HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather Speaks

Old
08-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
Sather Speaks

Yesterday, Sather was on Edmonton radio with Bob Stouffer on the anniversary of Gretzky's sale to LA. Some interesting stuff on that, but I'll post the stuff relevant to Rangers fans. Full transcript linked at the bottom.

On if it would have been different if Dolan owned the Oilers:

Quote:
I’m sure it would have been. There are two different kinds of owners. There are people who own a hockey team because they want to win and be successful and there are guys who just want to make money. I think Darryl Katz is just like Dolan….they want to win, they don’t want to lose much money but they want to win. Today in the NHL, lets face it, with the cap situation we are all pretty much in the same place but there are other things that you can do to make your organization better. I think Darryl and Dolan are the same in that way…they want to win. They are not necessarily concerned about the bottom line, it’s about winning.
On whether you can buy a winner today:

Quote:
You need a combo, but your core players need to be drafted. You need a young group that can grow up together…it’s tricky in a cap world, the way it is today….you need to go with the drafting. When I first got to New York we had a team that was loaded with a lot of problems and it takes time to get rid of those problems and you need to spend to get the assets and drafted players that you do need. It took a little while to dismantle that team and get some assets that were tradeable and we had the money to get them. I think we are in the situation today where we are very competitive, the youth we have, we have some good prospects. It doesn’t mean you are going to win….we thought we were gonna be in the finals last year, but we ran into tough injuries and it took a toll on our team. Sometimes you get beat up pretty bad and things are so competitive today.

Nothing groundbreaking but it's interesting to hear Sather talk about the mess he inherited when he took the job and how long it took to righten the ship. If he's honest with himself, he would admit he didn't start the process soon enough. But he alludes to the idea that they signed big name guys just to acquire tradeable assets (if they didn't work out on the ice). Because they didn't have prospects of any value. I never looked at it that way. Also, with regards to expectations last year (Finals or bust), he talks about injuries derailing the team. Probably referring to, without mentioning directly, Callahan Hagelin and Staal.

Full Transcript

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Lundsanity30

while he wasnt great, missing Clowe didn't help. Then we lost Stralsy for the last two games, Staal the whole playoffs on top of cally, and Hags also being injured

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 10:52 AM
broadwayblue

Yeah, Staal would have been huge. McDonagh and Girardi were pretty worn out.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 11:51 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Knows Best View Post
Well said, well said....

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Unless you're allergic.

Old
08-11-2013, 12:37 PM
eco's bones

This is why I would never trust a politician's memoirs. This is almost exactly the same. Counts on people's short memories or not enough memory to explain away things. As if it was all the previous regime's fault for his first 5 years of nothing but the same old problems here. Going into UFA season with an open check book to buy up every mercenary looking for a retirement paycheck. Smith was not doing all that good of a job with the prospects by the time he was fired. Sather then for 5 years did absolutely nothing to improve that situation--if anything he was worse. And his coaching ****ing decisions before Tom Renney---P ****ing U. If it weren't for the lockout I'm afraid that the Rangers might still be on the outside every playoffs looking in just about every season. What the cap did for the Rangers was it forced them to start building a real organization of young players instead of old has beens. Sather until that lockout season belonged to the old has been club.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 12:43 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
Well said, well said....
Not really. Injuries play a factor, a large one. Look at the health of the last few cup winners. It's near perfect. None of them were missing top pairing defenseman or had three of their top-6 wingers severely injured.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
This is why I would never trust a politician's memoirs. This is almost exactly the same. Counts on people's short memories or not enough memory to explain away things. As if it was all the previous regime's fault for his first 5 years of nothing but the same old problems here. Going into UFA season with an open check book to buy up every mercenary looking for a retirement paycheck. Smith was not doing all that good of a job with the prospects by the time he was fired. Sather then for 5 years did absolutely nothing to improve that situation--if anything he was worse. And his coaching ****ing decisions before Tom Renney---P ****ing U. If it weren't for the lockout I'm afraid that the Rangers might still be on the outside every playoffs looking in just about every season. What the cap did for the Rangers was it forced them to start building a real organization of young players instead of old has beens. Sather until that lockout season belonged to the old has been club.
Very well said.

I call ******** on Sather here. The only reason he was forced to build through the draft is because of the institution of the salary cap. Without the cap, we're probably the ones that would have given Kovalchuk, for example, that outlandish contract.

Signing free agents to have tradable assets. Come on, that's insulting to us fans that pay attention. Slats said it himself, he's under pressure from Dolan to win and ice the most competitive team possible. Who did we sign only to trade them away later as a tradable asset? Gaborik maybe, but he gave us three good years and he was a cap casualty.

We could do worse than Sather at the helm, but boy, there's a reason I didn't really follow this team religiously as I do now until after the first lockout.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Unless you're allergic.
Or understand that candies and nuts are totally lame presents.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

He's said that BS so many times he not only thinks we believe it, but he's deluded himself into believing it too.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 04:21 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Gerald View Post
Or understand that candies and nuts are totally lame presents.
"Teflon GM" (!!!) luvr

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
"Teflon GM" (!!!) luvr
Candy hater

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 04:49 PM
NickyFotiu

5 years is kind of misleading. It was 4 seasons. Slats took over a team that had missed the playoffs 3 straight years. The team had a empty farm system. Then they missed the playoffs 4 more seasons. Before the lockout Slats traded plenty of players for picks. Since then they have made the playoffs every season except 1.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 05:03 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Candy hater
Lies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
5 years is kind of misleading. It was 4 seasons. Slats took over a team that had missed the playoffs 3 straight years. The team had a empty farm system. Then they missed the playoffs 4 more seasons. Before the lockout Slats traded plenty of players for picks. Since then they have made the playoffs every season except 1.

Old
08-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Crease

So when the team makes the playoffs its despite him, but when they fail its because of him?

Old
08-11-2013, 05:12 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
So when the team makes the playoffs its despite him, but when they fail its because of him?
Precisely.

This man can vouch for that logic:

Old
08-11-2013, 05:31 PM
NickyFotiu

The irony of the Dolan/Gretzky trades comments is that Espo worked a deal to get Gretzky in his prime from Edmonton before the LA trade.

One time I heard Espo say Gulf and Western killed the trade because Espo was paying too much money to Edmonton. I think it was like 20 or 25 million. Another time Espo said Slats wanted too much in terms of players. I do not know which story is more accurate.

Last edited by NickyFotiu: 08-11-2013 at 05:37 PM.
NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Not really. Injuries play a factor, a large one. Look at the health of the last few cup winners. It's near perfect. None of them were missing top pairing defenseman or had three of their top-6 wingers severely injured.
I agree with this and would love to actually see this team make the playoffs without any of the top players being injured.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
The irony of the Dolan/Gretzky trades comments is that Espo worked a deal to get Gretzky in his prime from Edmonton before the LA trade.

One time I heard Espo say Gulf and Western killed the trade because Espo was paying too much money to Edmonton. I think it was like 20 or 25 million. Another time Espo said Slats wanted too much in terms of players. I do not know which story is more accurate.
It was mostly a cash deal if I remember right like granto vbk picks and 25 million .. God can you imagine that one

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
It was mostly a cash deal if I remember right like granto vbk picks and 25 million .. God can you imagine that one
Ironically, Granato ended up being dealt in a trade with direct correlation to the Rangers winning the Cup anyway.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Crease

In an interview last year, Esposito said he was prepared to send Sandstrom, Kisio and Vanbiesbrouck to Edmonton but they couldn't agree on the amount of cash to be involved.

The Rangers eventually traded Sandstrom and Granato to LA for Nicholls, who was eventually flipped to Edmonton for Messier. Makes you wonder what would have been if the Rangers and Edmonton came to an agreement on Gretzky in 1988. Do the Rangers still trade for Messier? Who goes the other way? People also forget that Beukeboom was future considerations in the Nicholls/Messier deal.

Old
08-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

As to Sather, what the hell is he talking about acquiring tradeable assets?

I mean, let's look at the reality of that for a second. The following are players that Sather brought in himself and subsequently traded before the housecleaning in 2004:

Zdeno Ciger for Matthew Barnaby
Igor Ulanov was part of the trade for Bure
Mikael Samuelsson, Joel Bouchard, Rico Fata were dealt for Kovalev
Cory Cross was part of the deal to get Anson Carter
Rem Murray, acquired in the York/Poti trade, was dealt for Dunham
Anson Carter was dealt for Jagr, before the housecleaning.

On the flip side, none of his high profile free agent signings became tradeable assets until he decided, and sold Dolan, on the idea that it was time to blow up the team. By then, he wasn't dismantling the team he came into. He was dismantling the team he created.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
That reminds me when Maloney was here.

Move you like: Thanks Maloney!

Move you dislike: Thanks Sather....

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 08:40 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
A good part of the reason the farm system was empty was that boss James Dolan who Sather ass kisses in that article pushed Neil Smith to go the free agent route--Smith has said so anyway and there's very good reason to believe him because after Neil was fired and Sather hired--nothing really changed--we continued to buy up every all star on the decline that we could--we continued to ignore the farm. It could only go on for so long--Richter and Graves had their sell by dates--and then Brian Leetch as well.The only one who seemed immune was Messier but he was about as overrated as it got after he came back from Vancouver. And sometimes I would think it was him running the team. Sather's team was collapsing all around him by the time the lockout year came around.

Now since the lockout Sather has seen the light and has gotten much better. I see no real reason at the present moment to dump him but this bit of bs he's peddling is just his own version of events and as far as I'm concerned it's revisionist history.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote