HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread V: Needs to End Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2013, 03:39 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
You describe him trying to make a long pass and pick a corner when shooting. Is that really that bad lol? Compareable to a forward tryin to stickhandle through an entire team and drop passing the puck all over the place???
Did we not **** on Rick Nash and Brad Richards for doing those things for an entire shortened season?

Old
08-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Did we not **** on Rick Nash and Brad Richards for doing those things for an entire shortened season?
Good for you!

Look, I can only speak for my self.

MDZ is what he is. When he plays in a smaller role or with Girardi, he is a solid young D. Sometimes he looks alot better than that. But still not like elite. But he is still young.

I just completely fail to see anything in his game to be all that upset about. Is he perfect? Of course not. Few of our players are. But just look at what words are used to describe him in the last 50 posts. You would have thought, I don't even know what...

Old
08-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Ola

I am getting obsessed with David Rundblad.

Making .785 per for two years.

I am watching a re-run of PHX-VAN (26 Feb 2013) right now. Rundblad is playing on the second pairing for PHX.

Please look at his work on the point just in the first handful of minutes on the game in the first seconds of this highlight vid from nhl.com (he is No 2, 0:02 and 0:10 into the video, he assists on Boedkers goal too):
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...,2,282&lang=en

Right handed shot.

He -- alone -- would instantly make our PP just so much better. He -- alone -- would instantly help make Brad Richards life so much easier. BR would again play on PP that wasn't dysfunctional, and could build his confidence there. Nash would be helped so much by just playing on a -- at least -- more normally functioning PP.

And the kid is still young. Like 5 month's older than Kreider. For 15 years he could be a very solid PPQB, and I don't think that's a stretch at all. And he has even more upside.

And I just can't see how he could not be available if Slats is willing to pay a premium. Would Maloney really turn down a offer of Hagelin for Rundblad? Slats can then swing one of our other D's (Moore or MDZ or Strålman. Preferbly Moore.) for a suitable return.

Sure it sucks loosing like Hagelin. But if it fix our PP? Get us a PPQB and top 6 D for .785 for the coming two years? Someone who got his best 15 years infront of him. Stårlman is due for a big pay day after this season anyway (he is a UFA, what would he get? 3m per? More than that?). We would have Girardi/Rundblad/McIlrath on the rigiht side in next season. McD/Staal/MDZ on the left. Perfect balance. The cost for our blueline wouldn't run away despite us resigning Staal. I would add to a package of Hagelin without thinking twice to get Rundblad.

Last edited by Ola: 08-09-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old
08-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Last thing we need to do is swap a forward for a D.

Old
08-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Last thing we need to do is swap a forward for a D.
We have a bunch of forwards and a bunch of D.

Do we have a PP? We all know the answear to that one.

As it is right now, I don't think JT Miller appears in a single line-up prediction I've seen. The kid was 19 y/o -- 19 y/o -- last season, and still did a fairly good job. 9 of 10 times a kid that is that close at 19 is much improved at 20. He won't die from playing in the AHL -- but I think its very likely that he is ready next season. Kreider, JT Miller, Zucc, Pouliot, Dorsett, Asham, Richards, Brassard, Fasth, Hrivik. We have guys who can play LW. Hagelin is a player I really like. But he doesn't make our break this team in any way. Our PP looses games for us. It destroys players we pick up. It holds back our kids. It just sucks a ton of energy out of us overall.

I am not even getting into the problems we get 5 on 5 due to not having someone who can open things up.

Rundblad is 6'3. He is a very underrated hitter. Excellent hip check. Due to his foot speed, he is below avg defensively. But we don't have to play him 5 on 5 in important D situations for the coming two years, before he really has settled in. Girardi and McI would play PK for us and important D minutes 5 on 5 down the road.

And, we could always swap MDZ for a forward. Trade Hagelin for Rundblad and MDZ for a winger.

Old
08-09-2013, 05:18 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

I don't want Miller anywhere near the team unless he got substantially better or we have no choice.

I also don't think it'd be a good idea getting rid of any of our D no matter how much we need scoring.

Old
08-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
And, we could always swap MDZ for a forward. Trade Hagelin for Rundblad and MDZ for a winger.
People throw these kind of scenarios around but you really don't see teams making multiple moves like this any more.... its just too farfetched.

I think hagelin doesn't have that 'wow' factor but the thing I love about him as a player as that he can easily slip into a LW position on lines 1-3 and not look too out of place on any of them.... ofcourse not an ideal scoring left-winger I think you're undervaluing him in favor of a guy full of question marks....

Old
08-09-2013, 05:32 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
We have a bunch of forwards and a bunch of D.

Do we have a PP? We all know the answear to that one.

As it is right now, I don't think JT Miller appears in a single line-up prediction I've seen. The kid was 19 y/o -- 19 y/o -- last season, and still did a fairly good job. 9 of 10 times a kid that is that close at 19 is much improved at 20. He won't die from playing in the AHL -- but I think its very likely that he is ready next season. Kreider, JT Miller, Zucc, Pouliot, Dorsett, Asham, Richards, Brassard, Fasth, Hrivik. We have guys who can play LW. Hagelin is a player I really like. But he doesn't make our break this team in any way. Our PP looses games for us. It destroys players we pick up. It holds back our kids. It just sucks a ton of energy out of us overall.

I am not even getting into the problems we get 5 on 5 due to not having someone who can open things up.

Rundblad is 6'3. He is a very underrated hitter. Excellent hip check. Due to his foot speed, he is below avg defensively. But we don't have to play him 5 on 5 in important D situations for the coming two years, before he really has settled in. Girardi and McI would play PK for us and important D minutes 5 on 5 down the road.

I agree despite the bold Rundblad with these low #s for 2 years, is worth considering.
If a guy like Skjei is here in 3 years, his superior skating would offset and could be a complementary pair.

Of course, the ? is, is it worth picking up DR now, and if so, what use can we get out of him, and also at what price?

I'm not comfortable moving Hags for him.

But I believe there is some combo we can come up with which works for us and Phx.

now, what could that be..........

Last edited by bernmeister: 08-09-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: content clarification
Old
08-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Lundsanity30

Hags for D??? In the words of Daniel Bryan, NO!! NO!!! not only do we not need D, Hagelin is one of the best puck possessors we have and plays great with either Stepan or Richards

Old
08-09-2013, 08:24 PM
nsvoyageurs

This may have been addressed (too lazy to look back), and may be a dumb question but what are the chances Stepan gets an offer sheet from another team before training camp starts; especially one the Rangers can't realistically match? I think Ryan O'Reilly got one late summer last year, and Stepan is a much better player than him.

This question means not much is going on and this offseason has to end.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Lundsanity30

He has to sign it first, plus we have the summer cap cushion. He's not going anywhere

Old
08-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
This may have been addressed (too lazy to look back), and may be a dumb question but what are the chances Stepan gets an offer sheet from another team before training camp starts; especially one the Rangers can't realistically match? I think Ryan O'Reilly got one late summer last year, and Stepan is a much better player than him.

Closer to 0 than 1%

Edit: gets AND signs

08-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Lundsanity30

8:33AM:*At Yankee Stadium yesterday,*Rangers assistant GM Jeff Gorton was asked about the contract situation with Derek Stepan and said that the two sides have had regular talks, but not for a few weeks, and that he anticipates getting back in touch over the next few days.Gorton spoke about the spot Derek Stepan is in, coming off his entry-level deal, and how the team expects certain things to go on longer than other. While the deal might not be done tomorrow, Gorton fully expects that something will be done by the time training camp starts.He described Stepan as a big part of the team, one they want to sign as soon as possible, and as a core player who the organization thinks highly of

Old
08-09-2013, 08:36 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

No Rangers player will receive an offer sheet from another team as long as Glen Sather is at the helm. Sather doesn't believe in them. Say what you will about the man, but no one would dare cross him.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post

Guess again! Ryan O'Reilly has been rated in the past as a better 2 way center than Stepan.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
No Rangers player will receive an offer sheet from another team as long as Glen Sather is at the helm. Sather doesn't believe in them. Say what you will about the man, but no one would dare cross him.
Who's afraid of the big bad teflon gm?

Old
08-09-2013, 08:44 PM
smoneil

My favorite posts on here are the ones where people rip on Del Zotto for not being as good as Staal. Those of us who have been watching for a few years might recall what Staal was like in his 22/23 year old season. He did one thing really well (defense) and totally struggled at the other (offense). He was asked to add some more O to his game, and what happened? His D suffered during the learning process. He only just recently (as in last season) started to put both parts of his game together at a high level.

Del Zotto was asked to work on his defense. It is OBVIOUS that he has done so and that he is 100% better than he was in his rookie year (which is saying something, because he didn't get sheltered minutes last year). Now he just needs to build on that improvement and find a way to play the offensive game that he can while still being defensively responsible. That takes time.

I also get a kick out of posts that constantly question his maturity, based on nothing more than him getting his photo taken once with a beer and two leather jackets. Yet nobody mentions the summer work he put in at that elite conditioning camp...

I can just about assure you that Rangers management would crack up laughing at the idea of trading Del Zotto for a forward unless it was just absurdly in our favor.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
My favorite posts on here are the ones where people rip on Del Zotto for not being as good as Staal. Those of us who have been watching for a few years might recall what Staal was like in his 22/23 year old season. He did one thing really well (defense) and totally struggled at the other (offense). He was asked to add some more O to his game, and what happened? His D suffered during the learning process. He only just recently (as in last season) started to put both parts of his game together at a high level.

Del Zotto was asked to work on his defense. It is OBVIOUS that he has done so and that he is 100% better than he was in his rookie year (which is saying something, because he didn't get sheltered minutes last year). Now he just needs to build on that improvement and find a way to play the offensive game that he can while still being defensively responsible. That takes time.

I also get a kick out of posts that constantly question his maturity, based on nothing more than him getting his photo taken once with a beer and two leather jackets. Yet nobody mentions the summer work he put in at that elite conditioning camp...

I can just about assure you that Rangers management would crack up laughing at the idea of trading Del Zotto for a forward unless it was just absurdly in our favor.
Time will tell!

Old
08-09-2013, 08:50 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Who dare speak negatively of the dual-leather jacket natty light pregame pic?

Old
08-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Guess again! Ryan O'Reilly has been rated in the past as a better 2 way center than Stepan.
Stepan has out produced him despite being younger and also is an excellent 2 way forward. who cares who was rated better

Old
08-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Stepan has out produced him despite being younger and also is an excellent 2 way forward. who cares who was rated better
Guess again! O'Reilly is younger(drafted in 2009), made the NHL out of the gate and there are very few teams in the league that would take Stepan over O'Reilly!

Old
08-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Trade del Zotto but trade for Runblad? Nope.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Guess again! O'Reilly is younger(drafted in 2009), made the NHL out of the gate and there are very few teams in the league that would take Stepan over O'Reilly!
I would beg to differ.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:05 PM
SA16
Two by two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Well if Sather doesn't believe in them that seems like a good reason to give Ranger players offer sheets...not that it matters because no GM would ever offer sheet an opposing teams player just out of revenge for having his guy offer sheeted.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:09 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Feaster's gonna offer sheet Step to make up for his blunderous Ryan "Jesus" O'Reilly offer sheet attempt. "Teflon GM" (!!!) will cower in fear of The Feaster!

Closed Thread