HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread V: Needs to End Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2013, 07:53 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Don't camps for American and Canadian Olympic teams start soon?

Old
08-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Lundsanity30

Gorton said he expects Stepan done before training camp opens.

Old
08-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Gorton said he expects Stepan done before training camp opens.
Maybe. We'll see. Thats PR junk coming from Gorton.

The Rangers negotiating stance boils down to "We don't have any cap space, and you don't have an offer sheet, so take the bridge deal." Can't imagine thats easy for Stepan to swallow considering hes coming off a very good season, and just watched his buddy McDonagh get handed a 6 year deal. In the end, Stepan has no arbitration rights and will need to cave - lets hope that doesnt damage the relationship.

Old
08-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

The Rangers negotiating stance boils down to "We don't have any cap space, and you don't have an offer sheet, so take the bridge deal." Can't imagine thats easy for Stepan to swallow considering hes coming off a very good season, and just watched his buddy McDonagh get handed a 6 year deal. In the end, Stepan has no arbitration rights and will need to cave - lets hope that doesnt damage the relationship.
Yeah, soon we will see Brooks write a article about how great Slats offer is for Stepan. Like 3.5-4m per for 2 years.

Old
08-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:

The Rangers negotiating stance boils down to "We don't have any cap space, and you don't have an offer sheet, so take the bridge deal." Can't imagine thats easy for Stepan to swallow considering hes coming off a very good season, and just watched his buddy McDonagh get khanded a 6 year deal. In the end, Stepan has no arbitration rights and will need to cave - lets hope that doesnt damage the relationship.
I'm sure he will be paid next contract and he knows that quite well I'm sure, but we will see what happens

Old
08-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 580
Anyone know when they are officially allowed to reassign players?

Old
08-13-2013, 11:07 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
Anyone know when they are officially allowed to reassign players?
Last week of camp, I think.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:10 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:

None of the relationships with the players have been damaged with the Rangers philosophy.

Quote:
Stepan said, I wanna be here for sure, I am a little biased, I think this is the greatest organization. I have been here since day 1 and they have treated me so nicely. I want to stay here and I want my career to end here.
http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/20...on-his-future/

The audio

https://soundcloud.com/lohud/derek-stepan-5-27-13

He signs a two year deal. In the summer of 2015,Stepan signs a long-term deal when the cap is close to $75M or more.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:10 AM
DudMan28

Quote:
I'm sure he will be paid next contract and he knows that quite well I'm sure, but we will see what happens
He'll get paid if he can keep it up. There is no guarantee that he will keep his near ppg pace next season, which is why it is smart for him to try and ink a long term deal now.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Lundsanity30

Gorton might also be waiting til he can assign players to the AHL or free up money to give Stepan a long term deal. Thats possible too

Old
08-13-2013, 11:15 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Don't camps for American and Canadian Olympic teams start soon?
The American team is not having any ice activities. Off ice orientation stuff. Insurance is too high. The Canadians were still looking at insurance rates.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Last week of camp, I think.
Thanks, I was under the impression it was like 12 days or something before the season

Quote:
Gorton might also be waiting til he can assign players to the AHL or free up money to give Stepan a long term deal. Thats possible too
Also the injury risk. There has to be a point where the lure of more guaranteed money and the security that comes with it overcomes the possibility of the player leaving some money on the table over those years.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:18 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
Thanks, I was under the impression it was like 12 days or something before the season
It might be. Or maybe 10 days. I don't recall exactly.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:23 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Gorton can't place a player on waivers until the waiver period begins which isn't until a week into training camp

Quote:
13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:
Camps open September 11. 20 day training camp. Season begins Tuesday October 1. 12 days prior to October 1 is September 19. Asham and Powe can't be placed on waivers until then.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
None of the relationships with the players have been damaged with the Rangers philosophy.

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/20...on-his-future/

The audio

https://soundcloud.com/lohud/derek-stepan-5-27-13

He signs a two year deal. In the summer of 2015,Stepan signs a long-term deal when the cap is close to $75M or more.
Would be the most ideal solution. If Stepan's agent isn't difficult.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:26 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

There are some names still out there that are just hanging around on august 13th as september gets closer and closer.

Mason Raymond is the name that intrigues me the most.
Brendan Morrow I'd also take a flier on.

Selanne, Grabo, Antropov, and Mueller also sitting around, though obviously Selanne probably heading back to ANA.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:29 AM
JDs Straight Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Selanne, Grabo, Antropov, and Mueller also sitting around, though obviously Selanne probably heading back to ANA.
Antropov signed in the KHL

Old
08-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
There are some names still out there that are just hanging around on august 13th as september gets closer and closer.

Mason Raymond is the name that intrigues me the most.
Brendan Morrow I'd also take a flier on.

The Rangers cant afford to take a flier on anyone. In fact, they'll likely need to nip and cut further once Stepan gets signed.

The Rangers have a million forwards already - they're not bringing more in.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:38 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

THN picked the Rangers to finish 2nd in the division.

Quote:
The Hockey News has released their 2013-14 yearbook and their predictions for how the Metropolitan division standings will shake out.

They have the Penguins finishing in first place and the Rangers in second place and the Flyers in third place.

All three of those teams have playoff spots locked up. They predict that only three of the eight Eastern Conference playoff spots will come from the Metro division and that Montreal and Toronto will pick up the last two spots and both finish with more points than Columbus (picked 4th in the Metro division).
http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/20...ce=twitterfeed

MTL and TO are the wildcards. Boston,Detroit and Ottawa as the 3 playoff teams from the Atlantic division.

The Islanders fans won't be happy. They believe the NHL included them in the outdoor game because they're are a team on the come.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
True, Im sure things will be fine between Rangers brass and Stepan, he seems to have his head on straight. Im sure Stepan's relationship with the fans will take a hit the longer this goes on but, truth be told, anyone whining about how long a negotiation is going on is an idiot.

However, I do budgeting and business planning for a living. I essentially argue about money all day -- and I've seen plenty of good people go off the deep end when it comes to the subject of dollars. So, while I think this will go smoothly, nothing would surprise me.

Old
08-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
If they wait until they can assign players to Hartford, Stepan misses training camp--unless he's willing to come to camp without a contract.

Old
08-13-2013, 01:24 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
The Rangers cant afford to take a flier on anyone. In fact, they'll likely need to nip and cut further once Stepan gets signed.

The Rangers have a million forwards already - they're not bringing more in.
I was thinking more along the lines of a camp invite for one who doesnt get any offers.

Old
08-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Islanders would be contenders if they bothered to fill their hole at G, but they didn't.

Old
08-13-2013, 01:35 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Islanders would be contenders if they bothered to fill their hole at G, but they didn't.
Yeha, Nebakov is only a little better than Fluery, hence why the Isles/penguins series last season averaged 3-6 goals per game between both teams

Old
08-13-2013, 01:42 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Here's how I see the Patrick shaking out...

y-Pittsburgh Penguins
y-New York Rangers
y-New York Islanders
x-Philadelphia Flyers
Stupid intruder #1
Washington Capitals
New Jersey Devils
Stupid intruder #2

We'll take care of the Isles in 6 or 7. It'll be a battle.

Closed Thread