HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread V: Needs to End Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2013, 07:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
The 2 year contract is prefered with players coming out of entry level with arb rights like Hagelin. McD is the exception. Lundqvist signed a one year deal in 07 for $4.25M and then signed his current contract.

Old
08-10-2013, 09:28 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I had no issues with Dubi holding out nor would I have an issue with Stepan if he held out. Not my career. Not my place to comment.

Get the best deal u can kid. Because the Rangers are trying foryhe best deal they can make as well .

Old
08-10-2013, 09:33 AM
OverTheCap

I see the Stepan backlash is already starting. Same thing happened with Dubi and Staal and, in the end, a deal got done. It's a business, no need to get emotional over it.

Old
08-10-2013, 10:05 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers and Blues like the 2 year contract for players coming out of their ELC without arbitration rights. Staal was lone exception. Pietroangelo will be the Blues exception. MTL has become one of those teams too with the Subban and Eller contracts. The Rangers would probably prefer to sign Stepan long term but they don't have the space and aren't willing to move a player to make space. The indications were that Stepan and McD would get long term contracts. The high side is Couture at $2.875M for someone like Stepan.
Other teams should be following the Rangers, Blues and Canadiens example when it comes to bridge deals.

Only exceptional players should skip the bridge contract. Derek Stepan has been exceptional for half a season. His other two seasons his production while developing was that of a 2nd/3rd line center his rookie season and a second line center his sophmore season.

Hopefully they can come to terms on a 2 or 3 year bridge deal comparable to Claude Giroux's.

Old
08-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Other teams should be following the Rangers, Blues and Canadiens example when it comes to bridge deals.

Only exceptional players should skip the bridge contract. Derek Stepan has been exceptional for half a season. His other two seasons his production while developing was that of a 2nd/3rd line center his rookie season and a second line center his sophmore season.

?Hopefully they can come to terms on a 2 or 3 year bridge deal comparable to Claude Giroux's.
Agree, and think that will be the outcome. Teams have to stack expiring contracts so they dont get caught with too many or too few in any given year. Something that we didnt do recently this year (too many) and next (too few to date). If youre a competitve team and have a dedent core, you probably would like to go into every off season with about 15-17 contracts representing obvious first team players.

Old
08-10-2013, 06:35 PM
NYR2007

vCash: 50
Anyone else feel that this years team is not gonna be good ?

I hope it's not the case but if you think about the line up, we are gonna to need guys to have career years to be good. I feel this team is gonna be battling for a playoff spot the last week and first round elimation.

The only way this changes is if Kredier comes out and scores 30 goals

Old
08-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post

I hope it's not the case but if you think about the line up, we are gonna to need guys to have career years to be good. I feel this team is gonna be battling for a playoff spot the last week and first round elimation.

Why wouldn't we be at worst the same as last year when we finished 6th?.. The defense is the same, we still have Hank, the young guys have more experience, and the bottom 6 is improved.

Old
08-10-2013, 06:47 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

If Staal stays healthy I'm feelin a similar finish to last year. Hank will be Hank which always gives us a fighting chance

Old
08-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

better coach*, more adaptable system, we're better on defense than we were last year especially if Staal stays healthy. There's more balance to the offense and Richards is going to be healthy.

Old
08-10-2013, 07:24 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:

No, I'm fairly confident that a team with a defense of Staal/McDonagh/Girardi/Del Zotto/Stralman/Moore and the goaltendibg of Lundqvist is comfortably a playoff team. No, the forwards are not as good as Pittsburgh's or Boston's, but the team now has the depth to roll four good lines that can produce.

Every time I enter this thread is gives me a headache. People really love to berate the team and poise their overly negative opinions as fact (not pointed at you, I think those people know who they are).

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
08-10-2013, 08:14 PM
NYR2007

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
No, I'm fairly confident that a team with a defense of Staal/McDonagh/Girardi/Del Zotto/Stralman/Moore and the goaltendibg of Lundqvist is comfortably a playoff team. No, the forwards are not as good as Pittsburgh's or Boston's, but the team now has the depth to roll four good lines that can produce.

Every time I enter this thread is gives me a headache. People really love to berate the team and poise their overly negative opinions as fact (not pointed at you, I think those people know who they are).
I understand where you are coming from. But what are the chances this team doesn't sustain an injury to that D-Core? We have been extremely lucky in the past with injuries.

Of course we can play this game all day with hypothetical situations. But this team reminds me a lot of when we really just had gabby (Nash) to do the scoring. The team has a lot of question marks, Is Richards going to bounce back ? Is Krieder gonna finally put it all together ? Is the bottom 6 really improved? Will Stephen be that first line center? and the most important " Will this coaching change really benefit this team?"

Most of you guys are convinced we will have the same results if not better with this coaching change but their is just as much of a chance of this not working or the players not adjusting correctly right away.

Listen i hope I'm wrong but ill stay optimistic, But i don't want us to lose again in the first or second round

Old
08-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Why wouldn't we be at worst the same as last year when we finished 6th?.. The defense is the same, we still have Hank, the young guys have more experience, and the bottom 6 is improved.
Im not sure about the toughness of our forwards and even our D. I feel we are soft as butter. I feel like we could get stomped on in the palyoffs

Old
08-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

If only Kreider, Pyatt, Boyle could play to their size.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

I think it's a little ridiculous to think we're worse off next year. We have a much better coach, hopefully better feelings in the locker room, a MUCH better defense (Having Moore a full season and Staal back is astronomical). Our scoring depth is EONS better than the start of last year (lol Jeff Halpern). If Kreider starts to score and Richards rebounds, I see this team having a great year.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
If only Kreider, Pyatt, Boyle could play to their size.
kreider can, i honestly feel he has to be in a better environment. it wasnt fair for him coming to a team with a coach who alredy had it out for him because he watched a few whale games. who was it seidenberg who kreider annihilated? the kid can use his size and speed, i just think that he has to be in a system where he wont get benched for the tinniest defensive mistake. he looked timid and kept playing it safe. everytime he got the puck he would skate to the red line and dump it in. that isnt kreiders game but it was what he had to do to avoid being benched. torts told him to play like hags, that is not kreiders game at all.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous View Post
Im not sure about the toughness of our forwards and even our D. I feel we are soft as butter. I feel like we could get stomped on in the palyoffs
I think we have more size this year though. Kreider seemed to play to his size against Boston (lets hope that continues), Pouilot will add some size, Falk will add some size, still got Nash, Callahan and Hagelin both play tougher than their size, Dorsett a full season. I think we have alot more than we did last year.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
kreider can, i honestly feel he has to be in a better environment. it wasnt fair for him coming to a team with a coach who alredy had it out for him because he watched a few whale games. who was it seidenberg who kreider annihilated? the kid can use his size and speed, i just think that he has to be in a system where he wont get benched for the tinniest defensive mistake. he looked timid and kept playing it safe. everytime he got the puck he would skate to the red line and dump it in. that isnt kreiders game but it was what he had to do to avoid being benched. torts told him to play like hags, that is not kreiders game at all.
Kreider had like 10 big hits in the playoffs, I still remember him annihilating Hendricks.....a guy I wouldn't even consider hitting. Kid's got balls. I think he can be great with his physical play.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyhauntswizards View Post
Kreider had like 10 big hits in the playoffs, I still remember him annihilating Hendricks.....a guy I wouldn't even consider hitting. Kid's got balls. I think he can be great with his physical play.
Didn't he also drill Sidenburg? or it was someone on the Bruins D.

Old
08-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:
Didn't he also drill Sidenburg? or it was someone on the Bruins D.
he knocked down Chara and blasted Seidenberg 3x on one shift.

Old
08-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Lundsanity30

The only thing I ask from Kreider this season, is to play like he did against Boston in the playoffs, play with that intensity, play with that fire.

Old
08-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
The only thing I ask from Kreider this season, is to play like he did against Boston in the playoffs, play with that intensity, play with that fire.
He definitely needs to be more engaged. It seemed like when he got more playing time, it helped him get more involved.

08-10-2013, 09:24 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

How bout 2012 playoff Kreider? I'd like that Kreider please

Old
08-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
How bout 2012 playoff Kreider? I'd like that Kreider please
nahhhh that Kreider turned the puck over a LOT and didn't score enough to justify it. I liked the Kreider we saw in the Bruins series.

Old
08-10-2013, 09:37 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyhauntswizards View Post
nahhhh that Kreider turned the puck over a LOT and didn't score enough to justify it. I liked the Kreider we saw in the Bruins series.
Agreed. Finally playing with the confidence and sense of purpose that we've all been waiting for.

Old
08-10-2013, 09:47 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from. But what are the chances this team doesn't sustain an injury to that D-Core? We have been extremely lucky in the past with injuries.

Of course we can play this game all day with hypothetical situations. But this team reminds me a lot of when we really just had gabby (Nash) to do the scoring. The team has a lot of question marks, Is Richards going to bounce back ? Is Krieder gonna finally put it all together ? Is the bottom 6 really improved? Will Stephen be that first line center? and the most important " Will this coaching change really benefit this team?"

Most of you guys are convinced we will have the same results if not better with this coaching change but their is just as much of a chance of this not working or the players not adjusting correctly right away.

Listen i hope I'm wrong but ill stay optimistic, But i don't want us to lose again in the first or second round
Not likely that everything that can go wrong will go wrong. Personally I don't think Richards is going to be any better but I expect more from Kreider. Whether he picks up big numbers is another thing. I expect he'll contribute more though.

The past two seasons the Rangers have had Marc Staal who was arguably their best d-man out for long stretches and survived--still one of the better defensive teams.

The Rangers overall top end talent at forward didn't improve but they've got a lot deeper on the bottom end. Better players. Yeah--they improved. Going into last season--Boyle, Pyatt, Halpern, Asham, Rupp--then traded for Powe. These guys did not contribute anywhere near enough--some didn't contribute anything at all. Looking at momentum swings--when you have a weak bottom 6 then your top 6 are constantly trying to regain momentum. I'm very encouraged that the Rangers this year should be able to roll 4 lines and do well and the more your bottom lines contribute the easier it is for your top lines to play at their best.

As for Stepan--Brassard--they are not elite players. For that matter though the Eastern Conference Champion Bruins team have Bergeron--Krejci. Very good players--not elite either. Stepan reminds me a bit of Bergeron--though not as good at face-offs or as quick a skater. Brassard led the team in playoff scoring.

Closed Thread