HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2013, 10:53 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
passing on an offer sheet for Kadri does not = passing on one for Pietrangelo

Old
08-11-2013, 11:02 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
No way the Red Wings do this. They like him in Detroit and from what I read from comments by Wings fans is that he did a good job playing with Datsyuk in the playoffs.

Not to mention Abdelkader is signed long term and Hemsky is a FA at the end of the year.
agree with this. Abdelkader in the playoffs was huge for them on a team of old men and softies. he basically WON them the Ducks series through being a massive f-ing pest (hello, Sheldon Souray the sucker born every minute).

Hemsky is nowhere near the value ATM.

Old
08-12-2013, 02:26 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Eh... I would offersheet Franson... 6'6 RHD who could get 40 points... yeah I don't mind that at all

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Lander-Jones
Brown R. Hamilton

Smid-Franson (4 X $4M)
Ference-Petry
N. Schultz-J. Schultz
Potter

Whopping $123K in capspace lol... and maybe best D in the AHL next year:

Grebeshkov-Larsen
Klefbom-Marincin
Belov-Fedun
Hunt
LOL WHAT?

Id trade Klefbom, Hemsky (1M retained) and N Schultz to TOR for Phaneuf and Colburne and Petry to Bos for Boychuk and get this ball rolling.

TOR
Klefbom
NSchultz
Hemsky (1M retained)

EDM
Phaneuf
Colburne

-----------

BOS
Petry

EDM
Boychuk

Phaneuf Boychuk
Smid J Schultz
Belov/Fedun Ference

Old
08-12-2013, 10:36 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
agree with this. Abdelkader in the playoffs was huge for them on a team of old men and softies. he basically WON them the Ducks series through being a massive f-ing pest (hello, Sheldon Souray the sucker born every minute).

Hemsky is nowhere near the value ATM.
Is this the Abdelkader who scored 2 goals in 12 games in the post season?

I know he plays a different game than Ales and maybe he is worth more in the right situation, but Ales clearly has a skill set to get to a ppg pace if his team is rolling....Abdelkader does not.

The notion that Abdelkader is worth more than Hemsky is ridiculous. Abdelkader will be on his fifth season and can't seem to score more than ten goals, the fact that that's all Hemsky is getting IS speaking to his dicey value, otherwise I'd be saying the difference is a 1st round pick.

Also, to clarify, by full cap retention I meant the maximum allowed under the CBA so Detroit can afford the contract....so 50% retained. My bad.

Old
08-12-2013, 12:23 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
And what about Petry's?

If Nuge gets 6 million... he's 3.7 now so a raise of 2.3 (plus add on klefbom's 1.2 million since he'll take Schultz's roster spot). So that's right on Schultz's 3.5 million salary

Ryan Smyth makes 2.2 million, we would have to pay his replacement about 1 million so 1.2 million + 3.7 (JSchultz's current salary) = 4.9 million, I hope we could get him for that but no guarantees

Petry makes 1.75 million... he will at least get what Smid gets (3.5) but likely get at least 4 million depending on this year (2.25 million raise)
Dubnyk makes 3.5 million... he will get at least a 5 (1.5 million raise) and I think Smith's 5.6 million a year deal will be close to what Dubnyk would get right now
-so Petry and Dubnyk raises... we are counting on the cap to go up about 4 million to fit them in.

Thing is, if JSchultz, Dubnyk, or Petry have a very good season. They could price themselves out of our market range. We'd be relying on the cap going up 5-6 million next year which COULD happen but there's no guarantees.

If you wanted those other guys, MacT could have gotten them.
I like most of what MacT has done, but he dropped the ball with the 3rd line guys and the bottom pairing defenseman

Signing Jones and Grebeshkov were mistakes... even Joensuu may be but I'd like to see him play a few games first.

We could have gotten guys like Nystrom, Pouliot, and Lapierre if we hadn't done those other signings (well maybe not Nystrom since at 2.5 million a year that is a lot of money for a guy of his skill set). But Lapierre makes 1.1 million (I'd have loved to have used Jones's money on him, but management didn't or signed Lapierre instead of Joensuu), or sign Pouliot instead of Grebs....

Or maybe Raymond or some of the other unsigned guys on a 1 year 1.5 million year deal to play on our 3rd line for a year (and try to get more $ next offseason) instead of having Grebs as a 7th D.

We had the cap room to get those guys, but management made some questionable signings to fill out our rosters
There are guys out there better suited to be 3rd line guys for our team then Jones.
Grebs likely is our 7th D now (petry, JSchultz, Smid, Ference, NSchultz, Belov).... and I'd rather have a cheaper/younger Larsen sitting in the press box then Grebs. And if we don't like Larsen as #7, I'd have loved to see us sign Fistric to be our #7 D at minimum salary
That would have saved us enough cap space to make a run at some of the guys that were mentioned as being good fits for our 3rd line (which I agree with), but I would not want to see Hemsky bought out to fill our bottom lines with guys that COULD affect our cap situation next year.
Successful teams lock up their stars first (Chicago, Pittsburgh) and then find role players to fill in the other spots. We need to make sure we get our guys signed first and then look at bringing in other help.
Yea, because thats exactly what Chicago and Pittsburgh did. They didnt sign anyone and just let their kids carry the entire load.

Old
08-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Is this the Abdelkader who scored 2 goals in 12 games in the post season?

I know he plays a different game than Ales and maybe he is worth more in the right situation, but Ales clearly has a skill set to get to a ppg pace if his team is rolling....Abdelkader does not.

The notion that Abdelkader is worth more than Hemsky is ridiculous. Abdelkader will be on his fifth season and can't seem to score more than ten goals, the fact that that's all Hemsky is getting IS speaking to his dicey value, otherwise I'd be saying the difference is a 1st round pick.

Also, to clarify, by full cap retention I meant the maximum allowed under the CBA so Detroit can afford the contract....so 50% retained. My bad.
Adelkader would bring balance to our team, yeah he wouldn't score as much as a healthy and motivated Hemsky, but he would add more physicality to our bottom 6 and be a pest.

08-12-2013, 12:28 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Adelkader would bring balance to our team, yeah he wouldn't score as much as a healthy and motivated Hemsky, but he would add more physicality to our bottom 6 and be a pest.
I think we all agree Hemsky is not ideal on the 3rd line. I think the one really good thing going forward is just that Hemsky has 1 year left on his deal. Whether hemsky likes it or not he has to be motivated.

Old
08-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I think we all agree Hemsky is not ideal on the 3rd line. I think the one really good thing going forward is just that Hemsky has 1 year left on his deal. Whether hemsky likes it or not he has to be motivated.
Agreed, I just hope that at some point we can move him for either a better fit for our team, or picks/prospects in a deadline type of a trade.

Old
08-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:
Yes and I think he will , if there is a season he has to rebound its this one for sure or he better start talking to khl teams imo.

Old
08-12-2013, 01:16 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Yes and I think he will , if there is a season he has to rebound its this one for sure or he better start talking to khl teams imo.
Ya, If Hemsky puts up another lack luster season, He is going to be looking at 1 year offers for 2 mill as a UFA. Having a solid bounce back year this year is his only hope of getting a decent multiyear north of 4 mill per contract next summer.

Old
08-12-2013, 01:18 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed, I just hope that at some point we can move him for either a better fit for our team, or picks/prospects in a deadline type of a trade.
Agreed, I think the most ideal situation is that Hemsky has a solid year, then at the deadline some one grabs him in exchange for a younger suitable bottom 6 type player. To LA for Clifford, or Ottawa for Smith, or whatever.

Old
08-12-2013, 01:26 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agreed, I think the most ideal situation is that Hemsky has a solid year, then at the deadline some one grabs him in exchange for a younger suitable bottom 6 type player. To LA for Clifford, or Ottawa for Smith, or whatever.
that or a the kinjury bug plauges a top 15 team on teh right wing and they need someone to continue to contend

Old
08-12-2013, 01:28 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
that or a the kinjury bug plauges a top 15 team on teh right wing and they need someone to continue to contend
As long has Hemsky is producing and healthy there will be a taker at the deadline. There always is, some team will need a top 6 scorer, there is always a injury, or something. The deadline is the ideal time to trade. Teams are always desperate.

Sadly I can invision the opposite, deadline rolls around, Hemsky is on the DL and has put up 15 points in 30 games.

Old
08-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
That'd be great as far as I'm concerned. It makes it a lot easier to move him when 2/3 of his contract has been paid and 2/3 of his cap hit is gone.

Quote:
As long has Hemsky is producing and healthy there will be a taker at the deadline. There always is, some team will need a top 6 scorer, there is always a injury, or something. The deadline is the ideal time to trade. Teams are always desperate.

Sadly I can invision the opposite, deadline rolls around, Hemsky is on the DL and has put up 15 points in 30 games.
I'd move him before the deadline if an injury hits a playoff team hard and they need a 2RW and have the cap space available. My worry about waiting until the deadline was summed up quite nicely in your last sentence

Old
08-12-2013, 10:30 PM
oilinblood

i find Hemsky to be a rover and doesnt work well with many other players. the best players he works with are defensively responsible centres and rover wingers. He was at his best when Samsonov arrived at the deadline in 06.

That being said i wouldnt be surprised if him and Perron at some point in the season get on a line together 5 on 5 and click. From watching STL games i find Perron is a rover.

Old
08-12-2013, 11:41 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
i find Hemsky to be a rover and doesnt work well with many other players. the best players he works with are defensively responsible centres and rover wingers. He was at his best when Samsonov arrived at the deadline in 06.

That being said i wouldnt be surprised if him and Perron at some point in the season get on a line together 5 on 5 and click. From watching STL games i find Perron is a rover.
well from what you say Perron Gordon and Hemsky would be a solid line.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Jones-Gags-Yaks
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky

I wouldn't mind fooling around with that.

Old
08-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Njoy Oilers

Wow! The sarcasm on the 1st page almost had me not continue. That said, I think you will see a lot of line testing as the obvious injuries this team is snake bit with occur. Hemsky, if he's healthy, might surprise us with a spirited effort. My big question is, will the coach carrousel stop on a winner?

Woo hoo! There's my Villa!!

Old
08-13-2013, 12:00 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
seems like the only addition to the line-up left is a rookie defender

:shrug:

Old
08-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
well from what you say Perron Gordon and Hemsky would be a solid line.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Jones-Gags-Yaks
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky

I wouldn't mind fooling around with that.
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Jones - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky

Looks better IMO. I wouldn't mind that for lines honestly.

Old
08-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky

I would. Jones does not belong anywhere near the top-6.

Old
08-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I would. Jones does not belong anywhere near the top-6.
He scored 18 and 17 goals in back to back seasons before last year. I don't see the problem trying him there if it makes for a balanced top 9. He also provides a little grit in the top 6 which is what we've been looking for-for so long. Especially on the line with Nuge and Ebs because they are the softest of the bunch. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Line 1 - All three of them aren't known for hitting or playing a gritty game but all 3 of them can do it, and we've seen them do it. Not to mention both Hall and Gagner have proven to work well with Yakupov in the past. In a way the three of them all play very similar and I think they would make a great line.

Line 2 - Nuge and Ebs have the chemistry, Jones makes room for them and provides grit desperately needed beside them. Jones would likely pot around 15 ish and become much more useful.
Line 3 - Out of the other two lines this one makes me wonder the most. I like the thought of having a defensive player who will win faceoffs and give Perron and Hemsky possession but I wonder how the chemistry would be. If the line doesn't click, it's probably a disaster. Gordon will be holding them back in a way offensively while Perron and Hemsky are already not working together. If it works it would be fantastic. Hemsky and Perron do most of the work offensively while Gordon covers them on the defensive side of things and gives them the puck right off the faceoff. And again, like Jones it makes Gordon very effective.

And another positive.. now we only have one line that sucks.

Old
08-13-2013, 12:50 AM
Bergeron47

Would half of us even know who Abdelkader was if he stayed in the Wings bottom six? Because that's where he'd fit in our team.

Old
08-13-2013, 01:22 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky

Ewww Jones in the top 9.

Old
08-13-2013, 01:26 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I really wish the Oilers would have drafted Nichushkin... I know many here were opposed to picking him and are happy with Nurse (and I understand the Nurse pick... it wasn't terrible but not my preference)... but they could have had these lines:

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Nichushkin-Gordon-Hemsky
Jones-Lander-Joensuu

Brown/Smyth

Ideally a better #4 C could have been acquired as well but even with the above lines... gives the top 9 a lot more dynamic possibilities... not just this season but going forward as well.

Old
08-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

if we had drafted Nich, there would be no Perron

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Nich-RNH-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Gordon-Hemsky

Closed Thread