Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Problem Solved!

Old
11-03-2006, 10:52 AM
boarderex

vCash: 500
Problem Solved!

I have found the solution to ALL of the Flames problems!!!

Here are the two key moves:

- Trade a DP to PHO for Pavel Brendl!!! Remember when he played for the Hitmen? Definitely a natural goal scorer! (success in Jr always equals success in the NHL right!?)

- Pick up Petr Nedved from Philly's farm team. If it werent for his salary it wouldn't hurt adding a center to compete for a job with the current guys.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Obviously this is just to stir things up but I had been thinking that it would be interesting to see Brendl in the new NHL. As I recall he had tremendous skill with the puck but would do anything he could to avoid having to go get the puck himself. Think he would be able to perform given some more space in the new NHL???

On the Nedved part... might have to compete with pheonix for this pick up to go along side Roenick and Nolan but if he were the type of guy to respond to a challenge it could potentially pay off for a team willing to take a gamble(probably in a pre salary cap era though)

boarderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Two more lazy players for a team whose main problem is a lack of effort? Brilliant!

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 11:30 AM
flamingmoe

we could always get those 2 to work P/T for the city...they'd fit right in!

flamingmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Harry

Brendl has a terrible attitude and is really lazy. He has no heart. He will only make the flames worse.

Nedved is done.

Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 11:57 AM
boarderex

At least the whole team would be on the same page.

Old
11-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderex View Post

- Trade a DP to PHO for Pavel Brendl!!! Remember when he played for the Hitmen? Definitely a natural goal scorer! (success in Jr always equals success in the NHL right!?)

- Pick up Petr Nedved from Philly's farm team. If it werent for his salary it wouldn't hurt adding a center to compete for a job with the current guys.
Brendl and Nedved? ha ha... I hope Flames PK is good because Nedved and Brendl will have reserved sits in the penalty box. You have no idea what you are asking for.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

the solution to the flames problems is.........well im not sure what the solution is.
i'd imagine...get more skilled players..because now a days it seems hard work heart and grit cant do it alone.....your collection of lunchbox bluecollar guys simply dont have it.....and it shows because your last in the division. Big trade ...shake things up....with kipper and DP the only ones non tradeable......

Popcorn_Shrimp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 01:49 PM
abracanada

Boy the suggestion that the Flames have no skilled players is hilarious. I can't tell you how many teams would be lining up for the established, well known talent alone. Iginla, Tanguay, Phaneuf, Regehr, Kipper. (Does TO have that many top line players?) All those guys would get serious consideration for their Olympic team. And then, the second tier players who are breaking out. Lombardi, Langkow, Kobasew, Huselius, Ference.

There is all kinds of talent. The Flames are a team stuck between being a scoring team and a defensive team. Being a Sutter team or a Playfair team. And they have been undisciplined. They take a lot of penalties. For all of these talented players to gel, they can't be in a desperation mode all of the time. Constant penalties puts you in a desperation mode. Playing from behind puts you in the desperation mode. Playing in the desperation mode, means you have to play your best defensive players consistently, and it cuts into the ice time of youngsters like Lombardi or Kobasew.
That is the reason you see Amonte getting more ice time than Kobasew or Huselius on a regular basis. People keep grumbling about Playfair not giving Kobasew more ice time. If they would only stay out of the penalty box, that would help.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 08:28 PM
boarderex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Brendl and Nedved? ha ha... I hope Flames PK is good because Nedved and Brendl will have reserved sits in the penalty box. You have no idea what you are asking for.
For those who missed the sarcasm... well read it again slowly and I'm sure you will find it. Sometimes reading it out loud in different voices can help.

Old
11-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by polish_flyboi View Post
the solution to the flames problems is.........well im not sure what the solution is.
i'd imagine...get more skilled players..because now a days it seems hard work heart and grit cant do it alone.....your collection of lunchbox bluecollar guys simply dont have it.....and it shows because your last in the division. Big trade ...shake things up....with kipper and DP the only ones non tradeable......
Have you even watched the Flames so far this year? "Lunchbox" is the LAST word I'd use to describe them.

Don't people get that the Flames of 2003-04 and the Flames of the present day are two very different hockey teams? We hardly have any grit anymore.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:31 PM
abracanada

HNIC they mentioned a Forsberg rumor. Would that be skilled enough for everybody?

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:57 PM
The_Dominator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
HNIC they mentioned a Forsberg rumor. Would that be skilled enough for everybody?
Yeah, Forsberg for Phaneuf/Iginla straight up.

The_Dominator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 12:12 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderex View Post
I have found the solution to ALL of the Flames problems!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Obviously this is just to stir things up but I had been thinking that it would be interesting to see Brendl in the new NHL. As I recall he had tremendous skill with the puck but would do anything he could to avoid having to go get the puck himself. Think he would be able to perform given some more space in the new NHL???

On the Nedved part... might have to compete with pheonix for this pick up to go along side Roenick and Nolan but if he were the type of guy to respond to a challenge it could potentially pay off for a team willing to take a gamble(probably in a pre salary cap era though)
you can have Nedved for free, hell I would pay the plane ticket from Philly to Calgary, first class

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 01:31 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
you can have Nedved for free, hell I would pay the plane ticket from Philly to Calgary, first class
The only way I want Nedved back in Calgary is if he agrees to start flipping pizza's again.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 02:10 AM
skunt

The chances of Sutter going after a play like Brendl are pretty low. With that said, he is playing very well in Sweden.

19-16-6-22

10 points up on #2 on his team. I wonder if he'll get another chance in the NHL next season?

skunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
I only want Brendl if Vancouver lets us have Brad Moran.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 11:39 AM
boarderex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I only want Brendl if Vancouver lets us have Brad Moran.
Ok, I am going out on a limb for the sake of coming up with something original. I like that(seriously, not kidding). Almost every proposal made here is BS anyway, so why not try to come up with someone original.

Just for fun lets work with this.... In 03/04 Moran played 2 games with the Blue Jackets and had 2 points. In 04/05 Moran actually had 72 pts in 80 games with Syracuse. Last year he only played 18 games in the Swiss league and had 8 points.

Brendl had 8 points in 18 games in 03/04 with Carolina and if you look at his "career NHL stats" he is actually +1 in 78 games with 22 points. That is far better than I would have thought (actually +'ve!!). This year he has 22 pts in 19 games in Sweden (and yes 2nd leading scorer has only 12 points).

For reference.... Lundmark is -12 in 174 games with 61 total points.

Call me crazy but I dont think the Moran and Brendl thing would be such a bad idea. Given the points they put up in Jr. and some of these stats I wouldn't hesitate to put those two guys in the line up to fill the 4th line or atleast get some ice time together on the farm. If they clicked in the new NHL it could be an unbelievable bargain for a line that can put the puck in the net. If not... well I can't imagine they would do anything but make the farm team better. It isn't like there would be any significant money on the line.

Now before you roast me, remember this is just for fun, but think about it. Neither player would require much to get. Moran has almost zero NHL experience but he is known well around these parts.

Old
11-05-2006, 05:12 PM
skunt

One thing to consider is that Kristian Huselius is a superstar scorer in the SEL, and only a marginal one in the NHL. Brendl's performance in Sweden might have more to do with the style of play over there than anything else.

I would still take a chance on him though. He could probably help out on the PP.

skunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 06:06 PM
BenThatcher

Pavel Brendl? Get serious. Oleg Saprykin couldn't cut it under Sutter and you guys expect Brendl to succeed?

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 06:24 PM
boarderex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThatcher View Post
Pavel Brendl? Get serious. Oleg Saprykin couldn't cut it under Sutter and you guys expect Brendl to succeed?
Well Sapykin might be the worst skater in the history of pro hockey and I wouldnt expect Huselius to last with Sutter and yet he has some how. Not to mention Sutter isn't even the coach now.

The question is really who would you rather have on the 4th line? Someone like Lundmark or Brendl? Considering it would only take a box of Timbits to get Brendl I don't see how you could really go wrong. Even if Moran and Brendl were able to produce at 25% of what they did in Jr. they would still be competing with the 2nd line and at 10% they would still improve the 4th line.

Never gonna happen but it sure would be fun to try.

Old
11-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Milpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Have you even watched the Flames so far this year? "Lunchbox" is the LAST word I'd use to describe them.

Don't people get that the Flames of 2003-04 and the Flames of the present day are two very different hockey teams? We hardly have any grit anymore.
Exactly. Where this "lack of talent" bullcrap comes from is beyond me. Teams like, say, Buffalo, who have arguably the best forwards in the NHL, are where they are because they give the effort.

Milpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Lunatik*

yeah the fans seem to care more about whats happening than the players themselves

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Phaneuf333

No Thanks

Phaneuf333 is offline   Reply With Quote