HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conspiracy Thread: Nedved

Old
11-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Doc Hock

vCash: 500
The Habs are doing quite well, their real problem down the road will be the extra D and they'll have to make a trade. Perhaps Nedved is coming our way now and in a few weeks Streit is going to Philly for a pre determined draft pick.

Just an idea not even a hunch

doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
terreur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hock View Post
The Habs are doing quite well, their real problem down the road will be the extra D and they'll have to make a trade. Perhaps Nedved is coming our way now and in a few weeks Streit is going to Philly for a pre determined draft pick.

Just an idea not even a hunch

doc hock
Nah, i just think that the Flyers want to get rid of Nedved.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
big_habs_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Yes, TSN said that they're hoping someone picks him up (or that's what they're speculating, anyway), but I think they have the Habs in mind in particular. Gainey and the Flyers' GM may have even worked out a deal in advance. Flyers call him up, Habs claim him for half salary. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go down.
I think the more likely target of this call up would be Phoenix. It was recently announced that their #1 centre and top scorer Mike Comrie will be out for at least a month with a broken foot. They were already depleted at centre before this.

Add to that the fact that Nedved was already with Phoenix once before. I think the Flyers are banking on them taking him back out of desperation (they are clearly a desperate team - which we are not).

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Cue the X-Files opening theme.

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:45 PM
terreur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombThreat View Post
Cue the X-Files opening theme.
By the way I love your avatar.. he is the coolest dod with the Willy Waller.

Des bonnes patates!!!

Old
11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_habs_fan View Post
I think the more likely target of this call up would be Phoenix. It was recently announced that their #1 centre and top scorer Mike Comrie will be out for at least a month with a broken foot. They were already depleted at centre before this.

Add to that the fact that Nedved was already with Phoenix once before. I think the Flyers are banking on them taking him back out of desperation (they are clearly a desperate team - which we are not).
And then theres Chicago, who lost Handzus, next in picking order. I agree, there are far more desperate teams than Habs out there.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:49 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

I don't say I want the habs to take Nedved but I find it's strange that nobody from the Bulldogs has been called up since we know that Higgins will be out of the lineup for six weeks.

I don't really know what I think about it but I wouldn't be surprise to see us claim Nedved in the next hours.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_habs_fan View Post
...(they are clearly a desperate team - which we are not).
Things are so tight that we're a short losing streak away from being exactly that. Better to plan ahead, IMO.

Should be an interesting few weeks, anyway.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:54 PM
terreur

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 View Post
I don't say I want the habs to take Nedved but I find it's strange that nobody from the Bulldogs has been called up since we know that Higgins will be out of the lineup for six weeks.

I don't really know what I think about it but I wouldn't be surprise to see us claim Nedved in the next hours.
We will probably be hearing from that later this afternoon. It's not so urgent because we have our squad for tonight. They will probably anounce it this afternoon so the call up will be there for tommorows practice.

Old
11-07-2006, 02:00 PM
tiz

If it costs us $750,000 to give him a try, then what happens if we waive him after? If it's nothing, I'm not too concerned and why don't we give him a try?

Last edited by tiz: 11-07-2006 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

His cap hit for the remainder of the season would be just over 900K, not 750K. I thought he played pretty well in his game against the Habs earlier this season and has played well in the AHL. He's big and can still skate, so personally I think it's a move worth considering, but I won't shed any tears if the Habs don't land him. I'd try him with Sammy and Kovalev.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:10 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I'd take him, and waive him when Higgins returns. He's still got some in the tank.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Quiet Robert

At 750K, it would be a good risk to take considering Higgins is likely out for 6 weeks. (It makes me sad just typing that.)

I wouldn't be all that suprised if it's announced Gainey claimed him later on today. It's clearly a calculated move by Philly trying to bait teams with injury problems. I doubt there's something worked out b/w Habs and Philly, but hearing that Higgins is out long term probably helped them make the decision to call him up.

Either way for 750K, it wouldn't be that bad. He's big, has a good shot and can still skate, all good attributes in the NNHL.

He's UFA at the end of the year though right? If so, I'd have absolutely no problem with it. If we have to keep him for another year after that, it might be a problem.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Duster

He set to earn almost 2.4 million next year....

http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/

For 900K, I doubt he passes through waivers without one of the weaker teams claiming him. Phoenix comes to mind.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
He set to earn almost 2.4 million next year....

http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/

For 900K, I doubt he passes through waivers without one of the weaker teams claiming him. Phoenix comes to mind.
I don't know if that's what you meant, but it's a little over 2.3M this year only. He's UFA next year.

Taking off salary for games already played, cap hit is about $0.9M for the team picking him off waivers as you say.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 04:11 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
The Habs don't need Nedved.Someone in the minors would do a much better job
Agree !

Higgins will be back before Christmas, Bouillon too. Dandenault. pretty soon. We have 12 healthy forwards, 6 d-men. 1 or 2 callups from Hamilton should be enough. My choice: Maxim Lapierre.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 04:43 PM
MacHabs93

Couldn't the Flyers have just called him up to replace the injured Carter ?

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 04:45 PM
big_habs_fan

I suspect that's the real reason - I don't doubt though that they wouldn't mind if he got nabbed. He certainly isn't in their long term plans.

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Turbo

So did he clear waivers? Shouldn't we have found out around now?

Just curious given the amount of talk & rumors on Nedved yesterday.

Old
11-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Anyone else find it too convenient that the Flyers have recalled Nedved right after it became public that Higgins would be out for a long stretch? I think they're baiting the Habs, myself, knowing that he fills a gap.

Would you bite? Do you think Gainey will?
Good lord...let hope not. We don't need ANYTHING that Nedved has to offer. He's slow, lazy, and wouldn't fit in with the speedy Habs.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Maxpac

why are we talking about Nedved when we have the 10th overall pick in the deepest draft ever wasting his time in the AHL?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume the great! View Post
why are we talking about Nedved when we have the 10th overall pick in the deepest draft ever wasting his time in the AHL?
Just a depth option in case those AHL players don't immediately live up to expectations. I believe Kost & Lapierre will eventually be integral parts of this team and may very well make an immediate contribution, but it's a lot to ask for rookies to be immediately effective. Nedved would obviously not a "first choice" type deal. This is why it warrants discussion.

But this is moot because it seems he cleared waivers with no team willing to pick him up. That's just fine as well as I'm sure other options will come up should they eventually be needed. He's now back in Philly's line-up to replace the injured Carter.