HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne- Update 10/15/14: Signs 1 year deal with the Bruins.

Old
08-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Why anyone wants Laughton on the wing is beyond me. His skill set is exactly tailor made for center. Putting him on the wing is a waste of what he brings to the table. If he can't crack the third line spot (and don't even get me started on wasting him on the fourth line), then it's best that Laughton be sent back to junior, lead his OHL club to a long play off run, and play a ton of minutes against quality peers at the WJC.
So you don't want him on the team till Couturier is gone? That makes no sense. There's nothing wrong with him playing on the 4th line or even on the wing in his first full NHL season.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

I would be okay with 4th line C if he's truly capable of the heavy lifting that comes along with it.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Why anyone wants Laughton on the wing is beyond me. His skill set is exactly tailor made for center. Putting him on the wing is a waste of what he brings to the table. If he can't crack the third line spot (and don't even get me started on wasting him on the fourth line), then it's best that Laughton be sent back to junior, lead his OHL club to a long play off run, and play a ton of minutes against quality peers at the WJC.
Our top 3 centers are set in stone for the next few years. What are you going to do with the kid other than move him to LW? It's the only option other than trade him.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 02:50 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Our top 3 centers are set in stone for the next few years. What are you going to do with the kid other than move him to LW? It's the only option other than trade him.
Well...

(YEAR 1)
xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
Schenn - Lecavalier - xxxxx
xxxxx - Couturier - xxxxx
xxxxx - Hall - xxxxx

Laughton in OHL

(YEAR 2)
xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
xxxxx - Hall - xxxxx

Laughton in AHL

(YEAR 3)
xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
xxxxx - Laughton - xxxxx

(YEAR 4)
xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
xxxxx - Laughton - xxxxx

(YEAR 5)
xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
Schenn - Couturier - xxxxx
xxxxx - Laughton - xxxxx
xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx

Not that that's how we should do it, but that's the plotted path at this moment for Laughton should he not be moved to wing.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 02:56 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
So you don't want him on the team till Couturier is gone? That makes no sense. There's nothing wrong with him playing on the 4th line or even on the wing in his first full NHL season.
Who said anything about wanting Couturier gone or moving Laughton? If Laughton makes the team, then I seriously hope the Flyers do the following:

Lecavalier - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Couturier - Schenn
Hartnell - Laughton - Read
Talbot - Hall - Rinaldo

However, if the Flyers are going to go with Giroux - Lecavalier - Couturier down the middle, then no, Laughton shouldn't be playing on the fourth line and even worse, he shouldn't be playing on the wing. For anyone who's watched Laughton, his game is not that of a winger. You'd be wasting the skill set he brings to the table by putting him on the wing.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 03:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Well...

(YEAR 1)
xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
xxxxx - Hall - xxxxx

Laughton in OHL

(YEAR 2)
xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
xxxxx - Hall - xxxxx

Laughton in AHL

(YEAR 3)
xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
xxxxx - Laughton - xxxxx

(YEAR 4)
xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
xxxxx - Laughton - xxxxx

(YEAR 5)
xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
Schenn - Couturier - xxxxx
xxxxx - Laughton - xxxxx
xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx

Not that that's how we should do it, but that's the plotted path at this moment for Laughton should he not be moved to wing.
Exactly. And there is nothing wrong with that. Laughton would be 21 during his first full season. Just because you were a first round pick doesn't mean you have to play in the NHL immediately. At some point he'll be on ADK as well (I don't know what the eligibility rules are, I think this would be his last year in OHL then he'll go to AHL probably for the season before his first full NHL season). While he is in ADK he can be the first callup and get a cup of coffee in the NHL. Then let him play 4C, then 3C.

Everyone *****es and moans about rushing prospects, but now you want to change a guy's position to get him in the NHL at 19, when he has the potential to be a really good looking third line center? If Laughton is getting moved to wing, OK put him on the third line and see what happens, but I don't see the Flyers doing it. Roll with Gagne this year, and let Laughton develop more.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Who said anything about wanting Couturier gone or moving Laughton? If Laughton makes the team, then I seriously hope the Flyers do the following:

Talbot - Hall - Rinaldo

However, if the Flyers are going to go with Giroux - Lecavalier - Couturier down the middle, then no, Laughton shouldn't be playing on the fourth line and even worse, he shouldn't be playing on the wing. For anyone who's watched Laughton, his game is not that of a winger. You'd be wasting the skill set he brings to the table by putting him on the wing.
Vinny said he strongly prefers to play RW, if not at center. Voracek and Simmonds also play RW exclusively. So I don't see that working.

Anyway, It certainly sounds like they plan on Giroux - Lecavalier - Couturier down the middle. That's what Homer said at the press conference. Obviously things can change, but I highly doubt they plan on moving Vinny to wing for Laughton to not have his skill-set diluted.

Similar to Laughton, many people will argue that B. Schenn is more suited in the middle also. Just because he's better suited at center doesn't mean we are just going to bury the guy in the OHL or AHL. If he can contribute to the team at LW, better than any other candidate, he should be on the team. If he isn't, than so be it. Put him back in the OHL. Going off statements Homer made late last year, it certainly seems they plan on having Laughton on the team. Maybe things have changed because of the Vinny signing. We shall see.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Larry44

Quote:

Talbot - Hall - Rinaldo

Sorry but I have to disagree with this. It's just silly to pretend its such a sacrilege for Laughton to be deemed '3rd line centre or else' without so much as proving he's an NHL regular.

I've seen him play and, frankly, he's so fast and agile I often think of him as an Adam Henrique type who would look just as good on the wing as at C. No one is stopping him hitting or backchecking, just because he's at LW instead of C.

Brayden Schenn is a better C prospect than Laughton. If he can move to the wing to accommodate the glut of Cs, then Laughton can.

Vinnie may also get moved to the wing, although he's expressed a preference for RW, so flip Simmonds to LW.

Hartnell - Giroux - Lecavalier
Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek
Talbot - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Laughton - Hall

However they configure the forwards, I don't have a problem with Laughton starting at 4C, with Talbot moving up to 3LW. He'll get PK time.

Per this thread, what it all still amounts to is that if Laughton's a Flyer, there is no room/need for Gagne. I have no problem sending him back to the OHL if it's better for his development, since we don't really have room in our top 9 for him right now.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 05:23 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I find that Homer picks his words very carefully. He seemed to indicate that G,Vinny and Couts would be the centers. Of course its up to Lavvy, but clearly the two of them talk.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I find that Homer picks his words very carefully. He seemed to indicate that G,Vinny and Couts would be the centers. Of course its up to Lavvy, but clearly the two of them talk.
Agreed, that is the most likely scenario. Still I hope they look at all the options, especially splitting Giroux and Voracek up if it will give them two dynamite scoring lines.

Last year, Hartnell looked great with Schenn and Simmonds for example. I don't want to see them just pick the lines now and go with them no matter what.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
For anyone who's watched Laughton, his game is not that of a winger. You'd be wasting the skill set he brings to the table by putting him on the wing.
You're selling him short. Many, many players in the mold of Scott Laughton have played both Wing and C at various times in their career. Giroux did it on the Flyers as well. I have no doubt that Laughton could and would be successful playing wing at the NHL level for a period if asked.

As far as moving LeCavalier to a wing this season to allow Couturier to be your 2C. Silly. You don't move a 54% F/O guy to a wing in order to implant a 43% F/O at 2C and a complete unknown rookie at your 3C.

Couturier needs to demonstrate some improvement in the circle and in the offensive zone before he earns that spot. At that time, I'm all for Lecavalier playing with G on a wing because I believe the pair would be dynamic together.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 10:04 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
You're selling him short. Many, many players in the mold of Scott Laughton have played both Wing and C at various times in their career. Giroux did it on the Flyers as well. I have no doubt that Laughton could and would be successful playing wing at the NHL level for a period if asked.

As far as moving LeCavalier to a wing this season to allow Couturier to be your 2C. Silly. You don't move a 54% F/O guy to a wing in order to implant a 43% F/O at 2C and a complete unknown rookie at your 3C.

Couturier needs to demonstrate some improvement in the circle and in the offensive zone before he earns that spot. At that time, I'm all for Lecavalier playing with G on a wing because I believe the pair would be dynamic together.
I guess this pretty much reflects how the front office views this situation. The young guns will get every opportunity to prove themselves but they need to earn it. It's not about young and old but all about how to win together....

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Larry44

Trust Eklund to bring the thread back around to Gagne:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...3#.UghOy6w6CzI

Quote:
Gagne apparently has had exploratory talks with some other teams as a Plan B - with a return to LA being one possibility - but these are fallback options. Assuming he stays healthy (always a concern with Simon) he will have a job somewhere in the NHL on opening night.

The most likely scenario is that a one-year deal with Philly gets worked out shortly before the start of the season. Gagne may even attend camp as an unsigned player to demonstrate that commitment. However, nothing is set in stone and things can always change.

Old
08-11-2013, 11:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

We're still waiting on Meszaros...the "better" player than Gustafsson dude who still hasn't cleared almost halfway through August...

Old
08-11-2013, 11:32 PM
JGalt

Laughton is the only guy I would even think about giving the 3LW slot to over Gagne. Running a third line with one of Talbot/Rinaldo on it for large portions of the season would be a serious mistake. They just aren't cut out of that role and it limits the usefulness of the whole line when they're out there. I don't think McGinn is ready. However penciling Laughton into that spot feels like a stretch AND I think it would put unnecessary pressure on Couturier to carry an out of position rookie winger. I'd much rather have Couts free to focus on expanding his own game and Gagne is by far the best option for allowing him to that.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Talbot - Laughton/Hall - Rinaldo
Hall/Rosehill (Laughton to OHL)

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 11:33 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
Laughton is the only guy I would even think about giving the 3LW slot to over Gagne. Running a third line with one of Talbot/Rinaldo on it for large portions of the season would be a serious mistake. They just aren't cut out of that role and it limits the usefulness of the whole line when they're out there. I don't think McGinn is ready. However penciling Laughton into that spot feels like a stretch AND I think it would put unnecessary pressure on Couturier to carry an out of position rookie winger. I'd much rather have Couts free to focus on expanding his own game and Gagne is by far the best option for allowing him to that.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Talbot - Laughton/Hall - Rinaldo
Hall/Rosehill (Laughton to OHL)
I think McGinn has more offensive potential than people think. I could definitely see him slowly creeping toward Hartnell-lite if he gets the right opportunities.

Old
08-11-2013, 11:42 PM
JGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
I think McGinn has more offensive potential than people think. I could definitely see him slowly creeping toward Hartnell-lite if he gets the right opportunities.
I agree with you, but I can't imagine it happening on Couturier's wing where he has to take on massive defensive responsibilities. Let him learn the power forward game in the AHL.

Old
08-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:

Talbot - Hall - Rinaldo
So you're going to move a big, natural, experienced center who's good at faceoffs to his least preferred wing so we can have a 20 year old rookie as the 3rd line center?

Old
08-12-2013, 11:24 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

A return to LA.....um yeah......definitely an Eklundism.

Hightly doubt Sutter wants gagne back considering he hardly played him and is not his type of player.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
So you're going to move a big, natural, experienced center who's good at faceoffs to his least preferred wing so we can have a 20 year old rookie as the 3rd line center?
A 20 year old coming off a so-so sophomore season (at least in terms of development) who was very poor in the F/O circle.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:14 PM
paradoxium

Quote:

I don't see Gagne going back to LA, he didn't fit the Kings' system and Sutter didn't play him much.

paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
A 20 year old coming off a so-so sophomore season (at least in terms of development) who was very poor in the F/O circle.
20 was a typo. It should have been 19 since I was talking about his plan to have Laughton be the 3C. Couturier is obviously no longer a rookie.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:34 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1170
An update on Gagne from earlier today, status quo:

Quote:
If veteran left winger Simon Gagne is patient, he may return to the Flyers for the 2013-14 season.

The Flyers cannot offer the unrestricted free agent a contract because they do not have cap space at the moment, but general manager Paul Holmgren said he was “kicking around” inviting Gagne to the team’s camp next week on a tryout basis.

“But I’m sure he’s getting calls from other teams, too,” Holmgren said on Tuesday. “I have no gut feeling” as to what Gagne will do.

Gagne’s agent, Bob Sauve, was not available to comment.

The Flyers are about $1 million over the $64.3 million cap; they will gain $4.9 million of cap relief, however, when Chris Pronger is put on the long-term injured list when the season starts. That would give them more than enough room to sign Gagne, 33, who collected five goals and 11 points in 27 games after being acquired from Los Angeles last season.

If the Flyers re-sign Gagne, he figures to be on the third line, with center Sean Couturier and right winger Matt Read.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...tafGDQyv7PP.99

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:01 PM
JGalt

I still feel like Gagne resigning is a given as soon as the cap allows.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
I still feel like Gagne resigning is a given as soon as the cap allows.
agreed, in fact i'll be surprized if he doesnt get resigned and goes elsewere first.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote