HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Recchi on point

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2004, 04:56 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Recchi on point

I don't know if anyone else notices how bad Recchi is playing the point on the power-play, but I am sick of him up there. He leads the team with power-play goals, I believe, and don't remember any of them coming from the point.

He sucked on point a few years ago and he sucks there now. He makes bad decisions with it up high. He gets trapped in the corner and usually coughs it up, or he bounces one off the defenders shin and ends up chasing him down the ice.

He needs to be down along the boards setting guys up or taking that wicked shot from a bad angle that he has fooled goalies with a few times this year.

Anyone else notice this?

Old
01-11-2004, 05:14 AM
blah

vCash: 500
Haven't really noticed his point play but isn't Amonte usually next to the net? I think they'd be better off w/ Recchi there and Pitkanen, Roenick, and Amonte doing the shooting.

Old
01-11-2004, 06:18 AM
stanley

Edmonton really got in the shooting lane of both point men last night. I wonder how an umbrella-like configuration would work against that kind of pressure. It seems that the high box men on the penalty kill pressure the point men and they get too reluctant to shoot. It looked like they were playing in mud on their power play last night - not enough player movement.

Pitkanen is not the savior of this club now, but he sure does a lot of good things on the power play.

Old
01-11-2004, 06:22 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
Pitkanen is not the savior of this club now, but he sure does a lot of good things on the power play.
Absolutely, he's not the saivor, but they sure do miss him. Nobody wanted to shoot the puck at all last night except for Seids.

Old
01-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Overtime

Recchi sucked there years ago? You mean the year he led the NHL in PP points?

He didn't look great there last night but a few games ago he looked terrific on the point. Edmonton pressured every pointman last night not just Recchi.

I think you are being too hard after one poor game on the point.

Old
01-11-2004, 07:40 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
He sucked on point a few years ago and he sucks there now.
Yea I noticed it but are you kidding??
Rex played the point the year he finished 3rd overall in points in the NHL (something like 91 points or so...).

Old
01-11-2004, 07:59 AM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
Recchi is the man, but I'd rather see him down low than on the point. He's got the wicket snapshot but you can't really score those from the point. I like the idea of 4 offensemen out on the PP though.

Old
01-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Overtime

If Hitchcock decides to take Recchi off the point and move him up front again I'd like to see Amonte be the player replaced on that unit. I think Recchi has done fine there though with the exception of last night's game.

Old
01-12-2004, 01:44 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Well, it's a funny thing with stats isn't it? I'm not being hard on him for one night. That is what I see from him when he plays the point on the power play. It's what I've always noticed even when he led the league. If you remember right Lindros and LeClaire were also on that power play. I still saw him get trapped in corners and chasing down players after he bounced the puck off them. He played the point the next couple years without a Lindros-like force on the team and LeClaire looking like he needed Lindros and the power-play stunk. I don't think you'll find trapped in corner or bounced one off defender on any stat sheet so you'll have to watch.

Old
01-12-2004, 01:50 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplush76
Recchi is the man, but I'd rather see him down low than on the point. He's got the wicket snapshot but you can't really score those from the point. I like the idea of 4 offensemen out on the PP though.
That's exactly where he needs to be. He's been great there all season. Like I said, I'm not bashing the guy for one night. He needs to be put in position to make things happen and he does that down low, not on the point.

When he plays the half boards he can make plays to the point, to guy down low who tries to feed the man in front usually, or skate to the circle and snap one far side while the goalie is hugging the post.

I'm not bashing Recchi, just the coaches need to put him where he is least effective.

Old
01-12-2004, 03:24 AM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
Well, it's a funny thing with stats isn't it? I'm not being hard on him for one night. That is what I see from him when he plays the point on the power play. It's what I've always noticed even when he led the league. If you remember right Lindros and LeClaire were also on that power play. I still saw him get trapped in corners and chasing down players after he bounced the puck off them. He played the point the next couple years without a Lindros-like force on the team and LeClaire looking like he needed Lindros and the power-play stunk. I don't think you'll find trapped in corner or bounced one off defender on any stat sheet so you'll have to watch.
LeClair

Old
01-12-2004, 05:38 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindA17
LeClair
It was early, I just woke up. Thanks

Old
01-12-2004, 06:04 AM
Overtime

I DO watch the games and I watch closely. What I see is that the defensemen on the team are often pressured just as much as the forwards at the point. If it had been Recchi and not Johnsson who was beaten so badly on the play that caused the penalty shot there would have been no end to the comments about how he shouldn't be on the point. Recchi's play there is magnified while the defensemen are largely ignored.

Also, only Neilson used Recchi on the point on a regular basis. He used him as a defenseman in practice one day out of each week to keep him sharp should play go the other way and I think it worked well. I don't think Recchi was beat as much as you say. In the following years Barber rarely used Recchi on the point even though fans were screaming for him to be put there. Your assertion that he played the point the next couple of years is simply incorrect. 5 on 3s is the only time he played the point except for a handful of games where he split some time with Kapanen there. I think each player played around 5 games on the point 5 on 4.

Old
01-12-2004, 08:24 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
I never said he played point every power play, whether this year or years past. He did however play the point and sucked after Lindros left and Neilson left. Where does he get his PP points? Not on the point, I know that much.

You can believe he's as good or bad as the defensemen and I'll believe he sucks there and should play down low where he is actually effective, okay?

Closed Thread