HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BR: Derek Stepan vs John Tavares

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2013, 06:55 PM
bigbren92

vCash: 500
BR: Derek Stepan vs John Tavares

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-than-we-think

Just... Wow... There are no words.. Typical Rangers.

Old
08-09-2013, 07:08 PM
ribbet

No informed Rangers fan says that at all. Not sure what you're talking about.

Old
08-09-2013, 07:10 PM
BillD

I like Stepan, like how he plays the game.
But compared to Taveres...........not in the same universe.
Stepan is a grinding forward that has a average to slightly better skill. He compares more favorably to his teammate Callahan.
John Tavares lives in a different world...and getting to the penthouse.
This was a dumb article unless the writer believes that Tavares is marginally good as Greenberg rated him last year.

Old
08-09-2013, 07:11 PM
ribbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
You want an honest answer to that one? Or you could just look at the comments section in that article.
The first comment I read said "I'm a Rangers fan, but this article is a complete joke."

Old
08-09-2013, 07:14 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR ribbet View Post
The first comment I read said "I'm a Rangers fan, but this article is a complete joke."
Comments

Try some reading comprehension. There's plenty of dopes, including the author trying to validate the article.

Old
08-09-2013, 07:16 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
You want an honest answer to that one? Or you could just look at the comments section in that article.

As for the title of the article, no it's not even close.
It's ****ing Bleacher Report. The author was probably some neckbeard still not old enough to own a driver's license. I could spend 20 minutes and find all sorts of ****ing ridiculous predictions and opinions from Islanders fans on this very forum. Stop pretending that there's some inherent correlation between intelligence and which hockey team you inherited as your own because of your dad or uncle or through some other arbitrary, fluke reason.

Old
08-09-2013, 07:29 PM
goal1228

so I guess the Rangers need to pay him 5 mil for this year (that will help the cap situation over there)

Old
08-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Stepan's a solid player. I like his game.

But compared to Tavares? Lol, not even close.

Old
08-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Strummergas

Hey The Right Way, if the article and the source is such a joke, why are you even bothering getting into it on the Islanders board with one of our posters? The whole thing should be chalked up to be laughable. But no, you just had to come here to defend the honor of your team. Another laughable reaction to a laughable article. Your handle should be "The Wrong Way"

Old
08-09-2013, 07:38 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Hey The Right Way, if the article and the source is such a joke, why are you even bothering getting into it on the Islanders board with one of our posters? The whole thing should be chalked up to be laughable. But no, you just had to come here to defend the honor of your team. Another laughable reaction to a laughable article. Your handle should be "The Wrong Way"
The intent was pretty clear. If this was about laughing at a stupid article he would have said, "look at this stupid article." Instead, he chose to turn it into a "LOL DERP TYPICAL RANGERS FANS." Give me a break.

Old
08-09-2013, 07:41 PM
ribbet

Quote:
Comments

Try some reading comprehension. There's plenty of dopes, including the author trying to validate the article.
Lol. A bit of a snide comment there, sheesh. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

From what I read, it's Felix Fan and the author trying to validate the article. Not sure how you can apply that to all Rangers fans. Obviously you don't read the Rangers boards here.

Last edited by ribbet: 08-09-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old
08-09-2013, 08:35 PM
JTforPres2012

Who cares.......Every Isles' fan knows how truly good JT is...we don't need a writer on a bogus site to tell us he has competition from a Rags player.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:38 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

I've always maintained that +/- is a useless stat. Does anybody ever take into account that JT is always on the ice with an empty net and he gets a - when we have an empty net goal against? Obviously the argument works the other way with empty net goals for, but if Tavares was such a weak player defensively, as this article suggests, then he wouldn't be out in those situations.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
The intent was pretty clear. If this was about laughing at a stupid article he would have said, "look at this stupid article." Instead, he chose to turn it into a "LOL DERP TYPICAL RANGERS FANS." Give me a break.
What's laughable was that you perceived it as your duty to defend your fanbase against an anonymous internet board poster on his favorite team's board.. If the whole thing is laughable, why not just let it go? Really, who gives a ****? Instead you came here and stirred up more nonsense than the stupid article would've done on it's own.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:57 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

The read these comments before the article but the article isn't as bad as we are making it out to be...and believe me, I look for reasons to dump on ANY AND ALL Rag$ fans. On these very boards we as Isles fans know JT needs to improve defensively. The only problem I did have is that he didn't mention at all that every team is looking to shut 1 player down when they play the islanders and its Tavares....even with that he puts up serious points.....As for Stepan he's probably mentioned after Nash and Callahan in a gameplan against the Raggies.

How I look at it is:
Offense:
JT>>>>>Stepan

Faceoffs:
JT>stepan

Defensive zone:
JT<<Stepan

Powerplay:
JT>>>Stepan

Penalty Kill:
JT<<<<Stepan

I respect Stepan's game...Is it close in terms of caliber of player? NOOOO. But if your looking at an overall game there or some things Stepan does better. At the end of the day its not really close if you have to pick one of these two players to start a team with.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:11 PM
JeffNYI

Pretend some magical legal ruling made the NHL have to start over.

All current player contacts are invalid, and a special draft takes place where each team gets to pick their new rosters from scratch..

JT could very well go in the top 10 in that draft and I cannot envision a scenario where he doesn't go top 20..

In contrast would amaze me if Stepan was in the top 100 picks, and wouldn't even surprise me if he wasn't one of the first 200 picked..

So, to answer the author's question: No, it's isn't closer than he thinks.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:20 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Mosquitos are bigger than firetrucks.

There, now I can be a writer for bleacher report too.

I don't blame Ranger fans at large for one idiot. We have them as well. The article should not even have this thread. The joke is on us, and we fell for it.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:34 PM
JimmySlice91

Its the nature of the game to have people compare players like this. That being said Stepan is not in the Tavares class. A good player in his own right, but that comparison is obviously a stretch. Rangers are lucky to have him, as the Isles are(very lucky) with JT.

Old
08-09-2013, 09:38 PM
StrongIslanders90

I like Stepan a lot but this is an insult to Johnny IMO. It's like saying Steve mason vs Rask/Price

Old
08-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
I think we're done here folks..

Closed Thread