HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we really want to make playoffs?

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic Mist View Post
Hes a #1 D by default.
well then no playoffs by default..:*(

really sad to say, and sorry.. but it's true.. only solution is to trade him, w/prospects & picks for a better guy, like the Pronger & Brewer trade.

As for the forwards up front.. look at TB..3rd last with Stammer and St.Louis.. Ouch... this needs to be addressed asap for the sake of the team, and making the play-offs. I'm tired of cheering 2 times a game for the kids and then smashing my remote cuz of .. well..

Also I feel that RNH is a tough SOB and will make the team healthy and ready to go from Game 1.

Last edited by Steve BachIntyre: 08-08-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old
08-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
well then no playoffs by default..:*(

really sad to say, and sorry.. but it's true.. only solution is to trade him, w/prospects & picks for a better guy, like the Pronger & Brewer trade.
Lol... you really think lightning strikes twice? We robbed the blues of Pronger in his prime... good luck with these ridiculous expectations. Smid is a number 3... 4 d ideally. Management said they need a #1 or #2 because guess what? We do need a #1 or #2 d... mind bottling I know, cant blame Smid for that at all. Putting his body on the line night in and night out and being a warrior on our blueline for years to come is one of the few bright spots on this team right now. Ainec.

Old
08-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Lol... you really think lightning strikes twice? We robbed the blues of Pronger in his prime... good luck with these ridiculous expectations. Smid is a number 3... 4 d ideally. Management said they need a #1 or #2 because guess what? We do need a #1 or #2 d... mind bottling I know, cant blame Smid for that at all. Putting his body on the line night in and night out and being a warrior on our blueline for years to come is one of the few bright spots on this team right now. Ainec.
I'm not trying to blame anyone. I like the guy. Thanks for responding also..

In response to your statement about putting his body on the line every game.. what about the rest of the team? What about Hemsky? RNH? Ebs playing w/a broken finger? Brown? Jones? Horcs punishment? Eager? Lander? Barker? Hordi? Sutton? Pecks? Khabby playing drunk? lol

It is expected to give it your all every game, and put your body on the line. That doesn't change the fact that he is inept with the puck.

He holds the most value so yes if lightning will strike twice it will have a better chance of happening with him. Either way it doesnt even have to be lightning, any static spark will do.. you dont think Smid a 2nd and Musil/Gernat + Harti could upgrade our top D? I love defense and have emphasized it's importance already.. however, the game is measured by who scores the most goals. I don't see how a career -39 and .13 P/PG game is suitable even for a top 4 D, let alone a #1 D.

Petry is almost equal to him in those stats now-a-days anyways, how redundant.

Mac-T is smart enough to figure this out I am sure and I highly doubt Smid will play his entire 7 or so remaining years with the Oilers. Either way his hockey IQ is not adequate to equilibriate with the rest of the team. We had a guy like him once.. Ulanov.. great warrior I loved him..

Smid should play bottom pair if anything, I don't understand how you can put him out there with all that skill. When the puck does manage to come up the ice,all you get is one rush from Hall who then gets smashed into the boards while Smid just stares at the guy.. Me kill you... no drop of gloves..

Total 14 Fights (.028 per Game) [If you can call them fights even]
NHL Career 7-4-2 / Win 48%

http://dropyourgloves.com/fights/Fig...px?P=13154&L=1

What a warrior. He's no Jason Smith that's forsure. Jason Smith would not even blink an eye at Mason Raymond and Colin Fraser.. but there's Smid.. Pad them stats bro, just like those permiter shot blocks. He hasn't won a fight since Oct 2009.

Last edited by Steve BachIntyre: 08-08-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old
08-08-2013, 11:18 PM
jp7

vCash: 50
Yes. Yes we do.

Old
08-08-2013, 11:32 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
because he habitually blocks shots, even on breakaways and 2-1's. The coaches tell him hey, Smid, don't do that anymore, and then he does it again, time after time, flopping on the ice as the puck goes in the net. Watch Oil Change.

I dunno maybe I'm wrong but IMO the guys with the Ice time are the ones who are the problem. IE: Smid, what is goal? Block with face? Shoot puck where? What is rush the puck mean? Ok, dump puck up Ice back to opponant, and try block shot again.

I love the guy he is hillarious but he should not be getting 1st line D, and needs some serious new habits. There is a reason why all the guys upstairs talk about is getting a legit #1 or #2 D-Man.
Okay I guess we can just let the shot get through and watch the other team score Hes a shut down D his job is to block shots.

Of course hes not a #1 D and I am sure everyone will agree on that, Its not his fault that we don't got a #1 guy, those types of players are rare and not every team has one.

Old
08-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
I'm not trying to blame anyone. I like the guy. Thanks for responding also..

In response to your statement about putting his body on the line every game.. what about the rest of the team? What about Hemsky? RNH? Ebs playing w/a broken finger? Brown? Jones? Horcs punishment? Eager? Lander? Barker? Hordi? Sutton? Pecks? Khabby playing drunk? lol

It is expected to give it your all every game, and put your body on the line. That doesn't change the fact that he is inept with the puck.

He holds the most value so yes if lightning will strike twice it will have a better chance of happening with him. Either way it doesnt even have to be lightning, any static spark will do.. you dont think Smid a 2nd and Musil/Gernat + Harti could upgrade our top D? I love defense and have emphasized it's importance already.. however, the game is measured by who scores the most goals. I don't see how a career -39 and .13 P/PG game is suitable even for a top 4 D, let alone a #1 D.

Petry is almost equal to him in those stats now-a-days anyways, how redundant.

Mac-T is smart enough to figure this out I am sure and I highly doubt Smid will play his entire 7 or so remaining years with the Oilers. Either way his hockey IQ is not adequate to equilibriate with the rest of the team. We had a guy like him once.. Ulanov.. great warrior I loved him..

Smid should play bottom pair if anything, I don't understand how you can put him out there with all that skill. When the puck does manage to come up the ice,all you get is one rush from Hall who then gets smashed into the boards while Smid just stares at the guy.. Me kill you... no drop of gloves..
This conversation is not about the other players though... but I will bite, everyone brings something different to the table... Where a player lacks in a certain ability one can certainly make up for it by being better at something else... In the case of Smid, he is more willing to block a shot than anyone else on the team and that is proven by his shot block totals as he leads in that category year after year. Its an important stat and it is recorded because those types of players are very useful, everyone and their dog knows Smid cant score at all. If you cant score you have to be effective at something else to stick with the team. While Smid doesnt score many points... If I was a GM I would know that Smid will do anything and everything to keep the puck out of the net so im not sure ppg matters in his case, of course it would be awesome for him to score but that is not the reality in his situation. These types of players have many uses... Closing out games, PK, shutting down the opposition and in Smid's case top opposition and doing quite well iirc... Smid has been a soldier through all of the tough years, has been a bright spot in the dressing room, wants to stay here and most importantly effective at his job. I If I could prove it I would say that all 29 other NHL teams would love to have him as their #4 shutdown defencemen. You simply can't blame him for playing #1 minutes or not scoring points, thats just not the player he is.

Last edited by Apocalyptic Mist*: 08-08-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old
08-08-2013, 11:58 PM
dem

The advanced stats say this team is mindnumbingly bad.
Playoffs after the minuscule changes we've made would be a miracle.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:07 AM
OilerNut*

This team really needs some veterans who are willing to bleed for the team, who will block a shot with his face if it meant saving a goal.
If you look back at the 2006 team we had guys like Staios, Smith, Torres, Peca, Moreau.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Okay I guess we can just let the shot get through and watch the other team score Hes a shut down D his job is to block shots.

Of course hes not a #1 D and I am sure everyone will agree on that, Its not his fault that we don't got a #1 guy, those types of players are rare and not every team has one.
That's exactly my point. The other team scores because thats ALL he does. Lay on the ice. How about a stick check bro? a back check? a take-away?

And yes every team does have a #1 D-Man it's the guy who plays the most minutes, which is my complaint about Smid. Sorry I wasnt trying to blame him for all of his shortcomings. I was however trying to blame him for why the Oilers have all of these glaring deficiencies in their #1 D. Like I said, the coaches are telling him to step it up, and he is not responding and I don't believe he is capable.

It's obviously the managements fault that we don't have a #1 D, but everyone has been hyping Smid up to be this person for *years* 7 exactly. The fact is, that he has failed.

Quote:
This conversation is not about the other players though... but I will bite, everyone brings something different to the table... Where a player lacks in a certain ability one can certainly make up for it by being better at something else... In the case of Smid, he is more willing to block a shot than anyone else on the team and that is proven by his shot block totals as he leads in that category year after year. Its an important stat and it is recorded because those types of players are very useful, everyone and their dog knows Smid cant score at all. If you cant score you have to be effective at something else to stick with the team. While Smid doesnt score many points... If I was a GM I would know that Smid will do anything and everything to keep the puck out of the net so im not sure ppg matters in his case, of course it would be awesome for him to score but that is not the reality in his situation. These types of players have many uses... Closing out games, PK, shutting down the opposition and in Smid's case top opposition and doing quite well iirc... Smid has been a soldier through all of the tough years, has been a bright spot in the dressing room, wants to stay here and most importantly effective at his job. I If I could prove it I would say that all 29 other NHL teams would love to have him as their #4 shutdown defencemen. You simply can't blame him for playing #1 minutes or not scoring points, thats just not the player he is.
Sure i get ya, thanks..

Joey Moss would do anything for the Oilers as well, and he loves Edmonton. He is extremely valuable to the team, and has been around forever. He tries his hardest for the team, but he simply doesn't keep the puck out of the net, period.

Petry knows when to block shots and when to pass or dump or rush, or clear, and has almost just as many hits and blocks as Smid. So you can't really say who is willing to do more but you could use these stats to determine hockey IQ, in which Petry>Smid.

A shut down D-Man means shut the other team down, so they don't score Sure he blocks perimiter shots, and picks his spots with clean hits just like his fights.. but he is definately not a shut down defenseman.. maybe an *attempted* shutdown defenseman.. but what are his take-aways/give-aways? He does close out games for the Oilers, unfortunately he only closes the door to the W column usually.

I used the other players as a reference to let ya know that everyone puts their body on the line, game in game out.. its their job.. not just Smid, and he should receive no special regard for this "heroic feat"

Quite well at shutting down the other teams opposition? RNH does more of that than him. In fact the only reason the oilers are doing anything is because of the top 6, stats dont lie. You have an argument for top 4 but a weak one at that. Nick Schultz was brought in for Blocking Shots and his defensive positioning.. Petry does it too..

top shot blockers arent typically #1 D-men they are usually down the chart quite a bit.. the Oilers do not have one single legitimate powerplay quarterback, but instead have invested all their chips into a top 6 for more firepower. How are they gonna get them the puck? They can't even win a face-off. =C

Whos gonna pick up Schultz off the ice? Smid? Will Justin even be able to play enough games without injury to even develop? Brown barely won half his fights last year.

I blame Smid because he is uncoachable. It's not his fault just like a schizophrenic has no fault in commiting a crime. It just is what it is. Maybe Mac-T hasn't traded him because he just can't.

I really want to see him succeed and even have a disability myself but he HAS to have peaked by now. Regardless of who's fault, The Oilers will NOT make the playoffs with him as the top D unless Eakins can somehow.. well do anything really.. anything at all.. cattle prod.. fibreglass in the jock strap.. trip to the video room.. corporal punishment I have no clue because whatever Steve Smith is doing is not working.

Last edited by Steve BachIntyre: 08-09-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old
08-09-2013, 12:30 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTavishing View Post
This team really needs some veterans who are willing to bleed for the team, who will block a shot with his face if it meant saving a goal.
If you look back at the 2006 team we had guys like Staios, Smith, Torres, Peca, Moreau.
Well Ference is a good start. Smyth is here to. Even if dam slow, he will still bleed for the team

Old
08-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Oilers Shut down guys used to be legit, and were able to put up points, and things at one point looked decent..

http://www.hockeyforum.com/edmonton-...ars-print.html

Oilers captain Jason Smith has a pain threshold normally reserved for those who endure childbirth, cracked ribs, and Dharma+Greg marathons. At any point during the season, you can usually bet he’s playing with pain that would leave most NHL players watching from the press box, and most other human beings lying in hospital beds.

Smith has provided toughness and quality leadership for the Oilers since he was acquired from the Toronto Maple Leafs during the 1998-99 season. Oilers GM Kevin Lowe is rumored to be working on a multi-year deal for the 30-year-old free agent that should be finalized once the Petr Nedved situation is resolved.

The play of rookie defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron may have been the Oilers biggest surprise last season, posting 26 points and a +13 in only 54 games. If he hadn’t spent 17 games playing for the Toronto Roadrunners he may have garnered a fistful of Calder trophy votes as well. The 23-year-old has always put up huge numbers playing in the QMJHL and AHL, and the reason he went undrafted is a mystery fit for Columbo.

Despite being small in stature at 5-feet-10 and 197-pounds, Bergeron plays an aggressive style, always looking to make hits in open-ice. The Oilers are expected to sign the restricted free agent to a healthy increase over the $410,000 he made last season, and he should continue to improve as he gains NHL experience and increased time on the power play.

When the Oilers signed Steve Staios in the summer of 2001, nobody expected him to develop into a solid defensive presence. However, in three seasons with Edmonton the rugged defenseman has seen his stock rise dramatically. Last season, as he was facing the possibility of unrestricted free agency, the Oilers signed him to a three-year contract extension worth $7.05 million. The 31-year-old native of Hamilton, Ontario provided the club with a dominating physical presence and registered 28 points in 82 games, leading all Oilers defensemen. Few players are quicker to stand up for their teammates than Staios, and he has become a fan favorite because of his rugged physical play.

Igor Ulanov blocks shots that make grown men cringe and babies cry. The 34-year-old veteran is the Edmonton Oiler most likely to block shots with his face, giving him an intimidating appearance and keeping him far from beauty contests of any kind. Ulanov has suited up for 8 different NHL teams over his career, but he’s always produced his best play draped in the copper and blue. The Oilers signed the big Russian back in January and he played surprisingly well down the stretch, posting 18 points and a +19 in 42 games last season. The Oilers picked up Ulanov’s one-year option in June that will keep him with the club, making $750,000 this season.

Old
08-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Hes a #1 D by default, he should ideally be on the 2nd pairing... im sure you are smart enough to figure out why Smid is on the 1st pairing.

I know what clip on Oil Change you're talking about but fact is... the coach was just being a coach. A coach telling his players what to do in certain situations doesn't mean he is and I quote "uncoachable", it means he is still learning... it goes for everyone on the team... ex. Hopkins and Gagner with faceoffs. Please dont tell me you think they are uncoachable.
Thanks for the reply.. I can understand your concern, kinda harsh worlds... I suppose he obviously wouldnt have made it to the NHL if he was totally uncoachable.. BUT

Well I say it because I watch that episode.. and then I watch the games and I see it happening quite a bit still.. I mean I watch the games and I can see he's gonna do it.. theres like 1 of the other teams 4th line grinders forechecking a dump in, and there he is flopping on the ice right in the middle of the slot during a 1 on 1 trying to block the shot.. w..t..f.. and then theres another puck in the net and a bill to my bookie ... thats why I say uncoachable..

I have a job where I am a professional and have been doing what I do my whole life, but when I work with this new company they tell me to do things differently but with the same intended results.. fact is.. If I don't listen.. I get fired.. plain and simple, I have to do things their way, and stroke some egos. I have to be able to listen and do what the boss says.. hence I am coachable.

Smid is too old to still be learning hes played 7 years, thats half his career. 3 of those with zero goals, (yes zero... three times... each almost a full season, when Igor freaking ulanov can get 18 points in half a season) and only 4 points last year while playing with Hall, Eberle, RNH, Gagner, Yakupov, less than 25 feet up the ice. How about a pass? Just one? Youd think with all his blocked shots, just one would bounce off him to Eberle to Hall and in the net but not even that. It is totally mind boggling.

Gags and RNH are kids, its harder for them to be coachable in the same sense because they dont have a defensive coach.. sure they have a PP coach which they are doing well with, but on the other hand they have also had 3 coaches in the last 3 years who just complain to the GM about face-offs instead of teaching them how... so that makes it harder for them to compare to Smid who mainly takes defensive orders from S.Smitty with no real results. Maybe this team needs an offensive minded boy in the boys club.. Mess we need ya. Pronto. Or even Simpson was part of the 06 Cup Run... too bad.. he was the last 50 goal scorer for the Oilers. Meh. Maybe I dunno.. but maybe there will be a miracle.. I had a dream many years ago that the Oilers won the cup and it said 2013 on it.

Last edited by Steve BachIntyre: 08-09-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old
08-09-2013, 08:36 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7 View Post
Yes. Yes we do.
^^ x2

Old
08-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Broilers

We have signed quite many defense men. I read nice blog from Corey Potter some time ago. Maybe some team wants to dump salary and center for him. Philly is over the cap. I would love to have Maxime Talbot. Maybe we can sweeten the deal by sending prospect or pick there too. They have already many centers so who knows.

I may be too fanatic but I do not really want to go to season with centers we have (expecting that RNH starts in IR). Some posts suggests that he is maximum 10 games away but it really takes a time to get in to game shape and he will miss training camp too.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:56 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

To answer the question of the thread, yes. I want this club to make the playoffs. I do every year.

I don't even understand why anyone would say "no."

Old
08-10-2013, 10:22 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

The only reason we stuck through the tough times was the promise that it's going to get better. Or maybe it's because we have nothing better to do. Either or, if you're a general fan of sport, the answer is an unabashed "yes".

Old
08-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Ot course we want to make th e playoffs, but it getting clear that management is willing to wait for Klefbom and nurse, and try to come close with an imbalanced roster.

As for the Smid, just another example of Oiler fans overrating a player with endearing qualities. If the best u can say about a player is he blocks a lot of shots, then he's not that good. Smid is a 4-5 defenseman.

Old
08-10-2013, 11:07 AM
KMart27

I have seen no evidence to suggest that Smid is uncoachable. I would say he is very coachable. He has little to no offensive ability but that isn't because he's uncoachable or refuses to change the way he plays. He's a 2nd pairing defenseman who has been forced into playing on the top pair and has done a respectable job.

Old
08-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Well my good man, I could say that even in his first year he knows here, the importance of passing the puck up to the forwards, and has had 7 years to learn... and? What else takes 7 years to learn... Ph.D. what?

How about this kid who was 0 yrs old at the time Smid gave that interview..

Last edited by Steve BachIntyre: 08-10-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old
08-10-2013, 03:29 PM
KMart27

Smid is a defensive defenseman who has spent his career on a team that has struggled to score. Exactly how many points do you want him to score? He recognizes that he isn't good offensively so he limits the amount of aggressiveness and risks that he takes in that regard. I would love it if he added more offense but it is a long way down my list of concerns.

Old
08-10-2013, 03:38 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum17 View Post
Smid is a defensive defenseman who has spent his career on a team that has struggled to score. Exactly how many points do you want him to score? He recognizes that he isn't good offensively so he limits the amount of aggressiveness and risks that he takes in that regard. I would love it if he added more offense but it is a long way down my list of concerns.
Yup, Its just the M.O. with Oiler's fans to find something to complain about.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Just trying to give my opinion about why the Oilers won't make the playoffs, back it up with some facts, and engage in discussion about why. Yeah I complained this one time about his flopping around but its not as bad as all the Hemsky talk everywhere lately.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Roof Daddy

Smid is an excellent shutdown guy IMO, and would be most effective paired with J Schultz. I don't care if Smid ever scores another goal again if it allows J Schultz to play like a 4th forward.

As for the question at hand, obviously we want to make the playoffs. Dumbest question ever. It seems the real question is can we, and I say hell ya. LA, VAN, SJ and ANH will be tough to supplant (not entirely sold on ANH though), but the Central Division only has CHI and STL as locks. MIN, DAL, COL, WPG, NSH - we're as good as any of those teams. As for my guess as to how it plays out....

LAK CHI
VAN STL
SJ WPG
ANH EDM

First round matchup with the Hawks would be epic.

Old
08-10-2013, 09:42 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Smid is an excellent shutdown guy IMO, and would be most effective paired with J Schultz. I don't care if Smid ever scores another goal again if it allows J Schultz to play like a 4th forward.

As for the question at hand, obviously we want to make the playoffs. Dumbest question ever. It seems the real question is can we, and I say hell ya. LA, VAN, SJ and ANH will be tough to supplant (not entirely sold on ANH though), but the Central Division only has CHI and STL as locks. MIN, DAL, COL, WPG, NSH - we're as good as any of those teams. As for my guess as to how it plays out....

LAK CHI
VAN STL
SJ WPG
ANH EDM

First round matchup with the Hawks would be epic.
Winnipeg won't be ahead of us, they aren't very good.

They struggled a lot last year and have not improved... and this year they won't get to play tampa, carolina, and florida so many games.

Also not sold on Vancouver this year either, the Loungo situation I could see getting ugly and being a distraction.

Also not sure why San Jose is guaranteed to be better then us, Niemi stood on his head last year (can he do it again) and they were still only the 6th seed, they are trending downwards and are aging.

But I completely agree that we can compete for a playoff spot

Old
08-10-2013, 09:45 PM
skorf

I think we try and make the playoffs this year.

We had our few bad years like Pittsburgh and Chicago and got top of the draft picks, so it's time to compete.

I'd say the only teams that should not be trying to make the playoffs right now should be Buffalo and Calgary. They both need to rebuild.

Closed Thread