HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have we become the best PK team in the NHL?

Old
11-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Scottish Ranger

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scottish Ranger
Have we become the best PK team in the NHL?

(Thought I'd end my months of lurking with starting a thread)

So anyway, I'm not talking statistically on this one but for the last few games we've adopted a high pressure style of penalty killing focused on not letting the opponent get a PP established in our zone and touch wood it seems to be working so far.

Do any other teams employ this style to quite such a degree? And if not why does it work so well for us?

All I know is I'm not quite so worried when we give up a penalty as I ought to be. Does anyone feel the same?

Scottish Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 10:47 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Ranger View Post

So anyway, I'm not talking statistically on this one but for the last few games we've adopted a high pressure style of penalty killing focused on not letting the opponent get a PP established in our zone and touch wood it seems to be working so far.

Do any other teams employ this style to quite such a degree? And if not why does it work so well for us?

All I know is I'm not quite so worried when we give up a penalty as I ought to be. Does anyone feel the same?
I don't quite remember who, but there is one team who pressures you like none other on the PK. I think Detroit-Ottawa are better off the top of my head, and with Madden-Pandolfo the Devils are pretty solid too

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Actually we pressure a lot less than many teams, and in fact employ a passive box PK.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 11:09 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
Actually we pressure a lot less than many teams, and in fact employ a passive box PK.
which I am not in favor of... I don't like our special teams at all, but I've made note of that on several occasions.

I think with the speed we have we could easily use a high pressure system and the PP is okay but if a team really focuses on it they just mug Jagr and we can't do much of anything. You'll notice the Sabres for the most part didn't do this.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Ranger View Post

Not to sound biased, as I'm generally very harsh towards the Canadiens, but they have the best PK bar none since the start of the year. They employ neither an aggressive or passive penalty kill, it really depends on which situation. They play a lot like the two guys behind the bench did on the pk (Muller and Carbo).

That said, I do remember Jason Ward being one hell of a penalty killer last year.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 11:34 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
Not to sound biased, as I'm generally very harsh towards the Canadiens, but they have the best PK bar none since the start of the year. They employ neither an aggressive or passive penalty kill, it really depends on which situation. They play a lot like the two guys behind the bench did on the pk (Muller and Carbo).

That said, I do remember Jason Ward being one hell of a penalty killer last year.
can you even make a statement like that?

(have you watched enough ranger games)

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 05:31 AM
WheresBarnaby

No Ottawa and SJ I believe are the best.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Ola

Betts and Ward are really good on the PK. They are both very strong skaters, especially Betts, and can pressure hard and still get back in time. Also they are both really good at driving the puck down the ice, deep.

Other then thoose two we are just scrambling out there. Shanny have pulled some heroics ect.

We need someone who can develop chemistry with Orts once he comes back, preferbly a natrual center...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

The Rangers PK is good, I dont know if I would classify it as the best SJ was pretty good as are alot of other teams. I would say its towards the top of the leauge but I dont know if best is the best way to describe it, atleast not yet. Give it a few more games

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 08:44 AM
DutchShamrock

It is impossible for the Rangers' PK to be any good simply because we have lost the tremendous talents of D. Moore and Jed Ortmeyer. How can any team improve when they are not in the lineup?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Fletch

The Rangers are...

17th in the league on the PK and were 1 for 4 last night - that makes them worse than average.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:01 AM
24Cups

Quote:

Carbo, Muller, and Jarvis, with the ultimate defensive guru Gainey overseeing things. If these guys can't rub off on how to play defense and penalty killing, then they can't be taught.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

the rangers PK is FAR from being the best in the league, in fact i think we are below average in that respect.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:26 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Minnesota is statistically the best just about every year. They use the same high pressure style the Rangers have been using lately. Last year the Rangers were 1-2 with the Wild for most of the year until they faded late in the season -- partially due to Betts' injury. We are OK on PK and hopefully will continue to improve as season goes on. Getting Ortmeyer back will really help.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:36 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
With Orts and Moore you can argue it, but no way we are this year. I think we are above average definetly

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 01:13 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I can't wait till Orts is back...

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Minnesota is statistically the best just about every year. They use the same high pressure style the Rangers have been using lately. Last year the Rangers were 1-2 with the Wild for most of the year until they faded late in the season -- partially due to Betts' injury. We are OK on PK and hopefully will continue to improve as season goes on. Getting Ortmeyer back will really help.
I agree, Orts was a great guy on the PK, I cant wait to see him and Hollweg on the ice together again. They are alot of fun to watch!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 05:17 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
i liked the way moore pressured the opposing players last year and when theyd shoot orty would block the shots. i hope as the team comes together the rangers become a top notch pk but at the moment i think we are average

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 05:24 PM
25 A L I V E

Quote:

The way he thrives off of short handed situations is amazing.

25 A L I V E is offline   Reply With Quote