HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turnaround player

Old
08-11-2013, 04:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Turnaround player

We've seen it happen, just when we're ready to throw in the towell on a player's development he makes that turn to become a good player.

Erat, Hartnell, Klein, Wilson, etc. Even Suter and Hamhuis had us doubting at times.

This year there's a few canidates, Ellis, Smith, Spaling.....

Do you think any are going to make the turn? If so who?

I really think Smith and Ellis could both do it.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 04:12 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Ellis

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 04:20 PM
glenngineer

Smith is due.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 04:52 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I really fear Smith was a flash in the pan.

I do think with Housley on board that Eliis ends up making it as a full time NHL player

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Ekholm will go from "absolutely horrible" to a legit #4/5D this year.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 05:08 PM
RCola88

vCash: 459
Ekholm and Smith

I think people forget Smith is like 23, but everyone rides him off like a 38 year old. Give him time, I know he will be a good player for us. Or we can just let him walk like everyone once and watch him perform somewhere else.

As for Ekholm I think he will start out in the bottom pair and work his way up, assuming no injuries happen. I think by the end of the year he will fill that #4 hole very nicely.

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 05:09 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Ekholm will go from "absolutely horrible" to a legit #4/5D this year.
He wasn't really horrible, just inexperienced with the North American style. I think he will open some eyes this year. Just hope we can keep everyone for the long run, and avoid a Hamhuis situation with someone.

We could have a top 5 defense for years.

Old
08-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
He wasn't really horrible, just inexperienced with the North American style. I think he will open some eyes this year. Just hope we can keep everyone for the long run, and avoid a Hamhuis situation with someone.

We could have a top 5 defense for years.
Last time he was up in Nashville, Trotz called him "absolutely horrible". Direct quote, I believe.

Old
08-11-2013, 05:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Last time he was up in Nashville, Trotz called him "absolutely horrible". Direct quote, I believe.
In his ONE game last season? I could cherry pick games of every player in the league and make the same assessment.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 06:14 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Ekholm doesn't qualify for turnaround status. He got a brief trial two seasons ago then went back to the normal prospect development track.

Old
08-11-2013, 06:48 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
this past season? ekholm looked good to me..

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 06:53 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
That was actually two seasons ago. He played two games, was horrible, went back to Europe. Last year he played one game and looked decent.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 06:56 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
That was actually two seasons ago. He played two games, was horrible, went back to Europe. Last year he played one game and looked decent.
yeah thought so. ekholm is ready and is definitely my breakout guy.

turn around guy? no one.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Legionnaire11

Most likely... Ekholm

Most hopeful/needed... Smith

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Iron Duke

I don't think Ellis or Spaling really qualify for this. Ellis has been going through a fairly normal development process, if a little slow for some people's taste, and Spaling is what he is, a pretty decent young bottom 6 guy.

Guess it would be Smith semi by default.

As far as a turnaround guy for the team in general, I think it will be Hornqvist. Injury woes last season, but still wasn't even on a 20 goal pace. He'll turn that around this season.

Iron Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
I still think Spaling will either be traded or benched and Ellis will either be in the AHL or the bench as well. So I guess I'll go with Smith...

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I still think Spaling will either be traded or benched and Ellis will either be in the AHL or the bench as well. So I guess I'll go with Smith...
I see this as Smith's last season as a Predator (at least at the NHL level). I feel that he will either be traded or sent to Milwaukee (He'd have to clear waivers first though) by the end of the season.

Personally I feel he is almost at bust status. I will will give him until the end of December to prove me wrong on this but so far on this team he has done nothing other than his initial flash he showed when he debuted. Why Poile gave him that contract is beyond me. I think Spaling has more upside at this point.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I see this as Smith's last season as a Predator (at least at the NHL level). I feel that he will either be traded or sent to Milwaukee (He'd have to clear waivers first though) by the end of the season.

Personally I feel he is almost at bust status. I will will give him until the end of December to prove me wrong on this but so far on this team he has done nothing other than his initial flash he showed when he debuted. Why Poile gave him that contract is beyond me. I think Spaling has more upside at this point.
When that contract was given out, I know I was thrilled. We all thought he would be our #1C of the future, and we had him locked up cheap. Then he regressed in a massive way. It was a gamble, but it could have paid off big.

Smith is an enigma to me. Just not sure how I feel about him yet. He showed that original flash here and has continued to light it up internationally, yet he was absolutely abysmal last season. Maybe Trotz can whip him into shape.

Old
08-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Preds33

Quote:
When that contract was given out, I know I was thrilled. We all thought he would be our #1C of the future, and we had him locked up cheap. Then he regressed in a massive way. It was a gamble, but it could have paid off big.

Smith is an enigma to me. Just not sure how I feel about him yet. He showed that original flash here and has continued to light it up internationally, yet he was absolutely abysmal last season. Maybe Trotz can whip him into shape.
That's what I feel is part of the issue though. It seems as though what ever Trotz is doing is making the situation worse. It seems as time goes on he is regressing and not progressing. For him to compete at the NHL level, I think he truly needs to be separated from Trotz.

Old
08-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
That's what I feel is part of the issue though. It seems as though what ever Trotz is doing is making the situation worse. It seems as time goes on he is regressing and not progressing. For him to compete at the NHL level, I think he truly needs to be separated from Trotz.
Maybe, maybe not. I agree he is regressing, but maybe he as gotten lazy and complacent, and Trotz is the one who can wake him up. Or maybe, as you say, Trotz is stunting his development. We'll never really know.

Old
08-12-2013, 10:10 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Smith is the easy answer here. He was previously highly touted by Poile and Trotz and is earning $2 mil on the last year of his current contract. Started off fantastic and has been a non-factor lately. I would LOVE to see this kid play like he did before and progress from there.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 10:41 AM
doug88

I see a great future in Smith with the Preds well at least I'm expecting good things from him.. I mean time has come for him to step up his game if he wants to stay in the NHL.

doug88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 06:19 PM
RCola88

Too many people bash on Craig. He's 23 years old, lay off of him. It takes time for players to develop. Sorry it isn't up to everyone's standards, but give it time. Or you can just watch him go to another team and perform. I know the kid has game.

Old
08-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Too many people bash on Craig. He's 23 years old, lay off of him. It takes time for players to develop. Sorry it isn't up to everyone's standards, but give it time. Or you can just watch him go to another team and perform. I know the kid has game.

I wouldn't have a problem if he would develop, but that he is not. Every game he plays in Nashville seems to make his game worse and seems to make him appear like he is un-developing rather than developing

Old
08-12-2013, 07:27 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
unfortunately, 23, and in your 3rd year at the NHL level, is getting right at the point where a prospect needs to show that they have what it takes to stick, because there are other guys in the pipeline behind him that are going to deserve their shot, and so the Preds cant wait forever. Beck probably deserves a roster spot but as of right now he doesnt have one.

Wilson, though he developed slowly, made incremental progress each year.

Smith has regressed, although admittedly last year wasnt a large sample size.. but he really needs to step up and pot a few goals early in the season, and not give the coaches an excuse to give someone else his spot