HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Thread (chat room link in first post)

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2013, 12:25 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
2014 NHL Entry Draft Thread (chat room link in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
If you guys want to use the chat

My link from last year should still work.

http://cbe003.chat.mibbit.com/?chann...=irc.rizon.net
Some links to early, preliminary rankings, and such:

Bobby Mac's early list (the only one that really matters):
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=31165
FC's early top thirty:
http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...014-nhl-draft/

McKeen's Hockey early top thirty:
http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft-b...hl-draft-list/

WHL From Above:
http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...nhl-draft.html

Brock Otten's early top thirty from the OHL:
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...draft.html?m=1

Crazy Craig Button's Colorful List:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

I'll add more and update. Please offer suggestions for links, lists and anything else and I'll edit/update.

Last edited by SniperHF: 06-27-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old
08-13-2013, 12:26 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

We've got regulars in Manitoba sitll, right? Please go to some Wheaties games and get us some scouting reports on Jayce Hawryluk. I'm loving the highlights.

Also we've got guys in Portland, right. Go see the Hawks and report on Chase De Leo. I really like what I've seen so far. Reminds me a little bit of Kadri and Domi the seasons before their respective draft years. Just more burried on a deep Portland team than Kadri and Domi were in Kitchener and London.

hbk, do you ever make it out to Kelowna? Tyson Baillie seems like the quintessential Phoenix pick. Love some reports on him.

Chootoi, I don't know if PEI make it out to Moncton much, but Alexis Pepin seems a lot like a mix of our last two high profile Q picks, sort of smashed together a bit. Any thoughts on him? Will you get to see him at all this season?

Let's get a little chatter going on these kids.

Any of you Canadian fellas watching The Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament ? We don't get it in the States.

Old
08-13-2013, 08:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Alright, so who have you guys seen play already? I've only seen a few of the guys who might actually be in our range. I'm going to say we pick after #15 for sure, which rules out some of the players certain to go much sooner like Leon Draisaitl, Haydn Fleury, and Jake Virtanen. So likely in our likely range I've seen only Chase De Leo, Joshua Ho Sang, Brayden Point, and Conner Bleackley.

Ho Sang was extremely impressive to me. Ray Whitney clone. There are rumors of attitude issues, though. Which generally rules out kids as Coyotes picks. Where as Whitney was one of the most affable, popular, and nicest guys of his era, Ho-Sang may be the other kind of guy. We'll see what comes out as the spotlight shines brighter. My guess is that he performs so well statistically, that nobody cares about the character stuff and he goes way before our pick anyway. He's definitely a human highlight reel, though. A lot like Max Domi, with those crazy, breath taking moves.

Chase De Leo is another little flashy guy like Ho Sang. He got limited time when I saw him, but a nifty little player. Not afraid to mix it up, either. Not quite as stocky or aggressive as Domi. But certainly approaching that same pit bull status. His twitter is pretty funny, and you should check it out if you have a chance. He's like a little BizNasty but from SoCal. Funny little guy from a non-traditional market. I really like drafting kids from outside of normal markets.

Brayden Point is another nifty little player. Really impressive when I saw him. Buy MY GOD is he SMALLLLLL. Like Rocco Grimaldi small. In fact, he's just like Rocco Grimaldi, period. Seriously, plays just like him. Although he doesn't have the fanatical evangelical personality that is so off putting to so many. Haha. Rocco is a nutcase and teams were scared. I'm sure Point will interview better. Haha. I can't see us taking anyone this tiny in the first. He'll do like Nic Petan, I'm sure.

Conner Bleackley is not small. Already big and strong. Barely played when I saw him. Reminds me of Bo Horvat. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.

Soooooooooo....

Who have you guys seen? What are your thoughts?

Old
08-13-2013, 10:22 PM
lanky

I've seen a little bit of Ekblad, Bennett and Draisatl and each impressed me enough to figure they're out of reach for the Coyotes.

I usually scan these early lists for large centres that are ranked in the second half of the first and I make them my favourites without actually knowing anything about them. Pepin (QMJHL), Kempe (Swe) and Tuch (NTDP) seem to fit so I'll be hoping to catch glimpses of them.

Old
08-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

What we do know from history that at least 3 or 4 of the current top 20 players will become late firsts or early 2nd picks.

So literally anyone but Nylander, Reinhart, Richie or Draisaitl could be there when we pick.

I haven't see any of the foreign guys besides Draisaitl, and have seen limited viewing from last season junior league games...but right now I want not in any particular order.

Dal Colle, Schmaltz, Bennett or McCann

Old
08-13-2013, 11:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I really hope that the NHLN still picks up a few Sportsnet CHL games this season. Why can't there be a CHL channel? Don't we have enough Canadian transplants here to justify it? Haha. Hell, even just the Hlinka, Super Series, U-20, U-18, and Mem Cup would be enough for me. Sadly, I expect only the U20 and the MemCup this year. None of the other great stuff. Bummer.

Old
08-14-2013, 04:32 AM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I really hope that the NHLN still picks up a few Sportsnet CHL games this season. Why can't there be a CHL channel? Don't we have enough Canadian transplants here to justify it? Haha. Hell, even just the Hlinka, Super Series, U-20, U-18, and Mem Cup would be enough for me. Sadly, I expect only the U20 and the MemCup this year. None of the other great stuff. Bummer.
I can literally drive to the Canadian border from where I live in less than an hour and the cable network I currently have doesn't even have NHL network. NFL Network and MLB Network? Yep, but NHL? I don't think the cable network has even heard of it. Being a hockey fan in the US sucks. I would have to pay extra for some stupid unnecessary sports package just to have the right to order NHL center Ice. Man I can't wait to get my Directv back up and running. I hate moving halfway across the country and getting settled in a new place/ job.

Old
08-14-2013, 08:45 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
I can literally drive to the Canadian border from where I live in less than an hour and the cable network I currently have doesn't even have NHL network. NFL Network and MLB Network? Yep, but NHL? I don't think the cable network has even heard of it. Being a hockey fan in the US sucks. I would have to pay extra for some stupid unnecessary sports package just to have the right to order NHL center Ice. Man I can't wait to get my Directv back up and running. I hate moving halfway across the country and getting settled in a new place/ job.
What state do you live in?

Old
08-14-2013, 08:50 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Uh. Oh.

http://www.barriecolts.com/roster/show/id/10954

Claude Lemieux's kid is eligible and lists Phoenix as his home town. Haha. There goes our 2nd rounder.

EDIT: plays just like his dad, too. Haha.

Suspensions and fights (even one against Pat Verbeek's kid, no REALLY-haha):
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...212055409.html

And speaking of NHL sons in this draft. Not only do we have Lemieux projected to go 2nd/3rd round but Donald Audette's boy expected to go late 1st or 2nd round and the son of Al MacInnis is thought of as solidly in the 1st round. Haha.

Last edited by rt: 08-14-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old
08-14-2013, 09:34 AM
XX
He's a good guy

Fully expect to be picking no earlier than 20th. May as well go BPA.

Old
08-14-2013, 11:26 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Agreed on BPA. Whoever we pick is so far away, anyhow. Still, even with our first three picks in the last draft being forwards, and having picked two forwards in the last two first rounds, I still feel like we aren't nearly covered in that category, just yet. As much as I love Samuelsson, I don't see him as a first line player, really. Same for Lessio and Brown. Dauphin is like this huge wild card who is a long ways away, himself. Domi is really the only guy who's got that top line potential that SEVERAL of our D prospects have. Still, I doubt we get a forward like that as late as we'll probably draft. Hard to adjust my head into wanting a D in the first round again, though. Haha. It's been so many years since I was rooting for a D.

Old
08-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Chootoi, I don't know if PEI make it out to Moncton much, but Alexis Pepin seems a lot like a mix of our last two high profile Q picks, sort of smashed together a bit. Any thoughts on him? Will you get to see him at all this season?
The Q had their best draft year in a long long time in 2013, but 2014 is pretty weak in comparison. Pepin (Charlottetown) and Barbashev (Moncton) are the only two IMO with legitimate 1st round skill and potential right now. You could also make a case for Mason Macdonald (Acadie-Bathurst) as a 1st rounder but he's a goalie so it's tough to compare.

Luckily for me all 3 teams are in the same division so I'll get to see lots of them. What I like about Pepin is that he does everything at top speed, and he can be put into just about any role and he will excel. Plus he's already got pro size and strength. There's nothing not to like there. Your comparison is pretty good, but I find he's closer to Samuelsson than Domi. I'm not sure he has quite top end offensive skill that Domi has.

Barbashev has some of those Semin-like flashes of pants-creaming goodness, but then you won't notice him for a period and a half. It's tough to judge young players on consistency though, because there's still a lot of maturing to do. Barbashev should have a top 6 role for Russia at the WJC this year. He'll also get top line minutes in Moncton.

One other guy that I'm excited about keeping an eye on is Vladimir Tkachev, who will be a linemate of Barbashev. He's not on many people's radar but he outscored both Barbashev and Nichuskin at the U-18's. Nobody knows a whole lot about him except from a few flashy U-18 highlights.

Old
08-14-2013, 12:02 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Good news is that the Yotes will see PLENTY of Pepin while scouting Yan-Pavel Laplante.

Same with De Leo who is teammates with Brendan Burke.

Al MacInnis' kid will play for Kitchener, and we know Don likes to keep an eye on his Rangers.

Old
08-14-2013, 01:36 PM
lanky

Holy smokes is Brock ever bullish on the 2014 OHL crop. Best since 03!

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...draft.html?m=1

Old
08-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
What state do you live in?
Ohio. It takes less about 45 minutes to get to Detroit, and you can be in Windsor within an hour.

Old
08-15-2013, 12:23 AM
ccgg

Quote:
We've got regulars in Manitoba sitll, right? Please go to some Wheaties games and get us some scouting reports on Jayce Hawryluk. I'm loving the highlights.

Also we've got guys in Portland, right. Go see the Hawks and report on Chase De Leo. I really like what I've seen so far. Reminds me a little bit of Kadri and Domi the seasons before their respective draft years. Just more burried on a deep Portland team than Kadri and Domi were in Kitchener and London.

hbk, do you ever make it out to Kelowna? Tyson Baillie seems like the quintessential Phoenix pick. Love some reports on him.

Let's get a little chatter going on these kids.

Any of you Canadian fellas watching The Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament ? We don't get it in the States.
Alexis Pépin and Yan-Pavel Laplante have a lot of chemistry on the ice together ! Pépin will likely play on the top line this season as the Charlottetown Islanders are rebuilding. I expect 0,8 or 0,85 points per game this season for Pépin. He plays mainly as a center but he is "ok" on the left wing.

Pépin is more a goalscorer than a playmaker. He has a very good wrist shot. He is a big powerforward who likes to destroy the others players with big hits. He is very strong and he protects the puck well. He is good along the board and the net. He was a fluid skater (not fast but not bad... he was average for a big 16 years old rookie) but this summer he was crap as he is now 230+ lbs. I think he is fine around 215-220 lbs.

But, he doesn't have a high IQ, he isn't good defensively, and his work ethic (when he was not on a line with Laplante or Josh Currie (do the coyotes signed him?)) was up and down. He is a skilled but inconsistent player too. Often, he will takes stupid penalties. I'm not that good with comparisons, but maybe Ryan Malone (really not sure about it), maybe Chris Stewart. Right now, I think that he has a second line upside, but he should develop as a 30-40 points player.

Last edited by ccgg: 08-15-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old
08-16-2013, 05:30 PM
euro35

Point 4 inches taller Than Grimaldi

Quote:
Alright, so who have you guys seen play already? I've only seen a few of the guys who might actually be in our range. I'm going to say we pick after #15 for sure, which rules out some of the players certain to go much sooner like Leon Draisaitl, Haydn Fleury, and Jake Virtanen. So likely in our likely range I've seen only Chase De Leo, Joshua Ho Sang, Brayden Point, and Conner Bleackley.

Ho Sang was extremely impressive to me. Ray Whitney clone. There are rumors of attitude issues, though. Which generally rules out kids as Coyotes picks. Where as Whitney was one of the most affable, popular, and nicest guys of his era, Ho-Sang may be the other kind of guy. We'll see what comes out as the spotlight shines brighter. My guess is that he performs so well statistically, that nobody cares about the character stuff and he goes way before our pick anyway. He's definitely a human highlight reel, though. A lot like Max Domi, with those crazy, breath taking moves.

Chase De Leo is another little flashy guy like Ho Sang. He got limited time when I saw him, but a nifty little player. Not afraid to mix it up, either. Not quite as stocky or aggressive as Domi. But certainly approaching that same pit bull status. His twitter is pretty funny, and you should check it out if you have a chance. He's like a little BizNasty but from SoCal. Funny little guy from a non-traditional market. I really like drafting kids from outside of normal markets.

Brayden Point is another nifty little player. Really impressive when I saw him. Buy MY GOD is he SMALLLLLL. Like Rocco Grimaldi small. In fact, he's just like Rocco Grimaldi, period. Seriously, plays just like him. Although he doesn't have the fanatical evangelical personality that is so off putting to so many. Haha. Rocco is a nutcase and teams were scared. I'm sure Point will interview better. Haha. I can't see us taking anyone this tiny in the first. He'll do like Nic Petan, I'm sure.
Dont know when you saw Point but unless Gramildi Grew 4 inches I dont see these two as the same size Point listed 5ft 9.5 160 not big but not 5ft 6
Conner Bleackley is not small. Already big and strong. Barely played when I saw him. Reminds me of Bo Horvat. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.

Soooooooooo....

Who have you guys seen? What are your thoughts?
Point alot Taller Than Grimaldi Point 5ft 9.5 not 5ft 6

Old
08-16-2013, 05:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't buy 5'9.5. That's Max Domi's height. Point looks much shorter.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:15 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I've gone back and re-watched three or for Portland games to have another look at De Leo. He's impressive. Not nearly as much as say Kadri or Domi were the year prior to their draft years, but impressive flashes nonetheless. The guy who really melts standing out to me though was Petan. I didn't really appreciate him as much on first views but in retrospect...damn. If he adapts his game to be more peripheral and less in the house, he could be like Ray Whitney. I'd love to acquire this player from Winnipeg somehow.

De Leo is one to watch, though. He's got a lot of work to do. He needs to do a Better job of keeping his feet moving because he's such a small guy. He isn't intimidated but he needs to be smarter for his size. He's got a switch, though, and when he flips it, he's deadly lethal offensively. It's just not consistent. He's not creating these chances shift after shift. He's young though. First season in the Dub, coming from Los Angeles. Can't be easy. Didn't exactly have top line mates, then again didn't quite face top checking.

Old
09-07-2013, 02:00 PM
letowskie

Quote:
I don't buy 5'9.5. That's Max Domi's height. Point looks much shorter.
That might be a slight exaggeration, but probably not too far off. It's just that in comparison he looks out of the ordinary, as pro hockey players are generally much bigger than the average joe on the street. Hockey has become a big man's game these days, so players like Kariya or Camalleri look so diminutive compared to other players on ice.

Old
09-20-2013, 02:44 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Added Bob McKenzie and Craig Buttons early lists. Craig has a new one out in a couple of weeks.

Old
09-20-2013, 02:51 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
That might be a slight exaggeration, but probably not too far off. It's just that in comparison he looks out of the ordinary, as pro hockey players are generally much bigger than the average joe on the street. Hockey has become a big man's game these days, so players like Kariya or Camalleri look so diminutive compared to other players on ice.
Never seen either against pro players. Just fellow juniors. I know Domi is 5'9.5" because I've seen the tape. Him standing against it at the combine. That's his height.

Point is shorter than that by a noticeable amount.

Last edited by rt: 09-20-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old
09-22-2013, 06:39 PM
zLiMbiLLY

Since we always pick a fave swede, I pick Adrian Kempe.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:09 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Uh. Oh.

http://www.barriecolts.com/roster/show/id/10954

Claude Lemieux's kid is eligible and lists Phoenix as his home town. Haha. There goes our 2nd rounder.

EDIT: plays just like his dad, too. Haha.

Suspensions and fights (even one against Pat Verbeek's kid, no REALLY-haha):
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...212055409.html

And speaking of NHL sons in this draft. Not only do we have Lemieux projected to go 2nd/3rd round but Donald Audette's boy expected to go late 1st or 2nd round and the son of Al MacInnis is thought of as solidly in the 1st round. Haha.
It's Pat Verbeek's nephew, not son. Sorry, had to butt in

Old
09-22-2013, 10:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Portland lost two thirds of their first line in Leipsic and Rattie. Looks like De Leo and Bjorkstrand are filling in with Petan and all three are off to a crazy hot start.

Closed Thread