HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Higgins Out Six Weeks

Old
11-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

vCash: 500
Bring up both Kostitsyn and Lapierre.

Samsonov-Kovalev-Perezhogin
Kostitsyn-Koivu-Ryder
Latendresse-Plekanec-Johnson
Begin-Bonk-Lapierre

We need to replace skill with skill.

And Downey/Murray are not as necessary as people seem to think. They don't really instill fear into the opposition if you ask me. Lapierre is awesome, and he might even work his way onto the 3rd line.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
You're clearly a big fan of his, hopefully the boys will still give you plenty of reason to cheer tonight, even if Higgins isn't playing.
the question is, how can you NOT be a fan of his?

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
You're clearly a big fan of his, hopefully the boys will still give you plenty of reason to cheer tonight, even if Higgins isn't playing.

HUGE fan!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
big_habs_fan

Too bad for Higgins - hope he has a quick recovery.

That being said, the team will have to pick up the slack, especially on the PK where he was dynamite.

My question: Since Higgins will now be out for an extended period, does Carbo bring up someone from Hamilton now? The 'Lats to the first' move was made I think with the idea that Higgins would only be out for 1 or 2 games.

Perhaps they should recall Kostitsyn and play him with Koivu and Ryder. Keep Latendresse protected with Bonk and Johnson (where he has looked his best all year) that could be a better move. Besides, I don't want Murray and Downey in the lineup at the same time for an extended period.

Lines would be:

Kostitsyn - Koivu - Ryder
Samsanov - Kovalev - Perezhogin
Latendresse - Bonk - Johnson
Begin - Plekanec - Downey

That could work for a six week period IMO.

Go Habs Go

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
Bring up both Kostitsyn and Lapierre.

Samsonov-Kovalev-Perezhogin
Kostitsyn-Koivu-Ryder
Latendresse-Bonk-Johnson
Begin-Plekanec-Lapierre
thats the way i see it..

u cant take bonk and johnson apart

Old
11-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_habs_fan View Post
Too bad for Higgins - hope he has a quick recovery.

That being said, the team will have to pick up the slack, especially on the PK where he was dynamite.

My question: Since Higgins will now be out for an extended period, does Carbo bring up someone from Hamilton now? The 'Lats to the first' move was made I think with the idea that Higgins would only be out for 1 or 2 games.

Perhaps they should recall Kostitsyn and play him with Koivu and Ryder. Keep Latendresse protected with Bonk and Johnson (where he has looked his best all year) that could be a better move. Besides, I don't want Murray and Downey in the lineup at the same time for an extended period.

Lines would be:

Kostitsyn - Koivu - Ryder
Samsanov - Kovalev - Perezhogin
Latendresse - Bonk - Johnson
Begin - Plekanec - Downey

That could work for a six week period IMO.

Go Habs Go
Can Kostitsyn be called up for any period of time or is there a limit as to how many NHL games he can play this year? I don't think there is but I wanna double-check

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
thats the way i see it..

Why not? It's not like Bonk only started playing hockey only when Johnson descended into a Habs uniform.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
terreur

Yeah, I think Kost should be given a call. He didn't really deserve to be sent back at the training camp. Now it's is time to show us what he can do. If he struggle, we could try Johnson-Koivu-Ryder and call Laps to play on the 4th.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Didn't expect that at all......

I say bring Kosty as well. As much as it was and is a test for Lats, it's time we see what the great Kosty is all about, especially with NHL players.

And I'm pretty sure, he wouldn't do a bad job.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
the question is, how can you NOT be a fan of his?
Not sure if that was a general question or if you actually believe that I'm not a fan of his. If the latter, I definately am a fan of his. People compare him to Drury (one of my favourite players in the league) so I like the thought of Higgins being with us for a long time yet.

Quick question for those more in touch with the Montreal media: When Kostitsyn was sent down there was talk of his situation being reviewed around the 20 game mark. Was there any fact behind that or was it just people guessing what would/could happen?

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
thats the way i see it..

Well, I agree that Bonk and Johnson made some wonderful music together, but so did Plekanec and Johnson in preseason.

Ideally, you'd have Plekanec-Bonk-Johnson, but then you end up with Lats playing with Begin, which didn't make for a strong line.

I personally prefer Bonk with Begin than Plekanec with Begin, since I think it would make for more balanced lines, but I guess I don't mind seeing the lines as you tweaked them.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Turbo

Sucks....

Time for the others to pick-up the slack.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Why not? It's not like Bonk only started playing hockey only when Johnson descended into a Habs uniform.
ur right, he started along time ago, but he started playing GOOD hockey when Johnson descended into a Habs uniform.

Many ppl have said it, myself included, bonk hasnt played this well, in a LONG LONG time.

Old
11-07-2006, 10:29 AM
AH

Bonk played perfectly fine last 1/3 of the season once his torn groin was healed.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Artyukhin*

darn .

lets hope 6 weeks doesnt turn into frank boullion .

dig deep boys and do it for higgins !!

go habs go !!!

wish you a very speedy recovery chris higgins . were going really really miss you .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Judge Sauer*

Wasn't expecting to read that this morning. I don't expect Kosti or Laps to be called up. If anyone does, it'll be someone for the third/fourth line to play some minutes.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Guillermo

Send a message via AIM to Guillermo Send a message via Yahoo to Guillermo
Bad break for the Habs, but we'll make it! Correct me if I'm wrong, but all our forwards will play tonight against Edmonton, which gives us a fourth line of Downey-Pleks-Murray. Something I'm not that comfortable with.

Carbo mentionned that he'll call someone from the farm for next trip. Now will he call a grinder to play on the 4th line (possibly Lapierre) or an offensive dynamo (possibly Kosty )? I might be biased but I really feel Kosty would do better on the first line than Latendresse. Tonight will be a big test for Latendresse! Your predictions for the upcoming decision?

Guillermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Not sure if that was a general question or if you actually believe that I'm not a fan of his. If the latter, I definately am a fan of his. People compare him to Drury (one of my favourite players in the league) so I like the thought of Higgins being with us for a long time yet.

Quick question for those more in touch with the Montreal media: When Kostitsyn was sent down there was talk of his situation being reviewed around the 20 game mark. Was there any fact behind that or was it just people guessing what would/could happen?
I haven't heard about that.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Būcheron View Post
Bad break for the Habs, but we'll make it! Correct me if I'm wrong, but all our forwards will play tonight against Edmonton, which gives us a fourth line of Downey-Pleks-Murray. Something I'm not that comfortable with.

Carbo mentionned that he'll call someone from the farm for next trip. Now will he call a grinder to play on the 4th line (possibly Lapierre) or an offensive dynamo (possibly Kosty )? I might be biased but I really feel Kosty would do better on the first line than Latendresse. Tonight will be a big test for Latendresse! Your predictions for the upcoming decision?
there only one thing we can do .

call up AJAY BAINES

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro oop007 View Post
Wasn't expecting to read that this morning. I don't expect Kosti or Laps to be called up. If anyone does, it'll be someone for the third/fourth line to play some minutes.
Who do you think would be called up if not Kostitsyn or Lapierre? Those are the 2 closest to the NHL at this point. And either could play minutes on the 3rd/4th if need be - especially Lapierre, who likely wouldn't see anything higher than 3rd anyway.

How is Kostitsyn's injury status? He missed a few games with a bad back a few weeks ago.

Only other possibility would be Ferland for 3rd/4th duty (I know he has to go through waivers but Habs might wish to do this now to get it over with). Still, it seems Laps & Kosty are closest to NHL right now.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:38 AM
THEREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
First off, Bonk was perfectly fine WITHOUT Johnson last season down the stretch and in the playoffs. We need to give Bonk more credit here.

So Perezhogin is making that line go? What have they done except for a few spurts? Give me a break.

Latendresse is not ready for anything beyond six minutes per game. Bringing up Lapierre is the 4th line replacement (or if you prefer put him on the 3rd to take over from Johnson).

This team is better with Higgins, but they are not terrible without him either.
AGREED...even without Higgins we are still a good team..

But i'.m wondering what changed so much since pre-season with the "bring back Kostytsyn when injury happens on top lines" scenario...is he not a good bandage now ?

THEREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Bob Bastards

I will say that until proven otherwise, Lats will have the spot and Lapierre will get the call, I mean he is the best player so far for the Bulldogs no?
Why call Kots if he didn't do ***** with the Dogs? I don't get the "BRING KOTS!!!" from some people here, what did he do to have such a fan club? And the worse part, its the same people who say Lats do not diserved to be with the big club...

I will let Carbo and Gainey decide the faith of this team, they do not let us down and I don't think they will, we are not talking about Bobby Clark here...

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Exactly, the problem is that not only you lose your most important player, but you also make Downey and Murray play regular minutes, but again you will want to avoid that so you'll overuse the others......but then you have Kovy who might have a sore knee......and then I'm not too confortable overusing Lats......but then you might want to bring Kosty and Lapierre up, which I would agree, but they need to blend in really quickly into our style, which will take a few games to do so.....

Which means, let's be patient, sure it might not go as well, but I have confidence, they'll find something, evidently they won't bring anybody as of yet, but might think of doing so if it's not working.......which they'll do I'm pretty sure......

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:40 AM
terreur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Būcheron View Post

You are not the only one!

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
But we have Latendresse to replace him!
He will prove so effective that he bumps Higgins off Koivu's line.

Seriously, Gainey will have to call someone up. There are no extras if any forward is injured in practice or becomes sick before a game.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote