HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Damien Brunner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-12-2013, 08:38 AM
  #1
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Damien Brunner

A Swiss hockey news site writes that Damien Brunner could sign with the Preds.

Link

Would he fill a need on the team?


Last edited by Seth Lake: 08-12-2013 at 08:47 AM.
SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 08:46 AM
  #2
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
A Swiss hockey news site writes that Damien Brunner could sign with the Preds.

Link

Would he fill a need on the team?
The article is citing this blog post from a non-credentialed site and therefore is not credible. I will leave thread thread open as a place to discuss Brunner's potential impact, but am changing the title.

Here is the original blog that is cited by the Swiss site:
http://predlines.com/2013/08/10/nash...amien-brunner/

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 09:55 AM
  #3
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,504
vCash: 500
I thought he signed with NJ?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 10:32 AM
  #4
doug88
Registered User
 
doug88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
No, I don't see him playing for the Preds. He's a decent forward but his defensive play is too weak, he's a pure one-way forward and he's not involved in the defensive part of the game. That's why he wouldn't fit on a Barry Trotz team.
Plus there has been rumors that he would sign with the GSHC of the Swiss League.. Wait and see!

doug88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:12 AM
  #5
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The article is citing this blog post from a non-credentialed site and therefore is not credible. I will leave thread thread open as a place to discuss Brunner's potential impact, but am changing the title.

Here is the original blog that is cited by the Swiss site:
http://predlines.com/2013/08/10/nash...amien-brunner/
Ok did not know that the source was just a blog.

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:34 PM
  #6
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug88 View Post
No, I don't see him playing for the Preds. He's a decent forward but his defensive play is too weak, he's a pure one-way forward and he's not involved in the defensive part of the game. That's why he wouldn't fit on a Barry Trotz team.
Plus there has been rumors that he would sign with the GSHC of the Swiss League.. Wait and see!
The defensive responsibilities with the Predators falls more on the centers, not wingers. Wingers can't chase the puck all around the zone like Radulov or have huge turnovers in the neutral zone like Wilson early on.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:22 PM
  #7
AintLifeGrand
Registered User
 
AintLifeGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thrasherville, GA
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
Would love to have brunner on the team.

Brunner-Cullen-Hornqvist
Wilson- Legwand-Forsberg
Beck-Fisher-Smith
Bourque- Goose- Hendricks

Nystrom

AintLifeGrand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:28 PM
  #8
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I thought he signed with NJ?
No, and considering the financial mess the Devils are in, he's not likely to.

I would really like to see Brunner in a Preds uniform, but management seems set with what we have. I'm starting to wonder if Brunner is headed back to Europe, because nobody is talking about him. It's like he doesn't even exist after leaving the Red Wings.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:29 PM
  #9
XxPRODxX
Registered User
 
XxPRODxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Would love to have brunner on the team.

Brunner-Cullen-Hornqvist
Wilson- Legwand-Forsberg
Beck-Fisher-Smith
Bourque- Goose- Hendricks

Nystrom
Where is Stalberg

XxPRODxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:36 PM
  #10
XxPRODxX
Registered User
 
XxPRODxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Too good to be true but Id love to see Brunner here with his fellow countryman Roman Josi. But I figured we'd get Grabo before him but who knows anymore.

If Brunner came to Nashville it would look like

Wilson-Fisher-Hornqvist
Brunner-Legwand-Stalberg
Bourque-Cullen-Forseberg
Nystrom-Gaustad-Smith/Beck

Scatched: Hendrick And Smith/Beck

XxPRODxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:13 PM
  #11
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,845
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxPRODxX View Post
Too good to be true but Id love to see Brunner here with his fellow countryman Roman Josi. But I figured we'd get Grabo before him but who knows anymore.

If Brunner came to Nashville it would look like

Wilson-Fisher-Hornqvist
Brunner-Legwand-Stalberg
Bourque-Cullen-Forseberg
Nystrom-Gaustad-Smith/Beck

Scatched: Hendrick And Smith/Beck

wouldnt mind Brunner either but the truth is we are not paying Hendricks to be a scratch and you forgot Clune

plus Smith nor Beck belongs on the 4th line... Smith would be better off traded and Beck would be better off in Milwaukee

We already need to unload Spaling and if we sign another forward we will almost certainly have to unload Smith as well, and have Beck start the year in Milwaukee

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:12 AM
  #12
Pascal85
Registered User
 
Pascal85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
I dont think that anybody will pay Brunner 3 to 3.5 Million on a long term contract after only 44 NHL Games. Besides this he wants a guaranteed top 6 spot. Detroit, NJ and I guess neither the Preds are willing to pay / act like that. Since I saw him last week here in Switzerland i really think there is no "signing activity" right now in north america for him. Lets see where hes ending !

Pascal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 10:38 AM
  #13
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,845
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal85 View Post
I dont think that anybody will pay Brunner 3 to 3.5 Million on a long term contract after only 44 NHL Games. Besides this he wants a guaranteed top 6 spot. Detroit, NJ and I guess neither the Preds are willing to pay / act like that. Since I saw him last week here in Switzerland i really think there is no "signing activity" right now in north america for him. Lets see where hes ending !
If he wants to play in the NHL and make big money his best option is to sign a one or two year deal for reasonable money(2 million or so) and then prove he deserves a large contract.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
  #14
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
No, and considering the financial mess the Devils are in, he's not likely to.

I would really like to see Brunner in a Preds uniform, but management seems set with what we have. I'm starting to wonder if Brunner is headed back to Europe, because nobody is talking about him. It's like he doesn't even exist after leaving the Red Wings.
Finances may not be as much of an issue anymore.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1482497

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 06:06 PM
  #15
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Brunner scored quite some nice points for his first NHL year !!

He had a nice 26 pts in 44 games. Best Red Wing scorer in Playoffs.
but he slumped for 25 games only scoring 2 goals.

the 26pts in 44 games includes the 25games drought he went trough.
Imagine that, during his desert period, he would score at the same rate than he use to in the other periods !!
+ his improvement in defense.

Who wouldn't take him for a 3 mio / 1 year !
I bet he is worth the risk.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:26 PM
  #16
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,972
vCash: 500
But we don't have that kind of money to spend. We still have to include Forsberg against our cap, and we need a back up goalie.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:00 AM
  #17
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,845
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Brunner scored quite some nice points for his first NHL year !!

He had a nice 26 pts in 44 games. Best Red Wing scorer in Playoffs.
but he slumped for 25 games only scoring 2 goals.

the 26pts in 44 games includes the 25games drought he went trough.
Imagine that, during his desert period, he would score at the same rate than he use to in the other periods !!
+ his improvement in defense.

Who wouldn't take him for a 3 mio / 1 year !
I bet he is worth the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
But we don't have that kind of money to spend. We still have to include Forsberg against our cap, and we need a back up goalie.
we have the money (I think we are going with Hutton/Hellberg at backup as scary as it is) but what we dont have is a roster spot for a player on a one year deal. We would have to move a body out of the lineup (likely Bourque) to make room from Brunner and if he's only going to be here one year that doesnt make any sense. If we were on the verge of a Cup, maybe, but where we are as a franchise now I would much rather let Bourque or Beck have a development year than pay Brunner 3 million and watch him walk away next summer.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:57 AM
  #18
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
we have the money (I think we are going with Hutton/Hellberg at backup as scary as it is) but what we dont have is a roster spot for a player on a one year deal. We would have to move a body out of the lineup (likely Bourque) to make room from Brunner and if he's only going to be here one year that doesnt make any sense. If we were on the verge of a Cup, maybe, but where we are as a franchise now I would much rather let Bourque or Beck have a development year than pay Brunner 3 million and watch him walk away next summer.
Especially if you don't know whether the 2 goals in 25 games Brunner is actually the norm, rather than the exception.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:53 PM
  #19
torero
Registered User
 
torero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Border of lake Leman
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Especially if you don't know whether the 2 goals in 25 games Brunner is actually the norm, rather than the exception.
This is why he has an "average" of 26 pts in 44 games.

around 60%. That would be the "expected return" ... based on historical stats.
The dispersion around this "expected return" would be your hypothesis.
(I know ... we mix up pts and goals here ... the principle remains)

My point is saying that the expected dispersion is reasonably skewed upwards due to the slump.
(remember it is his firs NHL year, and he played many more games than his mates ... having played in Switzerland ... the slump was mainly due to him being out of gaz, he was "put to rest (the slump)" and was ready for the playoffs where he ended best scorer of the Red Wings ... before Zetterberg and Datsyuk)

On top of that, he had some game winning SO goals that do not count in these stats.

Whatever ... we discuss on a hockey board for our pleasure ... Poile and the others are pros and have their specialised understandings on that.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:29 AM
  #20
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
This is why he has an "average" of 26 pts in 44 games.

around 60%. That would be the "expected return" ... based on historical stats.
The dispersion around this "expected return" would be your hypothesis.
(I know ... we mix up pts and goals here ... the principle remains)

My point is saying that the expected dispersion is reasonably skewed upwards due to the slump.
(remember it is his firs NHL year, and he played many more games than his mates ... having played in Switzerland ... the slump was mainly due to him being out of gaz, he was "put to rest (the slump)" and was ready for the playoffs where he ended best scorer of the Red Wings ... before Zetterberg and Datsyuk)

On top of that, he had some game winning SO goals that do not count in these stats.

Whatever ... we discuss on a hockey board for our pleasure ... Poile and the others are pros and have their specialised understandings on that.
Brunner is in a similar situation that Smith was at the end of his first season. Both entered the league extremely hot with a 5-6 week long tear that accounted for most of their points. Then they cooled down dramatically. "Average" would indicate performance over time ... not what he did in one lockout shortened season.

Half of a season on North American ice is not a lot to base a long term contract on especially with how inconsistent that season was. There just isn't enough North American history with Brunner to justify a long term, high dollar contract.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 06:32 AM
  #21
Pascal85
Registered User
 
Pascal85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Swiss Newspapers say that it is possible that Brunner will (at least temporarly) return to Zug in the Swiss League A..... Fact is he is in Zug, and he is doing pre-season practice in Zug....

http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/33987

Pascal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:51 PM
  #22
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
But we don't have that kind of money to spend. We still have to include Forsberg against our cap, and we need a back up goalie.
Amen, TMI! If Pekka or Hutton gets hurt, the Preds can call up Hellberg for a few games. After that, who would play in Nashville or Milwaukee?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:39 PM
  #23
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 500
Why not invite brunner to camp?

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:37 PM
  #24
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Why not invite brunner to camp?
Why invite a player to camp when the team currently cannot afford what it seems his asking price is?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:38 PM
  #25
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Why not invite brunner to camp?
Because he's training in Switzerland and is not going to attend a camp on an invite. He will await for a team to offer him a contract close to his terms or accept a one-year deal overseas eventually.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.