HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

110% Trade scenarios to get Lecavalier

Old
11-06-2006, 11:42 PM
les Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSK View Post
Please everybody stop saying he's got 7.8...

The cap hit of his contract his 6,875,000 !

At that price, its not so bad, its not like we have St. Louis, Richard and Lecavalier higher then 6...

St 6.8 we can afford him, but we need to give big salary in return... For exemple (not real) Ryder 2.2 + Bonk 2.3 + Janne Niinimaa 2.5 + 1st OV Would fit (This is not a proposal but exemple)

If you ask me Kovalev or Lecavalier.. I would take Lecavalier at 6.8

But its may be just me, I like the kind of play of Vinny
Well I wouldn't deal Ryder at all. Still I see your point. Niinimaa is IMO expensive right now. Everybody complained about Bouillon, but I'd take him over Niinimaa. Anyway, I'd be willing to part with guys like Niinimaa, Samsonov and Abby. I actually like having Abby around, but IMO he's still expendable.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:43 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
1 In that case, say goodbye to 2 of Souray, Markov, Rivet...Say goodbye to Ryder as well...Aebi too. If Gainey is lucky he could maybe keep Johnson.

2 His next contract will be about what Kovalev gets.

1 Well like I said before, I get the cap hit.

2 Well then I could wait.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:46 PM
terreur

All those proposal would have been bashed in the Trade proposal forum lol.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:47 AM
Marksman

Somehow I dont see Lightning trading Lecavalier for picks and prospects.

They have a good team, only problem is there is very little depth because of that salary structure. I see Feaster would rather ask maybe three good (young) players that they are sure to keep for the same period as Vinny.

Like Plekanec, Perezhogin/Kostitsyn and one of our top 6 players - but I dont think Gainey would do this, because it would put Habs into same situation TB is in right now.

As for Lecavalier being worth his salary ... I see he gets little bonus for winning the Cup, 10-15%. 6 million would seem about right for young 26-yo star, who is still couple years away from the usual prime years for forwards.

Last edited by Marksman: 11-07-2006 at 04:02 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 06:21 AM
wedge

in all these proposals, only Michel Bergeron's is possible. Why? Because it's the only one that could fit in the salary cap. We're close to the cap so to get Lecavalier, we would have to free 7M of salary. Is it what Tampa wants? No, they want to free some money. That just means one thing: forget about Lecavalier. I'm not saying that Bergeron's offer is a good one.. lol

Still, with the cap that could go down next year, I think it would be a wise idea to avoid these huge contracts. We will already have to resign Higgins, Ryder and future UFAs Markov, Souray and Aebischer. If we get a player like Lecavalier, that means that we would have to forget about a few players on our team. Do we want that? NO!!!

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 06:49 AM
mcphee

If a deal were to be made, and this is only the type of if used in conversation, I doubt anything's on the table, there are 2 aspects from TB's perspective.

They take on salary in return, but 06-07 salary only. Whether it's Markov,Souray, they get some immediate help but have cap room going into next year. They also need young talent that can play next year as the fan base will question why they should spend $ on a team that traded a star for cap room.

IMO, that makes Kovalev a hard guy to include, unless their GM has some scenario that Kovalev would thrive in, but I don't see Torterella and Kovalev being buddies. So, Souray,Markov,Rivet,Bonk, a goalie, whatever needs to be done to fit him in.

Then, do they want 2 young players ? 1 and a 1st ? Which young player[s]? Anyone but Higgins ?

I believe that at some point, the CH will have to have a 'best' player that ranks higher in the top players in the league. Higgins currently seems to be heading up the ladder, but as much as I like him, I'm not sure his ceiling is high enough to be included up there.

I see Vinny L in games where he'd have to be considered in the top 10, but I hesitate to call him that because the #'s don't add up. I've asked TB fans on occasion about this but I don't have an answer I'm comfortable with. Still, when you look at all he can do, I'd be tempted to find a way. I could be wrong, it's hard to evaluate guys like him, because you look at the best of him and assume that's what you'll always see. Maybe his start is a sign that he's ready to be that guy all year. otoh, if he is, maybe Feaster's telling the truth and figures why deal him ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 07:50 AM
MM425

French journalists make me laugh with how obsessed they are with french players.

Seriously... given the choice... I bet Bergeron and his gang of yahoos would probably choose Lecavalier over Ovechkin... thats how nuts they are.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 07:53 AM
SpreeEndaz

Souray - Rivet - Garth Murray and a 3rd round pick for Lecavalier and make him play on defense.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Kovy, Markov and 2 1st round picks for a turd like Lecavalier?????
lol, Lecavalier would easily be the best player on the Habs.

I'd give Feaster just about anything he wanted for him, within reason of course.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 08:34 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

There's no hope of fitting Lecavalier's salary in with all the key UFA/RFAs we have to sign this offseason. Markov, Souray, Ryder and Higgins will take up all the room we would have.

11-07-2006, 09:13 AM
suffocator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
lol, Lecavalier would easily be the best player on the Habs.

I'd give Feaster just about anything he wanted for him, within reason of course.

that's why you are not the GM...

suffocator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Leon_La_Came

They won't trade Lecavalier. He's still young and have room to improve, he's not 30 yrs old. If Tampa makes a trade to save some money, it will probably be St.Louis. Also, if they trade Vinny they they will want young players with cheap contracts in return. Otherwise, it's trading just for trading: it won't help the organisation for years to come.

How's my english???

Leon_La_Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 09:42 AM
kostybros

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffocator View Post
that's why you are not the GM...
i'm glad as well.

in new cap system, first round pick are worth a pot of gold because you can get a very good player for 850K durong 3 years. lecavalier is just a litle bit better than kovy but we give up our best D for that. Our PP would be horrible...

kostybros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
If a deal were to be made, and this is only the type of if used in conversation, I doubt anything's on the table, there are 2 aspects from TB's perspective.

They take on salary in return, but 06-07 salary only. Whether it's Markov,Souray, they get some immediate help but have cap room going into next year. They also need young talent that can play next year as the fan base will question why they should spend $ on a team that traded a star for cap room.

IMO, that makes Kovalev a hard guy to include, unless their GM has some scenario that Kovalev would thrive in, but I don't see Torterella and Kovalev being buddies. So, Souray,Markov,Rivet,Bonk, a goalie, whatever needs to be done to fit him in.
Right again Kimosabe - From TB perspective, the matching of salaries only needs to occur for this year and next year they can add from UFA's. I can see one of Rivet-Souray-Markov, Bonk and a top prospect moving.

From a Habs perspective, I not sure the financials for Vinny will ever work. For 2006-2007, their top 4 salarys (Koivu, Kovy, Samsonov, Huet) will command 16,5 mill. Add the Vinny 7 mill and you now have 23 mill tied up in 5 players. Not a very good situation when you have a bunch of UFA's and RFA's to sign. I think for this deal to go down, Feaster needs to take one of those for salaries off the Habs plate. Therefore, from a Habs perspective - one of Rivet-Souray-Markov/Huet/top prospect.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 09:55 AM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Koivu was on pace for 164 goals, 82 assists after the 1st game.
just wait and see ^^

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_La_Came View Post
They won't trade Lecavalier. He's still young and have room to improve, he's not 30 yrs old. If Tampa makes a trade to save some money, it will probably be St.Louis. Also, if they trade Vinny they they will want young players with cheap contracts in return. Otherwise, it's trading just for trading: it won't help the organisation for years to come.

How's my english???
I agree nothing will happen...First, Vinny is arguably Tampa's best player so far...so why trade him? Second, Vinny's contract is very $$ large, so Feaster will be dealing from a bad position. Either he gets fleeced like the Bruins did last year to free up cap room for next year or he stands pat and plays out the season as they are.

I don't think Feaster will do the trade because he will make his signings look ridiculous.(which they where)

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:00 AM
psychonaut

Why would we trade for Vinny @ 6.85 a year. When we could just get someone like Briere for probably less and not give up anything?? There many ufa and much much more to come.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:03 AM
RC51

AAAAAAAAAAAH yes!
This a most interesting time in the NHL.
This the the reality check for many GM'S

Those that signed players to big multi year contracts have their hands tied in making deals. The Gm meetings will prove to be the wake up call.
Those that are stuck will want to make moves BUT it will be a buyers market. Those with Cap room ( not many) hold the cards.
Yes some players will move but some are really stuck.The very best player will get all the attention but thats about it.

Sure a few cheap moves and maybe 1 BIG name move and then all the rest of the stuck GM'S will go home not knowing what to do next. ( the reality check) Dumping and making up cap space is not as easy as it sounds.

After all is said and done, the GM's that still have cap space just have to wait it out until a very sweet deal comes their way.

How bad is it for some teams? well if your at or near 44 mil and your team is just plain BAD, your out of options. Nobody wants your players, your contracts. Everyone wants your BEST assets in compensation to help you out. Wait for the trade deadline and HOPE somebody wants a rent a player for nothing in return.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:05 AM
xIsle

Quote:
These are terrible! Lecavalier has low value due to his terrible contract! He can be had for ALOT, ALOT less. Alot less.
And what about Samsonov? He has no value at all! So how a team can offer A LOT LESS than that?

On a Tampa Bay point of view, there is no way they say yes to any of these proposals accept of course to the Michel Bergeron one. But than again that doesnt make much sense for Montreal... They would give up too much.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:12 AM
RC51

Give up next to nothing, let them die
Any GM that insists on big return for his BIG problem contract player is in dreamland and will just wait himself out of the playoffs forever.
Owners wont stand for that for years, thats for sure.
GM heads will roll.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Teufelsdreck

Those jabbering monkeys would trade a cow for 4 liters of milk.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

I dunno about Lecavalier, the guy is pretty much playing in a calm environment ( althoug with a psycho coach ) he won a Stanley Cup there etc...

But the guy still can't put a decent '' Elite '' Level season on the ice ...

Can you imagine the pressure in Montreal ?

he'd get destroyed here AND he knows it ... if I was him I'd give to Tortorella whatever makes him happy, I dunno, a Shave or whatever Tabasco he sniffs ...

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Teufelsdreck

Lecavalier would be nice to have but unaffordable and would strip the Habs of too much talent in return. Do the fans on this forum realize that the Habs don't have a single potentially elite prospect in Hamilton? That means they would have to give up talented younger players already on the roster.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Vinny can be had for Ryder and a 2nd.

It would be a bad deal too. Ryder could very well outscore Vinny, for about $5 million less.

Vinny has alot of potential, but the fact is he is a 70 pt player with a $7 million contract. It's one of the worst ones in hockey right now...People complain that Kovalev and Koivu are overpaid...yeesh!
Where do you get this? I think the deal would've been done by now if that were the case.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Where do you get this? I think the deal would've been done by now if that were the case.
Don't you know? It's the mighty power of the "2nd"......Gainey offered Ryder and a 1st but Tampa doesn't want it but a 2nd.....Gainey is not so sure he wants to go that far.....Feaster is just waiting....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote