HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

2013 Minnesota #6 Prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the sixth-best Wild prospect?
Brett Bulmer 3 3.80%
Raphael Bussieres 1 1.27%
Tyler Cuma 2 2.53%
John Draeger 0 0%
Kurtis Gabriel 0 0%
Tyler Graovac 0 0%
Johan Gustafsson 11 13.92%
Erik Haula 15 18.99%
Darcy Kuemper 24 30.38%
Dylan Labbe 0 0%
Mario Lucia 6 7.59%
Gustav Olofsson 2 2.53%
Zack Phillips 14 17.72%
Nick Seeler 0 0%
Other (please explain) 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2013, 11:23 AM
  #26
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,132
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'll be curious to see his development, but it's not a great sign when you really struggle at the next level. Like Granlund did.
I disagree. Many players struggle initially when they make the jump (see Steven Stamkos). If the struggles continue into this season, then it's not a good sign, IMO.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 12:07 PM
  #27
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
And that reason is injuries and MS.
Couldn't have anything to do with his .934 SV % in the AHL or completely outperforming Hackett.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 12:15 PM
  #28
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,785
vCash: 500
It's tempting to look at Phillips' struggles in the AHL and a guy like Haula's performance in the NCAA, outscoring the likes of Bjugstad, which are not accomplishments to be taken lightly, and put Haula ahead. But the NCAA is not on par with the AHL, probably not close.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 12:44 PM
  #29
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,132
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
It's tempting to look at Phillips' struggles in the AHL and a guy like Haula's performance in the NCAA, outscoring the likes of Bjugstad, which are not accomplishments to be taken lightly, and put Haula ahead. But the NCAA is not on par with the AHL, probably not close.
I agree. I would say that the NCAA is better than the CHL, but a step below the AHL.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:25 PM
  #30
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
Not an easy choice, but I went with Kuemper. Proven himself at every level so far.

I'm surprised that Phillips is getting this much consideration. He's done little but disappoint since drafted. Charlie Coyle saved his season in the Q. And last year he was completely overmatched in the AHL. And it wasn't because he was still constructing the toolbox. He found out that he doesn't even have the tools. I can't put him in the top-10.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:44 PM
  #31
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,234
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Not an easy choice, but I went with Kuemper. Proven himself at every level so far.
Every level? Kuemper certainly hasn't proved himself in the NHL yet.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:51 PM
  #32
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Not an easy choice, but I went with Kuemper. Proven himself at every level so far.

I'm surprised that Phillips is getting this much consideration. He's done little but disappoint since drafted. Charlie Coyle saved his season in the Q. And last year he was completely overmatched in the AHL. And it wasn't because he was still constructing the toolbox. He found out that he doesn't even have the tools. I can't put him in the top-10.
A laughable opinion stated like a fact.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 02:06 PM
  #33
CheddarSnipes
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
Every level? Kuemper certainly hasn't proved himself in the NHL yet.
He wouldn't be a prospect then, would he?

CheddarSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 02:16 PM
  #34
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,227
vCash: 50
how did charlie coyle save Phillips season?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
  #35
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
Every level? Kuemper certainly hasn't proved himself in the NHL yet.
he hasn't really had a chance at the NHL yet, last year he was the emergency body to have on the bench. But up to NHL he has done very well at every level he's had a chance to actually play and not be the warm body.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
  #36
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,509
vCash: 500
I didn't say Phillips was doomed, I said it's not a good sign that he struggled as much as he did. It is a good sign that he adjusted late in the season though.

His slow speed is not going to do him any favors. If he can't adjust this year, then I think he's toast. Same goes for Granlund.

You can't be 22, 23, 24 and trying to figure out the AHL. That doesn't translate to success at the NHL level.

Are there exceptions? Of course, there are exceptions to every friggin thing ever. Gordie Howe played in the NHL in his 50's, but I'm not going to use that as an argument that anybody else would play into their 50's.

That's the difference between probably and possibility. It's possible that Phillips goes on to break every one of Gretzky's records. Doesn't mean it's probable.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 04:09 PM
  #37
lacrosseguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Not an easy choice, but I went with Kuemper. Proven himself at every level so far.

I'm surprised that Phillips is getting this much consideration. He's done little but disappoint since drafted. Charlie Coyle saved his season in the Q. And last year he was completely overmatched in the AHL. And it wasn't because he was still constructing the toolbox. He found out that he doesn't even have the tools. I can't put him in the top-10.
To say Coyle saved his season is nothing short of just plain wrong--clearly you havent done your homework. Before Coyle got there Phillips scored MUCH more than after |Charlie got there. In fact they only played together a few gamestogether, Phillips played with Jurco and |Galiev, while Charlie played with Huberdeau and Gauthier.

So yeah, your comment is incorrect.
PS. Phillips was also voted MVP on that team with Charlie, Huberdeau, Beaulieau and Jurco playing, so as Flahr suggested on draft day and 2 weeks ago, he is a 3 year project, not unlike alot of guys.

Funny how things play out. When Charlie left BU, he had a total of 3 goals at Xmas and in alot of circles was being ripped. Always liked the kid saw him play in prep. The QMJHL did alot for him.

Hey, SOHockey, your the same poster that ripped Dumba and his skating afet an icetime--while about 3 hours after your post Zack Parise was quoted complimenting his skating and his potential.

Nuff said, patience with our young guys is the key !

lacrosseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 04:35 PM
  #38
Vashanesh
My best outfit
 
Vashanesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 2,152
vCash: 500
I still say Phillips has a chance to become Pavelski-esque for us.

Same complaints, skating primarily. Pavelski just played college instead of juniors. Admittedly, Pavelski did better in the AHL (with a smaller sample size), but still.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 05:10 PM
  #39
djgriff
Registered User
 
djgriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Admittedly, Pavelski did better in the AHL (with a smaller sample size), but still.
Pavelski was also 22 when he entered the AHL. Phillips was 19. I agree, give the kid some time and he could turn out to be a Pavelski type of player.

djgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 05:24 PM
  #40
lacrosseguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Kids need time.

Take a kid like Nick Bjustad who was a 2010 drafted kid(year ahead of |Phillips) and had the opportunity to play at a high level meaning US college. Enters pro, has 1 point in 11 games and is minus 8.

There is zero chance Im throwing this kid under the bus. I think he is going to be a helluva player, loads and loads of potential. Just takes a little time and I can guarantee you Florida knows that.

lacrosseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 05:25 PM
  #41
Vashanesh
My best outfit
 
Vashanesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 2,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgriff View Post
Pavelski was also 22 when he entered the AHL. Phillips was 19. I agree, give the kid some time and he could turn out to be a Pavelski type of player.
Yup. Patience can pay off in the right circumstances, and I think Phillips is one of them. It's about time we're in a position to be patient with some of our prospects that just plain shouldn't be ready.

I want Coyle, Granlund, Nino and Zucker to all get a real chance this year. Top-6 linemates and PP time. If they can't get that, I don't want them in the NHL.

I would prefer if the rest of our prospects stay in the minors. With the possible exception of Bulmer if he regains his form and Dumba if he just plain blows the coaching staff out of the water -- but he's on a short rope if he plays any NHL time this year, they shouldn't hesitate to send him back to the minors if he's not ready.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 08:13 PM
  #42
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party
 
Randy BoBandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
What is this Kuemper stuff?

Phillips our first rounder the other year has way more potential.

Kuemper doesn't look like a number one to me.

Phillips
Haula
Lucia
Bulmer
Gustafsson
Kuemper
Bussieres
Olofsson
Graovac

Is probably how I would do it. I just don't value goalies as much as others. They are a crap shoot.

I think Phillips has 2nd line center potential but is damn far off. Lucia has top 6 scorer potential but is also a long ways away. Haula from what we have heard and from where he has played seems close, but is he really top 6 potential i don't know. Bulmer is close to falling way down but I will give him another year to try and stay healthy, he is still young.


Last edited by Randy BoBandy: 08-08-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 09:47 PM
  #43
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,175
vCash: 50
I have those 3 flipped myself..

