the night.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:18 AM
BomaLightDevils

Another great game by severson.

Damon Severson - 1 goal (PP), 1 assist, +1, 1st star in Kelowna's 6-1 win at Red Deer

He seem like a player that could be a steal when considering he was taken 60 or something in the 2012 draft.

From friday´s night game: http://www.whl.ca/video/index/id/1355604360

Last edited by BomaLightDevils: 12-16-2012 at 08:26 AM.
BomaLightDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:21 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Just named Kelowna's defensive player of the year. Does he have a chance at the WJC?

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:32 AM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
Serious question: Does this kid have any flaws?? I haven't really heard of any that stick out.

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnots13 View Post
Serious question: Does this kid have any flaws?? I haven't really heard of any that stick out.
He's a Kelowna Rocket defenceman.. Of course he doesn't.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:56 PM
JimEIV

http://www.castanet.net/news/Sports/...-World-Jr-camp

Last edited by JimEIV: 08-05-2013 at 02:06 PM.
JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:40 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Awesome.. I'm getting pretty excited about this guy and can't wait to see him get a shot in the NHL in a few years. Should fit in nicely with the D movement we have up and coming.

Quote:

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:56 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post

Check that post date...it was from 2012, referring to this past year's WJC...not this upcoming one. I was 100% correct in my statement as he wasn't even invited to last year's camp.

Old
08-07-2013, 02:40 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Check that post date...it was from 2012, referring to this past year's WJC...not this upcoming one. I was 100% correct in my statement as he wasn't even invited to last year's camp.

Well, It was sort of misleading in my opinion.

When you said "Too many great D in front of him." It kind of gave the impression that he wasn't in a certain class.

When the reality is on the date you made that post Severson was 17 years old and he was just coming off an appearance on the U18 team. How many 17 year old defensemen make the U20 team?

He had an appearance on the U17, then U18 and then a camp invite for the U20 team while he was technically 18 years old, Happy Birthday Damon, today he is 19 years old... That would seem to indicate in his age group, he is one of the best Canadian Defensemen.

Yes, you were right...But I think you made it sound like he wasn't as good as his peers.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 05:43 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:

When you said "Too many great D in front of him." It kind of gave the impression that he wasn't in a certain class.

When the reality is on the date you made that post Severson was 17 years old and he was just coming off an appearance on the U18 team. How many 17 year old defensemen make the U20 team?

He had an appearance on the U17, then U18 and then a camp invite for the U20 team while he was technically 18 years old, Happy Birthday Damon, today he is 19 years old... That would seem to indicate in his age group, he is one of the best Canadian Defensemen.

Yes, you were right...But I think you made it sound like he wasn't as good as his peers.
I'm not about to turn this into a pissing match. I never said anything about him not being as good as his peers. I simply said that he wasn't good enough to crack last year's Team Canada WJHC evaluation camp....and he didn't.

That has nothing to do with where he is now, how he's performing now and how he compares to his peers at this current time.

Old
08-07-2013, 07:24 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:

I think you're overstating it. He simply said Severson had no chance at the 2013 WJC team, which he didn't. Last year Canada had a very good D group, which would have been even better had Ryan Murray been healthy. The fact that he has surpassed so many other players drafted ahead of him to get an invite to this years camp means he is a very good player and has made significant improvement

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:

never in a million years is anything you've said remotely accurate. no wonder good posters, like the one you've decided to challenge, don't stick around here forever. geez. have a marlboro and a budweiser and relax.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 11:09 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Damon is a great defenseman that has really exploded since he was drafted into the WHL. I had him ranked ahead of Sissons and Thrower in his draft year and has done nothing to prove me wrong so far. When I went to games to see Madison Bowey, I ended up watching Severson most of the time.

With a WHL Head Coach this year, I could see a Dumba-Severson pairing looking really enticing!

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 11:33 PM
kiwidevil

What is Severson's ceiling and D type? PP capability etc.?

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:46 AM
jayck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Damon is a great defenseman that has really exploded since he was drafted into the WHL. I had him ranked ahead of Sissons and Thrower in his draft year and has done nothing to prove me wrong so far.
If the 2012 draft was today, would you pick him in first round ?! Before Pouliot, Maatta and others ?!
I don't know him that much but I like what I read in a lot of scouts report.
Here's my ranking for 2012 prospect so far.

#1 Murray
#2 Reilly
#3 Lindholm
#4 Trouba
#5 Reinhart
#6 Dumba or Severson
#7 Severson or Dumba
#8 Maatta
#9 Matheson
#10 Pouliot

jayck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:03 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayck View Post
If the 2012 draft was today, would you pick him in first round ?! Before Pouliot, Maatta and others ?!
I don't know him that much but I like what I read in a lot of scouts report.
Here's my ranking for 2012 prospect so far.

#1 Murray
#2 Reilly
#3 Lindholm
#4 Trouba
#5 Reinhart
#6 Dumba or Severson
#7 Severson or Dumba
#8 Maatta
#9 Matheson
#10 Pouliot
I'd probably tentatively go something like:

1. Murray
2. Trouba/Rielly
3. Rielly/Trouba
4. Lindholm
5. Reinhart
6. Maatta
7. Pouliot
8. Matheson
9. Dumba
10. Ceci
11. Koekkoek
12. Severson
13. Finn
14. Skjei
15. McCabe

Or something like that. Severson had a big year, but so did quite a few other guys. Liking the early signs from this D class. Lots of talent.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote