HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread V: Needs to End Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2013, 01:20 PM
  #476
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Hasn't proven anything yet? Just laughable.
It would be lousy cap management to sign Stepan to a long contract when he has no arbitration rights! That's called common sense!
What exactly has Stepan proven thus far in his young career? What do you expect him to realistically produce points wise this season?
Please don't tell me 70 points!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:20 PM
  #477
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Agree 100%! The guy has had one really good year in a strike shortened season and you're gonna pay him mega bucks when he really hasn't proven anything yet?
top 11 center in points and better defensively than most ahead of him. he has also gotten better every year. stepan could become a 75-85 point center with elite defensive capabilities. lock him up at 4-5 mill per year now or spend 6-7 on him later. look at what happened with philly and giroux. giroux exploded and now theyre gonna pay him over 8 mill a year.

Dactyl is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:22 PM
  #478
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
It would be lousy cap management to sign Stepan to a long contract when he has no arbitration rights! That's called common sense!
What exactly has Stepan proven thus far in his young career? What do you expect him to realistically produce points wise this season?
Please don't tell me 70 points!
if you take his 44 points in 48 games last season, and play that out over 82, then yes 70 is quite realistic, as a matter of fact, many sites are projecting him at 70-75.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:22 PM
  #479
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
It would be lousy cap management to sign Stepan to a long contract when he has no arbitration rights! That's called common sense!
What exactly has Stepan proven thus far in his young career? What do you expect him to realistically produce points wise this season?
Please don't tell me 70 points!
how is 70 points outlandish at all? he had 44 in 48 games plus he had a really slow start

Dactyl is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:23 PM
  #480
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
how is 70 points outlandish at all? he had 44 in 48 games plus he had a really slow start
not to mention he wasn't playing with Nash all season like he will be this year. He was the #2 c last season despite actuallybeing the #1

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:24 PM
  #481
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
I love Stepan but please don't place him in Couture's class as a player!
umm why not?

Dactyl is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:25 PM
  #482
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,010
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
It would be lousy cap management to sign Stepan to a long contract when he has no arbitration rights! That's called common sense!
What exactly has Stepan proven thus far in his young career? What do you expect him to realistically produce points wise this season?
Please don't tell me 70 points!
I agree that they shouldn't sign Stepan long-term. That's not what I'm responding to.

Stepan has done plenty in his young career.

I projected 62 points for Stepan this season.

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:25 PM
  #483
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
not to mention he wasn't playing with Nash all season like he will be this year. He was the #2 c last season despite actuallybeing the #1
well clownorella forced beaver onto hags and nash to get him points. it took way too long to bench richards last year

Dactyl is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:25 PM
  #484
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Except he has, He's been in the league 3 years, and his #'s both offensively and defensively have gone up each season. Rangers if they had the cap space, would lock him up long term IMO.. The reason not to is he's 4 years away from UFA, so even if we gave him 6 years, thats only taking 2 years of his UFA.. Do the 2 year bridge contract, then after that lock him up for 6 years, which buys out 4 UFA years.
Good post and I agree with everyrhing you're saying here.
Stepan has been a special player for us but I believe he will be hard pressed to jump another level production wise because his God given talent may not be godd enough where as his hockey IQ (which has gotten him to where he is) is exceptional!

You can't install Stepan as our permanent 1C and expect him to play up to the level of legit 1C's thruout the league. It would be a diservice to him.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:29 PM
  #485
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You can't install Stepan as our permanent 1C and expect him to play up to the level of legit 1C's thruout the league. It would be a diservice to him.
he was 11th in points among centers (7 more than couture). that means only 10 centers had more points than him. so unless there are only 10 #1 centers in the nhl i would say that stepan is a #1.

Dactyl is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:31 PM
  #486
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
umm why not?
Look up Couture's #'s and his production in the playoffs. Stepan is not nearly on his level from a talent standpoint; not even close!

Fans around here need to stop placing so much emphasis on Stepan's #-s in a strike shortened season. Stepan is slight of build and putting up those #'s for an 82 game schedule will be difficult w/o him wearing out or getting injured.

Just my opinion though!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:34 PM
  #487
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I agree that they shouldn't sign Stepan long-term. That's not what I'm responding to.

Stepan has done plenty in his young career.

I projected 62 points for Stepan this season.
Absolutely, he has. Your projection for Stepan this season is quite reasonable. Nice to see someone around here with some common sense!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:36 PM
  #488
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,010
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Stepan is slight of build and putting up those #'s for an 82 game schedule will be difficult w/o him wearing out or getting injured.
As opposed to Couture, who is a body-builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Fans around here need to stop placing so much emphasis on Stepan's #-s in a strike shortened season.
I agree that Stepan's numbers are likely inflated some, but I think what fans really need to do is stop dissecting each player into each skill they have and ignore what they have actually produced.

Brian Boyle is online now  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:37 PM
  #489
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
he was 11th in points among centers (7 more than couture). that means only 10 centers had more points than him. so unless there are only 10 #1 centers in the nhl i would say that stepan is a #1.
You're either dreaming, live in a fantasy world or fooling yourself if you believe that Stepan is a legit #1C for a 82 game season!

You gonna put Stepan on the level with the likes of Crosby, Giroux, Tavares, Krejci or Bergeron, and countless other legit #1C's thruout the league? Good luck with that!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:38 PM
  #490
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 948
vCash: 502
62 points two season ago would rank as tied for 17th among centers league wide in scoring. Krejci, Getzlaf territory. Would be 3 less points than Couture had that season.

Off Sides is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:40 PM
  #491
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
As opposed to Couture, who is a body-builder.


I agree that Stepan's numbers are likely inflated some, but I think what fans really need to do is stop dissecting each player into each skill they have and ignore what they have actually produced.
Agree. Stepan is a wonderful player who wasn't blessed with a ton of God given ability so he has to work that much harder!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:42 PM
  #492
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You're either dreaming, live in a fantasy world or fooling yourself if you believe that Stepan is a legit #1C for a 82 game season!

You gonna put Stepan on the level with the likes of Crosby, Giroux, Tavares, Krejci or Bergeron, and countless other legit #1C's thruout the league? Good luck with that!
i never said stepan was on their level. however excluding krejci and bergeron, who i think he is comparable to, most teams dont have a crosby tavares or giroux. you do realize how rare those players are right? its like saying to be a #1 goalie, you must be on the level as lundqvist, quick or rinne.

Dactyl is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:45 PM
  #493
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
I never stated Del Zotto is awful; go re-read my post because your reading comprehension is lousy.

The only idiot on here is you for writing what you did about Del Zotto being an up and coming defenseman(when he has been pathetic in the playoffs!) and for your insult to my intelligence. I've forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know pal!
No, no. Please spare us all of your stupidity. I can read...much better than you. When you call someone a "Del Zaster" (you are so clever btw, we should give you a lollipop for your funny jokes) that is basically saying someone is awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I wonder if people know that Del Zotto at his age has put up more points than Letang did at the same age.. despite playing with guys far inferior to Crosby and Malkin!.
Facts? Facts you say?? Get out of here with those. The young man still sucks because he had one bad playoff series against NJ in 2012. Clearly this kid is a bust.

Before the NJ series, Del Zotto had 8 points in 14 GP. 4 of those 8 points came from the PP. He was a minus player in just one game before the NJ series. ONE out of FOURTEEN. You clearly are the one who cannot read. Idiot. Oh and btw....his grandmother passed away right as the NJ series started. He had flown back home for her wake/funeral and then back to the Tri State area to play. But hey, he is simply not allowed to be a human being because that would just deter your ****ing stupid argument right now.

As a rookie at just 19 years old he was a -20. But he also put up 37 points, the most by a defenseman on the Rangers that year. His defensive game needed work, but he had an instant impact on the team.

Two years later after having a setback like most 20 year olds tend to have, he comes back as a 21 year old in the 2011-2012 season and puts up 41 points as a +20 player. Complete reversal for his impact on the ice as far as a liability goes. Led the team again. 9 points ahead of McDonagh and 12 points ahead of Girardi. Those two played all 82 games. Del Zotto played 77. Maybe Del Zotto ends up with a few more points that year. 18th in the league in scoring among defensemen. Tied for 11th in the league in +/- among defensemen. But hey man, this KID is garbage. Again you are an idiot.

Last year with offensively challenged team we had, and a defense that was missing Staal for half the season, he led the team again with 21 points in 46 GP, with a +6. He had the 3rd most minutes for TOI if you don't count Staal which again you can;t because you know he had that whole injury thing. He was counted on two handle much more of the work and he did a fantastic job. His OVERALL game as you like to point out as a liability, was nothing short of spectacular compared to how he was in the past and the circumstances this team was dealt. He was great last year, even better than McDonagh and Girardi at times because they were having off years. And let us remind you, all at 22 years old on a great contract. He was on pace for his highest scoring season at just 22 years old. He has led the team's defensemen in scoring 3 of the last 4 years.

But you know what, we are all the idiots, and you are a genius Drew. Actually, no you are just an idiot who is really the one who cannot read. Simply put. Oh and btw, John Carlson who you claim would've been a better choice than Del Zotto, put up 22 and 32 points, respectively, the last two years. I guess the Rangers drafting Del Zotto wasn't that horrible after all.

In the words of Bill Engvall, "Here's Your Sign."

EDIT: Just some more food for thought, the last rangers defenseman to reach 40 points was Roszival in 2006-2007. The last rangers defenseman to score more than 41 points was Poti in 2002-2003 with 48 points. I think Del Zotto can top that this year under AV


Last edited by RGY: 08-08-2013 at 01:51 PM.
RGY is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:52 PM
  #494
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You're either dreaming, live in a fantasy world or fooling yourself if you believe that Stepan is a legit #1C for a 82 game season!

You gonna put Stepan on the level with the likes of Crosby, Giroux, Tavares, Krejci or Bergeron, and countless other legit #1C's thruout the league? Good luck with that!
I think, in a perfect world, Stepan can develop into a Bergeron/Krejci type of player. A very, very good 1B type of center compared to elites around the league.

Besides, thats a poor way of evaluating things. We'll likely never have a Crosby, Malkin, or Tavares. But, for instance, I'd put Stepan and Lundqvist against Tavares and Nabakov any day of the week.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:55 PM
  #495
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,584
vCash: 500
Enough with the name calling.

Jabroni is online now  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:56 PM
  #496
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
i never said stepan was on their level. however excluding krejci and bergeron, who i think he is comparable to, most teams dont have a crosby tavares or giroux. you do realize how rare those players are right? its like saying to be a #1 goalie, you must be on the level as lundqvist, quick or rinne.
Stepan's career will be much better served as our #2C. That's really all I'm saying.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 01:59 PM
  #497
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think, in a perfect world, Stepan can develop into a Bergeron/Krejci type of player. A very, very good 1B type of center compared to elites around the league.

Besides, thats a poor way of evaluating things. We'll likely never have a Crosby, Malkin, or Tavares. But, for instance, I'd put Stepan and Lundqvist against Tavares and Nabakov any day of the week.
I drew a comparison to Bergeron and Mike Richards when Stepan was in college. I stand by it today. 70 points with top-notch two way play. That's elite in my book.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 02:04 PM
  #498
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
No, no. Please spare us all of your stupidity. I can read...much better than you. When you call someone a "Del Zaster" (you are so clever btw, we should give you a lollipop for your funny jokes) that is basically saying someone is awful.


Facts? Facts you say?? Get out of here with those. The young man still sucks because he had one bad playoff series against NJ in 2012. Clearly this kid is a bust.

Before the NJ series, Del Zotto had 8 points in 14 GP. 4 of those 8 points came from the PP. He was a minus player in just one game before the NJ series. ONE out of FOURTEEN. You clearly are the one who cannot read. Idiot. Oh and btw....his grandmother passed away right as the NJ series started. He had flown back home for her wake/funeral and then back to the Tri State area to play. But hey, he is simply not allowed to be a human being because that would just deter your ****ing stupid argument right now.

As a rookie at just 19 years old he was a -20. But he also put up 37 points, the most by a defenseman on the Rangers that year. His defensive game needed work, but he had an instant impact on the team.

Two years later after having a setback like most 20 year olds tend to have, he comes back as a 21 year old in the 2011-2012 season and puts up 41 points as a +20 player. Complete reversal for his impact on the ice as far as a liability goes. Led the team again. 9 points ahead of McDonagh and 12 points ahead of Girardi. Those two played all 82 games. Del Zotto played 77. Maybe Del Zotto ends up with a few more points that year. 18th in the league in scoring among defensemen. Tied for 11th in the league in +/- among defensemen. But hey man, this KID is garbage. Again you are an idiot.

Last year with offensively challenged team we had, and a defense that was missing Staal for half the season, he led the team again with 21 points in 46 GP, with a +6. He had the 3rd most minutes for TOI if you don't count Staal which again you can;t because you know he had that whole injury thing. He was counted on two handle much more of the work and he did a fantastic job. His OVERALL game as you like to point out as a liability, was nothing short of spectacular compared to how he was in the past and the circumstances this team was dealt. He was great last year, even better than McDonagh and Girardi at times because they were having off years. And let us remind you, all at 22 years old on a great contract. He was on pace for his highest scoring season at just 22 years old. He has led the team's defensemen in scoring 3 of the last 4 years.

But you know what, we are all the idiots, and you are a genius Drew. Actually, no you are just an idiot who is really the one who cannot read. Simply put. Oh and btw, John Carlson who you claim would've been a better choice than Del Zotto, put up 22 and 32 points, respectively, the last two years. I guess the Rangers drafting Del Zotto wasn't that horrible after all.

In the words of Bill Engvall, "Here's Your Sign."

EDIT: Just some more food for thought, the last rangers defenseman to reach 40 points was Roszival in 2006-2007. The last rangers defenseman to score more than 41 points was Poti in 2002-2003 with 48 points. I think Del Zotto can top that this year under AV
Once again, we have a failure to read and understand what I wrote. All I've been saying since DZ has been here is that he won't maximize his God given ability because he has a low hockey IQ. How many braindead performances that spring out of nowhere does he have to have before some people around here get it or did we all of a sudden forget all of the DZ trashings that inundated this site after last season's playoffs?

Btw, I'm not the only poster around her who refers to DZ as Del Zaster.
Selective Amnesia doesn't fly around here!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 02:06 PM
  #499
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think, in a perfect world, Stepan can develop into a Bergeron/Krejci type of player. A very, very good 1B type of center compared to elites around the league.

Besides, thats a poor way of evaluating things. We'll likely never have a Crosby, Malkin, or Tavares. But, for instance, I'd put Stepan and Lundqvist against Tavares and Nabakov any day of the week.
I would take Tavares by himself all day long!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
08-08-2013, 02:07 PM
  #500
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,847
vCash: 500
Stop coaching Pat

Quote:
The organization could re-sign restricted free agent center Derek Stepan for more than their approximate $2.8 million remaining under the upcoming season’s $64.3 million salary cap. The NHL is allowing teams to spend up to 10% above the ceiling this offseason, as long as they get back under the cap by the final day of training camp.

But Rangers assistant GM Jeff Gorton said Thursday at Yankee Stadium that the Blueshirts do not intend to spend over and put themselves in the position of having to shed salary in September. That means Stepan’s annual pay on his eventual contract almost certainly will come under $3 million.

We’ve got to plan on being under the cap, and we should start doing that now,” Gorton said near the on-deck circle in the Bronx, where the NHL held a press conference to promote the Blueshirts’ Jan. 26 and Jan. 29 outdoor Stadium Series games against the Devils and Islanders, respectively. “I don’t want to rule anything out, but that’s how we’re planning to be under the cap when it’s time, because that’s the rules.”
Quote:
Gorton said he and Stepan’s representatives haven’t talked in a few weeks but that he plans on speaking with them “in the next few days.” The Rangers prefer to negotiate two-year bridge deals off most players’ entry-level contracts, but Stepan is unique and proved indispensable to the club last season.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...han-talks-reha

In a 2 year contract bridging the non and arbitration years,Stepan is not getting more than $2.8M. It will be more than $3M in a long term deal.

Moving a player(Brian Boyle?)would give Gorton flexibility to sign Stepan to a long-term contract.

Andrew Gross

Quote:
Gorton said the Rangers would prefer not to exceed the salary cap during the summer - they can by up to 10 percent until the start of the season - and that does make it more difficult to conclude a bridge contract with Derek Stepan, who was not arbitration eligible and thus really has little leverage in these negotiations without receiving an offer sheet, which is all but assured of not happening.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...penings_today/

How much does Andrew think it will cost to sign Stepan?

RangerBoy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.