HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Forsberg - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2013 undrafted)

Old
08-13-2013, 10:39 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Agreed. He's definitely more valuable to the Cougars if he actually comes to camp in shape, healthy, and is competing.

Who would be interested? A Saskatchewan team?
It would make a ton of sense for him to go to a SK team. I think the SK teams would be interested, too. I think all the 5 SK teams also have the assets to swing a deal to bring him in, too.

You just have to wonder where his value currently sits. I can't imagine it has lowered too much since he first decided to leave the team. Credit to the Cougars for holding strong in that regard. I know many teams were calling about him and it would've been tough not to just get a deal done and over with.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 11:07 AM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
It would make a ton of sense for him to go to a SK team. I think the SK teams would be interested, too. I think all the 5 SK teams also have the assets to swing a deal to bring him in, too.

You just have to wonder where his value currently sits. I can't imagine it has lowered too much since he first decided to leave the team. Credit to the Cougars for holding strong in that regard. I know many teams were calling about him and it would've been tough not to just get a deal done and over with.
He's definitely a guy the Cougars probably want to keep away from the incoming crop attitude wise.

It's a shame they'll never get back the proper value for a 1st overall bantam pick, but at this point, having not been drafted it looks like you could be getting him for at least 2 more years and probably and OA year as well.

Do you have an idea what his value would be to the Cougars? Any idea what they'd be after?

I really like Morrison and Harkins....hopefully find a veteran C to play with either of those two?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 12:09 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
He's definitely a guy the Cougars probably want to keep away from the incoming crop attitude wise.

It's a shame they'll never get back the proper value for a 1st overall bantam pick, but at this point, having not been drafted it looks like you could be getting him for at least 2 more years and probably and OA year as well.

Do you have an idea what his value would be to the Cougars? Any idea what they'd be after?

I really like Morrison and Harkins....hopefully find a veteran C to play with either of those two?
I know they're looking for D, in any shape or form.

Old
08-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
He has joined the ranks of Sam Calabrese and Devon MacAusland
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...21&postcount=3

I never understood why people hyped that kid.

I don't understand why Prince George is so dead set on keeping the kid... It's not good for them just as much as it's not good for him

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:47 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
I don't understand why Prince George is so dead set on keeping the kid... It's not good for them just as much as it's not good for him
Who said they are dead set on keeping him? They've been trying to trade him since last Christmas. Just because teams aren't meeting their asking price doesn't mean they want to keep him.

Old
08-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Who said they are dead set on keeping him? They've been trying to trade him since last Christmas. Just because teams aren't meeting their asking price doesn't mean they want to keep him.
They held on to him this long and now they talk him into committing to come back to their team? Seems like they're willing to bring him back to the team and there's no reason why they should. Ship him anywhere for anything and be glad the headache is gone.

Old
08-13-2013, 03:19 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
They held on to him this long and now they talk him into committing to come back to their team? Seems like they're willing to bring him back to the team and there's no reason why they should. Ship him anywhere for anything and be glad the headache is gone.
I've actually been on board with what they've been doing there. You don't let a single player control how you want to run as a franchise. You set a price, and stick to it.

As for him re-committing, I would imagine the move is being done to get his value up a bit to help facilitate a deal. Probably a move encouraged by both parties.

Old
08-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
I've actually been on board with what they've been doing there. You don't let a single player control how you want to run as a franchise. You set a price, and stick to it.

As for him re-committing, I would imagine the move is being done to get his value up a bit to help facilitate a deal. Probably a move encouraged by both parties.
Realistically what are people going to give up for a kid who has done nothing noteworthy in the league but plummet, quit on a team, and has the drama surrounding him the way he does.

If their asking price is the same as 3 years ago, he's not getting traded.

Old
08-13-2013, 04:00 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Realistically what are people going to give up for a kid who has done nothing noteworthy in the league but plummet, quit on a team, and has the drama surrounding him the way he does.

If their asking price is the same as 3 years ago, he's not getting traded.
It really depends I guess. To be honest, most WHL GM's would likely have the ability to view him as a WHL player, not as an NHL prospect. There's a difference there and many people on this board likely don't have the ability to separate the two.

To be flat out honest, he's shown he can be a very solid WHL performer and is being valued as such by the Cougars. He had 15 goals and 40 points in 51 games in his rookie season, playing on a bad bad team.

Sure, he doesn't have a very complete resume, but everyone who's watched him coming up know just how skilled he can be. Add that to the fact that as a 1995, he's got three more years of WHL eligibility and you've got a player that still has some solid value on the trade market.

Given their situation with prospects not wanting to report and their want to be a playoff team ASAP, I would fully expect them to be asking for a three headed package, with two of those pieces likely being assets that can play now in the league.

Old
08-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
It really depends I guess. To be honest, most WHL GM's would likely have the ability to view him as a WHL player, not as an NHL prospect. There's a difference there and many people on this board likely don't have the ability to separate the two.

To be flat out honest, he's shown he can be a very solid WHL performer and is being valued as such by the Cougars. He had 15 goals and 40 points in 51 games in his rookie season, playing on a bad bad team.

Sure, he doesn't have a very complete resume, but everyone who's watched him coming up know just how skilled he can be. Add that to the fact that as a 1995, he's got three more years of WHL eligibility and you've got a player that still has some solid value on the trade market.

Given their situation with prospects not wanting to report and their want to be a playoff team ASAP, I would fully expect them to be asking for a three headed package, with two of those pieces likely being assets that can play now in the league.
I don't think I said anything about him as an NHL prospect?

Didn't Prince George do this with Jesse to a certain extent, then ended up trading him when his value hit the floor?

The longer they wait the worse it gets. Him suiting up for PG isn't going to solve anything because he'll likely be unhappy there with his family adding to that unhappiness in PG. It's just all a headache for everyone involved if they can't move him - which if their asking price is indeed 2 pieces that can play now+, they're screwed or someone is going to get ripped off big time lol

Old
08-13-2013, 04:37 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I hope things work out for him. What a debacle.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 04:47 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I hope things work out for him. What a debacle.
I hope things work out for the Cougars. Definitely on the teams side in this predicament.

Old
08-13-2013, 05:16 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
I don't think I said anything about him as an NHL prospect?

Didn't Prince George do this with Jesse to a certain extent, then ended up trading him when his value hit the floor?

The longer they wait the worse it gets. Him suiting up for PG isn't going to solve anything because he'll likely be unhappy there with his family adding to that unhappiness in PG. It's just all a headache for everyone involved if they can't move him - which if their asking price is indeed 2 pieces that can play now+, they're screwed or someone is going to get ripped off big time lol
I never said you did.

Old
08-13-2013, 05:32 PM
puckfan13

This is very clearly a temporary situation because Thompson misevaluated the market for Forsberg at the deadline and wants to recoup some of that value.

I wish the Cougars could get reprimanded by the league for essentially holding Forsberg hostage. These are kids, not grown men, they go to high school, they eat in cafeterias with their friends and have to do math homework and final exams. They are living away very, very far away from home in environments strictly controlled by grown men with essentially full autonomy and their futures at stake. It is rosy to think that these junior coaches/managers are shaping boys into men - and a lot do, but clearly it isn't always the case. I will rarely if ever side with a team over a junior-aged players. Grown men in the NHL acting like crybabies is a different story, but these are kids. I have heard of some ridiculous treatment from Prince George to players, mostly related to former coach Dean Clark, but management is implicit in this as well. People that side with junior teams so emphatically in scenarios such as these really shows me they have never been around junior hockey extensively. It is the ignorance of how kids are treated at times (not all the time) that enables some (not all) coaches to abuse their powers, and quite frankly, treat players extremely poorly.

Alex should have been given a chance to prove his worth on another WHL team, IMO. I'm cheering for him to make it out of this with a pro shot at least and I hope he still loves the game - would be very unfortunate for a kid with such natural gifts to have his passion sucked away because of an ordeal like this. "Attitude problems" with kids at this age get wildly misinterpreted. It's not like he's a criminal or a deviant, I really am surprised at the lack of empathy for 17-year-old kids, don't think many here were faced with any kind of comparable pressures at that age. Major junior shouldn't be a meat market, they should be treated as students, sons, and teenagers like they are.

Last edited by puckfan13: 08-13-2013 at 05:39 PM.
puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 05:47 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
This is very clearly a temporary situation because Thompson misevaluated the market for Forsberg at the deadline and wants to recoup some of that value.

I wish the Cougars could get reprimanded by the league for essentially holding Forsberg hostage. These are kids, not grown men, they go to high school, they eat in cafeterias with their friends and have to do math homework and final exams. They are living away very, very far away from home in environments strictly controlled by grown men with essentially full autonomy and their futures at stake. It is rosy to think that these junior coaches/managers are shaping boys into men - and a lot do, but clearly it isn't always the case. I will rarely if ever side with a team over a junior-aged players. Grown men in the NHL acting like crybabies is a different story, but these are kids. I have heard of some ridiculous treatment from Prince George to players, mostly related to former coach Dean Clark, but management is implicit in this as well. People that side with junior teams so emphatically in scenarios such as these really shows me they have never been around junior hockey extensively. It is the ignorance of how kids are treated at times (not all the time) that enables some (not all) coaches to abuse their powers, and quite frankly, treat players extremely poorly.

Alex should have been given a chance to prove his worth on another WHL team, IMO. I'm cheering for him to make it out of this with a pro shot at least and I hope he still loves the game - would be very unfortunate for a kid with such natural gifts to have his passion sucked away because of an ordeal like this. "Attitude problems" with kids at this age get wildly misinterpreted. It's not like he's a criminal or a deviant, I really am surprised at the lack of empathy for 17-year-old kids, don't think many here were faced with any kind of comparable pressures at that age. Major junior shouldn't be a meat market, they should be treated as students, sons, and teenagers like they are.
It's not jail. Oh wow, entitled kid from Sask has to move to Prince George and attend high school where everyone is jealous of him and all the girls want to sleep with him. That is junior hockey.

Alex shouldn't have held out, it's a joke you think a franchise needs to cater to a kid who wasn't doing his part.

Alex and his parents chose not to return to PG. The Cougars didn't send him away. If they knew he was going to act like this, they probably wouldn't have used a 1st overall bantam pick on the kid.

I agree, I don't like treating kids like chess pieces, but this kid has as much if not more fault in this situation because he made the choice not to come back. Now it seems he's wised up and realized he made a stupid decision, that probably cost him a draft selection and/or an NHL camp invite.

Old
08-13-2013, 06:23 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post

Great post. Nothing to add.

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 06:32 PM
H44

I hope it works out well for both parties.

H44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 06:42 PM
newfy

Its a privilege not a right to play hockey, dont cry if you dont like the team work something out

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 08:06 PM
randylahey

As someone who has played in the WHL, and with a former 1st overall who asked for a trade from PG, let's set some thing straight. That 1st overall asked for the trade, then *gasp* stayed with the team and played until the trade happened. I get that these are kids, but no one has forced them to play hockey at a high level. I would have played in PG in a heartbeat, and many players have loved their time there.

I hope things work out, but if the new coach Holick can't set him straight, I doubt anyone really can. Hard-nosed coach that appreciates skill.

randylahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 08:44 PM
ZKass The Bass

PG is notorious for poor player treatment, I really hope Forsberg under new management can revive himself and flourish.

ZKass The Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:30 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Agreed. He's definitely more valuable to the Cougars if he actually comes to camp in shape and is competing.
I guess there is a first time for everything

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 10:11 PM
Scarecrow Boat

0g 0a 0pts +/- 0 in his first preseason game back, Prince George won 8-4

Old
09-21-2013, 08:30 AM
wings5

How on earth they gave this kid an " A " is beyond me...

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
How on earth they gave this kid an " A " is beyond me...
Just looked at a box score and saw the same thing. I'm really surprised at that after what transpired last year. No other vets worthy of an 'A'?

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:40 PM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Just looked at a box score and saw the same thing. I'm really surprised at that after what transpired last year. No other vets worthy of an 'A'?
Maybe they wanted to bury the hatchet and let bygones be bygones and the letter was a symbol of that?

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote