HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Marcus Johansson could be traded

Old
08-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Tkachuk = Cowbell

vCash: 2403
Stempniak isn't a great player, but he's very solid defensively. He's really grown into a very reliable two-way forward who can score. Not a flashy guy, but he does his job every night and tries very hard. He can play 2nd or 3rd line no problem and does what is asked of him. I personally view him as an Alex Steen type.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 09:11 PM
knoxdown

vCash: 500
Booth + Tanev + 2nd

Johansson + Ward

knoxdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 09:15 PM
FifthLine

Franson for Mj

FifthLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherVaughn30 View Post
MarJoke is a good player to trade for if your team DOESN'T regularly make the playoffs, DOESN'T need a forward who can finish, DOESN'T need a forward who can check, DOESN'T need a forward who has good puck possession and you DON'T want your team GM to get a fair deal in return.

MarJoke's strengths: Fast skater, good in open OLYMPIC ice space(oops, this is the NHL) and good chemistry with only Swedish players.

I would like to point out rule #1 of the George McPhee Club, 1st round draft picks(who have already played in the lineup) are never traded because they are overvalued and they are held in high regard(revenue machine) by the owner, Ted "Raisin, Once A Big Fat Plump Grape" Leonsis.

P.S. - I am a Caps fan.
Oh, I have no problem believing that. That's the sort of frothing rant that can only come from someone who's chosen a whipping boy on his/her team and watched that player over and over, blind to anything except his faults.

Can't think of a reasonable offer from Columbus, and we could use another LW.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 09:48 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I, like many, assume the Caps are going to carry 13 forwards and 8 defensemen. Doubtful that either Oleksy or Kundratek are sent back to the AHL, given that neither is waiver exempt, and Kundratek would probably be sent down before Oleksy (though he would be the replacement for a Carlson or Green injury). There's also potential the Caps could trade Kundratek instead of waiving him, like they did with Sami Lepisto, to avoid losing him for nothing.

The final forward will likely be Michael Latta at $700K or Tom Wilson at ~$1.3M. Even with Latta winning that spot, acquiring Klesla would leave less than $2M for Grabovski.
Okay, good to know about the 8 defensemen.

Is Laich so ineffective at center at this point in his career that you wouldn't trust him at 2C? Or is just that you'd prefer him playing first line over the alternatives either existing on the roster or in UFA? I would think Erat would be next in line to take over 1LW if Johansson did get moved. 2M left to sign Boyes, Raymond, Brunner, Morrow, etc for 2LW.

Last edited by IPreferPi: 08-12-2013 at 10:13 PM.
IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

To Phoenix for Klesla.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
frankthetank91

Where did the writer even get Australia from? Did he at least live there or something? Seems odd they would write that without even googling that he's Swedish.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 10:45 PM
The Podium

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Where did the writer even get Australia from? Did he at least live there or something? Seems odd they would write that without even googling that he's Swedish.
Nathan walker is an Aussie not MoJo

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 10:47 PM
frankthetank91

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Nathan walker is an Aussie not MoJo
Oh woops completely misread.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Okay, good to know about the 8 defensemen.

Is Laich so ineffective at center at this point in his career that you wouldn't trust him at 2C? Or is just that you'd prefer him playing first line over the alternatives either existing on the roster or in UFA? I would think Erat would be next in line to take over 1LW if Johansson did get moved. 2M left to sign Boyes, Raymond, Brunner, Morrow, etc for 2LW.
I actually don't mind Laich at center, as opposed to most Caps fans. That being said, I'd prefer him at 3C instead of 2C and would be very open to upgrading 2C.
There isn't much skill on the second line, which is why Erat is a better fit there for now. Depending on who is the 2nd line center, either Laich or Erat could be the 1LW. If it's someone like Grabovski, Erat is still likely the better fit to keep up with Grabo's tempo and to help distribute the puck to both Grabo and Brouwer. Laich can very well fill the Mike Knuble-type role with Backstrom and Ovechkin as the 1LW as well.
None of those "2LW" options are particularly appealing to put on a line with Laich and Brouwer. That would essentially be a glorified third line, with all north-south guys and not much skill or playmaking ability.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:02 PM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

Quote:
I actually don't mind Laich at center, as opposed to most Caps fans. That being said, I'd prefer him at 3C instead of 2C and would be very open to upgrading 2C.
There isn't much skill on the second line, which is why Erat is a better fit there for now. Depending on who is the 2nd line center, either Laich or Erat could be the 1LW. If it's someone like Grabovski, Erat is still likely the better fit to keep up with Grabo's tempo and to help distribute the puck to both Grabo and Brouwer. Laich can very well fill the Mike Knuble-type role with Backstrom and Ovechkin as the 1LW as well.
None of those "2LW" options are particularly appealing to put on a line with Laich and Brouwer. That would essentially be a glorified third line, with all north-south guys and not much skill or playmaking ability.
So where does Mathieu Perreault fit? I'd really like to acquire him as a Yotes fan, too. I think he'd maybe be good in a Ray Whitney role on our Czech line.

Doan-Ribeiro-Boedker
Perreault-Hanzal-Vrbata

08-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
So where does Mathieu Perreault fit? I'd really like to acquire him as a Yotes fan, too. I think he'd maybe be good in a Ray Whitney role on our Czech line.

Doan-Ribeiro-Boedker
Perreault-Hanzal-Vrbata
Right now, most are penciling him as 3C between some combination of Chimera, Ward, and Fehr. Personally, if this is the roster the Caps are going with, I'd like to see him given a chance at 2C with Laich at 3C (to have more skill in the top six and a true shutdown line).

For whatever reason, the Caps have never really given Perreault a shot at left wing. He's played up and down the line-up at center, but none of the coaches have played him at wing, with Oates even resorting to the likes of Hendricks, Volpatti, and an ice cold Chimera as injury replacement top 6 LWers while Perreault was healthy and playing lower in the line-up.
Oates and Boudreau also seem to have had problems with how Perreault plays the system, with Oates actually calling Perreault out after he got injured against the Flyers for trying to do too much with the puck and Boudreau being known to yell at him during practice. Not sure if that's why Perreault hasn't been given more chances to fill top six spots.

Old
08-13-2013, 12:10 AM
TheOllieC
cajun filet

vCash: 600
Im trying to think of a reasonable CBJ offer for him because they could use him.

Maybe a deal around Nikitin? They'll have to move one of their D to get that winger help and it shouldn't hurt them if Murray comes in and plays top 4.

TheOllieC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 12:58 AM
caper08

Would something around MoJo for Josh Georges work? Top 4 LHD dman...

caper08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:38 AM
lukeleim

Nazem Kadri, John-Michael Liles, Matt Finn and the Leafs' 1st rd draft pick of 2014 for Marcus Johansson, John Carlson and the Capitals' 3rd rd draft pick of 2014.

lukeleim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 04:17 AM
DeltaSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
If Nathan Walker wins a top six spot with Caps, they're in a hell of a lot of trouble.
that's not happening..

DeltaSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper08 View Post
This is the most workable proposal in the thread.

Old
08-13-2013, 09:16 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
This is the most workable proposal in the thread.
Unless the Habs retained salary, I don't know how the Caps can afford Gorges @ nearly 4M for the next 5 seasons if it's hard enough to afford Klesla @ 3M.

Old
08-13-2013, 10:00 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Not for Montreal, I'd wager.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 10:19 AM
mrinsane

Quote:
I'll pass

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Unless the Habs retained salary, I don't know how the Caps can afford Gorges @ nearly 4M for the next 5 seasons if it's hard enough to afford Klesla @ 3M.
We can afford Klesla, we'd just like a better return for Johansson than a guy who's an injury risk and potentially just a one year rental. If the return was Klesla and Vermette that's better, but we can't afford that without shipping out more salary, and you guys can't to lose Vermette with Gordon gone, etc. Johansson may be much maligned by the fan base, but he's a valuable player who's probably on our top line this year, and I can't believe McPhee would trade him without a long term solution at 2LD or 2C coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Not for Montreal, I'd wager.
If Montreal's management are anything like certain portions of their fan base, they'd be tripping over themselves to make that deal. In real life though, you're probably right.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 10:36 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeleim View Post
Nazem Kadri, John-Michael Liles, Matt Finn and the Leafs' 1st rd draft pick of 2014 for Marcus Johansson, John Carlson and the Capitals' 3rd rd draft pick of 2014.
Terrible deal from Toronto's POV.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillyboy93 View Post
8. WASHINGTON CAPITALSThe Capitals still have yet to re-sign Swedish forward Marcus Johansson, a restricted free agent. There are rumblings the club is looking to trade the 22-year-old, who spent most of 2013 at left wing alongside Nicklas Backstrom and captain Alex Ovechkin. A resolution should occur before the start of training camp next month. One player who is scheduled to attend Caps camp this year on a tryout basis is 19-year-old forward Nathan Walker, considered by many to be the best Australian hockey player ever produced by that continent.

According to hockey news

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...es.php?aid=503
I remember when MoJo came up, I was pretty impressed with him and thought he was underrated ect.

But now? He is pretty highly regarded. I just haven't been that impressed with him TBH.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 463
How about for Giordano?

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 11:00 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
We can afford Klesla, we'd just like a better return for Johansson than a guy who's an injury risk and potentially just a one year rental. If the return was Klesla and Vermette that's better, but we can't afford that without shipping out more salary, and you guys can't to lose Vermette with Gordon gone, etc. Johansson may be much maligned by the fan base, but he's a valuable player who's probably on our top line this year, and I can't believe McPhee would trade him without a long term solution at 2LD or 2C coming back.
Well, Gorges missed the final 46 games of the 2010-2011 season with a knee injury, so he's not without an injury history too. That being said, totally understand why'd he'd be more enticing of a return for Johansson, though somehow I really don't think the Habs would actually be interested.

That being said, I certainly understand your concerns in trying to maximize the return for a hypothetical MoJo trade. Unfortunately, I don't think we can really send back any forwards your way (well, forwards that fit your needs, anyways). But because I'd expect MoJo to be a long-term fixture in the Yotes's top 6 if we did get him, I'd consider throwing in Lessio (who projects to be a top 6 power forward) along with Klesla. I do emphasize I speak only for myself though with that consideration, and Lessio probably won't be NHL-ready for at another 2 years, so he wouldn't be able to immediately be plugged into your roster.

For now though, I think Klesla + 2014 2nd + conditional 2015 pick (2nd if he doesn't resign, 3rd if he does) is the maximum I'd offer for Johansson. But feel free to inquire about any other pieces we could add to make this work.