HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread V: Needs to End Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think, in a perfect world, Stepan can develop into a Bergeron/Krejci type of player. A very, very good 1B type of center compared to elites around the league.

Besides, thats a poor way of evaluating things. We'll likely never have a Crosby, Malkin, or Tavares. But, for instance, I'd put Stepan and Lundqvist against Tavares and Nabakov any day of the week.
With all due respect, Stepan will never be a Bergeron who is already the best 2 way player in the league.
Krejci perhaps but Krejci has been lights out production wise in the playoffs putting up over 20+ points in 2 cup runs.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:12 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Derek Stepan, Rangers. Team USA coach Scott Gordon identified Stepan as one of the players he was most impressed with after the tournament was finished, comparing him to Boston’s Patrice Bergeron. “I didn’t realize how good Derek Stepan was,” Gordon told Sporting News. “He was pretty impressive not just from a point standpoint but his hockey intelligence. He’s the whole package.” Stepan had seven points in seven games for Team USA.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...rld-tournament

Gordon coached Bergeron in 04-05 during Lockout #2. Gordon coached Stepan in the 2011 World Championships.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I drew a comparison to Bergeron and Mike Richards when Stepan was in college. I stand by it today. 70 points with top-notch two way play. That's elite in my book.
Stepan doesn't have Bergeron's or Richard's skills; his hockey IQ will have to carry him a long way. Here we go with the "elite" nonsense again!

Old
08-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...rld-tournament

Gordon coached Bergeron in 04-05 during Lockout #2. Gordon coached Stepan in the 2011 World Championships.
With all due respect, Stepan will never ever be close to Bergeron who, before all the concussion issues, was on the fast track to hockey superstardom. Look up Bergeron's #'s his first few years and bear in mind that he made the NHL right out of gate.
He is hands down the best 2 way player in the league right now and he is the best face-off guy bar none!

Old
08-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Stepan doesn't have Bergeron's or Richard's skills; his hockey IQ will have to carry him a long way. Here we go with the "elite" nonsense again!
You have your opinion, and I have mine. I trust mine over yours, so I'm going to go ahead and stick with it and I'll leave it at that.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Stepan's career will be much better served as our #2C. That's really all I'm saying.
It'd be even better if he was our #4 C ... Sadly, we are not coming up with Giroux, Crosby, and Malkin. In a trade it would cost a ridiculous amount, and as a UFA it'd be 7 years @ 70 million.

I'd love to have a top 5 center, but they don't grow on trees. Stepan is coming into top 15 territory. I think that's about as good as we're going to get at this point. The Bruins won the Cup with Krejci and Bergeron in the past so why couldn't we do it with Stepan and a guy (just an example) like a RoR? A player like that could potentially be obtained.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
You have your opinion, and I have mine. I'm going to go ahead and stick with mine and I'll leave it at that.
Sounds good to me. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Old
08-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
You have your opinion, and I have mine. I trust mine over yours, so I'm going to go ahead and stick with it and I'll leave it at that.
+1 ... I don't see any reason that Stepan can't be that type of player. I'm seeing a lot of the 'grass is always greener' type of comments.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
It'd be even better if he was our #4 C ... Sadly, we are not coming up with Giroux, Crosby, and Malkin. In a trade it would cost a ridiculous amount, and as a UFA it'd be 7 years @ 70 million.

I'd love to have a top 5 center, but they don't grow on trees. Stepan is coming into top 15 territory. I think that's about as good as we're going to get at this point. The Bruins won the Cup with Krejci and Bergeron in the past so why couldn't we do it with Stepan and a guy (just an example) like a RoR? A player like that could potentially be obtained.
I agree with you 100%; ROR would be a terrific addition to our roster but either way, once Richards is bought out, we really need a bigger, more physically gifted center to take over as our #1C going forward.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
With all due respect, Stepan will never be a Bergeron who is already the best 2 way player in the league.
Krejci perhaps but Krejci has been lights out production wise in the playoffs putting up over 20+ points in 2 cup runs.
Look, Im usually pessimistic like you. But considering what Stepan has done his first 3 seasons in the NHL, and considering hes only 22 years old, I think its awfully foolish to write him off as ever being a #1 center at this point.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:26 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
“We fully expect we’re going to get something done by the time we’re in camp,” Gorton said. “We plan on talking to him soon — in the next few days.”

Gorton hinted that a two-year bridge contract is a likely solution.

“Derek’s at a spot in his career where he’s coming out of his entry-level contract,” Gorton said. “We just have to find something. We’ve done it in the past with some of these guys and we’re just trying to do the same things. Obviously, he’s a big part of our team and we want to get him signed as soon as possible.”
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/...medium=twitter

Old
08-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
+1 ... I don't see any reason that Stepan can't be that type of player. I'm seeing a lot of the 'grass is always greener' type of comments.
Nothing wrong with the "grass is always greener" philosophy. Fifty+ yrs as a fan has kind of tempered my expectations and enthusiasm though. Who knows really; if anyone can achieve it, Stepan, who has gotten it from day#1, has the best shot at reaching that lofty status because of his work ethic and smarts.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
It's the same kind of stuff I see with every player who shows promise around here. A poster blasts a player over and over, even when the proof is right in front of him that he's wrong, and I'm supposed to take them seriously? Just not going to happen.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Look, Im usually pessimistic like you. But considering what Stepan has done his first 3 seasons in the NHL, and considering hes only 22 years old, I think its awfully foolish to write him off as ever being a #1 center at this point.
That's a very reasonable assumption on your part. I hope I end up eating crow when all is said and done regarding Stepan's ceiling and Del Zotto's as wll!

Old
08-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
"Best two way player in the league" is just a circuitous way of saying "overrated flavor of the month."

See: Datsyuk, Pavel; Bergeron, Patrice

Old
08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Gerald View Post
"Best two way player in the league" is just a circuitous way of saying "overrated flavor of the month."

Funny. I think both of those guys are criminally underrated.

Old
08-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:

Or it's a way of saying that those players are great at defending and attacking. But let me guess, offense is the only thing a forward should care about.

Last edited by Rangers Fail: 08-08-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old
08-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

6 months ago there were people around here that were convinced that Stepan is a 3rd line center at best, and that we ought to trade him. Now they're clinging to some false belief that he's going to max out as a 50 point player over an 82 game season.

Old
08-08-2013, 03:09 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

Wait. Really?

08-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

boy, this off season really needs to end. **** doesn't make any sense around here anymore.

Old
08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
6 months ago there were people around here that were convinced that Stepan is a 3rd line center at best, and that we ought to trade him. Now they're clinging to some false belief that he's going to max out as a 50 point player over an 82 game season.
He's not a "fancy" player..

Old
08-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
He's not a "fancy" player..
may not be fancy but he is FABULOUS. i mean he likes high school musical and tap dances right?

Old
08-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Aufheben
Crick Nash

vCash: 130
Quote:
Why not? Stepan is already getting up there. I think the biggest difference is Bergeron is a beast on FO's and steps up big in the playoffs.

What was Bergeron like at Stepan's age? I think Stepan will be looked at the same way Bergeron is now, when he's 28.

Old
08-08-2013, 03:43 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Why not? Stepan is already getting up there. I think the biggest difference is Bergeron is a beast on FO's and steps up big in the playoffs.
And that's all while being 5 years older than Stepan. Still got a ways to go with this one

EDIT: You and your damn edit

Old
08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Aufheben
Crick Nash

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
And that's all while being 5 years older than Stepan. Still got a ways to go with this one

EDIT: You and your damn edit
I don't do edits, I am edits.

Closed Thread