HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At season's end, which one to keep?

View Poll Results: At end of season, do you keep Markov or Diaz?
Markov, we need his experience in a young D-squad 54 61.36%
Diaz, poor man Markov on a budget 16 18.18%
Neither, Beaulieu is the one to insert in the lineup 18 20.45%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Markov is here until retirement . Diaz will stick around as well, much to my chagrine.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 01:41 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Markov is here until retirement . Diaz will stick around as well, much to my chagrine.
Not necessarily to either but as always I find it pointless to remove good players just because. Gotta replace them with better players or trade them for an asset. It's never good to let quality players walk and have holes.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Not necessarily to either but as always I find it pointless to remove good players just because. Gotta replace them with better players or trade them for an asset. It's never good to let quality players walk and have holes.
Markov is still unique and irreplaceable . If Diaz is a must keep player then you look elsewhere for a player to move . I am looking at Gorges who is a Jack of all trades and a master of none.

The day Markov gets traded for a pick is the day I would seriously reevaluate Bergevin. That's not the player to play that game with.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 02:02 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

LL: word to the mummy ****ers

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm in no hurry to get rid of Markov. I just hope he doesn't decide to retire.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Habiton

Add option for both. We need them. Once Tinordi develops into a stud our Dcore will be awesome. If we don't plan on resigning them I sincerely hope we trade them. No more assets for nothing, Im tired of that.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Et le But

Shouldn't we wait to see how Markov looks one year older (and wiser) before we write off his fate?

While I like Diaz, if Beaulieu (not to mention others) shows he's NHL ready at the end of the year, he might be the best option to move. But it depends on how others on the team look (including Markov), and how Diaz comes back from losing his **** after that series defining pass to Eller. But we need more mobility, not less, so I wouldn't rush to move Diaz either.

It would be nice to see good asset management for once, either way. But that doesn't mean selling high just for the sake of selling high.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

We shouldn't be letting any top 4 d-man walk. Beaulieu stays in the minors until he forces his way onto the team. Then we trade someone, we don't let them walk for nothing.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:26 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

As long as we have Diaz and Markov in our lineup, our defense will continue to struggle and everyone will still blame Price.

Get ride of Markov at the end of next season, tired of his sloppyness. Just look at that goal for/againts differential... I could care less if he produces on the PP.

We can be more patient with Diaz. We need that two way hockey IQ rightie d-man so I hope the organisation will give him at least a year, we will se after. But, I don't think he should be part of our future plans. I know he's good, but I expect him to be traded in a near future.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Beaulieu was traded before next year. Looks like MB is looking for some crazy evil trades since a while.

So, maybe all of them won't even be in Montreal next year.

But, all of them could stay as well.

I don't know.

Bye

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
As long as we have Diaz and Markov in our lineup, our defense will continue to struggle and everyone will still blame Price.
Having Markov and Diaz is the problem, and not the fact that Boullion was playing in the top 4 at the end of last season?

Old
08-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
No way Beaulieu will spend two more years in the AHL. He will be ready after this year or perhaps part way through it IMO and I can't see the Habs rolling with 4 offensive d-men in 2 years time or sitting one of them.
He will be a regular by Christmas

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:58 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Having Markov and Diaz is the problem, and not the fact that Boullion was playing in the top 4 at the end of last season?
I wasn't talking about Bouillon but I will if you want.

He's gone after this season.

Old
08-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I wasn't talking about Bouillon but I will if you want.

He's gone after this season.
Well, I think Boullion's overuse last year was a sign of how unbalanced our defense was. You point to Markov's goal difference, but much like Plekanec the year before that it was at least partially down to coaching, in that he spent most of the season given tougher matchups than Subban for reasons I can't understand.

Also, while his decision making was at times poor, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he was trying to adjust, considering he hasn't played before this year for 2 years and can't move as quickly as he used to. I'd like to see how he does next year.

Old
08-10-2013, 07:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Get ride of Markov at the end of next season, tired of his sloppyness. Just look at that goal for/againts differential... I could care less if he produces on the PP.

We can be more patient with Diaz. We need that two way hockey IQ rightie d-man so I hope the organisation will give him at least a year, we will se after. But, I don't think he should be part of our future plans. I know he's good, but I expect him to be traded in a near future.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Beaulieu was traded before next year. Looks like MB is looking for some crazy evil trades since a while.

So, maybe all of them won't even be in Montreal next year.

But, all of them could stay as well.

I don't know.

Bye
To be fair Markov wasn't in real game shape. He missed quite a bit of time. He can't get worse. He will be better this year after last year being injury free. His stamina and timing weren't perfect last year, they will improve for sure. I'd give him a chance.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:05 PM
HabsRockBruinsChoke

Markov is obviously staying, he's a lifer in Montreal. Some people think he's washed up due to his injury prone-ness but hes been consistent with points and PP...

I wouldn't be surprised if hes the next captain. Gionta is good for now but if he doesn't come back then I'd prefer Markov over those who has not spent their career with Montreal... there's no way Prust or Subban are being captains, its Markov or Plek.

HabsRockBruinsChoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 08:05 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well, I think Boullion's overuse last year was a sign of how unbalanced our defense was. You point to Markov's goal difference, but much like Plekanec the year before that it was at least partially down to coaching, in that he spent most of the season given tougher matchups than Subban for reasons I can't understand.

Also, while his decision making was at times poor, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he was trying to adjust, considering he hasn't played before this year for 2 years and can't move as quickly as he used to. I'd like to see how he does next year.
I'm just hoping he can make smart defensive plays and a guy like Beaulieu can learn from him. I don't even want him to have a lot of points. But if Markov can't follow the NHL rythme and for some reason we got ride of Diaz, MB might regret his decision.
For me, it's Diaz over Markov because I think long term, but like you said, let's give Markov a last chance since it's his last year under contract. There's always a trade deadline this year so if we suck, expect him to be traded FOR SURE.

And if Subban is our no. 1 defenseman, maybe Markov will do better defensively, same thing for Plecky if he play less againts other teams top lines.

The way I see it: We need a left d-man to play big minutes with Subban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
To be fair Markov wasn't in real game shape. He missed quite a bit of time. He can't get worse. He will be better this year after last year being injury free. His stamina and timing weren't perfect last year, they will improve for sure. I'd give him a chance.
Me too I'd give him a chance, be he definitely CAN get worse. He's old and injury prone man! Not saying he will get worse, but don't count on him to become the stud he was.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:17 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Beaulieu is being groomed to replace Markov.

Diaz is a different discussion but as long as the price is right he's a good third pairing offensive RD.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
The results we had in the past are awful when Markov is injured and not in the lineup. We need him like...so bad.
Different era buddy. By 2014-2015 Beaulieu will be ready to play top 4 minutes.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 08:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Me too I'd give him a chance, be he definitely CAN get worse. He's old and injury prone man! Not saying he will get worse, but don't count on him to become the stud he was.
One of markov's big injuries was a skate cut. I don't think it counts as injury prone. His knee will never be 100% again but unlike subban he doesn't rush and isn't that type of player so he won't need to put as much wear and tear on it. I think he'll be fine.

Subban can get worse, so can eller, galchenyuk and others. We're always hopeful no one regresses. At this point however, I think it's safe to say Markov will improve his stamina and timing and that should help. Other factors like age will play a factor but once again, he never relied on speed and physicality like subban. Hockey IQ won't fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Different era buddy. By 2014-2015 Beaulieu will be ready to play top 4 minutes.
What's that have to do with anything? Why not have depth and besides Beaulieu may never be as good as Markov. We're hopeful but he may just end up a #4 and even in Markov's extended absence he's come back as at least a top 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Beaulieu is being groomed to replace Markov.

Diaz is a different discussion but as long as the price is right he's a good third pairing offensive RD.
No one will replace what Markov was and Beaulieu may not even bring what Markov brings now. It's not to say Subban isn't better or beaulieu may never be. It's just a question of what Markov brings. He changes our PP and can play top 4 minutes and in any situation. He's a good player and we shouldn't underestimate his value.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:34 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Depending on how Magnus Nygren and Nathan Beaulieu progress this year in Hamilton, Diaz, at least, may become very expendable come the trade deadline...I really like Nygren's game; he's basically a bigger, more physical Diaz with a good shot from the point...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 08:47 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Always trying to trade Markov....ugh.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 08:59 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Always trying to trade Markov....ugh.
I wouldn't be surprised if 20% of the posters here were watching Barney or les shtroumphs when Markov joined the team.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 09:20 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if 20% of the posters here were watching Barney or les shtroumphs when Markov joined the team.
...so??...as a Habs fan that's older than Markov, I also think we may have to trade him at the deadline if he's lost another step and Beaulieu proves ready to make the jump into our Top 4...trades happen, amigo...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I love Markov but I still think the best move going forward for us is trading him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 09:38 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I love Markov but I still think the best move going forward for us is trading him
Depends for what. Would you find it a good move to trade him for a 3rd round pick? Probably not. Markov is a good player and like anyone else, unless we can safely replace him or there is a true benefit in letting him go(ex: more capspace and we fill another hole while replacing him with say beaulieu) otherwise what's the point? Beaulieu isn't markov just yet. So unless there is a benefit beyond giving a young D a free spot I'm not comfortable getting rid of him. If we trade him and we get a good asset then sure, it all depends.