HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MLB Discussion Thread, Part II: Yanks pay Ellsbury

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2013, 12:29 AM
  #1
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
MLB Discussion Thread, Part II: Yanks pay Ellsbury

Continue.

I Eat Crow is online now  
Old
08-09-2013, 01:42 AM
  #2
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,700
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I wish every day was Happy Harvey Day.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 09:32 AM
  #3
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
I hope they become somewhat better next year. 2006 was a long time ago.

HeaveHo94 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 12:33 PM
  #4
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I wish every day was Happy Harvey Day.
Happy Hefner Day

SA16 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 01:40 PM
  #5
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
I just traded Cespedes and Lance Lynn for..

PUIG

thoughts?

I am loaded with pitchers, so trading Lynn won't kill me...and Cespedes sucks.

KreiMeARiver* is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 02:05 PM
  #6
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
It is weird that the Mets or Yankees are not in a race at this time. Basically NYC baseball is Arod and Harvey. The bad with the good.

The Mets internal future is much better than the Yankees. Hopefully we can start seeing the foundations of that the remainder of this season and the start of next.

mrjimmyg89 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 02:17 PM
  #7
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
It is weird that the Mets or Yankees are not in a race at this time. Basically NYC baseball is Arod and Harvey. The bad with the good.

The Mets internal future is much better than the Yankees. Hopefully we can start seeing the foundations of that the remainder of this season and the start of next.
Just hope the Mets can finish strong. .500 and 2nd place should be the goal now. Establish a winning culture going into next year.

NYRSchrute217 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 05:10 PM
  #8
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Anyone know when the '1st pitch' is thrown? Girardi and Tavares are throwing it at the Yankee game tonight. Is it shown at the end of the pregame? Or is it early on the actual broadcast?

Riseonfire is online now  
Old
08-09-2013, 05:38 PM
  #9
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Anyone know when the '1st pitch' is thrown? Girardi and Tavares are throwing it at the Yankee game tonight. Is it shown at the end of the pregame? Or is it early on the actual broadcast?
It is usually just before the players take the field to start the game. So maybe 7:05ish. I don't know if they are televising it though.

SA16 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 10:28 PM
  #10
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,936
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Marlon Byrd screwed out of an inside the park HR.

Do the umpires even bother to watch the play if the ball beats the player?

Why bother sliding or getting around the tag, because if the ball beats you, you will be called out almost every time.

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 10:32 PM
  #11
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,646
vCash: 500
Another gem from Nova, 7 shut out innings against Detroit. He's def going to be a staple in the rotation going forward... edit, actually 7IP 1ER, still fantastic

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 10:57 PM
  #12
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 31,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Another gem from Nova, 7 shut out innings against Detroit. He's def going to be a staple in the rotation going forward... edit, actually 7IP 1ER, still fantastic

13 runs in 57.1 innings since he came back. 2.05 ERA. Missing lot more bats. Almost a strikeout per inning during that span.

darko is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 11:04 PM
  #13
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
13 runs in 57.1 innings since he came back. 2.05 ERA. Missing lot more bats. Almost a strikeout per inning during that span.
He's added a curveball to his repertoire and been pretty unhittable since. He's also throwing harder than I remember.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 11:07 PM
  #14
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Nova appears to be a hugely improved pitcher over the past few years.

SA16 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 11:18 PM
  #15
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,646
vCash: 500
Nova has a K/9 of 9.11 this season, combine that with his ability to keep the ball on the ground, and he's turning out real good.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 11:27 PM
  #16
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,646
vCash: 500
This most likely wont be received well by Yankee fans because they will see it as a sign of disrespect to Rivera, but lets face it, this season is OVER (and has been for a while).. The Yankees should switch Rivera to the set up role and put Robertson in the closer role. Nothing at all against Rivera, but Robertson should get closing experience, and this train wreck of a season is the time to do it IMO.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 11:46 PM
  #17
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,569
vCash: 420
Can we change the thread title? Every time I think we've finally started a discussion thread for the Steve Harvey Show.

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now  
Old
08-09-2013, 11:58 PM
  #18
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,646
vCash: 500
David Robertson has a 1.66 ERA with a K/9 of almost 11. That is freaking filthy. I know people will say "he can't close", based on a whole 4 appearances last season, but this guy will be the closer next year, mark it down.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 12:09 AM
  #19
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Meh closers such an overrated position. Robertsons probably more valuable int he role he's in now but for sure he will be the closer next year.

SA16 is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 12:15 AM
  #20
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
Meh closers such an overrated position. Robertsons probably more valuable int he role he's in now but for sure he will be the closer next year.
I'm not saying the Yankees will hand it to him, he will have some competition from Kelley, and maybe even guys like Betances (converted reliever) and Montgomery. The last thing the Yankees need to worry about next season is bullpen.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 12:25 AM
  #21
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 31,934
vCash: 500
I see Betances as more a long reliever. A guy who can go multiple innings if needed. Kelley is a keeper. It's Robertson's job to lose.

Need Sabathia to rebound and if we can bring Kuroda back we'll be fine pitching wise.

darko is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 12:30 AM
  #22
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I'm not saying the Yankees will hand it to him, he will have some competition from Kelley, and maybe even guys like Betances (converted reliever) and Montgomery. The last thing the Yankees need to worry about next season is bullpen.
Oh he's certainly going to be it. I'm just saying he is more valuable being used to come in and get important outs rather than as a closer mindlessly coming in the 9th to "save" 3 run leads or come in up 1 or 2 and face the bottom of the order and such. Very misused position as normally the most important relief work is not done in the 9th inning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I see Betances as more a long reliever. A guy who can go multiple innings if needed. Kelley is a keeper. It's Robertson's job to lose.

Need Sabathia to rebound and if we can bring Kuroda back we'll be fine pitching wise.
I don't see Betances becoming a major leaguer other than random occasional call ups here and there. He's 25 years old already and still has absolutely awful control.

SA16 is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 12:30 AM
  #23
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I see Betances as more a long reliever. A guy who can go multiple innings if needed. Kelley is a keeper. It's Robertson's job to lose.

Need Sabathia to rebound and if we can bring Kuroda back we'll be fine pitching wise.
I think this season is really just an aberration for CC.. Really. what has gone right this season for us?.. CC-Kuroda-Nova is a good 1-3, the Yankees should be able to find 2 guys who could give us at least what Hughes/Petitte have which is not much this year especially lately. Pineda/Phelps/Warren/etc.. Bullpen should be very good even losing Rivera.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 12:32 AM
  #24
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
Oh he's certainly going to be it. I'm just saying he is more valuable being used to come in and get important outs rather than as a closer mindlessly coming in the 9th to "save" 3 run leads or come in up 1 or 2 and face the bottom of the order and such. Very misused position as normally the most important relief work is not done in the 9th inning.
Oh believe me I very much agree with this, there are many times in the game whether its the 7th, 8th, or 9th, that the "closer" should be brought in to get the biggest outs, but sadly the 9th inning has become the "closer"..

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 12:39 AM
  #25
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 31,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I think this season is really just an aberration for CC.. Really. what has gone right this season for us?.. CC-Kuroda-Nova is a good 1-3, the Yankees should be able to find 2 guys who could give us at least what Hughes/Petitte have which is not much this year especially lately. Pineda/Phelps/Warren/etc.. Bullpen should be very good even losing Rivera.

Agree on CC. His xFIP is full run lower than his ERA and below average strand rate. Expecting low to mid 3s ERA next season from him.

Looking forward to getting Pineda back next season. I'd be fine with Phelps as a #5. Could always add a starter through free agency. Someone like Gavin Floyd. 3.61xFIP, ground ball pitcher.

darko is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.