HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2013, 03:07 PM
KrejciMVP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
What about in the years it takes to fund and build a new stadium? I can't see a new stadium in place before 2020 at the earliest. This city just isn't baseball crazy like it used to be. Does anyone have the numbers of minor league baseball in this city? All those baseball diamonds are becoming either dog parks or soccer fields. This city just won't care.
I refuse to believe that MTL is some dying city that doesn`t care about anything other than hockey. Its the year 2013, this city if on the rebound and baseball has a place here. The 90's were a bad time for baseball here. Things could be way different the 2nd time around.

Old
08-13-2013, 03:13 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
I refuse to believe that MTL is some dying city that doesn`t care about anything other than hockey. Its the year 2013, this city if on the rebound and baseball has a place here. The 90's were a bad time for baseball here. Things could be way different the 2nd time around.
OK. I guess that is your opinion. With recent immigrants and an MLS franchise, Soccer is the new sport in town. The Habs are loved in the winter, and the Impact are being enjoyed in the summer. I have been going to many games this year, 20$ tickets and I live in Rosemont with my girlfriend, so i drive 5 minutes, park on PIE-IX and I am there with minutes to spare.

I just don't see any baseball backing. I don't see a population that cares about this sport after this sport gave up on us. I can't see a franchise succeed long term in Montreal, the support just won't be there. Soccer is the new sport of Canada, and certainly Montreal is following. Every park I see, baseball diamonds are a thing of the passed. Soccer fields are taking over.

Old
08-13-2013, 03:20 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
considering where much of our public money goes, Im happy to spend it on a baseball stadium which would actually bring some joy to the city.
You know what that's not really a bad point, a **** load of public money is wasted all the time

Old
08-13-2013, 03:36 PM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
OK. I guess that is your opinion. With recent immigrants and an MLS franchise, Soccer is the new sport in town. The Habs are loved in the winter, and the Impact are being enjoyed in the summer. I have been going to many games this year, 20$ tickets and I live in Rosemont with my girlfriend, so i drive 5 minutes, park on PIE-IX and I am there with minutes to spare.

I just don't see any baseball backing. I don't see a population that cares about this sport after this sport gave up on us. I can't see a franchise succeed long term in Montreal, the support just won't be there. Soccer is the new sport of Canada, and certainly Montreal is following. Every park I see, baseball diamonds are a thing of the passed. Soccer fields are taking over.
Sorry but MLS will NEVER have and impact on the North American sports scene. To be recognized (outside of MTL) baseball is the only way (however I would welcome NFL and NBA) I went to and Impact game once, very amateur boring soccer. Ive never heard anyone in the office I work (500 people) ever buzzing about an Impact win. I love the world cup and Eurocup which is the best time for soccer in Montreal.

Last edited by KrejciMVP: 08-13-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old
08-13-2013, 04:45 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Sorry but MLS will NEVER have and impact on the North American sports scene. To be recognized (outside of MTL) baseball is the only way (however I would welcome NFL and NBA) I went to and Impact game once, very amateur boring soccer. Ive never heard anyone in the office I work (500 people) ever buzzing about an Impact win. I love the world cup and Eurocup which is the best time for soccer in Montreal.
I don't care about being recognized by North America. Hockey is more than enough for that. When I was a kid I used to go to the park with my baseball bat and glove and we would play pick up baseball games. My young cousins, nieces and nephews do not even own a baseball bat or glove, they have hockey and soccer things. Baseball will not succeed in Montreal and will probably only be a waste of money to the tax payers. I like baseball, grew up playing and I still watch it from time to time. I just won't live in a fantasy and say that all it takes is a downtown stadium. If Montreal wanted baseball, the fans would of showed up when we had a team.

Old
08-13-2013, 04:54 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
It already has an impact on the North American sports scene. You just need to look at the attendance averages vs the Big 4 leagues and the results of the USMNT with MLS developed players. Also, lol @ "amateur boring soccer". You explain me why many of these amateurs from the MLS get transferred to good European leagues.

Baseball is dead in Montreal. Deal with it.

Old
08-13-2013, 05:50 PM
TorontoSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
It already has an impact on the North American sports scene. You just need to look at the attendance averages vs the Big 4 leagues and the results of the USMNT with MLS developed players. Also, lol @ "amateur boring soccer". You explain me why many of these amateurs from the MLS get transferred to good European leagues.

Baseball is dead in Montreal. Deal with it.
Ummmm... no it is certainly not dead...

https://www.facebook.com/ExposNation

A couple thousand expos fans took over a jays game last month. If the Jets can go back to winnipeg than I certainly believe the MLB, a league that does not have another feasible place to put a baseball team in North America, can return to Montreal.

I don't believe in the arguments about soccer fields being created and baseball minor leagues not existing. Soccer fields have been around in Canada for decades. Montreal has tasted Baseball at its highest level and will not settle for a minor league. the MLS is far away from being the best soccer league in the World and even though I do enjoy the league it's not on the levels of the Major sports leagues in North America. The CFL on ESPN2 has similar numbers to the MLS on ESPN2 and there is no American CFL team.

If I could bet on Montreal having a team within 10 years I'd take that bet. Selig is going to retire soon anyway.

Old
08-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
In 5 years from now the product on the field will be a lot better. MLS has already improved a lot since the past 5 years. They are investing a lot to acquire quality players and important investors are being attracted here. A guy like Arnaud on the impact was among the best players 5 years ago, right now he can't even make a starting lineup.

I've jumped on the impact bandwagon since last year and I hope soccer takes more media attention in the summer. We have a great club that can compete for the title every year.

Old
08-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Mynameismark*

Nobody cares about Soccer. Soccer is what you put your little kids in because it's cheap and they can run around and get some exersize while not really learning anything because we dont have the coaching and development to make these kids better. Then when it's time to get serious you start putting them in Hockey....or now to a lesser extent Football, which is actually getting bigger among young people, at least in terms of playing.

The impact team could walk about downtown unnoticed.

Old
08-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Keep it on topic, guys. Baseball talk only.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:15 PM
KrejciMVP

Imagine the revenue stream from families all over the North East spending their hard earned dollars in MTL to see their team play the new Expos. NY and Boston have a huge following of fans. I remember seeing the Expos and Redsox play in interleague play where 30k redsox fans showed up and flooded the Big O.

I believe MTL has some of the best fans out there and I imagine jumping on the bandwagon of playing the sox, yanks, and TO 18 times a year each would ignite this city and the sport of baseball.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Meh
If it could help the Canadiens media-wise why not
It didn't help the Habs the first time when the Expos were there. Cause hockey will always be number one. For example I don't think i've ever heard heated debates about baseball when the Expos were there. People just saw the Expos differently, it's something fun that you go to during the summer like the Jazz festival.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
You know what that's not really a bad point, a **** load of public money is wasted all the time
They will waste it anyway on top of paying for the expos return.

I personally don't care about baseball. It's nothing like a Winnipeg jets return but if its brought back and there's a big enough interest I wouldn't complain. Let people enjoy it.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:34 PM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

Why the stadium has to be downtown? Too much to take the metro 10 mins to go to pie IX?
Sorry but real fans wouldnt use the location as an excuse

Old
08-13-2013, 07:34 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Not if it costs the public any cash... They already got plenty of it and in the end failed. Since it would be virtually impossible without using tax dollars, my answer is no! Stay out of this province! Thanks.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:36 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Expos fans would welcome them again. Tax payers wouldn't.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:42 PM
AntonCH

Quote:

Perspective is everything
just because you don't see something in your little corner of the world it doesnt mean that it doesnt exist
Or would you like to tell the kids of NDG that?
They've recently appeared at the minor leaugue world series

Baseball HAS a following in this city and is missed by many
Many like me who are able to buy many more tickets then when they were kids, many like me who grew up listening to the game because not all games were broadcast.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:45 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

I don't care whether the sport is missed or not, you people need some serious perspective on how much it would cost to actually get into MLB. We're talking 750,000,000$ and up just for the damn franchise plus the stadium cost on top of it. You are nuts if you think anybody in this province is going to agree footing the bill for that.

You'd be better off starting your own Canadian professional baseball league.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:45 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Why the stadium has to be downtown? Too much to take the metro 10 mins to go to pie IX?
This. But the Big O does suck.

Old
08-13-2013, 07:47 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
I'm in total disagreement with you. The Olympic Stadium isn't a place I'd like to get my girlfriend to, nor my family and heck, I don't even want to be there myself. There's many reasons why people hate this place ; it's boring, pieces are falling everywhere, there's no atmosphere, it's ugly as hell and it gives me headaches.

Old
08-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
waste of money for the "joy" of small % of the population.

Bring em back with private money.
Agreed

Quote:
I continue to have this discussion with my friends, and I don't see if being feasible. Way too many games. I would maybe go to 20 games max a year, and I considered myself a big Expos fan before they moved. I just don't see them getting 10 000-15 000 people in the seats on week night games, especially against nobody teams.
Agreed on this also. The business of baseball has changed significantly since Expos left town. Not sure there is enough money in this town both individuals or corporation to insure 20-25k average. Baseball is a romanticized notion in Montreal kept alive by Melnyk and his posse.

A new ballpark is a tremendous obstacle as well as the seat licensing and increased ticket prices common in MLB. Yes the Rays would make it attractive but I don't see how we can compete long term financially.

Old
08-13-2013, 08:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
By the reasoning of location it's like saying Pheonix would sell out if it wasn't in the Glendale area. Get more people? Absolutely but it's always a stretch to assume perfection. Hardcore fans will go either way. Casual fans may or may not go.

Old
08-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
By the reasoning of location it's like saying Pheonix would sell out if it wasn't in the Glendale area. Get more people? Absolutely but it's always a stretch to assume perfection. Hardcore fans will go either way. Casual fans may or may not go.
Respectfully disagree.. Big O is a huge hindrance for a team coming to Montreal. The place is about to be condemned. Even if they would overcome that hurdle, the place is a terrible venue for sporting events. I'm a Impact supporter but will not attend games at the Big O because of the terrible atmosphere and location. BTW I feel the same with Saputo stadium, getting there is difficult, parking is awful, getting into the stadium is an adventure. No issues once inside, but there are enough deterrents that I did not renew my season tickets.

Old
08-13-2013, 08:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Respectfully disagree.. Big O is a huge hindrance for a team coming to Montreal. The place is about to be condemned. Even if they would overcome that hurdle, the place is a terrible venue for sporting events. I'm a Impact supporter but will not attend games at the Big O because of the terrible atmosphere and location. BTW I feel the same with Saputo stadium, getting there is difficult, parking is awful, getting into the stadium is an adventure. No issues once inside, but there are enough deterrents that I did not renew my season tickets.
You're arguing facility, not location.

Old
08-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You're arguing facility, not location.
I though I clearly identified both

Closed Thread