Lucia
Haula
Phillips

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:38 PM
  #44
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
Every level? Kuemper certainly hasn't proved himself in the NHL yet.
Context, Billy, context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
A laughable opinion stated like a fact.
Then refute it if it's so laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarSnipes View Post
He wouldn't be a prospect then, would he?
Thank you for getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
how did charlie coyle save Phillips season?
Because it saved his season as far as the stats go. His playoff performance kept his stock high. That and having a stacked team doesn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy View Post
To say Coyle saved his season is nothing short of just plain wrong--clearly you havent done your homework. Before Coyle got there Phillips scored MUCH more than after |Charlie got there. In fact they only played together a few gamestogether, Phillips played with Jurco and |Galiev, while Charlie played with Huberdeau and Gauthier.
Without Phillips' crazy playoff performance, he'd have nothing to impress anyone since being drafted. That performance was heavily influenced by his common playoff linemate--Coyle. Of course they didn't play every minute together, but the addition helped the entire team produce more.

But move on past the Q. Phillips was overmatched in the AHL. It was painful to watch him try so hard, but he has no time or space to do anything because he doesn't have the skills to make time and space. No way he should be ranked higher than a guy like Bussieres, a second rounder who quietly had a good after-draft season.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 12:08 AM
  #45
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,756
vCash: 16145
Kuemper AINEC

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 04:57 AM
  #46
lacrosseguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
For State of Hockey:

AGAIN, nothing wrong with questioning anybodys potential--no biggie, your right, fill your boots.

But cant sit here and let you state what you consider facts that are clearly inaccurate.

Phillips:

Pre -Coyle: 35 games-55 pts..PPG rate of 1.57
After- Coylle: 36 games-25 pts..PPG rate of .69

Its not even close.

MVP on that team with some great players, so don't say he has done nothing since being drafted. Again, go ahead speculate whatever you want but at least get the tangible facts straight.

But again, your the guy that rips on Dumba too, nuff said.

PM me if you like so the thread can move forward with some positive energy, Id be happy to engage you with a response. Thanks !

lacrosseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:02 AM
  #47
BagHead
Registered User
 
BagHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy View Post
For State of Hockey:
Phillips:

Pre -Coyle: 35 games-55 pts..PPG rate of 1.57
After- Coylle: 36 games-25 pts..PPG rate of .69

Its not even close.

MVP on that team with some great players, so don't say he has done nothing since being drafted. Again, go ahead speculate whatever you want but at least get the tangible facts straight.
This is true, but keep in mind a huge chunk of those 55 games was also without Huberdeau on the team. It proved that Phillips could carry his team in the absence of their best player, but it also proved that to put up those numbers he needed 1st line minutes. We saw more of this in the AHL, in my opinion. Bottom six made him a little better defensively, but top 6 is what he needed to put up points, which only makes sense, of course: the more ice time given, the more opportunity for offense.

Still, the point you make rings true. Nobody saved Phillips season in St. John. If anything, their arrivals stalled-out his season there. I'm encouraged by his being able to run well in a top 6 role in Houston. Hopefully he does more of the same in Iowa.

I voted Haula for this, but it was a tossup between Haula, Phillips, Kuemper and Gus. Guess this means you know who my next 3 are, at very least.

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:25 AM
  #48
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Then refute it if it's so laughable.
20 years old.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:48 AM
  #49
lacrosseguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Bottom line whether it be Gus, Kuemper, Haula, Phillips or Bulmer as our 6th guy--these are all guys with good upside IMO !

lacrosseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 11:02 AM
  #50
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 50
It still makes me so happy that we have such a list of prospects to ***** about which one is better than the other, that with the fact that all these guys at least have the potential to be decent NHLers.

A few years ago, was so depressing.

I also think Bussieres should get a little more love. I don't think this kid is better than Phillips or Keumper, yet at least, but he's my dark horse of our prospects to surprise. He works his ass off constantly, he's gritty and fearless, and he's got some real skill -kids got some pretty good hands and a decent shot, plus, he can skate well enough.

We have a solid top 10 of prospects

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.