HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Gustav Possler, RW – 130th Overall, 2013

Old
08-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Mrpm

vCash: 500
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...ure%3Dyoutu.be

Possler was one of the best if not the very best player on the ice tonight. Two assists and one goal in Swedens 4-3 win, as you can see in the video.

Mrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOats View Post
On a side note, I'm not overly impressed by Compher. He looks strange on his skates and in his equipment, and his frame looks rather slight. Not sure he'll ever carry more than 185 unless he gets adopted by the Wolverine football team. Seems like a Roy/Kaleta hybrid that may get stuck in the middle. The player Montreal selected with the pick prior, Jacob De La Rose, was far more impressive physically and skill-wise. Just my two cents.
Compher was probably the best USA forward I'm not sure what more you want. He's not a sniper but you can't teach his hockey sense it's through the roof. He just reads the play so much better and easier than other forwards at his age level that it's almost unfair.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

This kid intrigues me more than anyone we drafted this year. I said as much hours after the draft, which prompted a few people to call me crazy (or some variant). I still stand by that statement.

To say he intrigues me the most doesn't mean I think he'll be the best player from the draft, has the highest ceiling, or will even make the NHL. It does mean he's totally unpredictable, though, and a potential diamond in the rough. You know what you're going to get in a guy like Ristolainen...and it's going to be good. That's what you usually get with a safe top 10 pick. With Possler, it could be anything from a non-entity to a top six sniper.

When I had heard that Detroit liked him in the 5th round, I figured the Sabres could have been onto a gem (after all, who is better than the Wings at pulling obscure Euros out of the later rounds?)...

Only time will tell if this kid pans out, but I'm along for the journey and totally vested.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Sabre the Win
Prayin' for Reinhart

Sports columnist from hockeybuzz.com has been talking about Possler at the WJC's and had nothing but good things to say about this kid and I quote.

Quote:
Swedish forward and Sabres 2013 draft choice Gustav Possler (5th round) proved a lot of hockey "know-it-alls" wrong in Lake Placid. Credit the Sabres for grabbing this kid when they did. I'm wondering why he wasn't selected in the second or third rounds of the NHL draft. He's an exceptional skater with buttery soft hands. he loves to compete for pucks and rarely gets caught out of position. He'll look good in Rochester in 2014-15. For now, he'll head home to Sweden and play for his club team in Modo.

Possler played a polished and competitive brand of hockey. In 5 games played, he tallied 2 goals and 2 assists.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH...8#.UgfFlpIp_vk

Sabre the Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 12:41 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
Sports columnist from hockeybuzz.com has been talking about Possler at the WJC's and had nothing but good things to say about this kid and I quote.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH...8#.UgfFlpIp_vk
Great choice in the 5th round, kudos to Devine and our Swedish scout for finding this kid and grabbing him.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 12:50 PM
cybresabre
Registred usre

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
"He'll look good in Rochester in 2014-15."
Is Garth right about this?

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 02:01 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
"He'll look good in Rochester in 2014-15."
Is Garth right about this?
He turns 19 in November

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
But with the new European rules, they have more time with Possler than they have in the past. There is no rush unless he's shown he is ready. Let him braise in the SEL, don't server until he's done slow cooking.

08-11-2013, 03:45 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
But with the new European rules, they have more time with Possler than they have in the past. There is no rush unless he's shown he is ready. Let him braise in the SEL, don't server until he's done slow cooking.
What are the new rules?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 05:54 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
What are the new rules?
I'm pretty sure Chain was referencing the number of years teams hold the rights to their European draftees before losing them if they can't get them signed.

If I recall correctly, it used to be two. It's four now.

Edit: It is four... http://www.lawinsport.com/articles/e...nal-ice-hockey

Quote:
European players and agents understand that section 8.6(a) of the NHL CBA entitles Clubs, who draft a player from a North American league, a substantially smaller exclusivity window. This window lasts for a maximum of two years. Further the NHL club must provide a “Bona Fide Offer” to the player in order to enjoy the second year of the window.

Therefore, if a European Player moves to the United States or Canada to play junior hockey, the NHL clubs are required to sign the player to a contract within a two year window; whereas, if the same player were to remain in Europe for his junior hockey, the NHL clubs would not have to extend a contract for up to four years.

Illustrating this further is the case of Gabriel Landeskog who started playing junior hockey in the J20 (under 20 years old) SuperElit league in Sweden. After a year on the junior team Landeskog was promoted to the Elitserien, the top tier league in Sweden, where he played for Djurgardens IF at the age of sixteen. After a season in the Elitserien, Landeskog left Sweden for the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), a junior league in Canada. Landeskog played for the Kitchener Rangers of the OHL for two years until he turned the age of 18 and was eligible for the NHL draft. In 2011, Landeskog was drafted 2nd overall by the Colorado Avalanche.

If Landeskog was drafted under the current CBA rules, the Avalanche would enjoy the exclusive rights to Landeskog for a maximum of two years. This is due to the fact that Landeskog left Sweden for the OHL before he entered the draft. However, if Landeskog remained in Sweden, the Avalanche would enjoy a four-year window to sign him.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
I'm pretty sure Chain was referencing the number of years teams hold the rights to their European draftees before losing them if they can't get them signed.

If I recall correctly, it used to be two. It's four now.

Edit: It is four... http://www.lawinsport.com/articles/e...nal-ice-hockey
Yep, that's precisely it. They can let him perculate a lot longer before signing him to an ELC if they so choose. It certainly gives them their old stash option back and there really isn't a pressing need to put him into the Amerks lineup as soon as next year unless he's shown to be ready with his play this season.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 07:02 PM
joshjull

Thanks for the info guys

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 09:52 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

That's so awesome that we have him in control for four years, who knows what he could do in those extra two years.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Sabre the Win
Prayin' for Reinhart

This is one prospect I'm starting to get excited for.

Sabre the Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Jacob582

Just remembered that we drafted Possler with the pick we got for Brennan.

Florida ended up with a rental. Hopefully the Sabres have a diamond in the rough.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...valuation-camp

Pronman named Possler as one of the standouts of the WJC camps.

Quote:
Possler went a little under the radar in this past NHL draft. He was with the Swedish under-18s two years ago, but didn't play at the WJC last season. Buffalo picked him in the fifth round, and it may end up being a good value pick. Possler played on the top line for Sweden at the camp and arguably was the main contributor of that unit.

"He's played really, really well. He's exceeded the expectations of everyone. He's not only a scorer and setting up plays for other players, but he's backchecking, he's blocking shots," said Grönborg. Possler will likely play a premier role for Sweden at the World Juniors and with his speed, skill and improving defensive game could have a good tournament.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Mrpm

Possler scored again and was named Modos best player against Frölunda. 3+1 in the 3 latest games. Kid is tearing it up in SHL! They have played 5 games if you didn't know, so 3+1 in 5. Also been Modos best FW so far and getting TOI in both PP and BP.

Mrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Great to hear.

Tim Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:08 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpm View Post
Possler scored again and was named Modos best player against Frölunda. 3+1 in the 3 latest games. Kid is tearing it up in SHL! They have played 5 games if you didn't know, so 3+1 in 5. Also been Modos best FW so far and getting TOI in both PP and BP.
Power Play and Blood Pressure?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Nice to read. I had Possler ranked 15 or 16 in our prospect rankings based solely on his raw potential. If he can find his scoring touch many expected him to find last year, he could be the steal of the draft. Top-6 potential. He has a lonnnggg way to go, though. Hopefully he continues to develop.

Dubi Doo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Power Play and Blood Pressure?
"Box Play" = Swedish for "Penalty Kill"

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Might I add that "Gustav Possler" is for some reason just an awesome name in my mind

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:47 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He turns 19 in November
Doesn't matter if he's under 20, he was drafted out of Europe

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Doesn't matter if he's under 20, he was drafted out of Europe
If I am not mistaken cant players be drafted from europe by the CHL in their import draft? thus all that really matter is if a CHL team owns his rights which would prevent him from playing in the AHL.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
If I am not mistaken cant players be drafted from europe by the CHL in their import draft? thus all that really matter is if a CHL team owns his rights which would prevent him from playing in the AHL.
No, it doesn't matter if a team holds a player's CHL rights unless he was drafted out of the CHL

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote