HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

At season's end, which one to keep?

View Poll Results: At end of season, do you keep Markov or Diaz?
Markov, we need his experience in a young D-squad 54 61.36%
Diaz, poor man Markov on a budget 16 18.18%
Neither, Beaulieu is the one to insert in the lineup 18 20.45%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

vCash: 500
If Bergevin thinks that the Habs are a Stanley Cup contender in the next 3 years he should keep Markov. If he believes it's not the case, than he should trade Markov at the trade deadline for a 1st round pick+ a prospect (the same return than the Rivet trade).

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 09:15 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Always trying to trade Markov....ugh.
Last year of his contract, it may happen.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 09:16 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
Last year of his contract, it may happen.
If we're a few spots out of the playoffs, sure.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 09:21 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
...so??...as a Habs fan that's older than Markov, I also think we may have to trade him at the deadline if he's lost another step and Beaulieu proves ready to make the jump into our Top 4...trades happen, amigo...
I get that. But to a rational mind it is not a cut and dried scenario.

Too many factors to say yes or no definitively. If he is fit and healthy, which he managed for a whole season, he is still providing ridiculously good value, leadership and mentoring.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If we're a few spots out of the playoffs, sure.
Even if we are in a playoff spot, the decision to keep or not a player should only be made on this base: are we a real Stanley Cup contender or not ? There is no trophy for the team who lose in the first two rounds.

Gionta should be trade this year no matter what and Markov should be re-sign or trade before the trade deadline. Losing a good asset for nothing like we just did with Ryder is just stupid and bad management.

Old
08-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
Even if we are in a playoff spot, the decision to keep or not a player should only be made on this base: are we a real Stanley Cup contender or not ? There is no trophy for the team who lose in the first two rounds.

Gionta should be trade this year no matter what and Markov should be re-sign or trade before the trade deadline. Losing a good asset for nothing like we just did with Ryder is just stupid and bad management.
There's no fans for teams who don't even try to win.

Ezpz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
There's no fans for teams who don't even try to win.
I can't recall a Stanley Cup winner who was not either among the Stanley Cup contender at the start of the season or at the start of the playoff. Can you ?

Bergevin himself was not enough confident in his team to make a move at the trade deadline. He knew his team was just not good enough to sacrifice pick and prospect for some veteran.

If you are not enough confident to make a push for the Stanley Cup than you should probably trade the veteran who are not in the team plan anymore or the veteran that will be too old and not productive when your team will be a Stanley cup contender.

Old
08-11-2013, 07:48 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:

This isn't realistic at all. The fanbase would flip the **** out if we went around trading vets at the deadline in a playoff position.

Old
08-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
This isn't realistic at all. The fanbase would flip the **** out if we went around trading vets at the deadline in a playoff position.
The Rivet trade was probably one of the best Habs trade of the decade and was made in this context.

You re-sign the vets that you believe that they still can help the team and you trade the others, especially if you are not a real Stanley Cup contender.

If the Habs keep losing key asset for nothing ( Souray, Komisarek, Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Streit, Ribeiro, Mcdonaugh, Higgins, Sergei Kostitsyn, Grabovski and Ryder) for nothing the team will never go to the next level and will remain a buble playoff team with no real shot to the Stanley Cup. Like i said before, there is no trophy for the teams who lost in the first three rounds of the playoff.

Old
08-11-2013, 09:27 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
You re-sign the vets that you believe that they still can help the team and you trade the others, especially if you are not a real Stanley Cup contender.

If the Habs keep losing key asset for nothing ( Souray, Komisarek, Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Streit, Ribeiro, Mcdonaugh, Higgins, Sergei Kostitsyn, Grabovski and Ryder) for nothing the team will never go to the next level and will remain a buble playoff team with no real shot to the Stanley Cup. Like i said before, there is no trophy for the teams who lost in the first three rounds of the playoff.
I'm not saying that there is, but look around the league and discover that little to no teams do this.

Old
08-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Delete

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
I'm not saying that there is, but look around the league and discover that little to no teams do this.
I understand that's not a popular move. Not many team have the same budget and the same support by the fans. Also Bergevin is not a big believer of the UFA market and tries to build the team from the draft. The more draft pick we get, the better it is for Bergevin plan.

Also, if we trade Gionta at the trade deadline for a second round draft pick + a prospect, i dont think that will hurt the team in the playoff. He is not the difference between a Stanley Cup and a first round exit.

Old
08-11-2013, 02:27 PM
larrypacman8167

to be honest i like diaz at this point; younger, cheaper, good shot selection that's always on net, and good vision to feed subban the deadly one-timers on pp. That being said i'd like markov to retire as a hab for a decent price.. so why not keep both(if reasonable)

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 06:40 PM
sharks9

It depends on the salary and term he wants but if he can keep putting up points like he did this year I would definitely want to keep Markov.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 07:24 PM
MaxLacoste

IMO, Markov will be very effective as a bottom pairing D. He got the IQ and the experience, what you want in a aging D-Men. I think he could be a excellent teacher for our young D, because he always was excellent (boderline elite) both at offense and defense. Trade Diaz instead.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:33 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
...so??...as a Habs fan that's older than Markov, I also think we may have to trade him at the deadline if he's lost another step and Beaulieu proves ready to make the jump into our Top 4...trades happen, amigo...
It will take a minor miracle for Beaulieu to be ready to provide even half of what Markov does for the Habs.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Sorinth

Quote:

If you trade away every potential UFA because you are not yet a "real" contender then you will never become a contender. Unless you're starting from scratch you should build incrementally and only trade/let go veterans when someone younger/better has replaced them and there's no longer any room for them.

Markov has shown this team loyalty in the past and with all he's been through the last few years there's no reason to think he'll bolt via UFA if he's not signed by trade deadline. So long as we make a reasonable offer he'll sign.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 08:06 AM
mrinsane

Sign Diaz for 3yrs and Markov for 1yr at 3m$

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Exactly. Winning teams need a strong balance of skills. A healthy Diaz and Markov give us some much-needed passing/PP/transition skills, plus Diaz is becoming a very good shooter.

Habs could go from 'good' to 'great' D with a bigger presence around our own net, which is an easier fix than finding a defenceman with Diaz's skills.
Having Subban, Markov, Diaz is a luxury few teams have. All that puck movement was a big reason for us being such an offensive force last season so we shouldn't definitely try to keep both. That being said Diaz will quite possibly price himself out of our budget. I'm not sure I want to spend 3-4m on a guy who will be on the bottom pairing 5v5 and 2nd PP wave. And letting Markov go for Diaz would be a mistake.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote