HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Ranking the Worst General Managers in the NHL" SFY #5. Feaster #1!

Old
08-08-2013, 10:57 AM
ultra63

vCash: 500
"Ranking the Worst General Managers in the NHL" SFY #5. Feaster #1!

"Steve Yzerman was an amazing player, but thus far he has been a terrible general manager. You can pick from a number of decisions he has made, but they all come back with the same result.

Whether you use the premature firing of Guy Boucher, the signing of Valtteri Filppula or the trade for Ben Bishop; Yzerman is on the hot seat.

If the Lightning don't make the playoffs this season, it is fair to say that he could be looking for a new job.
"
from the BR of course
http://m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-mail/messag...tl=US&.lang=en

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:02 AM
jg39
SFY is great

vCash: 517
Link doesn't work...

But if the author is criticizing a player who's played as many games for the Lightning as I have, and a trade for a player who got a 45-save shutout in his first game with the team, I'm not sure it's worth a read.

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:04 AM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Terrible reasoning. The Flyers are a prime example why you don't fix your problems short-term via FA signings etc. Let's talk again in a couple of years. The Lightning's prospect pool went from one of the worst to one of the best - if not the best in the league under Yzerman. Our AHL affiliate has appeared in two out of the last two Calder Cup finals, won one of them and set a record in pro hockey winning 28 consecutive games.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Terrible reasoning. The Flyers are a prime example why you don't fix your problems short-term via FA signings etc. Let's talk again in a couple of years. The Lightning's prospect pool went from one of the worst to one of the best - if not the best in the league under Yzerman. Our AHL affiliate has appeared in two out of the last two Calder Cup finals, won one of them and set a record in pro hockey winning 28 consecutive games.
Agreed. And Boucher was fired right on time, for the record. Yzerman's job seems safe for a few seasons, but we need some NHL success soon.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:08 PM
ArmchairGoalie

Nice to see how they totally ignored the fact that he rebuilt our minor league system to be tops in the league.

Yep, don't let facts interfer with the "hater-aid".

ArmchairGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Waiting to fire Boucher would have just been a waste of time and could have potentially cost us Cooper, that's a terrible reason to bash Yzerman. Let's wait for Filppula to play one game first before we call it a bad decision. Bishop we'll see. No mention of completely rebuilding our prospects and drafts.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:25 PM
BoltSTH

If he left to become GM of Detroit he would suddenly be the best GM in any pro sport.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:26 PM
MattM92

Just another example of ignorant "fans" or "analysts" not actually doing any sort of research or fact checking before writing a piece. You would think people would be more careful with what they put on the internet since their stupidity can now be seen by the entire world.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:58 PM
DangleDoppler

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...the-nhl/page/5

Hopefully this link works

DangleDoppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Written by a college student that is a huge Rangers fan. This is why we don't use bleacher report as a credible source. No background, poor writing, and on top of that, no Glen Sather.

Of course.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 04:59 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

I tend to believe everything that is written on BR, but this could be the last straw...

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
Complete garbage article. Not worth the read.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 06:02 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I tend to believe everything that is written on BR, but this could be the last straw...
Bleecher seems to me have 6-8 good writers and than just pure terrible writers whom I cannot believe are not bloggers and could be being paid?

When someone puts ohlund starting on a d line for us etc.. is just amazing and yes someone did that last week on bleecher.

This article as everyone has said is trash is like someone took that girls article and cut some things out from last week whom had no clue whatsoever. Is almost same article to me from what I remember.

robertguess2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Bleecher seems to me have 6-8 good writers and than just pure terrible writers whom I cannot believe are not bloggers and could be being paid?

When someone puts ohlund starting on a d line for us etc.. is just amazing and yes someone did that last week on bleecher.

This article as everyone has said is trash is like someone took that girls article and cut some things out from last week whom had no clue whatsoever. Is almost same article to me from what I remember.
Nobody on BR gets paid.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 06:35 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
Nobody on BR gets paid.
wasnt sure or not how was set up

hate the set up of read this page than goto next page to look at rest of story so stay off it as often as possible lol

Last edited by robertguess2013: 08-09-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old
08-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
As everyone mentions, what SFY has done with our prospect pool is amazing and a true achievement at the same time I am not convinced by his trading skills, so we will see how it all pans out.

08-09-2013, 06:57 AM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
As everyone mentions, what SFY has done with our prospect pool is amazing and a true achievement at the same time I am not convinced by his trading skills, so we will see how it all pans out.
Everyone shoots stevie for trading skills. Do you guys realize where we really were when stevie took over? How bad everything honestly was.

I for one believe vinik and stevie saved hockey in Tampa bay just saying.

I think he has been handcuffed from the start when he took over. I honestly do not agree with everything he has done or not done. Yet we are still in Tampa which I questioned. We seem to be on verge of becoming a very good franchise for a number of years. That is pretty awesome to me

I think once we have a very solid core 3-5 years with players whom are producing his trading will look as good as him building up the prospect ranks.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

Eh, I don't have problems with his trading "skills". He got Brewer for next to nothing, as well as Vasilevskiy and Bishop for a good price. My "issue" is can he build a successful NHL team. I think he's on the right track, but sooner or later we need NHL success.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Eh, I don't have problems with his trading "skills". He got Brewer for next to nothing, as well as Vasilevskiy and Bishop for a good price. My "issue" is can he build a successful NHL team. I think he's on the right track, but sooner or later we need NHL success.
Let's not forget Simon Gagne for Matt Walker and a 4th.

Of course it was a one year deal, but still.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 02:57 PM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Let's not forget Simon Gagne for Matt Walker and a 4th.

Of course it was a one year deal, but still.

Too bad we couldnt keep that team cause of mess we had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
You mean lindback? Not vasi?

I am waiting and figure once we have our core established figure next year we probably have fire sale to make us a cup contender. Yes will keep some prospects but gonna lose others. Lot will change over this year and next.

Is still the question does he need to stick to detroits plan what they did to make his team's a cup contender? Took like 8 years and they traded away some very good players in that period.

We might have the pieces pretty much already to do the detroit thing of bringing 2 kids up every year adding 1-2 pieces in free agency etc..

We do need to add a couple d guys yet kids might surprise within 3 years also. Koekkoek sustr gudas korobov seergeev nesterov. They could all be ready within 3 years.

I dont know what our lineup will be. You start with stamkos and drouin valtteri whom else makes it doesnt make it comes through to fill out those top two lines is big question. Panik killorn think are safe bets kucherov makes me salivate lol. Yet have soo much talent johnson palat connolly namestinikov gusev devos pacquette hart richard erne.

So the question is on these guys whom steps up which are elite great good?

detroit traded guys like mike knuble keith primeau jason york mike sillinger dallas drake yves racine johan garpenlov adam graves randy mckay steve chiasson shawn burr doug houda

wound up getting guys like coffey whom were traded for shanahan mike vernon getting ozzy back among others some great moves some terrible moves.

What is our weakness? Is a work in progress. I hope we are good within 3 years and knowing how and what works for our team and how what we actually look like and work wise as a team.

Old
08-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

Vasilevskiy's pick was gotten by trade with Colorado and Detroit. Still not in love with the Lindback trade, as in I wouldn't chalk it up as a win necessarily, even though it wasn't a huge overpayment.

Old
08-09-2013, 03:28 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
AHL success is great and all....but it doesn't necessarily transfer over the the NHL level. Take a look at Jason Krog, you'd think he'd be at a minimum a top-six forward.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 04:14 PM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
AHL success is great and all....but it doesn't necessarily transfer over the the NHL level. Take a look at Jason Krog, you'd think he'd be at a minimum a top-six forward.
bad example is case and point could say he was late bloomer and never got a decent shot. For st louis or atlanta or whomever owns the teams he played not to give him a look when putting up those years is kinda a travesty but is nhl. For him not making legit teams rangers vancouver etc..? He did win hobey baker too but he only got two years in nhl.

You got to ask how much time did he get? He is not a huge center or ideal size so did he get his shot truly? He is not the guy you want on grind line etc.. Who did anaheim have ahead of him skill wise? Also have said this before. Some teams and organizations are better at developing players than others. This guy peaked at 32 basically do you give your other players a shot or him? He had bad luck in all of this cause after a stanley cup run was lockout and never got another chance. But a late bloomer hardly ever gets a second shot.

Old
08-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I think the jury is still out whether he is a good GM or not but he deserves to be higher than 5. He's done more with this franchise is the few years he's been here than some of the GMs out there combined. Now just because he has totally rebuilt the farm system and prospect pool so well doesn't mean anything. We still gotta see these guys come up and do a great job in the nhl too. Means more wins by the team overall too. With that said he deserves more time to see these kids develop and finish what he has started. I think Vinik will et him do that too unless there is an epic collapse in the near future. Which I doubt.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
True but when your prospects have astonishing success at the AHL level it certainly gives us hope. People need to remember that the Lightning's main affiliate had never made the playoffs before Yzerman was hired. He took a team with no depth at the NHL, AHL or prospects and turned them into a team that went to back to back Calder Cup Finals and own the longest winning streak in professional hockey history all while relying on true prospects and not AHL lifers like Krog for example. Will it transfer to the NHL nobody knows yet but when you have that much success you wait and see.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote