HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrew MacDonald's next contract

Old
08-13-2013, 09:10 AM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Sorry, I guess I was not clear enough. I meant that if the Islanders were to sign Amac for 4 or 5 years, it would give the Pulock's and Mayfield's time to develop. THEN Amac would have around 2 years left, which would be very tradeable.

Oh boy... You really want to replace Amac's 20 or so minutes a night with DeHann who has ONE NHL game under his belt? wow
Yes. 100%.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:38 AM
crasherino

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
3.5 per, 6 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
i would offer this. could he get more elsewhere? i believe so, but i would peg his value at no more than $4 per.

the Isles definitely have need for him, for a few years at least. his experience is valuable, but the Isles are lacking in grit on D, so....

while not be the best idea to slot a youngster in his place (DeHaan, Donovan, etc...), there is also the possibility that one of the kids can exceed what AM is doing, for cheaper. not that cap space is an issue, but 'homegrown' and 'budget' seem to be the key words in Snow's long term plan. the 'kids' will be 23 and 24 in 2014, and are high draft picks. not really kids anymore.

a lot will depend on how Donovan and DeHaan play this year. and wildcards Reinhart, Mayfield, and Pedan. and wilder-cards, Dalhuesin (sp?), Pokka, Pelech and Pulock.
Assuming he at least matches his past performance, he will undoubtedly get more on the open market - probably around 5yr/$25m. If we peg his value at $3.5m - $4m (which I think is right) all you need is a team that really needs a lot of minutes from a dependable dman. Throw in the fact that there will be some cap space and AMac is only 26, $5m/yr is quite plausible.

The Isles may be in a pickle come FA time. The young wave of Dmen won't be fully ready by 14' and thats when they have to make a decision on Amac. He may be expendable - assuming Reinhart, Pulock, Donovan, Pokka, Pelech, etc. are the real deal. But we won't fully know that until 15' or even 16'. Ideally the Isles would have him for one extra year so they can decide whether they want/need him - but that's not reality.

Assuming there's no regression or significant injury, he'll be offered far more on the open market than the NYI will be willing to pay him. JMO.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:52 AM
dfunk

vCash: 550
He's a good cape breton boy. I know him on a personal level and is one of the most humble NHL players I've met - mind you that isn't a big sample size. I think he really appreciates that the Islanders gave him his shot to play in the NHL and also realizes the potential that team has. I cannot see him walking and I'd be surprised if he didn't take a bit of a discount.

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:53 PM
startainfection

4.5 per for 7 years, cap will just keep going up and the isle shave a seemingly infinite amount of cap space now

he is the isles safest dman imo

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:04 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Yes. 100%.
deHaan isn't ready, and it won't take him a year to replace AMac.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Beyond the logical problems with projecting a guy who has played a grand total of one NHL game to the top pairing, de Haan's shoulder issues concern me. He is going to need at least a full healthy year in the AHL before he contends for a job. And, if he suffers another shoulder injury/dislocation this year, you can stick a fork in his butt.

Sadly, another talented kid whose career has been derailed by injuries.

08-13-2013, 04:17 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Beyond the logical problems with projecting a guy who has played a grand total of one NHL game to the top pairing, de Haan's shoulder issues concern me. He is going to need at least a full healthy year in the AHL before he contends for a job. And, if he suffers another shoulder injury/dislocation this year, you can stick a fork in his butt.

Sadly, another talented kid whose career has been derailed by injuries.
Agreed, and it's extremely unfortunate. I pushed hard for him at the draft (didn't expect him to go 12th but whatever). Just so nice that there's a bunch of other prospects that can make up for the loss of deHaan if he is to get hurt again. Reinhart, Donovan, Pedan, and Pelech are all very good LH defensemen in the system. They don't have to bank on CDH anymore.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:35 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
If AMac is really a #2 d like some have claimed you keep him. It's that simple.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:38 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
MacDonald has for the most part, played solid shutdown mins on the first pairing. He has had shaky stretches.
I think the front office hopes one of Reinhart or Pulock, eventually push him out of his first pairing spot.

What is playing solid, underrated mins worth? With so many promising blueline prospects, how many yrs do you give MacDonald?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
A true #2 he is not. Top 4 yes. I'd be furious if the Isles let him walk.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:05 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
MacDonald has for the most part, played solid shutdown mins on the first pairing. He has had shaky stretches.
I think the front office hopes one of Reinhart or Pulock, eventually push him out of his first pairing spot.

What is playing solid, underrated mins worth? With so many promising blueline prospects, how many yrs do you give MacDonald?
doesn't really matter how many years you give him if you don't give him a no trade.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:04 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
4.5 per for 7 years
for that kind of deal to happen, he better become the next denis ****ing potvin in the 2013-14 season.

ichabod13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:21 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
CdH is a similar style defenseman with maybe a bit more offensive upside. I think he is also pretty close to being ready for a full-time gig, but probably not replacing AMac's minutes. Also, you have to remember CdH has a pretty rough injury history for such a young kid. Those injuries and big NHL minutes could mean hes the more talented version of Martinek.(meaning hell play well, but will end up playing 40ish games a year)

as far as AMacs deal goes...id offer him 25 over 6 years and work from there. anything more than 27 over 6 is overpayment.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Sheva7

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
CdH is a similar style defenseman with maybe a bit more offensive upside. I think he is also pretty close to being ready for a full-time gig, but probably not replacing AMac's minutes. Also, you have to remember CdH has a pretty rough injury history for such a young kid. Those injuries and big NHL minutes could mean hes the more talented version of Martinek.(meaning hell play well, but will end up playing 40ish games a year)

as far as AMacs deal goes...id offer him 25 over 6 years and work from there. anything more than 27 over 6 is overpayment.
No way I would commit that type of term to Macdonald. He's a nice player and a good team guy but he is not anywhere close to the type of player that should be signed for 6 years. Just look at the Liles and Komisarek deals, things got real hairy real fast with those 2, I don't want that to be us.

IMO the guy is playing over his head and does not warrant the type of deal a legit #2dman would normally command.
At best I see him as a solid #4 on a real good team.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 01:51 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
doesn't really matter how many years you give him if you don't give him a no trade.
Only one player on the roster, has a NTC: Viz.
It is a partial NTC. It ends during the 2nd season.
I like MacDonald, hope he signs an extension, but don't want him getting even a partial NTC. They just tie the gm's hands.

Old
08-15-2013, 01:56 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Only one player on the roster, has a NTC: Viz.
It is a partial NTC. It ends during the 2nd season.
I like MacDonald, hope he signs an extension, but don't want him getting even a partial NTC. They just tie the gm's hands.
what I meant was that if you don't give him a NTC you can move him when eventually some of the prospects are ready to handle top 4 roles.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
what I meant was that if you don't give him a NTC you can move him when eventually some of the prospects are ready to handle top 4 roles.
Which is exactly what I want. 4 years, 16 million. 2 years down the line when Reinhart replaces Visnovsky, they can trade Amac for a nice piece and replace him with Pulock.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 02:02 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Oh my bad.

I thought you were saying , he would ask for a NTC.

Old
08-15-2013, 02:03 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

5 year / 15 million

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Which is exactly what I want. 4 years, 16 million. 2 years down the line when Reinhart replaces Visnovsky, they can trade Amac for a nice piece and replace him with Pulock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
5 year / 15 million
The guy has averaged 23:30 over the last 3 years, which was either 1st or 2nd on the team. And it's not like he's getting sheltered, he's a minute munching d-man who plays an "quiet" game.

Maybe he'll sign the type of contract you're talking about. But realize that a 34 YO guy who IMO is a #5 d-man justed signed a 4 years deal for $3.4M per year (Ference). Then factor in that Amac has basically been playing at the league minimum for 4 years (which would make it less likely that he's willing to leave big $'s on the table), and that the cap will be going up substantially next year and guys who are UFA eligible will likely really get paid.

I'd be shocked if he signed for less than $4.5, and would not be surprised at all if he got $5M.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 02:46 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
The guy has averaged 23:30 over the last 3 years, which was either 1st or 2nd on the team. And it's not like he's getting sheltered, he's a minute munching d-man who plays an "quiet" game.

Maybe he'll sign the type of contract you're talking about. But realize that a 34 YO guy who IMO is a #5 d-man justed signed a 4 years deal for $3.4M per year (Ference). Then factor in that Amac has basically been playing at the league minimum for 4 years (which would make it less likely that he's willing to leave big $'s on the table), and that the cap will be going up substantially next year and guys who are UFA eligible will likely really get paid.

I'd be shocked if he signed for less than $4.5, and would not be surprised at all if he got $5M.
You're probably right but I'll bet Snow won't give him that much.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 03:16 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
de Haan is not as similar to AMac as some of you may think.

AMac is a shot blocking machine who relies more on positioning while de Haan is more of a defenseman who uses his skating to neutralize opponents and get out of trouble.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 03:27 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
You're probably right but I'll bet Snow won't give him that much.
Yeah, no shot snow gives him that and I doubt AMac is looking for that much.

AMac has been a trooper for the Isles the last few years but it's clear he's been in a bit too much over his head, like Frans playing the 2C. I think AMac knows this too and takes something under 4M per.

AMac is a second pairing defenseman who has shown he can handle top pairing minutes.

Old
08-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Sheva7

If Hickey and Strait can show that they are capable of logging more minutes this year, I would be fine with trading away AMacs rights next June. He is the perfect example of a guy we can't over-commit to.

2014/15 Blueline
Big Griff - Hamonic
Hickey - Vis (or potential UFA)
Strait - Donovan

And...

DeHaan/Mayfield/Pedan/Pulock/Pokka/Pelech will be waiting in the wings

So, in 2015 all of these guys will be 1 or 2 years away from potentially cracking the line up as well. Now considering that, do we really need to lock up AMAC for 4/5 years? IF his play drops off like Liles/KOmi/Streit etc, we'll have another buyout on our hands.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 03:53 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
If Hickey and Strait can show that they are capable of logging more minutes this year, I would be fine with trading away AMacs rights next June. He is the perfect example of a guy we can't over-commit to.

2014/15 Blueline
Big Griff - Hamonic
Hickey - Vis (or potential UFA)
Strait - Donovan

And...

DeHaan/Mayfield/Pedan/Pulock/Pokka/Pelech will be waiting in the wings

So, in 2015 all of these guys will be 1 or 2 years away from potentially cracking the line up as well. Now considering that, do we really need to lock up AMAC for 4/5 years? IF his play drops off like Liles/KOmi/Streit etc, we'll have another buyout on our hands.
Teams that are looking to make serious playoff runs don't pencil in rookie defenseman on their top pairing, sorry.