HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik not guaranteed the net

Old
11-06-2006, 02:45 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
people are giving weekes WAY too much credit for the last 3 games...

against anaheim the ducks took us lightly and he gave up 3 weak goals but we just happened to score 4. only difference between that game and the games lundqvist lost is that the offense bailed him out.

in sj we caught the sharks coming off a long road trip and they didn't show up for the first 58:00 of the game. they were sleepwalking and really didn't threaten much

and last night weekes only had to make 4 really big saves, the rest of the night he just let the puck hit him for the most part and the only reason we got a point is because the refs tried to gift wrap the win for us with 6 straight PPs.

now don't get me wrong, weekes was solid and deserves credit for giving us some solid efforts but some people seem to be acting as if he was standing on his head making 50 saves and that all our defensive problems are behind us, when imo while our play has improved we've benefit from some good luck also
Sure, Henrik could have done everything Weekes did in those games, but Henrik hasn't gotten it done lately. And Kevin did make the saves and pulled some tough points out. You can argue all day that Lundqvist would or wouldn't have done it, but in the end Weekes was the guy in net and he more or less earned some starts. Give him credit for getting it done. Plus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think all this is, is a way to light a fire under Henrik.

Renney knows deep down that Henrik's success is vital to this team's overall direction. But right now he also knows he needs to light a fire under him a little, get him re-focused and hope for the best.

What Renney is doing is calling out his stars, something that despite my reservations about him is what a lot of coaches have done in the past.

Calling out the fringe guys has never really worked, calling out the stars tends to get a slightly better reaction.
So really no one should get too excited about the recent pattern of starts.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post

So really no one should get too excited about the recent pattern of starts.
Not yet at least, I think there is some degree of concern (a given) but I think we need a little more time to see what happens.

Of course if we're having this discussion on 12/6 instead of 11/6 than I think we have a bit more to get excited about.

But I don't think we're to that point yet.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 04:06 PM
feerlessleadr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falloooooon View Post
I'm curious if anyone thinks Renney could be punishing Lundqvist for something without telling the media to further embarrass him.

I was watching the Kings game on CI and in the final moments, the LA analyst, Jim Fox, said Renney was trying to get Henrik to leave the net but Henrik was ignoring him. The cameras never showed anything to support that, but Fox was going on and on about, mentioning it at least three times.

But Jim Fox is an idiot, so I didn't pay much attention to what he said because I didn't see it myself. But now Henrik hasn't played since, so I wonder a little.

Was anything made of this in NYR land? Was it even noticed/mentioned? Does anyone think this could have anything to do with Lundqvist not playing?
random devils fan here....i actually watched the kings game and heard the same thing from fox but didn't see anything happen. do you think that this is a cause of lundqvist not getting a start since??

feerlessleadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 04:19 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by feerlessleadr View Post
random devils fan here....i actually watched the kings game and heard the same thing from fox but didn't see anything happen. do you think that this is a cause of lundqvist not getting a start since??
No.

If it is, our coach is a ****ing baby.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I hate to get into this discussion again, but I think Renney decided that Weekes needed to play atleast once on the road trip, so he game him a chance to play well against the Ducks. He played good so Renney went with him again,and again he played good, so he got the nod for the Sabres game. I disagree with the Sabres game start, but i'm not the coach so whatever. But I dont think there is any problem between Henrik and Tom, but then again who knows.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 07:37 PM
shoothepuck

Weekes is a backup at best, as shown over and over by his soft goal per game. Yes he has played well, and helped NY get some points, but Lundqvist is the #1. A little fire to jump start him won't hurt.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:10 PM
94now

I think Lundqvist will get the next start since Weekes lost. Here what I expect:

1. More penalties by defense. When Ds are not sure about their goalie they inadvertently view themselves as a last men before the empty net. Thus, they end up in the box.
2. More complains about the defense. Stupid penalties, out of position, etc., in other words anything to excuse Henke
3. Calls for Renney's head. If we loose.
4. Praising Lundqvist. If we win.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
1. More penalties by defense. When Ds are not sure about their goalie they inadvertently view themselves as a last men before the empty net. Thus, they end up in the box.
So first you say the team doesn't try for Lundqvist and now you say they don't have confidence in him? This is how I feel everytime you post...

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Dilettante

From what I've gathered from Sam Weinman's blog it seems Lundqvist doesn't have the confidence he had last year and is getting increasingly frustrated. Seems like he just needs to get some solid wins under his belt to get rolling again, a renewed commitment to team defense could definitely help the cause.

Dilettante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
in other words anything to excuse Henke...
Well isnít that the pot calling the kettle black.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 02:58 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootin'Tyutin View Post
So first you say the team doesn't try for Lundqvist and now you say they don't have confidence in him?
That is pretty much the same thing no matter how you look at it. Even coach admit the problem. Now would be the time for the team leader such as captain or else to get behind Henke, express his confidence in him and to play himself a great forechecking game to help Lundqvist out. Messier did such a things for Mike. That may only be done if Lundqvist is ready for an above average outing. God forbid he'd get killed.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:02 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
The goaltending mystery continues: Renney said he’s not sure who’s starting tomorrow at Florida. When he was asked if there’s any reason why he shouldn’t start Henrik Lundqvist, the coach answered cryptically, “No. Is there any reason I shouldn’t start Weekes?”

“Yes,” a reporter answered.

And with that, the coach just laughed.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

If Lundqvist doesn't get the start tomorrow...

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:13 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sling View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11062006...rry_brooks.htm

"Kevin earned this opportunity," the coach said. "At the same time, I think it helps Henrik identify with the reality that he's not guaranteed the net."

"I talked to him [on Saturday], and he was very good about it, as I expected. He recognizes that competition is healthy for both Kevin and himself, and for our team."

It seems to me that the coach singles out Henrik, of all people, to make his hypocritical point that no one is given a spot on the roster.

I agree that Henrik needed a game or two to regroup, but he should have been back in the net last night. AND, he should not be the player called out publically by Renney.

Here's Henrik's take on his play from the same article:

"If there's one thing that maybe I can point to, it's that I'm losing my focus at times because I've been thinking about our team's play instead of just concentrating on my own."

His amazing focus has been compromised, or corrupted you could say. In the two shootouts this year, there's been proof of Henrik's statement. He was unbeatable and his own team wasn't in front of him.

Hey Renney, what about Roszival, Malik, Betts, Hossa, Rachunek, Ozolinsh? Are they guilty of more or less poor plays than Henrik?

Are there no guarantees for their ice time?

Is there competition for their roster spots?

Have you used Dawes, Pock or anyone else to replace a struggling skater and enforce your notion that everyone has to earn their spot?

Or are you just treating some players one way and other players a different way?
good post, i agree

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote