HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Franson's Rights

Old
08-09-2013, 07:57 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I think if we look at compensation for a more than dbl increase in salary for him. which is a 2nd rounder, youd have to think his negotiation rights would fetch less than that. otherwise id just offersheet and pay the 2nd.

unless hes a huge organizational need I dont see him getting tradedg for more than that, I also cant imagine hed be asking north of 3.5 mill. but this shortened season has seen some crazy stuff.

He is a ufa next summer.

He is being asked to give up ufa yrs, on an extension.

He outplayed Liles, who makes $3.8m per.

And you don't think he will ask for more then $3.5m? I disagree. I will be surprised if he signs a multi yr deal, for less then $4m per.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
Liles could we considered over paid by about 2 mil. Someone earlier said hes reported to be asking for 3.5
Who is the source for the $3.5m rumor? Someone credible?

Old
08-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Zonk

vCash: 500
Franson is NOT a UFA next summer. He will be in 2015. (He does not turn 27 until August 2014. If he had been born prior to July 1, then he would be a UFA in 2014.)

Other teams do NOT need Leafs permission to talk to Franson and his agent. He is an RFA, (emphasis on "free agent"). Any team can talk to him, but if they sign him, Leafs have the choice of matching or taking the compensation as set out in the CBA.

I am too lazy too look up the precise amount, but if Franson signs for less than about $3.5 million, Leafs get a second round pick. If it is more, the compensation goes to a first and a third.

Zonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Canadian Canuck
Virtanen!

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I don't think you quite get it. Trading for Franson (from a Canucks POV, keep this in mind) is pointless, useless, and unnecessary. We can't afford to be trading any top nine forwards because it only hurts our scoring, which is dreadful as is. We already have an RFA of our own that is taking long enough to re-sign in Tanev.
I agree with u! They don't get it!!!!!!

Canadian Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:13 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
He is a ufa next summer.

He is being asked to give up ufa yrs, on an extension.

He outplayed Liles, who makes $3.8m per.

And you don't think he will ask for more then $3.5m? I disagree. I will be surprised if he signs a multi yr deal, for less then $4m per.
every RFA thats over 23 (that can guarantee a starting nhl spot) is usually asked to extend through ufa years, most players like term on their deals and will take a discount to get it. this does not affect his value in a trade.

also terrible idea for any organization to payout based on a shortened season where you outplay liles of all people. Liles isnt really a comparable to franson in terms of age/contract. youd have to find other 24-27 year old defenseman on deals like that that he "outplayed"

itll be a bad contract if he signs for 4 mill or above. The only reason this is an issue is because hes probably not good enough for a contract like that.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:18 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
can the Leafs allow other teams to talk to Cody's agent without giving something first?
Franson is a RFA. All teams are free to negotiate with him

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Whizar
#KeepTheSenate

Quote:
Who is the source for the $3.5m rumor? Someone credible?
No idea just going off what someone said and what i realistically think he's worth. I'm not a leaf fan im not familiar with their beat writers.

Whizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:20 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:

that being said, the sharks could probably use him, and id be willing to move braun (defensive pmd-took on top comp last season and succeeded)+burish (cap dump) +3rd.

burish is a defensive 4C: he plays relatively tough minutes to his position. this is partially because hes trustworthy in his own zone and partly because he wouldnt offer you anything offensively anyway.

the 3rd can be either a conditional 2nd on resigning or a prospect that isnt named hertl, nieto, tierney, hamilton, or mueller.
Another offer that I'd consider, I very like Braun and he fits well with us, I like Burish as a decent role player with experience, and a decent pick, something we can always use.

The only problem is that it wouldn't free us a lot of cap space.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
so... it's a bad example then. the Erhoff example was much better.
You are unaware of the difference between restricted free agency and unrestricted free agency I suppose.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:24 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Another offer that I'd consider, I very like Braun and he fits well with us, I like Burish as a decent role player with experience, and a decent pick, something we can always use.

The only problem is that it wouldn't free us a lot of cap space.
yea, wed need to move two contracts in order to have a chance to sign franson, and even then it would be pushing it. but who knows what hes really asking for.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:25 PM
PG Canuck
K-Swag

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Franson is a RFA. All teams are free to negotiate with him
Only the Leafs have his rights, until they trade his rights, no other team can talk to him.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Whizar
#KeepTheSenate

Quote:
Only the Leafs have his rights, until they trade his rights, no other team can talk to him.
Wink.Wink, Nudge.Nudge

Whizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Zonk

Quote:
That is totally wrong. Franson does not have a contract and is a restricted free agent.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:30 PM
do0glas

Quote:
pretty sure an offersheet involves the team talking to the player. could be wrong though.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:30 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
yea, wed need to move two contracts in order to have a chance to sign franson, and even then it would be pushing it. but who knows what hes really asking for.
Yeah, fair enough. We still free up a little bit of cap space by doing this deal I think, depending on how much Franson asks.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:32 PM
PG Canuck
K-Swag

Quote:
pretty sure an offersheet involves the team talking to the player. could be wrong though.
If it's an offersheet yes. I thought he basically referring to him as a UFA.

Old
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
RFA's are free to negotiate contracts with any team they want.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PG Canuck
K-Swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
RFA's are free to negotiate contracts with any team they want.
Offersheet, yes.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:35 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Yeah, fair enough. We still free up a little bit of cap space by doing this deal I think, depending on how much Franson asks.
I think you guys have to move someone right?

i hate trying to calculate all this cap stuff, but if you trade franson and take back 3.1 mill in salary (braun/burish). youd have just enough to qualify kadri for another year. im guessing he wants a slight raise at least. we probably make bad trade partners with our cap situations

Old
08-09-2013, 08:39 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Franson is NOT a UFA next summer. He will be in 2015. (He does not turn 27 until August 2014. If he had been born prior to July 1, then he would be a UFA in 2014.)

Other teams do NOT need Leafs permission to talk to Franson and his agent. He is an RFA, (emphasis on "free agent"). Any team can talk to him, but if they sign him, Leafs have the choice of matching or taking the compensation as set out in the CBA.

I am too lazy too look up the precise amount, but if Franson signs for less than about $3.5 million, Leafs get a second round pick. If it is more, the compensation goes to a first and a third.
I thought it was seven yrs, between ahl seasons+nhl seasons. 2013-2014 will be Franson's 7th pro season.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:44 PM
beauchamp

It is Franson we're talking about?

On a 1-year contract, anything over $2.4M would be an overpayment.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Zonk

Quote:
I thought it was seven yrs, between ahl seasons+nhl seasons. 2013-2014 will be Franson's 7th pro season.
The CBA says seven "Accrued Seasons". The definition of an "Accrued Season" is given below. The "League" and "League Year" are defined later as the National Hockey League.

Thus, AHL seasons do not count.

"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a Player was on a
Club's Active Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more Regular Season Games,
provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement, games
missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Active Roster shall count as
games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only during the League Year in
which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one additional season."

Old
08-09-2013, 09:07 PM
DopeyFish
Mitchy McDangles

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
It is Franson we're talking about?

On a 1-year contract, anything over $2.4M would be an overpayment.
he was (tied for) 6th in the league in points for defense...

DopeyFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
De Haan was the Sound Tigers most poised defenseman before getting injured. Someone should tell the isles , that they have soured on De Haan because they don't seem to have realized it.

And Petrov(23 yrs old), would hardly be the first European prospect , to come over to the nhl in his 20s. Frans Nielsen and Mark Streit did.

Meanwhile, Franson being on one yr from becoming a ufa, has terrific leverage to get a big contract , if his team does not want him testing the market.
The Leafs own Leo Komarov came over last season when he was 26, or something like that.

Emelin came over when he was 24, or 25.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:16 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:

Well, I guess he is hanging out at home until he comes off that. See if can get that kind of contract after sitting out the year. No way the Leafs do 4 million on a multi year deal after pretty much one good season. If they do, Nonis should be fired but I think this is why he isn't signed yet and Liles is still with the team. The drop off between the two is not that great.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote