HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrew MacDonald's next contract

Old
08-12-2013, 12:27 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Andrew MacDonald's next contract

MacDonald is entering the last yr , of his team friendly contract ($550.000 per).

He's played 1st pairing mins, alongside Hamonc , for a couple of seasons now. I am surprised by the NYI fans who say they don't want him to get more then $3m per or don't want him signing an extension.

He plays a shutdown role , 22+ mins a game , blocking a ton of shots. I would like to see him sign a 4 yr/$14m extension. As more talented youngsters make the roster, he can slide down to the 2nd pairing.

Could he get more then $3.5 per, if he hits the ufa market?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 12:36 PM
The Undertaker

He'll be a UFA and is only 26 and he could slot into a top 4 role on alot of teams in the NHL. Seems like he'll get a hefty payday, especially if he hits the open market. Very solid skating and can move the puck up ice. Plays a very smart, non-risky game.

He's a Dan Girardi-lite player. Girardi got around $3.5/4yrs so I could see it being around the same.

I'd say 4-5 years at $3mil to $4mil will be a likely contract.

Could hit over $4 by a needy team on the open market.

The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Sneekypete

6 years, 21 million......cap hit of 3.5 per year

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 12:38 PM
ds4130

Do I think he's worth 4.5 million? No quite. However I think we may have learned after P.A. (yes, a different situation) that we shouldn't let guys with value to the team like P.A. and A-Mac just walk. I wouldn't mind paying him 4.5 million even if it's a little bit too much. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets 5~ on the open market.

Andy is great. When he's playing you don't really notice him that much, and it's a good thing. When he's out of the lineup it really shows. He's not big and physical and can't clear the crease as well but he's phenomenal with his positioning and stick work. Personally, I think he'll be re-signed and than a rookie will force Snow to trade him later down the line.

ds4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Darth Milbury

My fellow Isles fans may not like to hear this, but I could really see MacDonald getting a payday higher than what Snow gave Hamonic.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Undertaker View Post
He'll be a UFA and is only 26 and he could slot into a top 4 role on alot of teams in the NHL. Seems like he'll get a hefty payday, especially if he hits the open market. Very solid skating and can move the puck up ice. Plays a very smart, non-risky game.

He's a Dan Girardi-lite player. Girardi got around $3.5/4yrs so I could see it being around the same.

I'd say 4-5 years at $3mil to $4mil will be a likely contract.

Could hit over $4 by a needy team on the open market.
Assuming the cap goes up like people expect, I think that AM would get a really sweet deal. As a legit top 4 d-man with UFA eligibility in a year when everyone has cap space, he's going to make really good coin. If he hits the open market, I VERY easily take the over on your $4M estimate, and would bet his contract is closer to $4.5M.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
My fellow Isles fans may not like to hear this, but I could really see MacDonald getting a payday higher than what Snow gave Hamonic.
Darth - IMO Hamonic took a pretty signficant home town discount on his recent contract. Any comparison to him is going to look "bad" from a contract perspective.

I really think that AM would be able to cash in as a young top 4 d-man who is just entering his prime. If I was a GM, I'd 10x rather have AM than a guy like Carle, Wideman or Streit, who all make between $4.75-5.5M.

Old
08-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Darth - IMO Hamonic took a pretty signficant home town discount on his recent contract. Any comparison to him is going to look "bad" from a contract perspective.

I really think that AM would be able to cash in as a young top 4 d-man who is just entering his prime. If I was a GM, I'd 10x rather have AM than a guy like Carle, Wideman or Streit, who all make between $4.75-5.5M.

Sadly, I agree with you totally. Although I do think that Hamonic's contract was a discount partially because of the length. That is, he may have compromised on the dollars for extra years.

The reason why this worries me is because I don't see how Snow can justify paying MacDonald more than Hamonic or Vish, when he (arguably) slots beneath those two in team depth.

And, given that he has been horribly underpaid for years, he may be in no mood for bargains.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 12:55 PM
boredmale

I am guessing 4-4.5M a year 4-6 years. My guess is also he doesn't resign with the Islanders

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
I'm hoping Garth can get him for 4-5 years at 3.5 per.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:02 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

He'll get paid. Honestly, if I were him, I'm going into this season thinking I can hit at or around the $5M per year mark on the open market. It's not even that unreasonable, assuming he spends yet another season on the top pairing(I think this will be his 3rd straight year?). Add in that he's only 26 years old, and I'm guessing that he'll be a pretty attractive piece. IMO $4M is a given. If a team is desperate enough, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get $5M.

That said, I think his future with the Isles will depend on a few things: One would obviously be how he performs in 2013-14. Another would be how guys like Donovan and de Haan look at the NHL level, and in de Haan's case whether or not he can play a full season. The other would be the development of Reinhart. IMO he could very well make the team next season, but even if he doesn't there's a great chance of him sticking in '14-15. If the Isles want to keep a space open for him, and guys like Donovan, de Haan, Strait and/or Hickey have spots locked up, MacDonald could end up being a casualty. Especially if he's looking to hit the jackpot.

Regardless, it should be interesting to see how this plays out.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:07 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

Quote:
Well it wouldn't shock me considering Hamonic just came off his ELC while AMac has been making peanuts for quite some time now.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:11 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

I'm expecting something between 3-4M per.

Old
08-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

I think most people nailed it here. Min of 3M, to 4.5 being the reasonable ceiling. No longer than a 4 year deal from the Isles POV please.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:37 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
6 years, 21 million......cap hit of 3.5 per year
That would be a great contract for him and I think he would take it. I can't see Garth letting him go, he's been too great for us. Can't wait for a future defense of:

Griffin Reinhart - Ryan Pulock
Andrew MacDonald - Travis Hamonic
Matt Donovan - Scott Mayfield

And so many more that could knock on the door at any moment.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:38 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I think most people nailed it here. Min of 3M, to 4.5 being the reasonable ceiling. No longer than a 4 year deal from the Isles POV please.
I'd give him six years no problem. Takes him to age 32, prime for defensemen.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:52 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
He'll get paid. Honestly, if I were him, I'm going into this season thinking I can hit at or around the $5M per year mark on the open market. It's not even that unreasonable, assuming he spends yet another season on the top pairing(I think this will be his 3rd straight year?). Add in that he's only 26 years old, and I'm guessing that he'll be a pretty attractive piece. IMO $4M is a given. If a team is desperate enough, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get $5M.

That said, I think his future with the Isles will depend on a few things: One would obviously be how he performs in 2013-14. Another would be how guys like Donovan and de Haan look at the NHL level, and in de Haan's case whether or not he can play a full season. The other would be the development of Reinhart. IMO he could very well make the team next season, but even if he doesn't there's a great chance of him sticking in '14-15. If the Isles want to keep a space open for him, and guys like Donovan, de Haan, Strait and/or Hickey have spots locked up, MacDonald could end up being a casualty. Especially if he's looking to hit the jackpot.

That $5m per amount, is way more then I am hoping to see.

Staple tweeted that he had asked Moulson, if Moulson was getting an extension. No word about MacDonald.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:52 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

4 years 14.22 Million dollar contract. He's a solid top 4 D-man, I like him.

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I'm expecting something between 3-4M per.
Can you provide a UFA comparable who signed for between $3-4M?

Old
08-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Sadly, I agree with you totally. Although I do think that Hamonic's contract was a discount partially because of the length. That is, he may have compromised on the dollars for extra years.

The reason why this worries me is because I don't see how Snow can justify paying MacDonald more than Hamonic or Vish, when he (arguably) slots beneath those two in team depth.

And, given that he has been horribly underpaid for years, he may be in no mood for bargains.
IMO - that's not an issue. AM is a UFA eligible player who is just entering his prime, and those guys get paid. Agree 100% that Hamonic sacrificed some potential $'s to lock in the security of the term, and Vish is a guy who is likely on the downside of this career. I think that "justifying" AM's salary is only something that is an issue for the people that have a hard time understanding RFA vs. UFA.

Also think it's a great point with being underpaid so far. Those type of guys "need" to lock in the $'s because he wasn't making $3-4M coming off his ELC. You can make a case that AM (along with Duncan Keith) were the best "value" players not on an ELC since the first lockout.

EDIT: And great to see you back on the site! Your insights have been missed!

Old
08-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

If Garth can re-sign him under 5 per for 5+ years I'll take it. Guy is a steady defenseman and just entering his prime.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Nazemlupul

5 years 3.5 per

Nazemlupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post

My spider senses tell me that this is gonna be very similar to the Parenteau saga.

There is just too much young talent coming through the pipeline to commit the type of dollars/term a guy like him would command.

Unless he's fine with signing a short 2-3max year deal, my guess is we see him walk at the end of the year.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
My spider senses tell me that this is gonna be very similar to the Parenteau saga.

There is just too much young talent coming through the pipeline to commit the type of dollars/term a guy like him would command.

Unless he's fine with signing a short 2-3max year deal, my guess is we see him walk at the end of the year.
I disagree. Visnovsky will be replaced before Amac. Plus a still young Amac signed for around 4 million for 2 or so years left is a VERY tradeable contract.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:53 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Can you provide a UFA comparable who signed for between $3-4M?
Andrew Ference.