HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread V: Needs to End Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Emptyvoid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
You are selling Derek short and Bergeron is not the best two way center in the league Datsyuk is.

Step will not likely be as good as PB on draws ever. However, he is extremely competitive, a natural leader and he has great vision on the ice and is a great distributor of the puck (better than Bergeron if I may be so bold as to suggest). Time will tell how good he becomes, but to create a ceiling for him at 23 is not smart.
This hasn't happened yet. Stepan was amazing last year, one of the most consistent regular seasons we've seen from a Ranger in a long while. Didn't have big nights, but had a single point in a lot of games.

He still hasn't reached the level of playmaking that he was touted for in college, he still hasn't been a consistent night-in night-out playmaker. He showed last year though that he's right there, ready to make the jump. Some of the passes and plays he made last year showed he's ready for the next step.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Ola

The over the top trashing of MDZ definitely orginates from a sickness this fanbase got during the post-cup years. More or less.

People use alot of terms like braindead and mental lapses and stuff about MDZ, I don't get it. Defensemen makes misstakes with the puck. If you play with small marginals, you will make more misstakes. It comes with the territory! Sure, we as fans can complain on misstakes. But its like -- forwards -- get a free pass completely, because some fans just don't spot the misstakes they make, which puts our D's in their eyes in a much worse light.

Does MDZ make more or even more costly misstakes than Derek Stepan, Ryan Callahan, Carl Hagelin, Rich Nash and co? Why is it worse if Stepan on a 2 on 1 fails to pass the puck from E to W than if MDZ gives the puck away and causes a 2 on 1? Seriously? In one situation you give away a 2 on 1, and in the other you give up one? If Ryan Callahan gets to fire away on a goalie moving from post to post, he should put it home. If he doesn't put it home, that is a "misstake" too. A misstake like that warrants a "darn" in a GDT, a give away warrants 1000's of posts and terms like brain dead. Callahan is just as braindead for not putting that one-timer up top.

-In 19 of 20 offensive situations, everything achived is a bonus.

-In 99 of 100 defensive situations, everything achived is a must.

And this has especially annoyed me during the Torts era, when everything, and I litterary mean almost everything, we achived offensively where after we forced D's on the other side of the ice to caugh up pucks. All the while every single play when our D's caughed up a puck, it was seen as complete mindboggling misstake and some just don't seem to be able to fantom how a D can be such horrible player that he caugh up the puck after being pressured on the forecheck. Its ridiculous.

Just go to nhl.com and look at random goals. How many goals in hockey is scored wtihin 4-5 sec after the team scoring the goal winning the puck? And in 3 of 4 plays, its the D's caughing up the puck. This league would be extemely low scoring if D's never caughed up the puck. I don't at all think MDZ has brain lapses and what not. Letang, Doughty, Dan Boyle, Kimmo Timmonen, Erik Karlsson and co all make misstakes with the puck. For MDZ, its something he gotta work on. For sure. But is it worse for MDZ to caugh up the puck as he does, than for say Ryan Callahan to not be able to pass the puck? It certainly wouldn't hurt if Callahan worked some on his play making ability either. Nobody would ever dream of tearing Callahan apart because he isn't a good play maker. But its the one big weakness he have for sure. If he didn't have it, if he was a strong playmaker, he would score closer to 80 pts per year. That is what, 15-20 goals per year we loose from him not being a good playmaker. Does MDZ cause 15-20 goals with giveaways every year? Does he even cause 5 goals per year? 3 goals?

I don't say that our forwards should be trashed more, or that our D's should be trashed less. Its a free world. But I don't at all get the large numbers of fans -- especially watching alot of live games at MSG -- who focus solely on D's ability to never make a misstake over every other ability that our hockey team has on the ice.

Old
08-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Del Zotto is a bigger whipping boy than Boyle on here... yet the same people will seem to defend Kreider to death, despite Del Zotto proving a hell of a lot more.. weird.
Amen dude. Kreider can do no wrong. DZ can do no right.

08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Despite being one draft class apart, I feel like Del Zotto is yesterday's news because of the large amount of games hes played. If Kreider struggles again this season, you'll see things start to change.

Old
08-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Despite being one draft class apart, I feel like Del Zotto is yesterday's news because of the large amount of games hes played. If Kreider struggles again this season, you'll see things start to change.
Seems like he's all athleticism and very little IQ.

Old
08-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 50
If by the time Kreider and/or Miller get to 250 NHL games and are making the same high risk low percentage plays they did in their NHL debut seasons, I think any criticism they get would be warranted.

Old
08-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

It's warranted when they fail to improve or learn from mistakes.

Old
08-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Seems like he's all athleticism and very little IQ.
Thats been the book on Kreider since he was drafted.

Hockey IQ can be taught. His physical attributes cannot. What bothered me most about last season was you rarely saw even those physical attributes being put to good use.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Thats been the book on Kreider since he was drafted.

Hockey IQ can be taught. His physical attributes cannot. What bothered me most about last season was you rarely saw even those physical attributes being put to good use.
Combination of the lack of IQ And horrible situations to play in. I agree that IQ can be taught, but only to such an extent.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
regardless of injuries I think that would have been the top line out of the gate.

in trying to bring out the most in a player offensively, you need to put that player with offensive players.

Kreider is not going to show anyone anything playing with offensive slugs like Boyle and Dorsett

Kreider is a finisher and needs to be with players that can get him the puck. He's not a distributor and asking him to show offensive ability from a 3rd/4th line role is asking to see a player struggle with his responsibilities.

It's not a matter of Kreider being the best option for that spot, it's about drawing out of Kreider what the package suggests he is capable of delivering.

I was hoping that that would have happened playing with Richards last year but Brad was to busy chasing that NY tail that his legs were shot and he was a shell of a player.
I agree, but I thought AV might keep the Hagelin-Stepan-Nash line together since it was beastly last season for us. Kreider could have played with Richards/Brassard and Callahan. As a matter of fact, if Richards returns to himself, then I think the best guy for Kreider to play with is him.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:04 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

I'd hardly say Kreider can do no wrong around here. I've seen plenty of criticism thrown his way. Maybe not as much as Del Zotto or Boyle but plenty of it

Old
08-09-2013, 12:26 PM
aufheben
Jung at heart

Of course all defensemen make mistakes, not letting them get to you is the crucial part. What happens when McDonagh makes a mistake?

Old
08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The over the top trashing of MDZ definitely orginates from a sickness this fanbase got during the post-cup years. More or less.

People use alot of terms like braindead and mental lapses and stuff about MDZ, I don't get it. Defensemen makes misstakes with the puck. If you play with small marginals, you will make more misstakes. It comes with the territory! Sure, we as fans can complain on misstakes. But its like -- forwards -- get a free pass completely, because some fans just don't spot the misstakes they make, which puts our D's in their eyes in a much worse light.

Does MDZ make more or even more costly misstakes than Derek Stepan, Ryan Callahan, Carl Hagelin, Rich Nash and co? Why is it worse if Stepan on a 2 on 1 fails to pass the puck from E to W than if MDZ gives the puck away and causes a 2 on 1? Seriously? In one situation you give away a 2 on 1, and in the other you give up one? If Ryan Callahan gets to fire away on a goalie moving from post to post, he should put it home. If he doesn't put it home, that is a "misstake" too. A misstake like that warrants a "darn" in a GDT, a give away warrants 1000's of posts and terms like brain dead. Callahan is just as braindead for not putting that one-timer up top.

-In 19 of 20 offensive situations, everything achived is a bonus.

-In 99 of 100 defensive situations, everything achived is a must.

And this has especially annoyed me during the Torts era, when everything, and I litterary mean almost everything, we achived offensively where after we forced D's on the other side of the ice to caugh up pucks. All the while every single play when our D's caughed up a puck, it was seen as complete mindboggling misstake and some just don't seem to be able to fantom how a D can be such horrible player that he caugh up the puck after being pressured on the forecheck. Its ridiculous.

Just go to nhl.com and look at random goals. How many goals in hockey is scored wtihin 4-5 sec after the team scoring the goal winning the puck? And in 3 of 4 plays, its the D's caughing up the puck. This league would be extemely low scoring if D's never caughed up the puck. I don't at all think MDZ has brain lapses and what not. Letang, Doughty, Dan Boyle, Kimmo Timmonen, Erik Karlsson and co all make misstakes with the puck. For MDZ, its something he gotta work on. For sure. But is it worse for MDZ to caugh up the puck as he does, than for say Ryan Callahan to not be able to pass the puck? It certainly wouldn't hurt if Callahan worked some on his play making ability either. Nobody would ever dream of tearing Callahan apart because he isn't a good play maker. But its the one big weakness he have for sure. If he didn't have it, if he was a strong playmaker, he would score closer to 80 pts per year. That is what, 15-20 goals per year we loose from him not being a good playmaker. Does MDZ cause 15-20 goals with giveaways every year? Does he even cause 5 goals per year? 3 goals?

I don't say that our forwards should be trashed more, or that our D's should be trashed less. Its a free world. But I don't at all get the large numbers of fans -- especially watching alot of live games at MSG -- who focus solely on D's ability to never make a misstake over every other ability that our hockey team has on the ice.
I'm guessing Willy Huber and James Patrick would disagree with this statement. It's as old as time at the Garden.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Combination of the lack of IQ And horrible situations to play in. I agree that IQ can be taught, but only to such an extent.
"Horrible situations to play in" is no excuse for not moving your feet or looking generally disengaged.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Kreider largely gets a pass (at this point) because the regular season sample is so small. He has scored some big goals in limited playoff time which gives us hope that in a full season playing on a scoring line, he will relax and bury the bisquit on a regular basis. if he gets a full season and still looks lost, the criticism will ramp up. MDZ has had a few years to work through the kinks and there are still some which need attention. I see him get lazy after he turns the puck over and at the end of shifts. When he is confident and his energy level is high he is one of the better young D-men in the league. Let's hope he's feeling good about himself this year. if he does he will break out under AV and justify his draft position.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

As it was mention before, let's see what Kreider does with more playing time and NHL games under his belt. Del Zotto has played a lot of games and has had prominent minutes at the NHL level.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
"Horrible situations to play in" is no excuse for not moving your feet or looking generally disengaged.
No it isn't. I should've been more precise on what I was talking about having to do with horrible situations. By that I meant he seemed to have been on with some less fitting mates. But yeah. He really didn't seem to show much of his physicality. But it did show in the playoffs some.

On top of the IQ thing, I think he needs to learn to move and use his feet/assert himself in at this level. Not college anymore.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
As it was mention before, let's see what Kreider does with more playing time and NHL games under his belt. Del Zotto has played a lot of games and has had prominent minutes at the NHL level.
Yea, but the problem I have with that is it lets too many people continue to project Kreider in any light they see fit.

If the argument is "Well, Del Zotto has played 250 NHL games, so we know what he is," you also have to acknowledge the fact that Del Zotto held down an NHL job much earlier than Kreider did. To me, thats more commendable than anything.

Old
08-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Off Sides

I at least am not trying to say Del Zotto is terribad or anything like that.

It's the low percentage plays he still makes that I do not understand.

A 100 foot stretch pass up the middle of the ice is a low percentage play. Picking the opposite corner high when shooting is a low percentage play, and not only that, it traps half the team when it goes out of the zone.

If a forward was out there making drop passes, or making turnovers at either the blue line or trying to beat 4 defenders in the neutral zone he'd be getting criticized as well. Miller falls into this category in my opinion, if he is still around and doing it after 250 NHL games, I'd expect similar things to be said about him. Richards was doing these things last season and it was noticed. Nylander used to do it but he was good at it so it was forgiven since Jagr scored 100 goals or whatever.

Being creative in certain areas of the ice is one thing, attempting to be creative with low percentage plays in certain areas of the ice where inherently if things go wrong it's like handing quality scoring chances to the other team is different.

Is this where I say nice things about Del Zotto so I do not get piled on? He is relatively tough and can sometimes be good defensively. When he gets on his horse instead of throwing the puck up ice, he can actually be a good puck transporter. When he takes charge of the puck and hits the net with his shot, it improves the Rangers chances of generating offense.

Old
08-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Yea, but the problem I have with that is it lets too many people continue to project Kreider in any light they see fit.

If the argument is "Well, Del Zotto has played 250 NHL games, so we know what he is," you also have to acknowledge the fact that Del Zotto held down an NHL job much earlier than Kreider did. To me, thats more commendable than anything.
Very true.

Del Zotto is very frustrating to watch. But it must be understood that he only 22 and has more time to develop. The same with Kreider. However, Kreider hasn't played that much at the NHL level, so people project what he could be. Which is fine because you can see the potential.

People cement Del Zotto as what they see because he has been in the league for a little while now. It's just that they forget how young he is any many players are just coming into the league at this point.

08-09-2013, 02:05 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
DZ is usually okay in his own end but he isn't great. Sucked in the playoffs. He's a 40 point scorer once and a high 30 point scorer his rookie year. Last year would have pro-rated to about high 30's. Where he needs to get is 50+--right now he's looking an awful lot like Matt Carle--he needs to stop that. DZ improves his stats that much and I think the Rangers pwp should improve too. This will also be his contract year--he should have that much extra incentive. Shouldn't get a big raise if he doesn't really improve his offensive numbers. Rangers want him to be their pwp guy--won't need to talk about trading for one all the time if he can start playing like one.

Comment on Kreider--he tends to get off to slow starts. He did it in college and in his rookie pro season. Tortorella didn't seem to have the patience for that. It would help Chris if he got out of the blocks a little faster this time. Hopefully his game will begin to diversify--maybe work him into occasional pk'ing.
Good point, but I think w/Torts gone all signs are good to go with no distractions or hurdles.

Old
08-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Raymones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post

A 100 foot stretch pass up the middle of the ice is a low percentage play. Picking the opposite corner high when shooting is a low percentage play, and not only that, it traps half the team when it goes out of the zone.

If a forward was out there making drop passes, or making turnovers at either the blue line or trying to beat 4 defenders in the neutral zone he'd be getting criticized as well. Miller falls into this category in my opinion, if he is still around and doing it after 250 NHL games, I'd expect similar things to be said about him. Richards was doing these things last season and it was noticed. Nylander used to do it but he was good at it so it was forgiven since Jagr scored 100 goals or whatever.

Being creative in certain areas of the ice is one thing, attempting to be creative with low percentage plays in certain areas of the ice where inherently if things go wrong it's like handing quality scoring chances to the other team is different.

Is this where I say nice things about Del Zotto so I do not get piled on? He is relatively tough and can sometimes be good defensively. When he gets on his horse instead of throwing the puck up ice, he can actually be a good puck transporter. When he takes charge of the puck and hits the net with his shot, it improves the Rangers chances of generating offense.
Agreed, good post.

Old
08-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Dactyl

correct me if im wrong but dodnt torts say that he had to stop watching whale games during the lockout because he was developing negative opinions about certain players? if he did say that, its clear as day who he was talking about

Old
08-09-2013, 03:16 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

I don't like saying nonsensical things about the Torts/Kreider relationship, but it was pretty obvious there was a disconnect between coaching and management on what to do with him

Old
08-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post

But MDZ can hardly be labeled as a Michael Nylander on the blueline.

He just makes normal plays for a PMD.

He is more like Stepan on defense and in relation play with just as small marginals as Stepan. MDZ doesn't play with small marginals in relation to the avg PMD. It's probably more like the opposite.

You describe him trying to make a long pass and pick a corner when shooting. Is that really that bad lol? Compareable to a forward tryin to stickhandle through an entire team and drop passing the puck all over the place???

Closed Thread