HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Bobby Ryan's Potential

Old
08-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

vCash: 500
Wow, just wow...

Course he's not being serious

Ryan for 70.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 04:44 PM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

You guys get trolled easily.

McManked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 04:51 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I think that Ryan should start the season in Binghamton so he can play first line minutes and develop.

The Senators are building for the future. Player development is more important at this point than wins or playoff success.
Should send Spezza and Karlsson down on conditioning stints. Then our AHL team will dominate and we can post about how bright our future is and how we have the best prospect pool in the NHL. Sens >>> NHL, amirite?

08-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Minister of Offence

He's capable of being one of the leaguest highest scoring winger in any given season. He's got the talent to do that, and he's the go to winger here.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Should send Spezza and Karlsson down on conditioning stints. Then our AHL team will dominate and we can post about how bright our future is and how we have the best prospect pool in the NHL. Sens >>> NHL, amirite?
No, no, no, no. Teams that are too good for their league always go to the KHL. See Jokerit, Slovan Bratislava, etc. With Spezzov, Karlovitch and Ryanski we'll be top of the world.

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Liliaceae
sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Spezzov, Karlovitch and Ryanski
hhaha nice

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 05:01 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
No, no, no, no. Teams that are too good for their league always go to the KHL. See Jokerit, Slovan Bratislava, etc. With Spezzov, Karlovitch and Ryanski we'll be top of the world.
I knew there was a reason we wore red...

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 05:08 PM
HavlatMach9
streamable 3rah1

His potential was second only to Crosby.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:

It's funny because its the sort of thing you'd totally expect someone on here to say.
No it isn't

Comparing 20 year old Pageau who's played a handful of games in the NHL to an established 26 year old star player like Ryan is ridiculous

On topic: I'm counting on Ryan getting around 65-75 points

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:08 PM
John Holmes*

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 11:55 PM
18Hossa
And Grace, Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
**** no sleep tonight for me......

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 01:37 AM
Vesa Awesaka
#KeepTheSenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
well a lot of things are in place for a big year to happen.
healthy spezza and karlsson, michalek(?), wants to prove anaheim wrong, spezza wants to prove hockey canada wrong, hell the whole damn team probably feels like they have something to prove, karlsson wants to get back to being karlsson, bobby prime age, team's prime age, etc.

I can see 40 goals from him on spezza's wing and possibly 50. it all depends on spezza's health. It really just comes down to that one thing. If spezza stays healthy, then i say... look out. can't even see him getting less than 30. not a bad floor to work up from.
Michalek is playing for money too. The BIGGEST reason there is lol.

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 06:56 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

How are people saying Ryan's potential is 70 points when he has already hit it?

As the 2nd best winger.

With limited PP time.

His potential is PPG with 40-50 goals.

If he gets 60 points next year I'd be disappointed.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:14 AM
TheSenator
The other guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

As the 2nd best winger.

With limited PP time.

^This.

He's going from a diminished role in Anaheim to being the go-to-guy on a team with an excellent supporting cast in Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek etc.

Ottawa finished 4th in league scoring in 11/12 with player's like Kuba, Greening and Chris Neil in our top 10.

Our offensive depth is arguably a head and shoulders above what it was two years ago and I dont think it'd be a stretch to see multiple 40-50+ point scorer's in a season right now with Karlsson, Spezza, Ryan, Michalek, Conacher, Zban, MacArthur and Turris etc.

Especially with Maclean's adaptability.

In 1 season we literally went from one of the top-4 goal-scoring teams in the NHL to a shutdown defensive unit that ranked 2nd in league GA.

I'm excited to see what he does with the roster this season to say the least.

TheSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

As the 2nd best winger.

With limited PP time.

The year he hit 70 he was getting top line minutes. His 5 v 5 linemates were Perry (78.4%) and Getzlaf (64.7) . It was also the year Perry scored 50 so his assist totals are a bit out of whack from his career numbers.

5 v 4 it appears he moved from unit #2 to unit #1. He had 191 PP minutes which was 4th among forwards (behind Perry 270, Selanne 240 and Getzlaf 225). When he was on the PP his top linemates were Perry 41%, Blake 40.8%, Getzlaf 39.5%.

I could see a bit of an uptick in his PP scoring (maybe add 5 goals and 5 assists to his totals), but I don't think it's gonna be a huge move. His even strength numbers should, IMO stay the same or even go down slightly. I think 70 points is a good number for Ryan.

Something like 35 goals and 35 assissts.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreene View Post
^This.

He's going from a diminished role in Anaheim to being the go-to-guy on a team with an excellent supporting cast in Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek etc.

Ottawa finished 4th in league scoring in 11/12 with player's like Kuba, Greening and Chris Neil in our top 10.

Our offensive depth is arguably a head and shoulders above what it was two years ago and I dont think it'd be a stretch to see multiple 40-50+ point scorer's in a season right now with Karlsson, Spezza, Ryan, Michalek, Conacher, Zban, MacArthur and Turris etc.

Especially with Maclean's adaptability.

In 1 season we literally went from one of the top-4 goal-scoring teams in the NHL to a shutdown defensive unit that ranked 2nd in league GA.

I'm excited to see what he does with the roster this season to say the least.
Yeah if that isn't a testament to how good the coaching has been I don't know what is. Maclean knows what kind of players he has and knows how to get the best out of them. A healthy Spezza and Karlsson means more pocession time and more offense, definitely expecting the team to look more like they did in Maclean's first season.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
The year he hit 70 he was getting top line minutes. His 5 v 5 linemates were Perry (78.4%) and Getzlaf (64.7) . It was also the year Perry scored 50 so his assist totals are a bit out of whack from his career numbers.

5 v 4 it appears he moved from unit #2 to unit #1. He had 191 PP minutes which was 4th among forwards (behind Perry 270, Selanne 240 and Getzlaf 225). When he was on the PP his top linemates were Perry 41%, Blake 40.8%, Getzlaf 39.5%.

I could see a bit of an uptick in his PP scoring (maybe add 5 goals and 5 assists to his totals), but I don't think it's gonna be a huge move. His even strength numbers should, IMO stay the same or even go down slightly. I think 70 points is a good number for Ryan.

Something like 35 goals and 35 assissts.
People always look to his toi with Perry and Getz, but I think the more important factor is that 2010/11 was also the last time he had a dman that was moving the puck even close to as efficiently as Karlsson does. Vishnovsky wasn't the same in 11/12 and all due respect to Beauchemin, he is not an elite puck mover in the ilk of Karlsson.

If everyone is healthy, Ryan should have a healthy dose of Spezza (probably 80+% of his es toi) and Karlsson (Probably >50%). This is the kind treatment Michalek got in 11/12. Not to mention that he'll likely get 3:00+ of PP time instead of ~2:00 he got in Anaheim. If Michalek is the other winger as most expect, I think it would be pretty similar quality of teammates to 10/11.

Edit: Just to illustrate my point, here is Ryan's CF% and GF% with Vishnovsky and without him

Together
CF%: 54.5 GF%: 63.9

Ryan without Vish:
CF%:44.6 GF%: 48.0

Given that Ryan spent most of his time with Perry and Getz, it seems clear that Vish was the x factor.

Last edited by Micklebot: 08-09-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
People always look to his toi with Perry and Getz, but I think the more important factor is that 2010/11 was also the last time he had a dman that was moving the puck even close to as efficiently as Karlsson does. Vishnovsky wasn't the same in 11/12 and all due respect to Beauchemin, he is not an elite puck mover in the ilk of Karlsson.

If everyone is healthy, Ryan should have a healthy dose of Spezza (probably 80+% of his es toi) and Karlsson (Probably >50%). This is the kind treatment Michalek got in 11/12. Not to mention that he'll likely get 3:00+ of PP time instead of ~2:00 he got in Anaheim. If Michalek is the other winger as most expect, I think it would be pretty similar quality of teammates to 10/11.
I agree that his PP scoring will go up (I estimated 10 points), but I think his ES scoring will go down since his assist/gm the year he scored 70 was abnormally high from what I believe was due in part to the year Perry had.

Does Ryan have the potential to score 80 points? Possibly, if everything broke right for him from day 1. I think 70 is more likely.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post

Edit: Just to illustrate my point, here is Ryan's CF% and GF% with Vishnovsky and without him

Together
CF%: 54.5 GF%: 63.9

Ryan without Vish:
CF%:44.6 GF%: 48.0
Maybe, but in 2010/2011 he played with Perry 78.4% and Getzlaf 64.7%.

Then the following year he played with Perry 47.3% and Getzlaf 50.8%.

Last year it was even worse Perry 37.9% and Getzlaf 39.2%

How do your numbers account for this?

Old
08-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
I agree that his PP scoring will go up (I estimated 10 points), but I think his ES scoring will go down since his assist/gm the year he scored 70 was abnormally high from what I believe was due in part to the year Perry had.

Does Ryan have the potential to score 80 points? Possibly, if everything broke right for him from day 1. I think 70 is more likely.
Perry scored 27 goals the year before, and the diffence in Ryan's totals was 7 goals and 8 pts. I think you're overstating the effect Perry's goal total had on Ryans pts. You're right that 70 ish pts is more likely, but I think your reasoning is flawed.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Micklebot
I bee-beard'lieve

Quote:
Maybe, but in 2010/2011 he played with Perry 78.4% and Getzlaf 64.7%.

Then the following year he played with Perry 47.3% and Getzlaf 50.8%.

Last year it was even worse Perry 37.9% and Getzlaf 39.2%

How do your numbers account for this?
Not saying playing with Perry and Getz doesn't help, but your notice that the year Vish fell off a cliff is also the year both Getz and Perry's numbers plumetted (around 60 pts each).

Last year there was no big puck mover, and while Getz bounced back, Perry was not really much improved. Ryan droped to 57 pts, and then a 54 pts pace, but it wasn't just line mates that changed, he also lost significant PP time. My guess is that had he played more with Getz and Perry the last 2 years, you might have seen him reach 60-65, but without that elite puck mover there was little chance of another 70+ pts season.

Old
08-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Icelevel
+++--++++--=+

bonus - spezza still motivated to come out flying and force hockey canada to rethink their decision
(from team 1200 interview couple days ago)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 05:37 PM
TheSenator
The other guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
bonus - spezza still motivated to come out flying and force hockey canada to rethink their decision
(from team 1200 interview couple days ago)
He's also pissed that Alfie thinks Detroit's better than Ottawa.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...vid=nhl-search

Anyone notice how many times he threw the word 'leader' around in that interview.

TheSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Vesa Awesaka
#KeepTheSenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreene View Post
He's also pissed that Alfie thinks Detroit's better than Ottawa.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...vid=nhl-search

Anyone notice how many times he threw the word 'leader' around in that interview.
99.9 percent chance hes our next captain i knew he was taking over more of a leadership role but i had no idea he was so devoted.

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Rals

I don't wanna raise expectations to a fever pitch, but its almost guaranteed that we win the cup the next 2 years in a row.

Rals is offline   Reply With Quote