HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Couturier Re-signed 2 years 1.75M AAV

Old
08-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Stizzle

vCash: 500
I saw this article posted today and thought I would share. It's another Couturier had a better year than you think type of thing.

http://flyersfaithful.com/2013/08/12...of-a-big-deal/

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I saw this article posted today and thought I would share. It's another Couturier had a better year than you think type of thing.

Not as "scientific" as Meltzer's similar analysis with respect to Couturier and Schenn but does add some substantiation..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:11 PM
paradoxium

Quote:

Courturier is going to be a great player. People need to be patient because not every player is P Kane/Toews/Crosby/Malkin/other highly successful players to varying degrees right when they enter the league. He's not getting the opportunities to put up big numbers. If he doesn't improve this year, I'll start to worry.

paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Curufinwe

I roll my eyes so hard when main board morons claim Couturier is already a bust based on his play as a 19 and 20 year old. There were two forwards taken ahead of him who have barely played in the NHL yet, and no one's calling them busts.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
The fact that he was in such a tough situation and maintained his level of production from last year is impressive.

08-12-2013, 09:15 PM
JohnEDrama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I roll my eyes so hard when main board morons claim Couturier is already a bust based on his play as a 19 and 20 year old. There were two forwards taken ahead of him who have barely played in the NHL yet, and no one's calling them busts.
Yeah, I don't understand how someone can be called a bust at 20 years old. Couturier just seems to be the flavor of the year to be thrown out as a bust/overrated, all the while in every trade proposal its "that starts with Couturier..."

Its a real headscratcher.

And don't bother trying to reason with them. It always reminds me of a fav quote, "talk sense to a fool, and he calls you foolish."

JohnEDrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:13 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEDrama View Post
Yeah, I don't understand how someone can be called a bust at 20 years old. Couturier just seems to be the flavor of the year to be thrown out as a bust/overrated, all the while in every trade proposal its "that starts with Couturier..."

Its a real headscratcher.

And don't bother trying to reason with them. It always reminds me of a fav quote, "talk sense to a fool, and he calls you foolish."
Nah, it's the same thing around here. We undervalue players in other systems just like others undervalue our players.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:37 PM
dawkins121

Quote:

I thought it was funny how they narrowed down the combination of bad linemates, tough competition, and difficult zone starts to him and Grabovski.

Leafs give Grabo a huge contract, put him in the worst possible position to succeed, then cut him and give his money (and first line minutes) to Bozak. Genius.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:12 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:

Author of that article here. Glad to see you guys enjoyed it!

I look forward to seeing what Couturier can do with some better linemates and a bigger offensive role.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Author of that article here. Glad to see you guys enjoyed it!

I look forward to seeing what Couturier can do with some better linemates and a bigger offensive role.
Do you think he's gonna get it this year? I don't.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:31 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Do you think he's gonna get it this year? I don't.
Yea I do. At the minimum he will see better linemates with a full season of Read on one wing and someone like Talbot, or perhaps Gagne if he's brough back, on the other.

He's still going to get tough 5 on 5 assignments, but I think better wingers will go a long way for him. He also had some bad luck shooting 5.3% on the year.

Old
08-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
As much as I like the vinny signing i hope he doesnt have his heart out for center the whole time. We need schenn and Coutuier to move into those positions.

I too dont think coots will get the ozone time needed to put up points. His role will again be a defensive stalwart on a team that lacks them.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:48 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
As much as I like the vinny signing i hope he doesnt have his heart out for center the whole time. We need schenn and Coutuier to move into those positions.

I too dont think coots will get the ozone time needed to put up points. His role will again be a defensive stalwart on a team that lacks them.
Yea, I don't think he's ever going to get away from tough defensive assignments. He's just too good at it.

However, I do think by playing with better linemates, his production can increase because he's already doing a great job of generating shots despite his poor circumstances.

Edit: Also, until Couts and Schenn get to be at least average on draws, I want Vinny at center.

Old
08-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Yea, I don't think he's ever going to get away from tough defensive assignments. He's just too good at it.

However, I do think by playing with better linemates, his production can increase because he's already doing a great job of generating shots despite his poor circumstances.

Edit: Also, until Couts and Schenn get to be at least average on draws, I want Vinny at center.
i know couturier avg more shots when he is on ice but i also know that when teams are winning they play back more and give up more shots from the perimeter. We were down a lot last year.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:59 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
i know couturier avg more shots when he is on ice but i also know that when teams are winning they play back more and give up more shots from the perimeter. We were down a lot last year.
Yes that is true, however Corsi Relative accounts for that. Couturier's 2.1 number is relative to his whole team, and therefore the fact that they probably all were playing from behind quite often.

Old
08-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Yea I do. At the minimum he will see better linemates with a full season of Read on one wing and someone like Talbot, or perhaps Gagne if he's brough back, on the other.

He's still going to get tough 5 on 5 assignments, but I think better wingers will go a long way for him. He also had some bad luck shooting 5.3% on the year.
His two most common linemates last year at 5 v 5 were Talbot 34% and Read 32%.

Bringing in Lecavalier and Streit only bump him down further on the PP list yet does nothing to help him get more offensive zone starts at ES. If anything, it cements him into having to do all the defensive lifting at forward. And while his S% might go up, his PDO numbers and On-Ice S% numbers aren't really out of whack with the rest of the team. As much as I like Lecavalier and think he here on a decent contract, I believe it's going to stunt Couturier's offensive growth next season.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
I find it funny that people have been saying he had a 'bad' season... when his defensive stats were far and away better than the guy who came 6th in Selke voting, (Jay McClement) and his offence was the same. (Considering they played comparable minutes, arguably both top 5 toughest of any player in the league.)

McClement and Boyd Gordon were the only two guys on the Selke voting list who played comparable minutes to Couts (Gordons slightly easier) and McClement was poor in comparison and came 6th, and Gordon was worse that Couts statistically but came 12th. Crazy that Couts didn't get 1 vote!

My big concern in his development is not really how hard his QoC is, he has shown in two years he can still be positive in advanced stats while playing some of the toughest mins in the league; it is his zone starts, I know they are interlinked, but the amount of times he gets thrown out there in his own zone is absurd, at least even that up a bit and give him a chance to get near the opposition net, even if it is against the better oppositions players! It would also let him develop his faceoff ability more, as all his facoffs at the moment are do-or-die, which does not encourage technical ability or trying new things.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 04:46 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
His two most common linemates last year at 5 v 5 were Talbot 34% and Read 32%.

Bringing in Lecavalier and Streit only bump him down further on the PP list yet does nothing to help him get more offensive zone starts at ES. If anything, it cements him into having to do all the defensive lifting at forward. And while his S% might go up, his PDO numbers and On-Ice S% numbers aren't really out of whack with the rest of the team. As much as I like Lecavalier and think he here on a decent contract, I believe it's going to stunt Couturier's offensive growth next season.
Great points. I can't disagree at all that Vinny could stun Cout's growth. He clearly won't be asked to play 2nd line center.

I still believe, though, that Couts can produce offense in his 3rd line C role. Yes Read and Talbot were his most used linemates; but Read was injured at the end of February with a rib injury that was supposed to take 6 weeks to heal. He came back in 2 and probably shouldn't have because he was a completely different player after that. He had 7 goals and 13 points through 18 games before he got hurt. Then he fell off to the tune of 4 goals and 11 points over the next 24. Talbot got hurt later himself, and is not an offensive player (despite his season 2 years ago).

I just really believe that if Couts played with Read and Gagne (or something similar) for a full year, he'd put up better numbers, even while maintaining his defensive role.

Old
08-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Great points. I can't disagree at all that Vinny could stun Cout's growth. He clearly won't be asked to play 2nd line center.

I still believe, though, that Couts can produce offense in his 3rd line C role. Yes Read and Talbot were his most used linemates; but Read was injured at the end of February with a rib injury that was supposed to take 6 weeks to heal. He came back in 2 and probably shouldn't have because he was a completely different player after that. He had 7 goals and 13 points through 18 games before he got hurt. Then he fell off to the tune of 4 goals and 11 points over the next 24. Talbot got hurt later himself, and is not an offensive player (despite his season 2 years ago).

I just really believe that if Couts played with Read and Gagne (or something similar) for a full year, he'd put up better numbers, even while maintaining his defensive role.
I'm pretty sure Read was in the top 6 before his injury as well, so he wouldn't have seen Couturier much excluding the time Briere missed.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:

I think BSchenn will play LW most of the year, only going to 2C if Vinny is injured.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm pretty sure Read was in the top 6 before his injury as well, so he wouldn't have seen Couturier much excluding the time Briere missed.
Briere missed a couple of the first games, then Hartnell got hurt in the 6th one, so Read did play in the top 6 a bit, until he got hurt.

It says something about the depth that he's a 3rd liner.

I am perfectly happy having Couturier play 3C, do great PK work and do a lot of the heavy defensive lifting. He's great at it, which will help the team win more games.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:07 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I see Vinny playing the 2nd C with Schenn on the LW.
Coots play 3rd C....

eventually (2/3 years if it doesn't happen right away) I think Vinny will move to RW (1st/2nd) and that will free up Coots to play 2nd C and Laughton to play 3rd C, maybe keep Schenn on the wing.

spit.ball.ing.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 09:02 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Per Meltzer in today blog post..I was wondering who made good use of the offseason. Glad to see Couts adding some LBS...

Look out Malkin!

Quote:
* According to a recent French-language interview with Sean Couturier, the third-season NHL forward has made productive use of the long offseason, adding several pounds of muscle to his frame. In the section above, I talked about Couturier's need to improve on faceoffs. The added muscle should help him there, as well in puck battles along the walls.

Old
09-04-2013, 09:04 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Now will it help him skate faster?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 09:36 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Now will it help him skate faster?
Meh..skating is overrated (when you have a high hockey IQ)....Couts is positionally savy and skates well enough. Robitaille used to be criticized for his lack of skating prowess but I would say he had a pretty good career.