HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders Announce Affiliation Agreement with ECHL Stockton Thunder

Old
07-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
It's "AA"
Exactly!

Interestingly, Germany is chock full of former ECHLers who manage to do much better at the top level here than a number of former AHL guys or even former, yet older NHLers.

In any case, the league has come a long way since my days of watching the Norfolk Admirals or Richmond teams at the beginning of the 90s.

A long way...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
Jason Clark's plane ticket to Stockton is already booked.
It better not be.

If they don't find a way to work him into a regular role in the AHL this season, then I truly do not know what in all of God's great green nature they signed him for.

Actually, I didn't know why when it happened...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:46 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
It better not be.

If they don't find a way to work him into a regular role in the AHL this season, then I truly do not know what in all of God's great green nature they signed him for.

Actually, I didn't know why when it happened...
It's one of the great mysteries of the world that one. Maybe it's one of these "If I toldyou I would have to kill you" things

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:53 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Apologies for my ignorant comment. Was just trying to make a joke.

Resume sounds good.
Sorry if that came off as harsh, it wasn't intended to be. I just didn't think it was apt to imply he wasn't qualified for his position, when he certainly is.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:07 AM
blackmesa

People keep mentioning that this is evidence of Wang spending (a little bit of) money. Is that true though?

I have no idea how these things work, but I always assumed that in anything past the AHL, these "affiliations" didnt really mean much.

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:32 AM
TheBigBadCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Wow, slowly becoming a real sports franchise again. Pretty soon the games will be on a real radio station again too.
Any news on a radio station when they move to BKLYN ?

TheBigBadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:34 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Sorry if that came off as harsh, it wasn't intended to be. I just didn't think it was apt to imply he wasn't qualified for his position, when he certainly is.
No problem, it was a poorly executed joke on my part. You called me out and you were right to. My bad.

I have no problem with a former Isle with quite a bit of experience thrown into the mix. I assume only the real dark horse kids who have no spot at the Bridge will be there anyway. Some of the project d-men we drafted in the 2012 draft will need somewhere to play and develop. With Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield, Pedan, Pokka, etc. all eligible for the AHL next season... it's a crowded house.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:46 PM
TJ MAC

If we have a goalie get hurt on the Island and guys get called up, there is a chance I could dress for Stockton in an emergency role..that's if the stars align and Stockton is on the road to, or in Vegas. I COULD BE A MEMBER OF THE ORGANIZARION FOR A DAY!

TJ MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:50 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
For the sake of argument players careers generally seemed to nose dive in the early 30s in the mid 80s so trading a 30 year old in 1986 would be like trading a 35 year old in todays game

In terms of the ECHL, should help us most with our goaltending and defense situation(I think we have an over abundance of guys in both positions, especially after next season).
Not disputing your point and maybe it was a true consideration, but the Islanders were selling off the pieces to their dynasty at that point. Pickett took the cable money and ran off to Florida, putting the team on low budget auto pilot... a sad time.. hindsight is 20/20 but as it turns out Tonelli had some more gas in the tank and what they got wasn't worth it... fwiw, I think he should have been added to the Islander HOF before Morrow and Flats (along with LaFontaine)..

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:50 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmesa View Post
People keep mentioning that this is evidence of Wang spending (a little bit of) money. Is that true though?

I have no idea how these things work, but I always assumed that in anything past the AHL, these "affiliations" didnt really mean much.
They add to the overall valuation of the franchise by way of relationships and agreements. Wang is not really spending more $ per se, rather he is investing in his 'investment' PRIOR to going to Barclay's aka he's buying low now.

The Stockton arena is nice. The town is an interesting place. If you missed the housing boom and all its mess, then head to Stockton for a view...

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:19 PM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Not disputing your point and maybe it was a true consideration, but the Islanders were selling off the pieces to their dynasty at that point. Pickett took the cable money and ran off to Florida, putting the team on low budget auto pilot... a sad time.. hindsight is 20/20 but as it turns out Tonelli had some more gas in the tank and what they got wasn't worth it... fwiw, I think he should have been added to the Islander HOF before Morrow and Flats (along with LaFontaine)..
Tonelli was a cancer in the locker room after the losing started. They would have taken a bag of pucks not to hear him at that point.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM
25yearfan

Ironically, Stockton acquired ex NYI prospect Corey Trivino from Florida Everblades at end of ECHL season. Kinda doubt we see him work his way up the ranks to BPT/NYI, after his history at BU but strange....

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/...ey-trivino-to/

25yearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 08:28 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I might have to pick up a jersey. There's emblem is a mean looking viking guy.
i like the logo, but the color scheme and jersey design aint all that.
watch them do something goofy like replacing the vikings helmet with a fishermans hat.........or, god forbid, something even worse........

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:33 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25yearfan View Post
Ironically, Stockton acquired ex NYI prospect Corey Trivino from Florida Everblades at end of ECHL season. Kinda doubt we see him work his way up the ranks to BPT/NYI, after his history at BU but strange....

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/...ey-trivino-to/
Even odder...the Everblades used to be our ECHL affiliate. It's as if the Isles are helping Trivino get back on track without any direct connection.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Cacciaguida

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmesa View Post

They're starting to matter more as the league becomes more established. Once the CHL crumbles the ECHL will likely cap out at 30 unless the NHL expands.

I could see the SPHL taking the surviving CHL franchises (likely scraps left from the ECHL) and become the established single A hockey league. Once the ECHL stops growing, markets like Elmira, Danbury and Trenton will expand into the SPHL where it's more financially viable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
i like the logo, but the color scheme and jersey design aint all that.
watch them do something goofy like replacing the vikings helmet with a fishermans hat.........or, god forbid, something even worse........
well it's a minor league jersey after all.

Cacciaguida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Sparksrus3

I just looked up the logo. Man o man that could be the fishermans brother.

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:19 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacciaguida View Post
well it's a minor league jersey after all.
just because its a minor league team doesnt mean the have to do something stupid.

all minor league teams should learn from the topeka tarantulas!!

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote