HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 11/5 Buffalo @ Rangers - 5:00est

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2006, 08:13 AM
  #426
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
You thought Weekes was showboating? What made you think that? I'm not saying your wrong, personally I disagree, but I want to see your reasons.
well, the save was made with his glove up tight to his body, but then he raised his arm up really high and held it there like "look at this awesome save!!"

It was a good save, but the rest was a bit of showboating. Not that I mind it, it's pretty harmless and gives the fans a bit of a thrill

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 08:17 AM
  #427
bathgate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
You thought Weekes was showboating? What made you think that? I'm not saying your wrong, personally I disagree, but I want to see your reasons.
Weekes was moving laterally left to right. The shot deflected off Ozo going right to left.The puck was pretty much smothered right in his glove . He did not need to make the big circular movement. Nice reflex but hardly great. The shot should have been stopped. Obviously the announcer, from what I heard, is not a regular hockey announcer. However, assuming a "great save" it was more than offset by the two woeful goals given up. The third goal was incredibly brutal. Weekes should be given one in three games, if that much. His lapses in concentration are disconcerting

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 08:20 AM
  #428
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
OK thats all I was asking thanks to both of you for your responses

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:06 AM
  #429
Vodka Drunkenski
Registered User
 
Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Nice save but not as spectacular as some made it seem.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:10 AM
  #430
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
I thought Weekes...

was a bit off balance and wanted to make sure his glove, with the puck in it, didn't cross the goal line.

Levitate - I agree on the third goal. I was wondering what Tyutin was doing. Pommeville went behind him, the shot came and he was there for a rebound. Tyutin played up too high and should've covered his man and at least be in position to attempt him from not getting to the rebound.

The more I think of yesterday's game, the more upset I get and think that it wasn't such a great game. They came out flat. That could be expected after coming off a west coast swing, although they should've been well-rested. Then they gave up a 3-1 lead on home ice to lose the game to a team that had played the night before and was just hanging on from sheer exhaustion. They lost the game. They lost the game on home ice. They lost a game on home ice after a successful west coast swing. And they lost a game on home ice after a successful west coast swing while giving up a 3-1 lead. I can spin that into a good this morning - yesterday, maybe, but not this morning.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:22 AM
  #431
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
was a bit off balance and wanted to make sure his glove, with the puck in it, didn't cross the goal line.

Levitate - I agree on the third goal. I was wondering what Tyutin was doing. Pommeville went behind him, the shot came and he was there for a rebound. Tyutin played up too high and should've covered his man and at least be in position to attempt him from not getting to the rebound.

The more I think of yesterday's game, the more upset I get and think that it wasn't such a great game. They came out flat. That could be expected after coming off a west coast swing, although they should've been well-rested. Then they gave up a 3-1 lead on home ice to lose the game to a team that had played the night before and was just hanging on from sheer exhaustion. They lost the game. They lost the game on home ice. They lost a game on home ice after a successful west coast swing. And they lost a game on home ice after a successful west coast swing while giving up a 3-1 lead. I can spin that into a good this morning - yesterday, maybe, but not this morning.
Quite honestly in the first 10 minutes of the game I though they were going to get smoked. No shots in the first 12 minutes and Buffalo was pressing hard. They recovered well from that and than the PP started clicking as well. That third goal was brutal though. First off that kind of a shot a goalie like Weekes should be able to kick that into the corner. He has had problems with rebound control all three games that he has played recently. On many shots he was basically just letting the puck hit him and let the D clear out the rebounds. Toots should have played Pominville better and kept his body between Pominville and the net. Thats a brain fart right there. The combination of these two things led to that brutal goal and the downfall of the game. Soon as that goal was scored I had a bad feeling.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:36 AM
  #432
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
That's it UA...

a breakdown ultimately led to the Rangers losing a game, instead of winning. Any good done in the second (all goals being scored on the PP) was erased with that goal and they leave the building giving up three straight goals and a feeling of a loss. It's very disappointing, especially when you try to create home dominance and coming off three of four on the road.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:43 AM
  #433
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
a breakdown ultimately led to the Rangers losing a game, instead of winning. Any good done in the second (all goals being scored on the PP) was erased with that goal and they leave the building giving up three straight goals and a feeling of a loss. It's very disappointing, especially when you try to create home dominance and coming off three of four on the road.
ya it def. was aggravating. When they scored that 3rd goal it took all the wind out of the Rangers sails as well as out of most of the fans that were at the Garden and watching the game at home. I mean they still got a point and they are now tied with the Debbies for 1st in the Atlantic, but a win would have put them in sole possession of first in the Atlantic and there is no bigger confidence booster than beating the 3 best teams (arguably, besides Buffalo ofcoarse) in the league 3 games in a row. Lots of would of, could of, should ofs but even though the team got 5 of 6 possible points against 3 top teams in the league, that last game still showed the glaring holes in the teams D and goaltending (By goaltending I mean letting in that Weak goal a game)

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:46 AM
  #434
polako
Registered User
 
polako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 1,178
vCash: 500
I think the NYR lost their opportunity to put their grip on the game after the 3rd goal in the 2nd period. After that goal, they took three dumb penalties (Jagr, Hollweg and ??) that let Buffalo back in the game.

Really need to work on keeping the stick down. However, I'm happy the team responded the way it did after being a goal down.

Weekes did well on teh West Coast and hopefully the team will have both goalies in form soon.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:48 AM
  #435
Greg in MA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Weekes was moving laterally left to right. The shot deflected off Ozo going right to left.The puck was pretty much smothered right in his glove . He did not need to make the big circular movement. Nice reflex but hardly great. The shot should have been stopped. Obviously the announcer, from what I heard, is not a regular hockey announcer. However, assuming a "great save" it was more than offset by the two woeful goals given up. The third goal was incredibly brutal. Weekes should be given one in three games, if that much. His lapses in concentration are disconcerting
Watch the play again. Watch where his body ends up, the majority of it is behind the line. It was a very smart move to throw the glove around and up, as well as out, in order to prevent any doubt that the glove (with puck) had gone over the goal line. He ends up with the majority of his body in the goal, but it's quite clear that his glove is and has been outside of the goal.

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:00 AM
  #436
bathgate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in MA View Post
Watch the play again. Watch where his body ends up, the majority of it is behind the line. It was a very smart move to throw the glove around and up, as well as out, in order to prevent any doubt that the glove (with puck) had gone over the goal line. He ends up with the majority of his body in the goal, but it's quite clear that his glove is and has been outside of the goal.
I was at the game. He caught and then lurched forward. Not a great save. Great showmanship. However, assuming you're right and I'm wrong, please critique the first and third goals, BRUTAL AND HORRIBLE. The whirling of his glove hand was completely unnecessary.It was a good save but not a great one!

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:06 AM
  #437
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
As long as he saved it personally I dont care, he could have repelled down from the rafters like a ninja to make the save, as long as it didnt go in i'm happy.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:29 AM
  #438
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
was a bit off balance and wanted to make sure his glove, with the puck in it, didn't cross the goal line.
My thoughts exactly.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:34 AM
  #439
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
I was at the game. He caught and then lurched forward. Not a great save. Great showmanship. However, assuming you're right and I'm wrong, please critique the first and third goals, BRUTAL AND HORRIBLE. The whirling of his glove hand was completely unnecessary.It was a good save but not a great one!
He had backward momentum. At the point where the puck enters the glove it's practically in the net. If he doesn't "lurch forward" then we probably wouldn't have gotten a point because it would have been a goal. In fact, it was so close I was surprised a fuss wasn't made about it.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
  #440
bathgate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
He had backward momentum. At the point where the puck enters the glove it's practically in the net. If he doesn't "lurch forward" then we probably wouldn't have gotten a point because it would have been a goal. In fact, it was so close I was surprised a fuss wasn't made about it.
Too much time has been given to the save. Bottom line, he gave up two putrid goals. The third goal cost us a point. No other way to put it . Reminds me of the Philly game last year where people went wild over a so-called great save and then Gagne puts a softie through his legs. Weekes is no more than an adequate backup

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:15 PM
  #441
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts
 
The Amity Affliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 9,364
vCash: 500
I didn't get to watch all of the game, but I will tell you right now... the turning point of that game was when Cullen had that wraparound all alone and just fell. From there, everything went to ****.

If Cullen scores that goal, it's 4-1 and a completely different game. I HIGHLY doubt, even as good as they are, that Buffalo would come back from another 4-1 defecit in the 3rd and win.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:16 PM
  #442
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Too much time has been given to the save. Bottom line, he gave up two putrid goals. The third goal cost us a point. No other way to put it . Reminds me of the Philly game last year where people went wild over a so-called great save and then Gagne puts a softie through his legs. Weekes is no more than an adequate backup
Er...um...Okay.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:32 PM
  #443
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter View Post
wow wow wow

this squeeky pig sabre announcer is killing me (and the rest of the tvu viewers i assume)

how do you get a job in broadcasting with a voice like that?
I don't know which is worse in the gameday threads, all the posts regarding how bad the officiating is or all the posts on how bad the announcers are.

Either way, the posts are always more annoying than the officiating or announcing combined

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:42 PM
  #444
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrstrakanylander View Post
Everyone's willing to toss Kevin back onto the bench and start Henke for the next 15 games... Not enough props are being sent Kevin's way for the great performances he's given us the past few games... Yes, we gotta let Henke get his starts (the majority of them), but if Henke doesn't improve soon I would feel comfortable with Weekes (if he plays like he has the past 3 games) in net on any night..

Its just the bashing that goes on here after one loss.... One game he's God the next he's relegated to "go back to the bench" comments..

I for one, am willing to say

Great job Kevin Now lets get Henke back in the groove.
Good post.

Weekes was solid against three of the better teams in this league, getting 5 points out of possible 6. But instead of praise he gets 'He'll be eaten alive by Ovechkin'.

Yeah, okay....


Last edited by Bluenote13: 11-06-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:59 PM
  #445
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
I was at the game. He caught and then lurched forward. Not a great save. Great showmanship. However, assuming you're right and I'm wrong, please critique the first and third goals, BRUTAL AND HORRIBLE. The whirling of his glove hand was completely unnecessary.It was a good save but not a great one!
This is always the worst excuse in the book. How is it that someone watching from home can't have a better view, especially with replay??? Crazy....

And yeah, I agree that Weekes made a nice save on that play - the timing, the shot being deflected towards him by his own man...yeah, GOOD save.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.